New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Make a sword and use it! [PrC]

Combat Artisan

Anvil, warforged combat artisan

Fluff coming, but my head feels like it's full of wet rags.

HD: d8

Requirements
    BAB: +4
    Skills: Craft (weaponsmith or armorsmith) 8 ranks, Martial Lore 2 ranks, Use Magic Device 4 ranks
    Feats: Any Craft feat
    Maneuvers: Ability to use 2nd level maneuvers, including at least one strike and one stance.
    Infusions: Ability to use 1st level infusions.

Class Skills: Appraise, Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Disable Device, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (the planes), Martial Lore, Open Lock, Profession, Search, Spellcraft, Swim, Tumble and Use Magic Device.
    Skill-points per level: 4+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Infusions
    1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Craft reserve, martial craftsman|--
    2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Craft wondrous item|+1 of existing infusion using class
    3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|--|+1 of existing infusion using class
    4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Wandstrike stance|--
    5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Craft magical arms and armor|+1 of existing infusion using class
    6th|+6|+5|+2|+2|--|+1 of existing infusion using class
    7th|+7|+5|+2|+2|Stance of unmaking|--
    8th|+8|+6|+2|+2|Craft wand|+1 of existing infusion using class
    9th|+9|+6|+3|+3|--|+1 of existing infusion using class
    10th|+10|+7|+3|+3|Warrior craftsman stance|--
    [/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
    1st|0|0|1
    2nd|1|0|0
    3rd|1|0|0
    4th|0|1|0
    5th|0|0|0
    6th|1|0|1
    7th|1|0|0
    8th|0|0|0
    9th|0|1|0
    10th|1|0|0
    [/table]

Maneuvers: At each level except 1st, 4th, 5th, 8th and 9th, a combat artisan gains new maneuvers known from the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart or Stone Dragon disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full combat artisan levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
    At levels 4th and 9th, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 1st and 6th levels, you learn a new martial stance from the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart or Stone Dragon disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Infusions: At each level except 1st, 4th, 7th and 10th, a combat artisan gain an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in a infusion-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained(except Craft Reserve, see below). If you had more than one infusion-using class before becoming a spirit craftsman, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining caster level.

Craft Reserve: Your combat skill and item creation talents begin to grow with equal measure. Your artificer and combat artisan levels stack for determining your craft reserve.

Martial Craftsman (Ex): Your skill for creating and enhancing tools of war improve a great deal. Whenever crafting weapons, armor or shields(including creating or enhancing magical versions) you may decrease the the crafting time and XP cost by 25%. Additionally, any infusions you can use to enhance weapons or armor are cast with a +1 to caster level.

Craft Wondrous Item: At 2nd level, you are capable of using your skill to create magical tools for almost every circumstance. You gain the Craft Wondrous Item feat as a bonus feat. If you already have this feat you may instead take another Item Creation feat for which you qualify.

Wandstrike Stance (Su): At 4th level, you gain a unique stance that allows you to use wands you have as substantial martial weapons. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. When in this stance, you may treat any wand you have as a weapon capable of delivering devastating magic. Wands used in this respect are treated as light maces with no enhancement bonus(unless otherwise stated in the wand's description) but are still treated as magic for overcoming damage reduction.
    Additionally, whenever you strike an opponent with one of your wands, you may choose to spend one of the charges in the wand and effect the stricken opponent with the spell in the wand. This method of wand use will allow multiple uses of the spell, if capable of making multiple attacks through high base attack bonus or haste. Any one opponent cannot be effected by the same wand more than once a round. Some spells can be used in this fashion, but may not be well suited to, with fireball as an example.

Craft Magical Arms and Armor: At 5th level, you are capable of crafting the very tools of war you use yourself. You gain the Craft Magical Arms and Armor feat as a bonus feat. If you already have this feat you may take another Item Creation feat for which you qualify.

Stance of Unmaking (Su): Your talent for making is incredible, and with this stance attained at 7th level, so is your talent for unmaking. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. When in this stance, you are capable of obliterating or repressing the magic within magic items or constructs. If you make a melee attack against a magical item or construct of any kind that deals damage to it, you may choose to unbind the magic within it. If stricken, the item or construct must make a Fortitude save (DC 10+half initiator level+Int modifier) or be rendered completely unmagical for 24 hours. Magical items become either useless, or in the case of weapons, armor and shields, simply masterwork. In the case of constructs, they become inert until the 24 hour duration is complete. This does not work on artifacts of any sort.

Craft Wand: At 8th level, you become capable of making the items charged with many uses of magical energy. You gain the Craft Wand feat as a bonus feat. If you already have this feat, you may instead take an Item Creation feat for which you qualify.

Warrior Craftsman Stance (Ex): At 10th level, your ability to craft, enhance and fight are all fused into one element. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. When in this stance, and initiating a martial maneuver with an initiating time of 1 standard action or less, you may opt to use it as a full-round action and use any infusion you know as a swift action in the same round. Additionally, any magical weapon, armor or shield you have on your person has an effective enhancement bonus of one higher than it actually is. This cannot push a magic item's effective enhancement bonus beyond +10. Finally, if any magic item on your person is ever sundered, you may opt to instead make it magically inert for 1d4+1 hours instead of having it destroyed forever.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2009-11-10 at 06:43 PM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Make a sword and use it! [PrC]

I like the idea of a martial crafter, but know too little about artificiers to make any real statements. Awesome picture though, where is it from?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    I like the idea of a martial crafter, but know too little about artificiers to make any real statements. Awesome picture though, where is it from?
    Races of Eberron.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

hmmm. Intreasting.

For wandstrike, I think it would need to be limited a bit more. Going the haste + TWF, getting high fire resistance, you could consevably go nova really well (4-6 fireballs in one round). While it probably wont be used too often (because of fast draining charges), it would allow the class to go nova on a BBEG or some other poor sap.

Maybe something like.... During a full attack option any one of the attacks you can choose to have the wand go off.... or that a single target cannot be affected more than once during an attack.

I really like the idea too.

Stance of unmaking... is there a limit to how many objects can be affected at one time? (for example you can only have 3 obects unmade at any one time, if you attempt to unmake a 4th object you must return one other previously unmade object back to magical status).

Also i would see the save as more of a will save. Fort for constructs, but a will for effecting objects worn/held.

the only other thing i see is (basically)full artificer infusion progression and also a decent amount of TOB. maybe....every other level you gain +infusions?
    Mostly because the class seems to get so much already.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

So far so good.... but one thing.

This should totally have a combat crafting fabricate-like ability so you can pull clubs out of walls or swords out of sidewalks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, you.....Stop making cool classes.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Necroswanso View Post
    Hey, you.....Stop making cool classes.
    Make me.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I like the idea, but I would tone down the progression of Infusion advancement a little. Sadly, to mess with much else actually gimps the class hard. Yet this is powerful as all get out.

The only limit I would really place is that the wand strike may not be used with the metamagic spell-charge ability. (That would get too stupid for words with quick draw)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    Make me.
    Curse you and your logic.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Very good stuff as usual Krimm :)

Outside of agreeing with the statements of slowing down the infusion progression a little, my only other question is how does the stance of unmaking affect living constructs like warforged?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I lowered the infusion progression to 6/10th instead of 8/10th.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

This is amazing. It seems about perfect, although I really do wish it could have at least 1 more infusions level... maybe at 10th?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    This is amazing. It seems about perfect, although I really do wish it could have at least 1 more infusions level... maybe at 10th?
    I'd rather not, I've got a good balance there with all the missed levels so evenly spaced... Not to mention it helps balance the artificer's great power as a class.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

You do have a really good balance of the things granted by level for sure. That's what I meant when I said it seems about perfect :D

Excellent PrC. I'd have never thought to do this.

I wonder what it would look like as a base class...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

i really like this class. I've always been drawn to the artificer but also wanted to use any weapons i made effectively. thx for making it

16. - Top - End - #16
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: A nice sentiment, but please review the Forum Rules on Thread Necromancy.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex