New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Ye Heavens Above [IC]

The clouds clear for once on this fine day. Greymist Isle is no longer shrouded in it's grey mist, but in clear sunlight. In the breeze down by the skydocks, an impressive looking sailing ship was rigged out and ready to go. Signs all over the city read, "Come Watch the Epic Event! The Exploratory Mission to Strange New Lands!". Of course, everyone felt inclined to go see the big event.

Each crew member has received a message to meet down by the docks in the Dockmaster's office. There they will meet the captain of the Magellan, and will begin their adventure into the unknown. Those who wish to do some last minute shopping ought to do it now. Who knows what lies far off in the distance?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Ye Heavens Above [IC]

Nyrst Umichu and Reia

"Ahh, what a wonderful day, Reia! The breeze in our hair, the sun warming our bodies, and an adventure awaits! What more could we ask for?" said Nyrst Umichu. He wore simple clothing, leaving his armor in his pack for now. His blue eyes flashed happily and his black hair - strewn lightly with gray - flipped in the wind, even though it was not even long enough to cover his eyes.

Reia, sitting on his shoulder, scowled. "Yes, a fine day to go and leave everything you've been doing for the past years alone so you can have fun. We could be doing research, making toys, and generally enjoying our lives without this," She flipped her shoulder-length hair and rustled her draconic wings. "Why are we doing this again?"

Nyrst just smiled at her. "You complain so much that I almost forget that you're a homunculus. You sound more like my very tiny wife," he laughed when she scowled even deeper, and then he answered her question, "We are going because inventing, while time-consuming and expensive - and fun, of course, isn't everything. I already spent my youth, and I feel like I deserve one adventure before I die. Now let's go, we're going to be late!" He started to run, and he ignored her grumbled, "Humans,"
    Last edited by Bandededed; 2008-05-10 at 09:25 PM.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

In his eyrie, perched on the highest eave of the Wanderer's Church, En Direch opens one jet black eye. And sighs.

Ah. Today. It is time, then, to bid goodbye to this place. I can't say I'll miss it.

He gestures, and around him the last wisps of Greymist's world-famous grey mist (sold by all good merchants across the platforms, in elegant glass bottles; contact your local Platform office for your nearest retailer) coalesces around him, shrouding his body, and condensing into a dark gleaming carapace, merging with the clockwork that covered his body, supplementing gears with more teeth, crankshafts with subtle distortions, and, in general, only increasing the menace of the seven foot tall purple-black half-raven thing.

Well, it was a way to make an entrance.

En looks out over the city, judging the distance to the docks. And then jumps.

He does not jump directly there - why draw attention to yourself? - and instead swoops down in a calculated arc down to the edge of the square containing the Magellan's Master's office, neatly coming down just yards behind a greying man and his draconic homunculus hurrying in the same direction. He was ... En racked his brains ... that toymaker? Had they invited him onboard? En had always felt ambivalently about this odd man; on the on hand, he was human, and, as such, one of them; on the other, he was not actively complicit in raptoran oppression, and was, indeed, a fairly pleasant, if eccentric, man. With a couple of mechanically assisted strides, he had caught up, and matched paces with him.

So, friend, are you involved with the Magellan's launch, or merely along for the spectacle?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Delran sat, lost in thought. Three years, almost, since the loss of Elton. Six months, nearly, since the death of Ellivani. Oh that cruel wind that doth ride upon my wings...hm. That line seems a bit cliched. Some work and it could be printable, however. His thoughts fly from brooding remembrance to his amateur poetry. Wasn't there supposed to be something I had to do? Hm... a flash of gold to his right distracted him. He turned, and the gold revealed itself to be from the wing of his returning familiar, Kellen. The enormous eagle flapped to a stop alongside its master on the sloped roof of the manufactory. "Hello, Kellen," Delran said. The empathic bond he shared with the majestic bird communicated happiness. Delran lay back, soaking up the rare sun. He suddenly sat bolt upright. "The Magellen!" Snatching up his great blade, Kellen leapt from the roof. No human could have made it to the docks on time, but then Kellen was no human. Stretching his great wings, he gained altitude before settling into a glide. Kellen, surprised by his master's uncharacteristic haste, flapped after him. Kellen soared above the rooftops of the platform before finally landing near the Dockmaster's office. Settling his blade upon his back, he begins to wait.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Ace exhaled, glancing upwards, avoiding the hustle and bustle of larger people rushing past him.

He wasn't, after all, very big or imposing. Standing at a height of 2'7, he'd learned to avoid busy walkways to avoid being stepped on or tripped over. He wore a vest without a shirt - he was actually fairly muscular and toned for a goblin, which wasn't particularly much for a taller race. Thick shoes and long shorts adorned the lower half of his body, while a crimson cap - with a visor to shield his eyes from the sun - completed his attire.

Still, it was the large, pointed, emerald-green ears on either side of the visor that gathered the most attention when looking at him. Almost all the attention he got was when someone noted he was a green-skinned goblin, and usually kept away from him. He didn't let it bother him, however - so long as nobody attacked him, it wasn't particularly a big deal.

A hesitant voice in his head caused him to smile. "Don't worry, Hieb." He stated, not terribly loudly. "Things will be fine. I'm pretty confident in my abilities now; things will work out nicely."

The miniature bat, nonetheless, curled into Ace's neck a bit more. Ace just smiled, as he nodded. "Ah, right... I should get some more fabric." He stated to himself - he'd forgotten that his recent task to make some comfortable city-attire for a rather large half-orc had removed much of his tailoring material.

It wasn't long after that that Ace was standing at the docks. He took a deep breath to steady himself, then pushed his way through the remaining crowd, to the dockmaster's office.
    Last edited by Kantolin; 2008-05-09 at 05:08 PM.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

6. - Top - End - #6

Laerian's day began like any other- despite the fact that it would be the first of a new era in his life.

First things first- as soon as he woke, he checked the pair of flawless crystal swords he kept by his side at all times. Nothing wrong with them- nothing ever was, but it was always worht checking...

A series of simple, exercises, becoming more complex towards the end and ending with a flourish as he stowed the swords into the leather half-scabbards at his side.

Ready for what may come- swords at his side, a confident grin on his face- Laerian set off to the Magellan's master's office to see what his new life would bring. A bubbling excitement filled him- no more the simple, boring life on the station. No more training for no person.

His adventures had begun at last.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Inside the Dockmaster's Office, the various party members and crew mingle and mix while they wait for the official announcement. As usual, the Dockmaster was two minutes late. To the dot. And so... two minutes later:

"Hear Hear!," said the Dockmaster. "Assembled crew of the Magellan, your mission is thusforth. You shall set out and sail the skies in search of new platforms to claim for our great nation! Seek new life and adventure while you claim the skies! Let no one stop you in your quest, and now... set off on your first three-year mission of the Magellan!" The crew gives a big cheer.

Once outside again, the tether lines are cast off, and the air propellors begin spinning. The ship slowly grinds towards the teetering edge of the chasm that formed a 29,000 feet drop into the abyss. Slowly... slowly... and then it fell gracefully. The wings unfolded and then the crew was airborne at last... and the ship disappeared off the horizon, headed at a steady northerly course.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, go ahead an introduce yourselves, whatever. If you want to change cardinal directions or anything, just tell me. I don't have much else to say other than I'm working on your encounter...

8. - Top - End - #8

Nyrst Umichu and Reia

[Before]Nyrst blinks in surprise at the sudden appearance of the clockwork raptoran, though he answers quickly enough. "Oh, I have finally freed up a few years to devote to an adventure, actually. I want only one adventure, you see. Too many have ended up dead after their second," he trailed off, tilting his head to one side and asked, "What was your name again?'

Reia, on the other hand, doesn't seem surprised by the raptoran's sudden appearance, and smiles at him as Nyrst bumbles his reply. She does roll her eyes and dig her fingers into his shoulder when he asks his name. "Forgive him," she begins as Nyrst scowls at her, "He never did have much of a way with names. He often forgets to introduce himself, before asking another. I am Reia," she says as she points to herself. "This is my human, Nyrst. He's not a very good one, though I think I can upgrade from him in a few years," She laughs prettily at Nyrst's look of consternation.

Nyrst subsides with a sigh, and says ruefully, "She is right I suppose. Sometimes I think I made her too well. Ah! But here comes the captain. I will be sure to find you on-board to correct my failings."[/Before]

After all the excitement of launching, Reia can't get Nyrst to listen to her for many minutes. Finally, she resorts to biting rather sharply at one of his ears, reminding him of his previous promise to the raptoran. He grins at her, while wiping at his ear, and sends her up to find him. She returns in less than a minute, grumbling "And then he makes me do all the work," to which Nyrst replied "No, I made you to do all the work, remember?" This time Nyrst enjoys his laughter as he makes his way to the raptoran. "Now that myself and Reia have been properly introduced, may I politely inquire as to your name, sir?" he says with a broad smile and an offered hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for killing the continuity
    Last edited by Bandededed; 2008-05-10 at 09:54 PM.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9

On the ship, Laerian sets to work helping with the rigging- not the most expert sailor, admittedly, but with a certain familiarity from his years shipboard- and, once he's finished- all the lines tied off that need tying off, everything generally shipshape and Greymist fashion, he goes to meet the rest of the crew.

His slender form skirting easily round the normal shipboard obstacles- coiled ropes, supplies, spare sails, anything taken on for the voyage and not yet packed away- he meets the rest of the crew.

"It's good to be out on the open airways again... My name is Laerian- may I ask yours, since we're going to be working together aboard?"

Laerian's face is outwardly calm, but a slight turn to the lips and the lively grey eye betray a deep-rooted excitement at being out of the ordinary and entering unknown territory...
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

10. - Top - End - #10

Delran looks around the ship. Great. Social interaction. Not my best area. Oh well, I'd probably start getting to know people... looking around, he finds an open spot at a rail and proceeds to lean against it, away from other people.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

En Direch

En Direch, having come up from one of the rooms in a lower deck, carrying a bundle under his arm, turns to the human standing next to him, and the homunculus perched upon his shoulder.

Ah, you. My name is En Direch; I was brought along, I believe, for these burdens.

He chuckles, pointing to the pair of wings on his back.

That, and, most likely, the desire to power their airship with souls, I imagine that was quite a draw. You, I believe ... are Nyrst? Anyway, to business.

En strides out to a relatively clear area of the deck, and beckons the other hired help over to him.

So, before we do anything else, I'd say a priority would be to look at where we are. I've prepared this in the half-hour we've been aboard; it's not very detailed yet, but that's sort of the point.

First order of business; shall we keep travelling north?

12. - Top - End - #12

"I for one don't see why we shouldn't go north. I can't say I know much about the area, but North is as good a direction as any to fly in until we hit something..."

A friendly smile crosses Laerian's face, and he adds, "If we can stop before we hit it, that's a bonus!"

13. - Top - End - #13

Delran, interested in the commotion, walks over. Taking the scene in for a second, he says: "Isn't that the Captain's Job?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Ace stretched, glancing at the swiftly receeding world below until it vanished, replaced by endless sky.

Finally, he turned away, stretching. "Alright, Hieb." He said, matter-of-factly. "Let's see what this looks like."

A few hazy and muddled answers from the airmen he asked on board amplified his fears. And finally, when he saw the stockpiles - strewn around at random and in various cluttered places on the ship - he sighed, removing a blank ledger.

"If they had a bookkeeper or a broker before, he obviously didn't do his job." Ace muttered. It was said with a smirk, however, as out came one of his many pens. "Alright, Hieb, let's get some basic categorization done."

The goblin and his miniature bat wandered around the decks for a time, noting the assorted supplies on board - trying to get a good feel for about how much of what the ship had on board - then he could make his ledger more specific and detailed.

He also used this time to get a good feel for the layout of the ship - always helpful when you planned on being there for some time, and also useful for organization.

It was during this that he noted the small gathering gathered around what looked, from distance, like a map, along with the latter half of the winged creature's statement. Curiously, he stepped forward, and glanced. Huh.

"Huh, interesting map design - at that scale, though, you're going to soar off the scroll. Anyway, I don't think we're quite out of known air just yet - there may be a somewhat localized map somewhere in storage - I'm searching through our supplies for things like that, and it may help."

He shifted his weight. "Of course, I think where we're going is the captain's option right now, at least short term. North's as good a direction as any, though."

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Exactly, Laerian - I believe you are Laerian? I can see already that you are a proficient skysailor.

En turns to Delran, smiling.

I am merely extolling the wonders of horizontal planning, multiple contingencies, failsafes; 'tis all. Also, no need to worry about the extent of the map; I'm a dab hand with needle and thread, and I've got a lot more material where that came from.
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2008-05-11 at 05:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

A dab hand with a needle, and it was definitely he who'd made the map. Intruiging.

"I do suppose having a plan wouldn't hurt. Compliments on the map design, though, you have to show me a bit of your style - I'm fond of mapmaking myself."

He shifted his weight. "Sorry, right. My name is Ace."

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

A tall man wearing a straightforward, no-nonsense uniform walks up. You glance first at his shoes. Then at the pants, then at the jacket. Then you see the man's face. A voice calls from above, "Captain on Deck!" You see everyone snap to attention.

"Well, what have we here? A Cartographer? We haven't had one of those in a while. I'll see about digging out some of our old charts nowadays. Our helmsman is one of the best, so we don't have much use on this ship currently. An Avariel who seems to know exactly where he is at all times. I do concur that we should be charting our explorations."

He walks off. You see him talk to a few other crew members and they laugh. Far off in the distance, you see another platform swarming with life. You reckon you've moved about seventy miles since this morning, and the sun is starting to set.

18. - Top - End - #18

Laerian gives En a smile, replying, "Yes, that is my name- and yes, I have some experience as a sailor. I may not be quite as dab a hand with a rope as some of the others, but I know my way around a spritsail."

He glances after the captain. "Our captain doesn't seem like too bad a sort- we haven't seen what he's like in an emergency, though, and that's what really brings out anyone's true colours."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm glad I read "Two Years Before the Mast" recently, because IU can litter my posts with random nautical jargon...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Thankyou Ace; perhaps we share more than meets the eye.

He turns to Laerian.

Indeed; I'm not inclined to trust many of their disposition, but this one seems good. Avariels, too? But yes - conflict, soon, will bring out our true natures. Would that we could avoid it, but such is life.

20. - Top - End - #20

Nyrst and Reia

Nyrst, having been quiet for a while, suddenly says, "Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but the view from here is simply stupendous," He turns to the railing and takes a step before stopping and turning around. "My name is Nyrst, by the way. I'm not sure how much help I can be here, but if you need something made, don't hesitate to ask. I've been building things going on thirty years now, and I fancy myself somewhat good at it," he says with a wink before walking towards the rail.

Reia, however, jumps from his shoulder with a slight hiss of displeasure. "He always forgets -" she begins, only to be interrupted by Nyrst. "That's Reia, by the way," he calls over the wind, "Couldn't ask for a better assistant in a homunculus, though sometimes I suspect that she could flay my hide with her tongue. It looks like she was going to say something though, so I'll go back to watching the sky,"

Reia looks displeased, with frustration simmering in her eyes, at least until she sighs and shakes her head. "That man, I swear. He acts like he stopped aging at fifteen," She looks at the others. "I can't leave him alone for a minute, but it was very nice meeting you. I hope this lunac - I mean journey goes well," With that, the barely one foot tall homunculus plods over to where Nyrst is scanning the sky and hops onto his shoulder.
    Last edited by Bandededed; 2008-05-12 at 08:32 PM.
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Several days pass as you traverse the skies. Far off in the distance, you suddenly notice... another sail! You can see that they are of a design never seen before, and none of you recognize the flag they fly. The crew can only surmise that they are another nation of platforms...

Spoiler
    Show
    You'll reach the opposing ship in about ten minutes.

22. - Top - End - #22

laerian's accustomed routine is again broken by the arrival of something unexpected. Not entirely a bad thing...

He peers over at the other ship, trying to make out the details of the unfamiliar flag, and says to the others, "They could be friendly, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to make some quiet preparations. Hopefully they're as surprised to see us as we are them..."

Laerian draws his two swords and places them on the deck just in front of himself, ready to grab them at a moment's notice, but leaving them out of sight for now...

23. - Top - End - #23

Nyrst and Reia

"Oh look, Reia. Other people. I hope they aren't hostile," he says. Reia rolls her eyes. "That doesn't matter, we need to be ready just in case. Help me into my armor and I'll help you into yours. And make sure you prime your crossbow,"

Nyrst sighs. "Violence is a rather sub-optimal choice, you know," Reia scowls. "Just help me into my armor. We don't have much time,"

He does, and after she helps him into his, and reminds him to prime his crossbow, which he does.
    My Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #24

Laerian glances over and says, "Try not to be too obvious, and even if it does look like they're getting ready to fight, I think we should wait- they might just be doing the same as us."

25. - Top - End - #25

Nyrst and Reia

Nyrst shrugs at Laerian's comment, and Reia answers, "They just as well could not. In either case, it is far safer to be ready for an attack and not have one, rather than not be ready and have one," Nyrst smiles at her, and says, "Though we have not been in much actual combat, she has read extensively. I trust her,"
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #26

Delran slides his sheathed sword off his back, holding the large blade by the strap. He tosses out a general warning. "Don't make any assumptions about hostility or lack there of. If they begin one way, things can quickly reverse. On the other hand, they may not, too. Kellen!" His last cry brings his Familiar, formerly flying nearby, into a spiralling dive to his side.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, my incarnum doubles as a blue helmet, but, nonetheless, we should be careful. Perhaps a delegation would help.

En, with a palpable moment of concentration, shuffles the life-energy flowing through him. He gleams.

What good is a ship without a figurehead? Captain, by your leave, I shall assume a supporting position, in order to show our potential good faith, but also our strength.

And, with that, he takes off, initially directly upwards, but then soaring round around the prow of the ship, in lazily descending circles, only to move violently upwards every so often.

He holds his hands out, and performs elaborate full body gestures, suggesting in raptoran sky-code the peaceful intent of the vessel.

Spoiler
    Show
    Firstly, shuffling three essentia into my silvertongue mask, giving me a little diplomatic skill.

Second, flying directly upwards, and then gliding about in order to avoid fatige.

Thirdly, (1d20+8)[21] diplomacy to suggest peaceful intent, (1d20+10)[16] to assess what their intent is.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

After a few moments, the ship turns towards the Magellan. You can see that it's of moderately larger size... and armed to the teeth. They come alongside the Magellan, and ropes are cast across the void. A small gnome slides across the rope, landing neatly on the deck. His appearance is that of a swashbuckler, and he has an eyepatch on his left eye, and a brace of pistols on his hip. Furthermore, he has a small rapier on him.

He begins to speak in an unintelligible language... you don't understand him at first, but those of greater intelligence will begin to understand his speech. Hopefully.

"Aohy flwloe yks enawdrser! Tulnfterouayn llwe’ be ’anitk uory pshi rof boyto own, so d’ey sebt ijon me wecr or clera fo'f o'f csorue wle’l be nui’shp ye galno to psede it up."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Ace had been busy, busy.

Keeping track of this ship's ledgers had proven more difficult and time consuming than he'd figured - and he'd given it a very generous estimate. It seemed as though someone had gone through this particular ship and made everything in the worst possible locations - incredibly cluttered and nigh-impossible to find anything. Heck, when most of the airmen searched for anything, they did so by just looking around randomly until they found something.

Relatively tired, he was on deck writing in his ledger when he noted the other ship. He stood, walking near the side of the ship to look - and was a bit surprised to see an unfamiliar flag.

"Huh..."

He noted Laerian, Nyrst, and Reia standing near each other - and, a moment afterwards, Delran. Thus, he positioned himself there as well. "Does anyone recognize their flags? I don't, and that's a bad sign - although you're certainly right. Making tremendously overt shows of hostility might hurt what could be a peaceful meeting."

Still he, like most of the others had, ensured that his weapons were within good reach, just in case.

~

When the gnome leapt on board, Ace braced himself - that was not exactly a friendly action.

It was then that he paused, contemplating. He knew a ridiculous amount of languages, but this particular one seemed new - some kind of code? He glanced down for a moment, piecing it out.
    Last edited by Kantolin; 2008-05-16 at 03:43 PM.

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

30. - Top - End - #30

Delran focuses for a second. "I have it! Sort of..." he says. "I can translate some of it: 'Hello fellow sky wanderers. Something we'll be taking your ship for something own, so you'd best join me crew or clear off of...' I don't understand the rest. Sounds hostile enough."