New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Keep on the Shadowfell preview characters

There is a great deal of support for the theory that there is a misprint/cockup in the half elf character, though I have seen nothing official.
    Skywalker your DM was wrong about burst 1, it is 9 squares not 1, why would he think it was one square?
    I am still quietly confident about 4e, I have heard good and bad reviews of KotS but mostly good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    There is a great deal of support for the theory that there is a misprint/cockup in the half elf character, though I have seen nothing official.
    Skywalker your DM was wrong about burst 1, it is 9 squares not 1, why would he think it was one square?
    I am still quietly confident about 4e, I have heard good and bad reviews of KotS but mostly good.
    I really, really hope that theory is true. I wanted to play a cool half-elf so bad.

Charity, I honestly don't know. I think he probably hadn't read the rules as well as he should, didn't want to admit that, and didn't want to back down from what he said when I pointed out to him the absurdity of that. He said "I think you can use a feat to expand your bursts." Yes, because I'm sure they made a first level power that's completely useless at first level. That's honestly my best theory. This guy is already a little insecure about the fact that I understand D&D better than him, so...
    I am continuing to have a social life. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Serious-Jedi-Me-Avatar by RTG0922. Thanks. Cat-assassin-avatar by onasuma, who I was too dumb to thank. Thanks for that too!

3. - Top - End - #93

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Tellat to the munchkin who loaded up in Sleeps, Color Sprays, Webs, and Greases. Everyone else felt COMPLETELY useless, because the guy took a done and a half tricks to get insane Init.
    How much "loading up" could you possibly be doing when you've only got 5 slots to spread those four spells across as a 3rd level wizard?

The "Batman Wizard" is certainly a highly efficient way of playing the character and high-level wizards certainly had the ability to become insanely powerful. But these two facts have never added up to "the game was irreparably busted by 3rd level!" the way that you claim.

On top of that, I'm trying to figure out how you could POSSIBLY conclude that this problem has been fixed in 4th Edition by merely looking at these character sheets. It's not as if, given a similar sampling of information from 3rd Edition, you could have even hypothesized the construction of the Batman Wizard -- let alone the purely hypothetical game-breaker you're suggesting.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skywalker View Post
    I think he probably hadn't read the rules as well as he should, didn't want to admit that, and didn't want to back down from what he said when I pointed out to him the absurdity of that. He said "I think you can use a feat to expand your bursts." Yes, because I'm sure they made a first level power that's completely useless at first level. That's honestly my best theory. This guy is already a little insecure about the fact that I understand D&D better than him, so...
    I'm just the opposite, the more people that know the rules inside and out the better, less chance of having to retcon some terrible mistake later on.

I wanted to see decent half elves as well, they have sucked since the very beginning of D&D it's about time they got a break.
    It seems likely based on the previous half elf we've seen that there has been a mistake.

^ in fairness there is more information available than just these character sheets. There has been a wealth of information disclosed on Enworld and RPGnet as well as on the WotC site. For example there is no flight spell in the heroic tier.
    Last edited by Charity; 2008-05-12 at 03:37 AM.
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Tellat to the munchkin who loaded up in Sleeps, Color Sprays, Webs, and Greases. Everyone else felt COMPLETELY useless, because the guy took a done and a half tricks to get insane Init.
    Well, since none of these spells do a speck of damage, you were hardly completely useless. Reduced to bodyguards and cleanup, maybe, but still useful.
    But these spells?

Sleep? A full round of standing there and begging to be hit, to take out a maximum of 1 foe of your own level? It's not much of a spell at 1st or 2nd, and when you have 2nd level spells, it shouldn't be racked.

Color Spray? Well, it can be useful, but your mage has to be at hit-me range and again, this is not going to do much once the foes start gaining hd.

Grease is a nice spell, tho as noted, its utility comes from making the fighter's job easier. Absent a fighter able to unload big damage on an AoO, it's a trivial delay.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

OK regarding the half elf's lack of multiclassing ability
    Mike Mearls posted this over on Enworld

Quote Originally Posted by mearls
    Message received!

A few of us in R&D saw this thread, but we completely forgot that retailers were getting early copies of KotS. Sorry! We didn't want to jump into a thread before an official release.

I'm reading through this thread now to make sure that we take care of any issues that come up in the adventure. We have some goodies going up on DDI for the adventure next week, so we'll be sure to take care of any issues when we post those.

The half-elf's bonus power was cut simply due to space restrictions. Keep in mind that, as a quick start, KotS doesn't always use the full rules. For example, the skill challenge in the adventure was slimmed down so that we could fit it and the rules around it into the encounter.

We'll address the half-elf on DDI and bundle it with the materials we're posting next week. If you're playing the adventure right now, go ahead and pick a at-will power from a different character and use it as an encounter power for the half-elf. Just go ahead and use the listed attack bonus and damage for the power you choose, though normally you'd recompute those.

Sorry for the confusion, and sorry we didn't answer this thread earlier.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by David Argall View Post
    Sleep? A full round of standing there and begging to be hit, to take out a maximum of 1 foe of your own level? It's not much of a spell at 1st or 2nd, and when you have 2nd level spells, it shouldn't be racked.
    Wrong on several counts. It appears that someone hasn't read the 3.5 rules for Sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Sleep
    Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Area: One or more living creatures within a 10-ft.-radius burst
    Duration: 1 min./level
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

A sleep spell causes a magical slumber to come upon 4 Hit Dice of creatures. Creatures with the fewest HD are affected first.

Among creatures with equal HD, those who are closest to the spell’s point of origin are affected first. Hit Dice that are not sufficient to affect a creature are wasted.

Sleeping creatures are helpless. Slapping or wounding awakens an affected creature, but normal noise does not. Awakening a creature is a standard action (an application of the aid another action).

Sleep does not target unconscious creatures, constructs, or undead creatures.

Material Component
    A pinch of fine sand, rose petals, or a live cricket.
    At level 1, Sleep is the win spell. Obviously, it quickly loses that status, but Glitterdust picks up the slack rather nicely.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SamTheCleric View Post
    Oh, I guess I missed the Rogue preview (or rather, forgot about it )

EDIT: I really like that Backstabber feat. Even though the sneak attack damage has been lessened, there are feats to help it out.
    Just admit it your being paid by WotC to sound interested!
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

If by "being paid" you mean "spent a lot of money on preorders and got in trouble with my wife" ... then yes.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    I'm not sure from whence the wizard is deriving his AC though; given that his Dex bonus is +2 and his armour is...well...non-existent. I'm presuming the balance comes from some form of class ability (either a d20 Modern/SWd20 'defence' stat, or some form of ass pulled 'always-on' mage armour ability)?
    Supposedly if you are wearing light or lower armor you can add either your Dex or your Int bonus to your AC. Which makes not only mages not totally screwed in the AC department, but allows for Int based fighter types as well out of the box without having to take 10 feats to make it worthwhile. In fact all of your defenses, AC, Reflex, Fort and Will allow you to take the best of 2 abilities to increase it, i.e. Str or Con bonus for Fort, Int or Dex for Ref and I'm assuming either Wis or Cha for Will defense.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

Anyone pickup up on how cool Cleave will be. No hit roll to do damage the second creature. Once you hit one with a roll, another creature next to it takes 3 points of damage. Which may not seem like alot but remember that Minions only have 1 hit point.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneLeahy View Post
    Anyone pickup up on how cool Cleave will be. No hit roll to do damage the second creature. Once you hit one with a roll, another creature next to it takes 3 points of damage. Which may not seem like alot but remember that Minions only have 1 hit point.
    Actually its plus your strength modifier damage, the base character just happens to have a +3 for Str.

One thing that I'm curious about, since you add the standard bonus (1/2 your level) to your ability modifier for ability checks, do you also add it for other things that use your ability modifier? Most of the evidence points to yes, i.e. powers that are Dex vs. AC clearly include both the characters base dex mod ([Score-10]/2) and his standard bonus. Does this mean that the standard bonus is also applied when something adds Dex to damage? For example at first level our example fighter uses his Cleave at will power and hits, he does 2d6 (his weapon damage)+3 (His strength mod) to his target, and 3 (his strength mod) to an enemy adjacent to his target. Now imagine that same fighter at 4th level using that same cleave power does he now do 2d6 (that same weapon damage)+5 (His strength score+ his standard bonus) to his primary target and 5 (His strength score+ his standard bonus) to one foe adjacent to his target?

There is some precedent for this, in Star Wars Saga Edition the standard bonus was added to damage rolls, and it would help powers scale and remain useful through a wider range of levels.

Has anyone seen anything that would answer this question?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Go here

and I believe that no, you only get level modified stat mods to skills, not to hit or damage. Though everyone get +0.5 to hit/lvl

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, I have a question for the people who have picked these apart.

The Halfling Rogue powers... if we disect them...

The halfling has a melee attack with +5 to hit and deals 1d4+1 damage. Ranged attack with +8 to hit and is 1d4+4 damage. Dexterity is applied to hit on both, damage on the ranged attack. +1 for the dagger being a "rogue weapon".

For the ranged attack... +4 (dex) +1 (Rogue) +1 (small) +1 (Rogue Weapon) +1 (Halfling thrown weapons) ? Maybe?

The "Deft Strike" power lists its attack at +8 and damage as 1d4+4 and says that it can be either melee or ranged. Does this assume that the power is being used as a ranged attack?

The "Sly Flourish" lists its attack at +8 and damage as 1d4+7. I assume this power is also used at ranged with 3 bonus damage applied to it.

... my brain hurts.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sam I haven't actually crunched the number or broken down your math but the first thing I noticed was that in all three cases you forgot the proficiency bonus.

In 4e you don't suffer a penalty for being non-porficient instead you gain a bonus for having proficiency. This bonus depends on the relationship between damage and acruacy, low damage weapons tend to be more accruate (and get a +3 to attack rolls), average weapons fall in the middle (+2 bonus to attack rolls), and high damage weapons like the greataxe tend to hit hard but a bit less often (+1 to attack rolls).

So your rogue using a dagger would get +3 (dagger is confirmed on the list of accurate weapons in the weapons excerpt.)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm. Interesting. That would mean that there isn't a "small" bonus.

Melee: +1 (str) + 1 (Rogue weapon) + 3 (accurate) = +5
    Ranged: +4 (Dex) + 1 (Rogue Weapon) + 3 (Accurate) = +8

That makes it a little easier. Good call!

17. - Top - End - #107

Scans of the character sheets from the Keep on the Shadowfell preview.
    Dwarf fighter
    page 1 page 2
    Human wizard
    page 1 page 2
    Half-Elf Cleric of Bahamut
    page 1 page 2
    Dragonborn Paladin
    page 1 page 2
    Halfing Rogue
    page 1 page 2

They are not pretty, but quite ledgable.
    Before anyone gets upset, they were originaly linked over on gleemax so if WotC have a problem with it they have a funny way of expressing it.
    You are my hero. Now if Only I can find the maps in digital form, I'd run the entire adventure on the forums here for people.
    Last edited by Asmodeus; 2008-05-25 at 04:17 PM.
    The Tangled Web
    Our PbP games don't stop just because its Comic Day.

A Guide to Making Tactical Maps

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

I can do better than those initial scans, someone kindly put up some files

http://www.mediafire.com/?mj14lurm1tl

I haven't tried it out but I'm guessing they are cleaner.
    OK this spoiler is a real spoiler it displays the actual encounter set ups in terms of creatures met, don't go opening it and then moaning at me
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by beastman on Enworld
    3 Character Encounter Adjustments:

Encounter (Normal / Adjusted Normal XP / Adjusted Actual XP)
    Creature name | Creature XP | Original number # | Adjusted #|

Kobold Wilderness encounters:

On the Road (475 / 285 / 275)
    Kobold dragonshields 125 2 1
    Kobold minions 25 5 2
    Kobold Slinger 100 1 1

A1 (625 / 375 / 375)
    Kobold dragonshield 125 3 1
    Kobold skirmisher 100 1 1
    Kobold wyrmpriest 150 1 1

A2 (575 / 345 / 350)
    Kobold dragonshield 125 1 2
    Kobold minions 25 10 4
    Kobold skirmisher 100 1
    Kobold slinger 100 1

A3 (1250 / 750 / 800)
    First Wave:
    Kobold minions 25 10 6
    Kobold skirmisher 100 3 2
    Second Wave:
    Irontooth 300 1 1
    Kobold dragonshield 125 2
    Kobold wyrmpirest 150 1 1

Dragon Burialsite Encounters:

A4 (599 / 360 / 420)
    Agrid 125 1 1
    Guard Drakes 125 2 1
    Halfling slinger 100 1 1
    Human rabble 30 4 4

Shadowfell Keep encounters:

A1 (675 / 405 / 450*)
    Goblin sharpshooter 125 2 1
    Goblin warrior 100 2 2
    Rat swarm* 125 1 1

A2 (625 / 375 / 375)
    Goblin sharpshooter 125 1 1
    Goblin warrior 100 1 1
    Hobgoblin torturer 150 1 1
    Prisoner Splug - 1 1

A3 (625 / 375 / 375)
    Goblin sharpshooter 125 3 1
    Guard drakes 125 2 2

A4 (875 / 525 /
    Balgron the Fat 175 1 1
    Goblin cutters 25 8 6
    Goblin warriors 100 5 2
    This includes his advice on scaling the encounters down for a three player party

As for the maps some of them are re-prints, the first is the kings road map... I'll have a look if I can't discover anything else.

19. - Top - End - #109

Do you know where I can download any of the maps?
    The Tangled Web

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Gah, nothing as yet... it's pretty late here so I'll give it a rest for now... normally I don't have issues with finding images, but you're not just looking for pics which is a bit out of my area.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Gotta say I really like this module. I am referring to the quality, amount and style of the product itself rather than the content of the adventure as I've only barely played out the first few encounters. I've heard some discontent that it was not a well put together module, flimsy, unattractive or crudely done and after seeing it this weekend I can only ask: Who could possibly call that a poorly put together module. The maps are top notch, the book are well made (not hardback as several people have pointed out but I can't remember a hardback module ever) and there appears to be a ton of content.

Sorry if this reply is a bit off topic but just wanted to say that I think this module is well worth the money spent on it and not just for the sneak peak into 4e that it provides.

22. - Top - End - #112

Actually, I've been happy with the content of the module. Granted, the story is nothing fantastic, but I think it does the job of being a preview very well. It gives us several combat encounters, traps, skill challenges, and a good overview of the flavor of 4e. And with a talented DM, even the most bland story can really come to life.

I have 2 major complaints though.

1. the char sheets are not loose leaf, so they need to be photocopied or else ripped out.
    2. After thumbing through the DM guide, the ink on the pages has worn pretty severely. I find myself having to wash my hands every 5 pages to avoid smearing things up.
    The Tangled Web

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

For those who have already played the module: can you tell me what are "sunrods"? I've seen them in the equipment of all characters presented so far, and I'm mildly curious as to what they exactly are, as I haven't seen anything about them.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    For those who have already played the module: can you tell me what are "sunrods"? I've seen them in the equipment of all characters presented so far, and I'm mildly curious as to what they exactly are, as I haven't seen anything about them.
    Presumably they're the same thing as 3.5 sunrods: magical torch-substitutes?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Presumably they're the same thing as 3.5 sunrods: magical torch-substitutes?
    Huh. I never actually noticed sunrods being in 3.5. That answers my question then.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reel On, Love View Post
    Oh, my bad. That's Tsotha, I was thinking of Thoth-Amon. Still, I think the point stands--he does throw a fireball, but not all of them do, and then Conan chops his head off, Ze End.
    The point is, it's impressive that Conan chopped his head off -- because he was a wizard. When Conan fights other fighters, they rarely even warrant a name.

Evil wizards in heroic fantasy get beaten up the same way dragons do -- because nobody wants to hear about your heroic victory over some guy who was roughly as good as you with a sword. (And also, there's a sense that wizards don't fight "fair", which justifies whatever means the heroes use to win. If you have Conan fight an obviously better swordsman, say, and beat them through trickery or luck, it seems less impressive, since Conan is supposed to be a good fighter himself -- but against a wizard, a win by any means is still impressive, since the wizard was supposed to be so powerful.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-05-26 at 07:51 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    Do you know where I can download any of the maps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdom Penalty on Enworld
    Go here:

http://www.vassalengine.org/communit...202&page=Files

Download the DDM 1-14-4 mod.

Download the DDM 1-14-4-ext zip.

Change the .mod to .zip on the first one.

You can then open both files to see the images - of which all the D&D skirmish maps are included. Fair resolution, but enough to game on.

Note that you don't need to download or install the vassal engine itself (unless you plan to use it to play online).

Wis
    Enworld delivers

28. - Top - End - #118

I didn't buy KotS, so I just ran an arena with these character sheets. Thanks.

Highlights of the arena include a 5 rogue battle royale and the Dwarf getting a critical on his daily.