New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Module Chain

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Module Chain

The road leading through the Pendrell Mountains is often populated with travelers making the journey from the northern provinces of Krugaan to the more recent settlement of the trade city Katendro to the east. It is an old highway, smoothed by the pounding feet of both marching army and peaceful settler throughout the roll of years. It is not an easy path, and each season brings its own challenge: blistering heat during the summer, bandit raids on caravans during the harvest months, blizzards in the winter, and dizzying thunderstorms during the spring. The many forms of inclement weather have generated a curious cultural response from the people of Krugaan: one finding him or herself in peril from a storm may plead for the storm-peace with his or her enemy when fighting in such weather would prove too dangerous for either party.

It is in the midst of spring that you are traveling on this road, the latest in a long line of brave souls seeking to find a new start in the trade-city Katendro. There is work to be had civilizing a land once ruled by monstrous races, and you intend to establish your legacy there. While glory and recognition may yet be earned, there is no easy path to such things…

The sky has been slowly darkening all day, and the smell of rain has been thick in the air. Now it has finally begun to fall, accompanied by loud peals of thunder that seem to roll across the landscape. The sun is hidden behind massive storm clouds, and a cold wind blows from the north. As bolts of lightning begin to slam from cloud to ground and pieces of hail begin to strike the earth, the need for shelter becomes obvious.

Ahead in the distance, a large tor rises from the ground, its form illuminated by the occasional lighting bolt. It seems rocky and solid, and though climbing it in this weather would be folly, it might have some outcropping that would provide safety from the storm. The only alternative is to endure the weather.

Through the falling rain you see the forms of several other travelers, some of whom you recognize as also having passed through the last outpost with you. Some appear prepared for more adventurous traveling, while others sport only the garb and gear of common folk, eager to ply their trades in the new city to the east. Many of these common folk herd together and begin running for the tor, their shouts of instructions are lost in the pound of rain, hail, and thunder. An arc of lightning strikes a red pine tree perhaps a hundred feet from the commoners, blasting its top half into splinters and shards that rain down on the road. The screams of the common folk do reach you through the storm, though you cannot tell if any have been harmed by the falling chunks of hardwood. What do you do?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Module Chain

Graven Bloodmoor
    Spoiler
    Show

{table]Graven Bloodmoor|Half-Orc|Male|Fighter 1|LE|Med
    HP: 10/10|30' spd|AC/T/FF|14/10/14||
    STR 20 (+5)|DEX 10 (+0)|CON 10 (+0)|INT 8 (-1)|WIS 10 (+0)|CHA 7 (-2)
    Greatsword +7|2d6+7| crit x3|Range +0|-|
    Fort +2|Ref +0|Will +0|Spot +0|Listen +0|[/table]

The rain patters off of Graven's soaked clothing as he continues walking towards the Tor. The soft cold feel of the rain drenching his wild red hair is almost comforting as he remembers many days of his childhood spent alone in the woods with out the judgmental eyes of others who saw his genetic make-up something to scoff at. He finishes a large smoked turkey leg he had stolen from an unattended cart at the last outpost dropping the bone onto the ground. The snap of the thunder as the lightening striking the tree startles him. The large half-breed cautiously makes his way over to where the humans common folk may have been harmed by the falling tree. Graven is cautious in approaching, for many times his attempts at helping have been met with swords and falling bodies. As he approaches the common folk beneath the tree, he asks "You be needing my help?"
    Last edited by crimson77; 2008-05-11 at 04:02 PM.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

(OOC: Sheet: Horod Smith)
    An undistinctive soldier with a odd chain weapon on his back starts at the sound of the cracking tree. When he sees it fall, he rushes forward to the fallen tree. "Is anyone hurt in there? I'm going to try to get the tree off, but I need to know if it will hurt anyone further.
    When he sees Graven or anyone else who looks strong, he shouts "You look strong. Give me a hand with this tree, will you?"
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Graven Bloodmoor
    Spoiler
    Show

Graven nods to the soldier and moves to one end of the tree to help lift it with the fighters help. "I would be glad to help you...what your name be traveler?"
    Last edited by crimson77; 2008-05-11 at 08:39 PM.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Iare

OOC: Iare Ashgaze

Iare originally thought that hiding under the tor would be plenty of protection from the storm. Iare, of course, isn't very well aquainted with nature. The tree fell mere feet from him, and he isn't sure all the people taking shelter got out of the way in time. He also thinks he could hear some shouting from the other side of the tree, after it fell, but the effort required not to panic after that close a call made him miss what they said. He calls out in a light, nonthreatening, and very shaken voice: "Is anyone still over there? I can't see a thing! Hang on..."

Among his spells was a simple one for illumination - one he had prepared for today. He casts it on his walking staff and holds it above the tree, its top end glowing magically, lighting up the area. "Is this any better? Is... is everyone alright?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Light, of course.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-05-11 at 09:10 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

OOC: Brom Noonan

Brom was still some distance away when the lightning caused the tree to explode, hearing the cries of the people near the tree he quickly breaks into a run, using his shield to keep the rain and hail out of his eyes. As soon as he gets close enough he starts inspecting the people there for injuries but the weather makes it impossible to see clearly. The magical light that suddenly illuminates the area makes it much easier to see, Brom glances over his shoulder and spots the magic-user responsible, he gives a quick nod to the mage in thanks, though he doubts that the gesture can be seen in the weather, and then returns to his job , saying a quick prayer of gratitude to Bahamut while he does so.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Iare

Iare moves over to the figure that ran into his light, and says "Do you think anyone's still alive out here? What do we do now?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    And that goes for the players, too.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The pale light washing over the scene from Iare’s staff reveals a scene of chaos. Seven figures of various sizes are huddled together around a large portion of the knotted pine tree, trying desperately to free the man pinned underneath. An older woman, as gnarled as the tree itself, recoils at first at the appearance of Graven’s mixed heritage, but seeing the ease with which the soldier requests his help reminds her of the current peril. “It’s my husband!” she shrieks. “He’s not moving! I can’t see if he’s breathing! Help!”

The tree is quite large, but moving it does not seem impossible. Graven and Horod step up to the tree and attempt to lift it off of the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    Iare

Iare moves over to the figure that ran into his light, and says "Do you think anyone's still alive out here? What do we do now?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    And that goes for the players, too.
    To Brom’s healer-trained eyes, the injuries to the man under the tree seem grave, but not irreversible, if aid is quickly given. The remaining common folk, while not able to help move the tree, continue to huddle close by, as though uncertain what to do next. Meanwhile, the storm increases in intensity. Lightning is flashing more frequently, and the once occasional bit of hail threatens to be shift to a more frequent and more noticable pea-sized piece of ice.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"Fear not madam, his injuries do not seem lethal, please calm down and let us aid him" Brom says attempting to calm the woman down while he moves closer to the victim.
    Once the trapped man is free Brom will attempt to help the man should his efforts fail to stabilize him he will ask Bahamut for assistance.

[spoiler]Heal check: (d20+5)[25]
    And if needed convert Protection from Evil to cast Cure Light wounds (d8+1)[5]

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Graven Bloodmoor
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by crimson77 View Post
    Strength check: 20
    Graven lifts the branch off of the man giving time for others to help drag him out before he drops the giant branch back onto the ground. Graven Looks to the man tending to once trapped man, "Healer...is he going to live?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Iare, turning, finally sees Graven, and looks up at him. And up, and up, and up...

"Oh wow, you're a tall one!"

He then remembers the task at hand, however, and jabs his staff into the ground (so that it stands up, acting as a floor lamp) and begins to pull on the trapped man, trying to move him, while looking expectantly at the healer.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-05-17 at 12:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The silence of the commoners as the man of Bahamut approaches only outlines the increasing intensity of the storm. The man who was under the tree has broken legs, among other injuries. He may never walk again, but with Brom’s treatment he will not perish. With a shift of his will, the divine energies at Brom’s command change from a shield of light to spreading a modicum of warmth and healing; the man’s breathing increases in regularity and depth, though he does not regain consciousness.

The numerous commoners quickly gather around the man with Iare, but do not waste time squatting in the mud. One stalwart looking fellow points at a couple other young men, then in the direction of the tor. Leaning over, they pick up the old man, and begin the march up the nearby slope with Iare’s help, once he grabs his staff. The wife of the man follows close behind, thanking Graven, Horod, and Brom quickly, but with quick looks at the nearest bolts of lightning. The remaining commoners tug at each others elbows to get up the hill as quickly as possible, waving at the four other adventurers standing around to follow.

The massive tor towers above the surrounding country. A few narrow ledges offer scant protection from the elements, but a closer look reveals a massive, arched entryway at least twenty feet tall and ten feet wide, set into the side of the hill. The ground just outside it slopes away from the doorway, directing the falling water out and away. Given this fact and the sturdy nature of the hill, whatever space lies beyond the door should be both dry and safe from lightning and hail. The construction seems quite sturdy, so the likelihood of collapse, even in severe conditions such as these, is remote. The commoners have made good progress up the hill, even carrying the disabled man, and have made the archway.
    Last edited by KelianWeynolt; 2008-05-22 at 12:12 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Graven Bloodmoor
    Spoiler
    Show

As Graven approaches the arched doorway, "We should be dry in here..." he grunts. He then tries to push and pull on the massive doorway trying to get it to budge.

[OOC: I will be gone this weekend. Additionally, are we going to get an OOC thread soon???]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Horod Smith
    "Hmm, that door looks sturdy. Is there any other way in?"
    Last edited by thevorpalbunny; 2008-05-22 at 10:22 PM.
    Folding@Home

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Iare looks at the door. Assuming that it's primarily wooden construction, he turns to the group.

"I... I *could* try to torch it. Or better still..."

Iare knocks on the door with his staff.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The door hesistates to Graven's push for a moment, then slowly creaks open, revealing a dark gloom inside. Before he enters, Iare notices an oddity: the crumbled stone surrounding the doorway appears to have once been from the same massive round piece, but was blasted apart by some force unknown. The light from Iare's staff reveals a stone chamber beyond the entrance measuring at least ten paces square.

Peeling paint and broken scrollwork suggest that it was once decorated with some care, but now only dust remains. Three massive stone doors - one each to the left and right, and one directly across from the entrance - lead deeper into the tor. As everyone enters, the doors slowly swing shut as the counterbalancing weights return the doors to their original rest.

The commonfolk huddle just inside the doors, doing their best to stay away from the larger expanse of the interior. One pulls a small bundle from a pack, and opens up a bundle of torches. While the first few simply sputter at attempts to light them, one towards the center proves useful and takes, adding a flicker of orange to Iare's pale glow. The others shake out their cloaks, attempting to dry them out, huddling together for warmth.
    Last edited by KelianWeynolt; 2008-06-26 at 03:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Iare

Iare wipes off his glasses and begins to stroll blithely forward.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Horod
    Horod turns to the others who assisted the wounded man and says,
    "That was good work we did. My name's Horod Smith. It's nice to meet you, Mr. . . . what should I call you?"
    Folding@Home

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Iare

Iare stops and turns.

"Oh, ah, were you talking to me, sir?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Graven Bloodmoor
    Spoiler
    Show

"I be Graven...and who be you?" The massive half-orc asks in a friendly but loud voice. The half-orc looks around at his surroundings trying to decide the best next possible action. "What you think? Should we make sure those doors are locks/blocked so that nothing can surprise us. Sometimes in old ruins like these there be treasure to be found." The half-orc grins as he thinks about the possible coins hidden away here in this tor.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Horod
    To Graven: "Someone with quicker eyes than I should check the doors. I'm sure I'd miss something."
    To the wizard: "All three of you, actually."
    Last edited by thevorpalbunny; 2008-06-03 at 05:48 PM.
    Folding@Home

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

"Iare... Iare Ashgaze - that's my name, I mean." Iare looks around him. "These kinds of places, if I remember correctly, more often house animals and vermin than treasure - but old items of value can still be found in the forgotten spaces of ruins." Iare speaks with more confidence when talking about raw information than in his introduction.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Checks for what he may have read about the place:

History: (1d20+7)[16]
    Arcana: (1d20+7)[17]
    Religion: (1d20+7)[25]
    Geography: (1d20+7)[14]
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-06-02 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Forgot to color speech.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

"Good to meet you, Iare. I'm sure you know far more about one of these places than me. I'm going to check the doors to make sure they're secure. Don't want unexpected visitors surprising us."
    Folding@Home

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The sound of hissing rain, pounding hail, and howling wind from outside is interrupted only by the occasional loud crack of thunder. Still, this room seems stable enough for the most part. Even when the thunder seems to shake the very ground, not so much as a mote of dust filters down from the ceiling. The doors leading into the tor, however, do show signs of weakness, seeming to tremble with every thunderclap.

Suddenly, even as Horod approaches the nearest door and in conjunction with a particularly loud thunderclap, all three doors break open at once, falling from their doorways into the room with a great cacophony. Seconds later, the sounds of squeaking fill the air as a pack of rats swarms in from the largest doorway to the north. Iare was quite right about the occupants of such a place! Eight of the scurrying rodents rush the group as they stand and leap to attack! Roll for inititiative!
    Last edited by KelianWeynolt; 2008-06-26 at 03:45 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Joe Robins trudged through the rain in his boots. He wasn't used to walking on land, and he wasn't used to being so far north. Joe Robins, ex-pirate and fugitive from southern authorities, had to go far away from all that knew to be free. "Aaarr.....I hate the rain" the southern tropics weren't this rainy, always sunny and calm, he didn't understand how people so far inland and so far north could stand it. Then he saw the tor. "Looks like I got me a place to stay fer the night" as he moves towards it, he heard the sounds of fighting and squeaking " and it sounds like I got some previous owners to get rid of" he drew his Rapier and ran inside to see rats attacking people, assessing that the people weren't threats, he went after a rat thrusting out with his blade.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Iare and Graven quickly respond to the presence of the rats, and are ready to act in an instant. Horod, for his potential investigatory skills, is marginally caught off guard by the sudden influx of rodent life. A new figure emerges from the rain, and quickly draws his rapier, ready to fight.

[[OOC: OOC thread now here.]]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Graven Bloodmoor
    Spoiler
    Show

Graven seems startled by the doors opening and then screams Vermin.... and moves forward with his sword in hand and tries to attack one of the rats (Attack roll 9, if hit dmg 17).

[actions]
    Spoiler
    Show

Move right 6 squares
    Attack rat adjacent to him

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The power in Graven's swing is instantly evident, and were the target a bit taller and less fleet of foot, it would have felt immense pain, then nothing at all. However, the diminutive rodent skitters away from the strike, and evades the blow.
    Last edited by KelianWeynolt; 2008-07-01 at 07:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Iare

I've never seen rats so large! Iare seems both taken aback and curious by the appearance of the rats, whistling with appreciation for the size of them. He seems to have almost no respect for them as a danger. But wasn't there something I wanted to do before tangling with this tower? Ah yes, that was it. He closes his eyes and breifly chants some arcane words, and a moment later he appears to light up, encased in glowing armor. The glowing armor only remains visible for a moment though, before fading to nothingness. Iare moves closer to Graven, saying, "What do you think we should... never mind." as Graven wades into melee.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanics in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-06-21 at 03:14 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

One of the rats, a knobbly little beast with half a nose, runs up and tries to munch on Graven's ankle, but can't get his teeth through the half-orc's tough boots.

From the entrance, the blue-coated figure shakes himself clear of water, and rushes forward to skewer a rat on the point of his rapier. Two of the rats charge toward the exit, getting ready to take nips out of the travelers on the way out.
    Last edited by KelianWeynolt; 2008-07-01 at 07:38 PM.