Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Epic Destinies Campaign.

You each receive 5,486 xp.
    You each receive 1,200 gp.
    You each find a ring of protection +5.

2. - Top - End - #122

You have no more encounters on the stairwell.

The landing that provides entry onto the Elemental Plane of Fire,near Kerleth's tower like a slab of natural stone.

The phoenix boots become activated,protecting you from the intense heat and you are all floating in the air.

Agnimia points you in the right direction.

A great plane of steaming red hot rock lies below you. Fire rages everywhere.
    Lava flows everywhere.

Through the heat haze and flames,stands the tower.
    The tower is constructed entirely of smooth obsidian.

Standind in a lake of magma,is an Advanced Great Red Dragon (Wyrm),apparently the guardian to the entrace way of the tower.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

[This happens before we leave the stairs]

Tethys nods. "There are a number of possibilities. Most of them unpleasant." She lets out a chuckle. "Verily, 'twould be prudent to move on."

[from here, it is post-stairs]

(I'm going to assume here that, as you told us what kind of ring it was, we know what it is in game. If that's the case, Tethys puts it on)

Tethys gestures towards the dragon. "Well, this is interesting. Should we bother negotiating?"

(I don't suppose anyone has Shivering Touch?)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sreth

Sreth guides his phantom steed carefully spreading out, away from the group. Still with them (within 50 feet) but ready to spread out to fight the huge beast. He calculates and readies a spell just in case.

Spoiler
    Show

Prepare to cast Polar Ray if the dragon gets hostile ore starts attacking out right.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

5. - Top - End - #125

A small raise of the eyebrow is Kaelis' only reaction to the sight.

"What do we know about this tower, again? It's possible that the dragon may not be immediately hostile, so I want to know all I can before we do anything that might aggravate it- even if all that is is "yes, it's hostile."
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah's metal skin gleams dully in the light of the Elemental Plane, as she frowns at the dragon.

If it is possible, negotiation is always a good idea. Not least because this drake may be possessed of some information concerning our demonic pursuers.

I suggest that we don't go ourselves, though; that might be risky, and, from general experience, dragons usually seem inclined to attack travellers.

A non-endangering solution, on the other hand, could be engineered, that would nonetheless allow us to communicate with this dragon. I'd say that a simple major image, combined with a little clairaudient sense, could help us approach peacefully and safely. Other ways, however ... are possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well ...

Morkai - I was personally considering using spell-storing infusion, to create a major image + clauraudience effect, so that you can talk to it from afar. Thoughts?

esrz22 - I could produce a shivering touch via spell-storing infusion, but that would be cheesy. If all else fails, though ...

7. - Top - End - #127

The dragon begins to slowly hover in the air.

"You may call me Etiol" Says the male dragon.

He gazes at Sreth "you weren't planning on using that icicle on me now were you?" "That would really make me angry."

Etiol Turns toward the General,keeping an eye on Sreth. "So general you may approach." "You all may all approach." "If you wish to talk, I haven't had a good conversation in a long while."

8. - Top - End - #128

Anya, regardless of whatever plans might be engineered by the others, decides her own course of action so as to protect everyone else. She approaches the dragon, in reach of his natural weapons, but so that her own weapons are unable to reach him, so as to not appear threatening. She lays down her mace, and kneels as though in reverence.

"It is an honor to meet a creature of your grandeur. I would indeed be very interested in speaking with you. You must know a great deal of the history of this place, so great is your age. I myself am but a humble knight of the Crimson Lady. My friends are no more grand, despite their titles. We have been accosted on the way here, and we believe evidence of our attackers may lie in this tower. If you wish to know more about me, I would be happy to tell you my own exploits, so insignificant as they might be to such a long life as your own. I would in turn enjoy listening to your own tales, if you would be kind enough to tell them."

Spoiler
    Show
    Just in case I might need to make a check to sound convincing of my intentions – Anya isn't lying, but to sound sincere, I'll roll Diplomacy.

Using Aura of Perfect Order to take 11, +23, I get 34 on my roll.
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-05-20 at 01:46 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129

"You don't have to kneel before me." "I've done enough of that for the both of us."

"I'm an ex-servant of Tiamat,more like an outcast." "But them demons have been like a thorn in my side also."

"As far as that darn Infernal,he's the one responsible,for my ill-favor."

10. - Top - End - #130

Anya stands. "An Infernal, you say? Could you tell me a little more about it?"
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-05-20 at 02:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Carth weighs into the strategy discussion. "I am capable of producing such a major image if necessary."

A short time later, it becomes apparent that it isn't necessary. Tethys smiles at this. Despite her earlier comment, she didn't much feel like taking on a dragon. The woman floats somewhat closer, bowing in a polite greeting.

"Greetings, Etiol. I am known as Tethys. I make no claims to particular personal greatness, but I like my comrade would have no objections to swapping tales of our respective accomplishments. There is nothing quite like a good story." She pauses. "You speak of demons and of an Infernal. I suspect we have a common foe. We would be most appreciative if you were able to provide us more information on the matter of these demons, although I know not how we could repay you for such help."

Spoiler
    Show
    Scribe- It would indeed be cheesy. I do wonder if Wizards realized the anti-dragon power of that spell when they printed it. Fortunately, we seem to have no need for it.

I don't think I need to roll a diplomacy check here.

12. - Top - End - #132

"The demons that you ran into,were actually his servants." "But there is actually,two of them."

"The one is named Schaethreth,he has an Egg of Abominable Cold. "A really powerful artifact." "That can cause a major ice storm." "Which would spell certain doom for me."

"He said he would use it on me,unless I destroyed you."

"But he is using you as pawns,in hopes that you will destroy me."

"He is really after Agnimia brother Regalid'

"i guess he stole something from him."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Azariah sheepishly sets aside her tools for the infusion, and bows.

Greetings, good drake. I apologise for the somewhat violent nature of our conduct; we were waylaid by an octet of demons en route from the city of Union.

She draws near to the dragon, uncowed by its great bulk, and cranes her neck to talk levelly with it.

Your being an outcast of Tiamat speaks volumes, reassuring volumes, about your valour, Etiol. That is, unless you've gone and pacted yourself to some Devil-king, which -

She quickly assays the massive wyrm with a half-serious eye.

- I would say is unlikely.

An infernal, you say - the accursed, wandering, demon-god children that wander the planes making a nuisance for themselves? If so, then it is likely that we have a common foe - perhaps we might pool our information?

14. - Top - End - #134

Sreth

Sreth allows the spell to subside back into his mind, lowring his staff and directing the phantom steed closer to the dragon. Sreth speaks as if speaking to a king, with utmost respect and clarity In my experience it always a good idea to be prepared when one may be doing battle with a wyrm of your stature. I am sure you understand my caution.

Etiol, that name rings a bell. We should trade stories some time, old drake, after this mess is resolved. I think I may know some stories about you that have reached human ears in the past. But that is for another time. Do you know where this demon you speak of is?

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge History (Re: Etiol) (1d20+23)[40]
    Diplomacy (1d20+11)[25]

15. - Top - End - #135

"Excuse me for my manners,greetings to you all."

"We do indeed have a common enemy."

"Speak of the Devil,here he comes now."

"Do you sense him General."

16. - Top - End - #136

"HE is coming up behind you." "Except both of them are approaching."

17. - Top - End - #137

"We must fight as one,everybody at my sides."

"Agnimia you know they,will take you brother,if they get the oppurtunity."

"We must get that egg from them."

"I know but the question is how."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

That, as we say in the Cant, is ... well, a bad word. A severely word.

Etiol, if the Egg of Abominable Cold is what I think it is, Get. Away. Now.

A look of horror passes across her face, as she realises the ramifications of this artifact's power. She stumbles over words, wide-eyed with apprehension.

It's ... it's like a conflagration in negative - horrific, swirling, interlacing planes of rime. If one breaks, or is used as a weapon - I ... don't stand next to it. OK?

With shivering fingers, Azariah 'loads' another geometric spell into her forearm and wrist. This is nothing like as slick as the last time, however, and she audibly yelps as a few minor ligaments sever and rejoin around the infusion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, twin spell metamagic iteming my wand of acid orb.
    Last edited by Illiterate Scribe; 2008-05-20 at 04:01 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

DrowGuy

Drelignor leaves the tower with the rest of the group sizing up the great wyrm. When it becomes apparent that conversation is not hostile the wizard says""Etiol, I am grateful that this encounter does not see us as adversaries. By whose command do you guard this tower?"

Drelignor looks for the general's reaction. If he appeares to confirm the dragon's statement he says, [color="seagreen]"I can offer some protection against spells for the upcoming fight, in the form of spell turning. I can cast this 5 times not counting myself. Would anyone like to take me up on the offer?"[/color]
    Last edited by elonin; 2008-05-20 at 06:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

Notice to all players,I had to completely erase google. If you need to contact me [email protected]

21. - Top - End - #141

"We need to take the Egg from the Infernal. Do any of you think you can get it off him? I could probably do so, with some luck, but I would be very glad of someone else to attempt it- and a bit of cover."

Kaelis returns his sceptre to is belt, leaving his hand free to snatch the Egg. As he does so, he mutters to it, "I'm sorry I'm not using your abilities to full effect... We just haven't had the opportunity."

Hands now free, he turns to the Herald. "It may be worth you trying to banish the creatures- but only after I have the Egg. We cannot leave such an artifact in the hands of an Infernal."

The herald bows its head, and replies in soft voice, "As you wish, my lord."
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

22. - Top - End - #142

"If you need a distraction, I make a rather excellent one. But I lack the agility in this heavy plate to do anything about that egg. That must lie on someone else. I'll keep them occupied."

Anya draws her mace, and turns around, shield flying around her in defense.

23. - Top - End - #143

Kaelis frowns. "How big are these Infernals? I remember hearing that they are much larger than your average humanoid, so if any of you have the skill to enlarge me, so much the better."

24. - Top - End - #144

DrowGuy

Drelignor turnes back to the general. "I do have a couple of ideas. If we are trying to retreive the artifact, I could turn the infernal into a rock. If we don't care about that I'll use temporal stasis which should take that item out of the general combat long enough to deal with the rest of it's allies.

Also, would anyone like to have that spell turning cast? I can use that five times without worrying about my own needs.

25. - Top - End - #145

"If I can get in contact with the egg, Carth does give me the ability to use dimension door. With a little luck, I could potentially get it away. Risky, but if we can distract it enough..." she pauses in thought. "I can also provide distraction--illusions and the like. I doubt any of my mind effecting abilities would be of much use."

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing in dimension door seems to say you can only use it on unattended objects, so.
    Last edited by Esser-Z; 2008-05-21 at 12:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Kaelis, and others - I would be careful. An infernal is the child of a succubus or erinyes and a god. They share with the many evil planars many powers; they can command many evil powers, including the power of a minor sun, and are immune to most things you could throw at them - including any of your spells after the first. Their most dangerous secret, however, lies many thousands of years ago, in the distant past. In the very beginning, the Primogenitor, the essence of Law, banned the powerful castes of the lower planes from leaving their homes. Infernals, however, are half-god; they can roam. And this one has.

Another spell is 'loaded'.

Spoiler
    Show
    This time, it's metamagic item:admixed spell (cold). Also extended.

27. - Top - End - #147

Sreth

Sreth looks around the surrounding area and into the distance. First he turns to Drelignor Spell turning would be a magnificent idea. I cannot share any of my own protections but I am not too worried about that.

He then turns to Etiol Do you have any idea about how long it may be till they arrive? We will need to be prepared.

Lastly to the General he says I may be able to acquire the Egg but it will require some careful planning on my part. Timing will be of utmost importance.

He then begins casting his own wards.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting the following spells
    -Stone Skin (DR 10/- up to 150 points) Duration 220minutes
    -Prying Eyes (1d4+22)[25] Eyes per Prying Eyes 2 spheres of 11+ that will slowly rotate around us at 1/2 mile and 1 mile respectively watching for any mobile creature of small size or larger otehr than us +Etiol Duration 22 hours
    -True Seeing - Duration 22 minutes
    -Spell Immunity -Disple Magic, Charm Person, Fear, Dimensional Anchor, Enervation
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-05-21 at 02:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

Two horrors of fiendish form,pitch-black scaled humanoids standing over fifteen foot tall. Vast dragonlike wings enfolds each one,the tearing claws,the gapping maw,step out of the haze.

"This dragon plans on betraying you all."

Etiol retorts "Foul demons,you are lying."

"You just plan on using them as pawns,to get to Agnimia's brother."

The Infernal speaks "I suggest you all step aside."

He than produces a blue shaped egg.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Pixie in the Playground

A rush of wind could be faintly heard, followed by an illuminated figure rushing through the air. In a blur, the blue egg that had been in the infernal's hand seemed to have vanished with the figure, who landed not far from either the Infernals or the adventuring party. A woman stood in place, the blue egg under her arm. Several silver luminous sigils floated about her head, clad in silver hair. A series of dark blue robes covered her feminine form, each seeming to endlessly cascade to the floor. "Hey, Tethys," she yelled, giving a faint wave with her free hand.

She looked back down at the egg in her hand and scowled in disgust. She bobbed it up and down in her hand a few times before shaking her head slightly and throwing the egg over her shoulder, towards the infernals again. With another rush forward, she was now beside the female by the name of 'Tethys.' "How have you and Carth been doing lately?" She smiled, almost completely ignoring doth the infernals and the dragons. Just who was this woman, and how did she know the duo before her?

Spoiler
    Show
    Wayland has asked for me to join this campaign... I'm a good friend of 22's and I hope to have fune D&Ding with all of you. :D

30. - Top - End - #150

A loud rush of wind ensues as the egg explodes in both of the Infernal's faces. A blinding blizzard covers them.

You can hear howls of pain and swearing.

"Don't know who you are,but your going to pay for that."

They vanish in thin air.
    Last edited by wayland; 2008-05-21 at 05:10 PM.