New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Strange & Atom Academy for Superpowered Ladies and Gentlemen - Issue 1 - Beginnin

MAL

Entering the train, I stick my bag into the nearest overhead compartment before looking around for other new students. This is, after all, my first time at a real school since kindergarten, and I should try to make a few friends.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Strange & Atom Academy for Superpowered Ladies and Gentlemen - Issue 1 - Beginnin

ScyBlade
    Name's Sam, or ScyBlade. Take your pick. I turn my head to the other two. And you two are?
    Spoiler
    Show

PsyBlade, Ayna, and Baiyan by GryffonDurime

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

ScyBlade

You hear a voice in your head, like that of a small child, obviously coming from him, but he doesn't seem to speak.

My name is Icarus, psychic extraordinaire and super genius. Sorry about the unusual method. I am mute, you see. My psychic powers stole my voice and my growth. In case you are wondering, I am actually nineteen years old.

The guy in the suit looks at you as if weighing your merits, and says nothing.

"Oh, he's just shy. His name is the Tux - apparently his tuxedo gives him superpowers. A tuxedo with superpowers, can you believe it?" The Tux hits her in the shoulder and she recoils slightly. "Now that wasn't nice, Tuxy. Anyway, what are your powers?"
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

ScyBlade
    I'm a spellcaster, and a doctor. Healing people is my real calling, but my family have a history of using magic for the greater good. I've actually grown faster at it than any of my ancestors. It normally takes a century to get to the point where one doesn't need to make gestures or say incantations to do combat casting. I'm already there. I'm only 25. My mentor though I could use some training from someone more accustomed to such rapid growth.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Talent

"Temporal Physics, eh? One of the few things I can't copy.. Heh. I just might take his advice."

I walk out of my room, towards where the train seems to be.

Once on the train, I put my stuff where the luggage is supposed to go immediately, and then look around for any fellow train-goers.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Talent, MAL

Spoiler
    Show
    ((OOC: h_v, this guy might seem familiar to you. ))

A small child approaches you ((Talent)), no older than twelve, and nonchalantly asks: "So, what is your power?"
    I use black for sarcasm.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Corner.

I quietly adjust my goggles as I heft my bag up on my shoulder and wait for my name to be called. 'I hate waiting...' I shake my head with the thought, thinking about it wouldn't help at all.

Laughing to only myself, I look back up to the woman calling names and just wait.

Signature by Sneak.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Feron thinks about it for a few seconds, then says "If you don't mind, I think I'd like to go there myself."
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

9. - Top - End - #39

Talent

I wait for a split-second before answering, weighing my options quickly. Option #1: I decline saying what my powers are. Advantage: A possible enemy does not know my powers, and so is unprepared for what I can do. Disadvantages: If possible enemy is stronger then he/she looks, will probably take offense at my declining, and therefore force me to reveal my powers anyway. Also, if I am seen being rude to a small child, my reputation will suffer, therefore making my goals more difficult. Option #2: I tell what my powers are. Advantage(s): I could gain a possible ally. I could also gain information on people who I can copy. A big plus. Also, I could be seen as lesser then I really am. A prime opportunity to press the advantage later. Finally, if worst comes to worst, I am resourceful. I can get out of a painful situation. I will choose option #2. Also, I might as well lay on the wimpness now.

Having decided, I adjust my glasses, to where they dominate my face, and affect a stutter.

"U-U-Um, I have muscle m-memory. It allows m-me to copy anything I w-watch. Any humanely possible thing, anyway. No truely superhuman feats, but I c-can say, watch a martial arts movie, and copy it p-perfectly."

I give a shy smile to anyone who may be watching, trembling all the while. I then sit down in the nearest unoccupied seat, taking out my iPhone and starting to watch it unassumingly.

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff Check (1d20 6=25) If needed, a bluff check.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

smile Re: Strange & Atom Academy for Superpowered Ladies and Gentlemen - Issue 1 - Beginnin

MAL

I noticed two students talking off to the side, and one of them seemed roughly my age. I went over to introduce myself and caught the back end of the older guy's speech.

"Wow, anything? What about brainy stuff? Like, if you see someone fixing a car, can you fix a car?"

11. - Top - End - #41

Talent

I turn to the new guy, still carefully keeping up a skittish, afraid, and wimpy facade.

"Yes. I-I could watch some fix a car and then fix it m-myself, if I watch closely and for long enough. Or, I could say, replicate a master cook's gourmet meal. I-I carry around my iPhone so I have a s-steady supply of things to watch and copy, like the things I've said. I a-also think I could copy a super-genius's blueprints, but I've never tried. I-I haven't used my p-powers very much yet though. I'm s-scared to death by the f-fact that I could accidentally attempt to copy a s-superhuman ability, and die from the s-strain."

I hold up my iPhone at the iPhone part of the speech, and give a look of terror on the 'dying' part of my speech, and then I slowly smile again.

" A-Anyways, I call myself Talent. B-But enough about m-me. How a-about you? W-What's your powers?"

Excellent. A prime opportunity to scope out a possible enemy or ally's powers. If it's the right kind of superpower, I could even copy it. Either way, I assume this guy cannot pose a threat to me. If he could, then okay. I just have a new foe to overcome. Easy.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

I smile genuinely at Talent. Hopefully, we'd be friends.

"Call me Mal. It's short for Modified Artificial Lifeform, but that's a bit too much of a mouthful for normal conversation, you know?"

I hold my hands out, about a foot apart, and lightning crackles between them.

"Dunno where I got them, but somehow I ended up with these cool electric powers. Of course, it's not just making sparks and junk. I can see electric currents and screw with technology. Also, if I get close enough, I can shut down people's brains! I haven't figured out how to kill people with it yet, but I'm working on it."
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-05-15 at 08:05 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Talent, Mal

The small boy smiles. He is completely bald, and his hair does not seem to be shaven.

"Cool. I am Harold Haroldson. I have these awesome psychic powers. Want me to demonstrate?" He is obviously excited by the opportunity.

---

Feron

"Well, unless you can fly very fast, you'll never make it in time. Much easier to use my temporal pathways." The man shows slight signs of impatience: tapping fingers and feet, twitching and rapid blinking.
    I use black for sarcasm.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

"Err, I'd prefer not. I've been soured on mental powers ever since my family's feud with Maltak the Mindbreaker. You should use it on Talent instead. He's too wimpy to object. No offence."
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-05-15 at 12:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Talent, MAL

"I won't do it on you, silly! My powers are much more... personal." Having said that, Harold starts to levitate, his body covered with a translucent purple shell, bigger and apparently more powerful than his normal self.

"I still can't control it very well, but that's why we're going to the Academy, aren't we? They call me Psychulk."
    I use black for sarcasm.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

"Cool! Is it just the floaty thing, or can your powers do other stuff?"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Talent, MAL

"I think this is pretty much it. It packs one hell of a punch, though. Want me to demonstrate?"
    I use black for sarcasm.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    "Err, I'd prefer not. I've been soured on mental powers ever since my family's feud with Maltak the Mindbreaker. You should use it on Talent instead. He's too wimpy to object. No offence."
    "N-None taken. I-I am o-okay with b-being considered that.

I perk up inside at the prospect of a demonstration, but keep this fact carefully hidden, still holding the facade of being a total wimp.

"S-sure, I-I'd like to s-see your powers. Hmm... m-maybe we could both d-demonstrate our powers, you first, then me? I-I'm sure both of us want to see what the other can do."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Technically, everything Talent says is true.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Corner, Tlaloc, Vox, Orion

After some time, you hear the woman says some familiar names - yours.

"Corner, Tlaloc, Vox Opprimus, Orion, MAL Moreau, Talent, ScyBlade, Doc G and Feron, you are assigned to the Giant Vibrator." Some chuckles arise from the crowd, but end when the woman clears her throat - loudly. A guy, easily nine feet tall, and wearing a strange armor raises his hand - obviously this is the Giant Vibrator. He motions you to come closer.
    I use black for sarcasm.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

"Go ahead. Hey, can you aim for the lights? I haven't had breakfast yet, and there don't seem to be any exposed wires around here. Yet."
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-05-15 at 06:00 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

ScyBlade
    I head over to the giant of a man. And after everyone else called meets him, I go:
    Hello, I reach out my hand to give a handshake my name is ScyBlade.
    Last edited by PsyBlade; 2008-05-15 at 06:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

Vox

The young man closes up his weapon, holsters it, and floats down near the large man. He says nothing, simply waits for instructions.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Thanks for making connections between friends come to life.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Orion

"The Giant Vibrator?" () Orion repeated slowly as he scanned across the crowd for both his new teammates and his new instructor. Vibe he found easily enough as the man was huge and armored. He noticed the others moving towards the behemoth as well as he pushed his way politely through the crowd. For a "normal" sized person, even though he was incredibly tall for his age, he tended to part the people around him like water because of his high density and thus high weight, giving his arms an added strength that kept him from being pushed back in return. A few "excuse me's" and apologies later and he came face to face with The Giant Vibrator.

Seeing as two of the others were choosing to be antisocial or last in line, Orion was the first to extend a hand and introduce himself. "My codename's Orion. Super strength, impenetrable skin." he said simply, adding a friendly nod. "It's nice to meet you, sir."
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

24. - Top - End - #54

Spoiler
    Show
    So we're off the train, and with the others, right?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Corner.

As he hears his name, Corner looks up to the woman and listens carefully despite the crowd around him. Then she said the name of their partner... and he couldn't help but balk slightly. He heard the other kids sniggering, and figured at first it was a joke. Then he saw the fellow waving his hand... and he could only shrug helplessly as he began walking over towards him.

As he sees the others, he lifts a hand in a short chopped wave, "I go by Corner."

Signature by Sneak.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

DOC G

"That's easy, teleport. But you've got to tell me how you do it... you have some sort of special power? cuz I don't see anything else on ya that could do it."

---

I can't imagine what that guy's powers are, I think. "Doc G, short for Doctor Gibraltar, least that's what I'm called by friends back home. 'Doc' for the big brains, 'Gibraltar' for the big guns, I guess. Name's really Gabriel." Looking around at the other students in their costumes and such, I feel really out of place, and make myself inconspicuous as big guy can.
    Last edited by Gandalfofborg; 2008-05-15 at 10:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    Talent, Mal

The small boy smiles. He is completely bald, and his hair does not seem to be shaven.

"Cool. I am Harold Haroldson. I have these awesome psychic powers. Want me to demonstrate?" He is obviously excited by the opportunity.

---

Feron

"Well, unless you can fly very fast, you'll never make it in time. Much easier to use my temporal pathways." The man shows slight signs of impatience: tapping fingers and feet, twitching and rapid blinking.
    Feron sighs, "Fine, if you'd give me a rough description of where it was I could get there myself, but I don't think you're going to do that. And yes, I can fly very fast, but therein lies the problem of not knowing where to go. Go ahead and send me, if you wish. Teleportation will be fine."
    “Sometimes, immersed in his books, there would come to him
    the awareness of all that he did not know, of all that he had not read;
    and the serenity for which he labored was shattered as he realized the
    little time he had in life to read so much, to learn what he had to know.”
    ~Stoner, John Williams~
    My Homebrew (Most Recent) | Forum Rules
    /veɪnoɚ/

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone

"Trust me, you wouldn't be the only ones who found my name... humorous," the tall guy explains as you get closer. "But I am a giant - half-giant, to be precise - and I have vibratory powers, so it only seemed fitting at the time. Anyway, I'm the senior assigned to guide you through the campuses. If you have any questions before we start the tour, ask them. If not, I say we start the tour right away."
    I use black for sarcasm.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Vox

Julius turns his wrist and looks at his watch, checking the time, as if he had some place to be. Shrugging, he crosses his arms again, waiting for the tour to begin.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Thanks for making connections between friends come to life.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

While the train ride was interesting, I'm glad to finally make it to the Academy. After, it's what I'm here for.

At Giant Vibrator's prompting, I immediately raised my hand.

"'Scuse me, Mr. Vibrator, but how big are full giants?"