Troll in the Playground

Default Demonspawn Harbinger [PrC]

Demonspawn Harbinger

Devek Harrower, demonspawn harbinger

HD: d8

Requirements
    Alignment: neutral evil, chaotic evil or chaotic neutral
    BAB: +4
    Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 6 ranks, Martial Lore 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks
    Feats: Fiendish Heritage, Mortalbane
    Maneuvers: Ability to use 2nd level maneuvers of the Devoted Spirit discipline. Must know at least one strike and one stance.
    Invocations: Ability to use least invocations, eldritch blast damage of at least 2d6.

Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Martial Lore, Move Silently, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft and Use Magic Device
    Skill-points per level: 4+Int modifier

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Invoking
    1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Eldritch blast, energy resistance|--
    2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Armored invoking(med.)|+1 level of existing invocation using class
    3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|DR 1/cold iron|+1 level of existing invocation using class
    4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Bonus feat|+1 level of existing invocation using class
    5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Demonic invoker stance|+1 level of existing invocation using class
    6th|+6|+5|+2|+2|Armored invoking(hvy.)|--
    7th|+7|+5|+2|+2|Bonus feat|+1 level of existing invocation using class
    8th|+8|+6|+2|+2|DR 3/cold iron|+1 level of existing invocation using class
    9th|+9|+6|+3|+3|Strike of demon's claws|+1 level of existing invocation using class
    10th|+10|+7|+3|+3|Stance of abyssal chaos|+1 level of existing invocation using class
    [/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
    1st|0|0|1
    2nd|1|0|0
    3rd|0|1|0
    4th|1|0|0
    5th|0|0|0
    6th|1|1|1
    7th|0|0|0
    8th|1|0|0
    9th|0|1|0
    10th|1|0|0
    [/table]

Weapon and armor proficiencies: Demonspawn harbingers gain no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Maneuvers: At levels 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th, a demonspawn harbinger gains new maneuvers known from the Devoted Spirit, Dread Crown, Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw disciplines. You must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. You add your full demonspawn harbinger levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
    At levels 3rd, 6th and 9th, you gain additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 2nd and 8th level, you learn a new martial stance from the Devoted Spirit, Dread Crown, Shadow Hand or Tiger Claw disciplines. You must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Invoking: At each level except 1st and 6th, you gain new invocations known and an increase in caster level as if you had also gained a level in an invocation-using class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefits a character of that class would have gained, including eldritch blast(see below). If you had more than one invocation-using class before becoming a demonspawn harbinger, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining caster level and invocations known.

Eldritch Blast: Warlock levels and demonspawn harbinger levels stack when determining the strength and power of your eldritch blast, despite your actual invoker level increase.

Energy Resistance: Your demonic blood continues to advance, and you're capable of resisting damage done by the elements. Your demonspawn harbinger and warlock levels stack for determining the purposes of your energy resistance class feature. If you do not have energy resistance, you gain the energy resistance of a warlock of your demonspawn harbinger level.

Armored Invoking (Ex): Your ability to fight in heavy armors begins to interfere less and less with your ability to channel your innate magic. At 2nd level, you may use your eldritch blast and invocations in medium armor without incurring a chance for spell failure. At 6th level, you are capable of using invocations in heavy armor in addition to medium and light armors.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 3rd level, your demonic nature evolves a little further, toughening your skin to blows. You gain damage reduction 1/cold iron which stacks with any damage reduction given by other classes. At 8th level this damage reduction advances to 3/cold iron.

Bonus Feats: At 4th and 7th levels, you may pick a bonus feat given on the list below. You must meet the feat's prerequisites to learn it.

Feat List: Corrupt Spell-like ability, Devoted Bulwark, Empower Spell-like Ability, Extra Granted Maneuver, Extra Invocation, Fiendish Legacy, Fiendish Power, Fiendish Presence, Fiendish Resistance, Heighten Spell-like Ability, Martial Stance, Martial Study, Maximize Spell-like Ability, Quicken Spell-like Ability, Scribe Martial Script, Shadow Blade, Spell Penetration, Violate Spell-like Ability.

Demonic Invoker Stance (Su): At 5th level, you gain a stance that strengthens your demonic combat abilities and magical talent. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. While in this stance, any natural weapons you have or weapons you wield are considered to be both chaotic and evil aligned for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. Additionally, the caster level for all your invocations and your eldritch blast increase by 1 for all intents and purposes.

Strike of Demon's Claws (Su): At 9th level, you gain a strike that simulates the ripping claws and destructive power of a demon. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 8th level strike, and does not belong to any discipline. When initiating this strike as a standard action, make two melee attacks against a single opponent. If both strikes hit, you rip open a terrible gash in their body, suffused with entropic and abyssal energies, dealing an additional 15d6 points of damage and rendering the opponent nauseated for as many rounds equal to your Cha modifier. A successful Fort save(DC 18+Cha modifier) negates the nausea.
    If only one strike hits the enemy, it only deals 10d6 damage and does not render the enemy nauseated.

Stance of Abyssal Chaos (Su): At 10th level, you gain a stance that renders you to be one of the very demons your blood cries out to be. You take a swift action to lose the benefits of any stance you're in to gain the benefits granted by this stance. While in this stance, your body is surrounded by a torrent of dark energy, granting you concealment(20% chance to completely avoid attacks). Additionally, you gain DR 10/cold iron and good, which does not stack with damage reduction granted from this or other classes. Lastly, you are capable of moving in a way just like a demon, once per round as a standard action you may use greater teleport as a spell-like ability, but may only transport yourself and your equipment.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-31 at 12:29 AM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Demonspawn Harbinger [PrC]

A great class but a bit over powered. It has a full BaB, nearly complete warlock progression and partial Sublime way progression. Strike of Demon's Claws seems a bit powerful, 15d6 damage off the back and no save seems like a bit much. The idea rocks though
    "78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."
    Go EVIL we have cookies, duh

Awesome avatar by Castaras

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

This is the most awesome PrC for a ToB I have ever seen.
    I'm just going to have to see if my DM will allow me to work into this.
    The Necroswanson's Deviantart.
    Freemanatar by Phase, thank you ever so much.

Remember kids, Vortigaunts say, "The Free Man is not a number."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoyliguad View Post
    A great class but a bit over powered. It has a full BaB, nearly complete warlock progression and partial Sublime way progression. Strike of Demon's Claws seems a bit powerful, 15d6 damage off the back and no save seems like a bit much. The idea rocks though
    It kind of needs full progression, most martial classes doing the same(though with the exception of the swordsage who has the most known/readied maneuvers of them all. This one's aimed for crusader/warlocks.
    I don't think the sublime way and invocation progression is too powerful at all, it isn't even full warlock progression despite the mystic theurge syndrome.
    The 15d6 isn't exactly off the bat, you have to hit with two attacks, which may be easy enough but if you miss it's only 10d6 and you don't get the added effect. It's also about 15th level when you get that, a good even amount of damage for that level.

Quote Originally Posted by The Necroswanso View Post
    This is the most awesome PrC for a ToB I have ever seen.
    I'm just going to have to see if my DM will allow me to work into this.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2008-05-13 at 09:01 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

i think this is pretty cool. krimm does tend to make things overpowered, but is pretty good at scaling them back when needed, and just from the little bit that i've seen in the pvp forum, his campaigns tend to run a little more hardcore anyway, so overpowered here is about right there.

now, unless you want to just change the fluff and a few other quirks, such as dr/cold iron, do a new one for devils.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    i think this is pretty cool. krimm does tend to make things overpowered, but is pretty good at scaling them back when needed, and just from the little bit that i've seen in the pvp forum, his campaigns tend to run a little more hardcore anyway, so overpowered here is about right there.

now, unless you want to just change the fluff and a few other quirks, such as dr/cold iron, do a new one for devils.
    You know, that aint a bad idea...

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoyliguad View Post
    Given the prereqs I'm not sure it is overpowered. You won't be as effective in many respects as a straight warlock or a straight ToB type character general. I do agree that the Strike of Demon's Claws should probably have a reflex save.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Reflex saves aren't usually made as counter-measures against attack rolls, just Armor Class.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    Reflex saves aren't usually made as counter-measures against attack rolls, just Armor Class.
    That's true. Maybe just reduce it from 15d6 to something smaller like 10d6?