New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maloria

1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Maloria

No sign of survivors that I can see. These people were gone before they even knew what happened. I say we go after them, there may be captives with these monsters.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Damiaen

"I agree. I think we should go after these fowl beasts. The old man did say that they tokk his wife and daughter. We cannot let them remain captives. Can you lead the way Scar?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

For a moment, Scar is lost in thought as he scans the shrubs on the edge of town. I really need to get some poison on some arrows rather than just all darts; this isn't like hunting swam cats back home. Gonna take arrows to take down orcs. He wasn't afraid at the prospect of facing orcs, but he was uncertain about facing them unprepared.

"What, oh, sure I can track them. Shouldn't be too hard really, heavy creatures careless of the mess they leave. I can do better on foot if one of you will lead my pony."

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (for Fasson leaf or Amber spider) (1d20+6)[19]
    Spot (for Fasson leaf or Amber spider) (1d20+6)[12]
    Track (survival) (1d20+9)[11]
    Track (survival) (1d20+9)[11]

Placing his bow on his back and hefting his blowgun, Scar added, "Captain, do you think King Newlon will offer any help when we arrive to ask him?"
    -------
    Edit
    OOC: Brandon, mind if I re-roll or roll again for those Tracks??

If allowed, here are my re-rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show

Track [roll]1d20+9[/roll]
    Track [roll]1d20+9[/roll]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"The King might help, but by the time we made it to his court and back these orcs would be long gone. If we are to head out then we need to move fast to catch up to them," the Captain replies as he listens to the reports each of you give. As you begin to head off the Captain looks at each one of you and says, "This will put each one of your lives at risk. Four against twenty is no easy match, if you want to turn back now is the time?"
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Scanning his companions, Scar replied, "I am fine with those odds, Captain. Let's see what comes. Should we find success, that blowhard Major Joseph may give us more respect next time." Scar was not so confident in his companions abilities yet, as they remained to be proven, as he was his skill to flee should the need arise. Of course, he thought, he'd rather be able to count on his squad, but failing that, perhaps he'd make it back to be reassigned.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

OOC: ok, those roles again, if allowed, would be...

Spoiler
    Show

Track (1d20+9)[21]
    Track (1d20+9)[26]

7. - Top - End - #37

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Captain looked at his smaller man and pats him soundly on the back saying, "That sounds like a man after my own heart. Let's move out...we've got plenty of ground to cover and that distance is only growing."

You spend several hours following the tracks of the raiding party. During these hours Scar surmises that not all the creatures you are following are orcs, some seem to have a smaller lighter impressions. There still seems to be around 20 of them and there are at least that many prisoners being moved as well.

As light begins to fade, the tracks become fresher. You have moved out of the forested area and into a rolling plain. You have moved into Borderland territory that the Captain tells you has almost wholly been lost to the encroaching savage armies. You can start hearing noises of the raiding group well before you se any sign of them. They seem to be celebrating their success in what looks like an abandoned farmhouse. The Captain looks to his squad and says, "Well we found em...anyone got ideas of how to take them down."
    Last edited by bchilders; 2008-05-27 at 05:54 PM.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Damiaen

When they get to the open field, Damiaen makes sure that he gets onto Puuku. "Well Captain. I've never been much of a strategist. In my tribe we just fought with our hearts. Had we not been caught by surprise, they would still be alive today. Scar, you seem to be a pretty good tracker, is there anyway you can get a closer look without being caught? Your abilities seem to be coming in handy right now. I promise you though, when we get into the thick of things, my abilities will be made very appearant."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Scar looks to Daemian and says, "I look forward to seeing you and your horse fight, Tall One. As to taking a look," Scar smiles while strapping his Scorpion Blade to his left forearm, "I'd be happy to oblige." Scar secures his bow on his back, ties his quivers securely to his legs, and arranges 10 darts on a bandoleer across his chest.

Whoosht, whoosht! Scar blows some air quickly but quietly through his blowgun. "I'll take a line to the left first, getting no closer than 30'. 20' if I see something extremely vital, come back to within half the distance to this point, then go to the right in the same manner. I will be going slow enough to hide and not attract attention, but if I do and get into trouble, I'll blow this signal whistle." This approach makes an open triangle shape with the 90 degree angle directly in front of the squad's current position and the ends extending to the sides. The end of the line will be on par with the mid point between the front and back of the farmhouse. "I'll be making notes of the number of orcs, number of prisoners, weapons, and the general state of what's going on. It may take some time, so don't be alarmed unless you hear my whistle. I don't plan on engaging them on my own," he finishes with a wink.

Spoiler
    Show

To the Left
    Move Silently (1d20+14)[18]
    Hide (1d20+18)[23]
    Spot (1d20+6)[26]
    Move Silently (1d20+14)[17]
    Hide (1d20+18)[32]
    Spot (1d20+6)[22]
    Listen (1d20+6)[21]
    Listen (1d20+6)[19]

Back to Middle
    Move Silently (1d20+14)[30]
    Hide (1d20+18)[22]
    Spot (1d20+6)[26]
    Move Silently (1d20+14)[31]

To the Right
    Move Silently (1d20+14)[16]
    Hide (1d20+18)[34]
    Spot (1d20+6)[21]
    Listen (1d20+6)[18]
    Listen (1d20+6)[8]
    Move Silently (1d20+14)[20]
    Hide (1d20+18)[35]
    Spot (1d20+6)[16]

Return to comrades
    Move Silently (1d20+14)[21]
    Move Silently (1d20+14)[34]
    Listen for pursuit(1d20+6)[21]
    Move Silently (1d20+14)[33]

OOC: Brandon, let me know if you need any other rolls.

10. - Top - End - #40

SwashbucklerGuy

I believe it is time to plan for battle. I do not fight the way you do horseman. Charge forth if you dare, I prefer to attack them when they do not expect it. Perhaps tonight while they sleep we can remove their guards and secure the innocent before letting loose?

The half-orc takes two hand crossbows from his pack and loads them. He straps his staff to his back and puts on his short sword belt.
    Last edited by muffywo45; 2008-05-27 at 11:41 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Damiaen

"That sounds like A plan. We will see what the situation is like when Scar returns. For now, let us hide out of plain sight."

Damiaen allows Puuku to graze around for a while, while Scar searches. He does make sure that Puuku stays within whistling distance. Damiaen hops off and lies on the ground.

12. - Top - End - #42

WolfInSheepsClothing

OOC: Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Posting this map (hope it works). Scar will bring back most of this info. If there is more I'll let you know.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With no fire to give away their position, Scar sneaks quietly back into camp. "Hope I didn't startle anyone. Here's what I found: the enemies are orcs and goblins, normally not the sort to work together, or even associate with each other. About 10 goblins, mostly in the center of camp, and at least 8 orcs, mostly on posted guard duty. I found four outer perimeter sentries, and there is a shed on the east side of the compound. (draws map in dirt, looks remarkably similar to the graphic). There's a road running out of the south side of the farm, directly south of their bon fire - I'm sure y'all could see that. Of the 8 orcs, 6 were on duty. The shift change I witnessed could indicate more inside the main house. I didn't hear or see any sign of the prisoners. Any questions before we formulate a strategy?"

14. - Top - End - #44

SwashbucklerGuy

Let's take out their sentries first. Then we need to see if either the shed or the barn is empty.

15. - Top - End - #45

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Captain growls a bit after the report, "Your right to say the two don't usually work together. We had some reports that it was more than just orcs but nothing had been confirmed. I guess we got our confirmation. I don't want to sound like I having ya'll make all the decisions but....I am. I can't get a feel for my men unless I see them in action...so what do you say men, how do save these prisoners?" The Captain looks at you all with a grin on his face and you get the feeling that whatever is decided he is looking forward to drawing blood tonight.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Addressing the group Scar says, "If you're for taking out their sentries, I may be able to knock them out first so they don't sound the alarm. Although," and Scar glances at the half-orc, "I think you'd rather sneak up on a couple o' them, at least. Perhaps we could split up for the sentries. I could flank to the east and take out the goblins, if they're still there. Would you be for handling the orcs...how should I address you?" Scar asks the lanky orc-man.

"I guess that would leave the two of you to hold the rest at bay should we stir up the pot a bit," Scar indicates his larger companions.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I should mention that although I wasn't able to get close enough, there was light coming from within the farmhouse. If we can take out the guards quietly, we may be able to get a look at what's inside."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Damiaen

"Well I'm not much for sneaking, but I can handle the middle group, if ya'll want to come in from the side. I don't know if splitting up is the best of plans however. With so little of us and so many of them, it might be best if we stuck together. We are still not familiar with each others talents, and this could be very bad for us."

19. - Top - End - #49

SwashbucklerGuy

Scar and I can take out the sentries together one at a time. If we get in trouble, the horseman can charge in as support.
    Last edited by muffywo45; 2008-05-30 at 11:44 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Ok, well, if everyone else votes for sticking together, let's do that. I propose we take out the western most sentries first, then make our way north of the buildings to take out the east sentries. How's that strike everyone?"

21. - Top - End - #51

WolfInSheepsClothing

The Captain listens intently as each of you speak and at last holds a hand up for silence. "I like what we've said, so here's the final plan. Scar and Gwarlong will sneak up on the two patrolling orcs and neutralize them. I don't care how you do it but both of those orcs need to be put out of commision. Either you each target one or you move in together...you work out your plan. The big man and I will be just across the road (south) so if there is any commotion or alarm raised we will rush in during the confusion. Best case scenario is you take down all of the sentries and once you begin the attack around the campfire we will join in but if an alarm is raised,we need you to dispatch the outer guards quick and rush in to help us in the middle. Any questions?"

22. - Top - End - #52

SwashbucklerGuy

LETS DO IT! Skar and I can work together and take them out one at a time

23. - Top - End - #53

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Attack on Sentry 1
    Hide (1d20+7)[10]
    Move Silently (1d20+7)[12]

USING TWO HAND CROSSBOWS AT ONCE
    Attack Xbow 1 (1d20+4)[6]
    Damage (1d4+0)[1]
    Sneak Attack (2d6+0)[5]

Attack Xbow 2 (1d20+4)[8]
    Damage (1d4+0)[3]
    Sneak Attack (2d6+0)[11]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Scar Thorndrake
    HP 26/26
    AC 20

Sneaking up to the eastern side of the barn (presumably the first sentry we encounter), Scar prepares to load a dart with sleeping poison into his blowgun, but sucks in his breath as the orc-man lurches to attack the sentry. At this close distance (within 25'), Scar quickly changes strategy and releases two darts at the sentry.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack on Sentry 1
    Move Silently (1d20+14)[31]
    Move Silently (1d20+14)[27]
    Hide (1d20+18)[26]

ATTACKING WITH RAPID SHOT - BLOWGUN
    Attacking with poison dart 1 - Silent Night unconscious poison
    Attack (+1 for point blank shot) (1d20+6)[7]
    Damage (+1 for point blank shot) (1d2+1)[3]
    Poison Damage (DC 13) - unconscious - (2d4)[6] hours

Attacking with poison dart 2 - Fassone Leaf poison
    Attack (+1 for point blank shot) (1d20+6)[23]
    Damage (+1 for point blank shot) (1d2+1)[3]
    Poison Damage (DC 16) - hp dmg - (2d12)[12]

25. - Top - End - #55

WolfInSheepsClothing

Once the plan is decided on, the Captain and Damiaen move to their position south of the road. Damiaen stays back quite a bit further to keep the presence of him and his horse hidden.

Both Gwarlong and Scar creep towards the sentry behind the barn, trying to stay as quiet as possible. As they near the sentry Gwarlong steps on a branch that makes the slightest crack as it breaks but the sentry alerted looks closely in your direction. In response both of you let loose two shots but because of their rushed nature, only one of the gnomes darts strike home. It hits the orc cleanly in the shoulder but all it seems to do is agitate the creature as it pulls the dart out at lets out a call in orcish.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiatives:
    Gwarlong-23
    Scar-22
    ?????-18
    Damiaen-12
    ?????-9
    ?????-7
    Captain-5
    ??????-2

If you understand orcish the call is the equivalent to yelling "We're under attack"

The orc sentry is in square K3 and both of ya'll are 20 ft off the map

Tell me your next round actions then I will post a new map
    Last edited by bchilders; 2008-05-30 at 09:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

SwashbucklerGuy

Gwarlong changes weapons and charges the sentry while screaming "They attack from the North" in orcish.
    Last edited by muffywo45; 2008-05-30 at 11:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Damiaen

"D*mn it. Come on Captain, lets get into the fight."

Damiaen charges forward as much as Puuku can allow him (100ft). He will make it to combat next turn.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Scar curses aloud after the guard shouts a warning, sparing a second to glare at the thug just ahead of him, but decides to stick with the fight, at least for now. As silence is irrelevant, he switches to his bow.

Spoiler
    Show

ATTACKING WITH RAPID SHOT - Composite bow
    Attack (+1 for point blank shot) (1d20+8)[24]
    Damage (+1 for point blank shot) [roll]1d6+2[/roll]

Attack (+1 for point blank shot) (1d20+8)[23]
    Damage (+1 for point blank shot) [roll]1d6+2[/roll]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

OOC: Ok, something is wrong when I try to roll my damage...
    Damage (+1 for point blank shot) (1d6+2)[8]
    Damage (+1 for point blank shot) (1d6+2)[8]

30. - Top - End - #60

WolfInSheepsClothing

Dropping both of his crossbows, Gwarlong rushes in towards the sentry drawing his bladed staff as he charges. The orc's continuing warning is cut silent as the blade slashes through the sentry's neck. Scar seeing the sentry cut done quickly draws his bow but waits for another enemy to round the corner. After only a few seconds his wait is ended by the northern sentry rounding the corner to check things out. Before the sentry could even register the scene in front of him two arrows sprouted from his chest killing him instantly.

Most of the goblins around the campfire had already settled down to sleep, but three of them sprang up as the alarm was called and set about to waking up the others and arming themsleves. One orc darted into the house as the other moved to check out the comotion and both of the orcs in front of the barn looked hesitant to leave their post.

Hearing the cry, Damiaen begins his charge towards the goblins around the campfire closing the distance drastically. As the goblins try to organize themselves the Captain rushes in and cleaves one of them in half before with a mighty swing of his axe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Blue hope you don't mind that I changed your move a little because Stevo had already finished the first sentry

-You guys are the squares based on your text colors
    -The X's are already dead
    -Blue: you are technichally 10ft more to the left
    -Cheyne: you are technically 10ft more down
    Last edited by bchilders; 2008-06-01 at 12:02 AM.