Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: FR: The Blind Arm of the Law [IC]

Astodac - elven ninja

Dacosta
    Spoiler
    Show

<Use him for shield? For distraction?>, only half in jest from the look in his eyes.

Astodac waits for Rymian to finish his speech, than adds to it by simply taking the human's right forearm in his own right hand, in the manner of warriors everywhere. While grasping his thusly, he takes his left hand, and points to his own eyes, then to the human. He then points to the human's eyes, then to himself. And then gives the universal sign for 'everything is ok', with his finger and thumb.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ben Human monk

Ben seems to calm down a bit listening to Rymian's explanation. He takes the deep breaths as suggested and gets control of his desire to sob. He starts to nod his assent to being ok before starting violently as the elf grabs his arm and points at things in a slightly confusing manner. Astodac will be able to feel his arm shaking and anyone can see his lip trembling.

Finally he nods, looking frightenedly at his glowiness and stands to join the others. He even tries to put on a brave face, it's a bit of a poor effort, but he tries.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Therdin - Dwarven Paladin

Therdin frowned at the talk of the death of one of the dwarves at the hands of the woman Naneatha, at at her seeming alliance with the tiefling. Seems there's more to this tale... I will bide my time for now, but she will face my questions sooner or later.

The appearance of the mouth derailed his thoughts though. Obviously battle was upon them, and while justice would be served, it might have to wait. The dwarves were a practical people with a view longer than many. Survival was the thing for now.

As the combatants were chosen, Therdin examined them. They seemed a disparate group, though at least the teifling would not be armed with a view of their backs. He listened to Naneatha's plan with interest. It seemed workable, more especially if there were dwarves working the walls. What would an elf know of stonework?

When she had finished speaking, he cleared his throat and introduced himself. "I am Therdin Kilral, sworn to the service of Moradin Soulforger in the Order of the Bright Hammer. Orcs hold no fear for me, and we shall see them fall before us that we might win our freedom." He turned to face Naneatha once more. "However, when that freedom is won, we will discover the truth of the death of my kin. And should you have acted withough cause, you will face Moradin's justice." He spoke these words evenly, for they were not a threat, but a promise.

He looked around his new allies (witholding his distain for Ben's display), before nodding. "If we are to face battle, I should prepare." He turned and walked a short distance from the group, kneeling before a stone wall and began to murmur his prayers to his protector.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ralafluen

After Therdin's speech and departure, Ralafluen says nothing, but gives Ragan and Kimli a look. A distinctive "and you wonder why I like elves" look.

He glances down to see if he was still glowing blue. If they participants all continued to give off light during the battle, that would change things in their favour. One less thing to worry about.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Therdin's prayer;

Spoiler
    Show
    *Dwarven*
    "Moradin, All-Father, hear my prayer. Your hand has seen fit to bring me to this place where your children have been pressed into unjust service against their will. Grant me the strength to prevail in the battle to come, to to protect my brothers and sisters of the stone, to find them the justice and freedom they deserve.

Grant me the wisdom to see your guidance for what it is, to take the path that follows your will no matter how hard that path may be. With your divine grace at my side, I shall not falter.

Forgive me my weakness in following the plan of the woman Natheana and her fiendish allies. They offer the best hope for your folk to survive this place, but when the time comes they will face the consequences of their blood and their actions. Might you grant me the insight to see the truth of their hearts that I might bring your hammer down upon them.

Father of All, guide my arm.

Father of All, guide my shield.

Father of All, guide my heart."
    Last edited by Galen Meytre; 2008-06-14 at 06:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

Ben Human Monk

Ben takes heart in the apparent confidence that the others who are glowing show. He wipes a grubby arm across his eyes, wiping away the tears and smudging dirt across his face, "I am Benjamin, a novice brother of the order of Lathander."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ralafluen
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't really have much faith in the tiefling's words, however (passed WIS check), you also feel that mentioning this in earshot of the two paladins may cause some conflicts. It's likely that the tiefling has some sort of plan for escape from the paladins, but you can't gather if Naneatha really cares about this or not.

"Ben...Don't worry. I'm sure we'll get through this. It sounds like a grand plan...I just..well, I'm not much of a fighter, but I'll try my best." It's obvious that her nervousness shows through her words, but Ladia tried to keep good spirits.

~*~

After long hour of introductions and discussions of battle tactics happen, the magic mouth appeared again. "Warning! Warning! You have five minutes to enter the cage and prepare for transport."

Naneatha look out among all those gathered. "Well, I guess we're up."
    Last edited by Xerah; 2008-06-19 at 03:50 PM.
    Characters:
    Laurel Evenwood - Human Ranger of Ehlonna - The Red Hand of Doom

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ralafluen

The dwarf turns to nod to the human joining them in the conversation.

A pleasure, Brother Benjamin.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #69

Dacosta - Elven Warlock

Well then lets get this show on the road shall we. Dacosta calmly walks to the cage. Turning his head around he sends a wink towards the other elves. Wish us luck.

Astodac
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let the strangers fight first?

10. - Top - End - #70

Ben Human Monk

Resigned to a horrible death Ben follows the congregation along to the cage.

11. - Top - End - #71

Astodac - elven ninja

Dacosta
    Spoiler
    Show

<You, Rala important, others less. Keep others alive possible, take hits for us. But us more important.>

Astodac remained in the back, more comfortable in the shadows as is his wont. His eyes gave no hint to what he was thinking, but even he was feeling the tension in the room.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Therdin turned to Ragin and Kimli, setting a hand on each of their shoulders. "Remain strong, my kin. Moradin shall watch over you and guide you to your freedom, in this world or the halls of Dwarfhome." Then with a simple nod, he made his way over to the cage, calling out to his fellow warriors as he went.

"Come then, and let the orcs break themselves against us while Naneatha and her fiend work to free us. We shall find only victory this day, or honour in death!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy - trying to inspire confidence and unity

(1d20+8)[19] (+2 CHA, +2 Ranks, +2 Negotiator, +2 Moradin's Smile)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ralafluen

Ralafluen is buoyed, almost against his better judgment, by the stirring words of the other dwarf, and smiles. It's just like being back in the tunnels as a boy, being ready to run messages for the warriors. Only now it'll be us on the front line.

Trying to settle his own nervousness, Ralafluen murmurs a prayer softly in elven rolling his slender shoulders and stretching out his muscles.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the five minute warning period neared the end, Naneatha made sure to that everyone was in position. This would likely be the best chance that they'd have to escape. With the eight who were selected to fight inside the cage, the others who were going to aid the escape gathered around as well. The tiefling and his cohorts stood in the back and quietly whispered with each other.

Looking up, you can see a small 'black vortex' appear over your heads and is slowly getting larger. The tiefling pushed his way through the crowd and shot a magical bolt towards the vortex. "Once those in the cage have gone through, I will only be able to keep this open a minute or so. Make sure you are through before then.”

Moments later, a feeling of disembodiment overcame you as your surroundings started to fade away. The surroundings were quickly replaced with stone walls – still inside a prison, but no longer the closed in cavern you were in before. The room is 20’ by 20’ by 10’ and the walls are covered in weapons and armour of all shapes and sizes. On one end of the room, you can see where the stone door would slide open and on the opposite side, there seems to be a bit of rubble on the ground, which you can assume is the pre-damaged wall that everyone will escape through.

Looking out through the gaps in the door towards the area, you can see an oval of about 200’ by 100’, surrounded by a huge roaring crowd of various races from humans, to dwarves, to drow, to beholders and more. Looking out through the hole towards the potential escape route, you can see a few stone buildings and minimal traffic on the streets.

Naneatha scanned the group, “We better get started.” She then turned towards the you, “You’re going to want to suit up. It’ll start soon.”

The other who were not fighting in the area grabbed most of the blunt weapons and started on the wall. The sounds of the crowd were enough to hide the sounds of the weapons.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pick any armour, shield, weapons you want from the wall. There is nothing special, it is all non-magical, non-masterwork equipment.

In total, about 20 people came through the portal not including yourselves.

I’ll try to get a map up when I get a chance…
    Characters:

15. - Top - End - #75

Ben Human Monk

Ben tries not to stumble as the vortex deposits him in the armoury. He's still terrified and that situation is not helped at all by the dwarf's speech about noble deaths.

Once into the armoury Ben looks around, completely lost. He selects an ill fitting pot helmet that perches crookedly on his head, grasps a shabby looking buckler in one hand and awkwardly hefts a wicked looking mace with ball and chain in his other hand.

16. - Top - End - #76

Astodac - elven ninja

Astodac ignores the armors completely, and heads to the weapon rack. Evaluating the choices with a careful eye, he straps a dagger to his waist, and another dagger to his forearm, then selects two short swords, each with a one-sided taper at the tip. Each weapon was tested for strength and balance as he selects them. He then takes a longbow and two quivers, not planning on running out of ammunition. They need time, I intend to give it to them.

Once prepared, he slides over to the corner, making sure that all his equipment is just so. Once in the arena, there is no time to readjust.

Just prior to the door opening, he grabs Rala and Dacosta by the shoulders, embraces them, and turns to the arena.

Dacosta
    Spoiler
    Show

<Strike well, brother.>

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC: changed weapon selection - he's a ninja, not a fencer. So I took away the rapier, gave him the equivalent of wakizashi's (sp?)
    Last edited by Meat Shield; 2008-06-23 at 03:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ralafluen

The dwarf chugs over to the rack of bows first, selecting a composite bow with a suitable pull, and three flights of arrows. Swiftly, he adds a pair of single-bladed hunter's knives and a stout steel-headed mace.

Ral then took up a slender shield - barely more than an arm-guard.

Ralafluen lingers over the armour. Normally, in the woods, he might seek out something that would allow him to move with some degree of grace and precision. But, perhaps, in such a situation, it would be best to call on his old dwarven training, and put on the thickest armour he could find.

Noticing that Astodac was ready quickly, Ral took the clanking suit of armour over to him. Ral grins with a certain determination up at his elven friend.

Pardon, Astodac. Mind giving me a hand with some of these buckles?

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a composite longbow, two daggers, a heavy mace, a buckler and full plate.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Therdin looked carefully at the seven fellow warriors who would be at his side. There could be little mistaking the situation here. Most simply were not built for the bloody front line of a battle. They seemed mostly to favour bows, light blades and the like - by Haela's blood, the terrified human wasn't even picking up arms or armour! Well, if that was the situation he had been placed in he would fulfil it to the full. He would stand firm at the forefront while the others did whatever they were able.

He began to examine the equipment, looking for the distinctive quality of the dwarven forges, perhaps even the marks of Dumathoin that might signify a blessed or enchanted weapon. However, there was no such pieces to be found. The only dwarven work he managed to find at all was a waraxe, the sharp blade balanced by a wicked spike on the reverse. Therdin tested the weight, swinging it by the leather lanyard attached before nodding and moving on to the armours.

Sturdy, but I'll need to keep my feet about me too. He looked at the available suits, his eyes falling on a small set of scale mail. He shrugged on the long leather undercoat before pulling the scale over his head, bouncing in place a few times to settle it on his wiry frame. He scaveneged a studded leather belt to help hold it in place and a pair of decorated steel bracers to protect his forearms. He rummaged in a pile of helmets, finding a skullcap that should protect him from most blows, then looked at a few shields, testing them for balance before settling on a large wood and iron one which had been painted (he hoped) a deep red colour.

He settled himself, then suddenly muttered a mild curse. Trotting back over to the weapons he found a long, slender knife, jamming it between his left bracer and the shield strapped there. He then picked up a small hammer. He held it up in the air briefly. "It may not be as fine as the symbol gifted to me, but the power of Moradin shall flow through me and this hammer all the same!" He then pushed it through his belt and moved towards the entrance, awaiting whatever might face them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Therdin takes;

(as I'm away from my sourcebooks, I'm not sure what would contribute to AC, so I'll just list all for now)
    Leather breeches
    Leather boots
    Scale mail shirt
    Iron helm
    Large iron shield
    Steel bracers

Dwarven waraxe
    Dagger
    Light hammer

19. - Top - End - #79

Ben Human Monk

Ben watches the rest of the combatants prepare themselves in armour and pick out weapons without really seeing it. He starts out of his phased-out trance when he sees the others picking up bows. He glances at the mace and chain he holds and looks around at the weapons racks more closely. He shakes out the chain and, hefting the weapon, he makes a decision, dropping it and the buckler he knocks the pot helm of his head.

He then grabs a light crossbow and a waist quiver of bolts hung on a thin belt. Fairly familiar with a crossbow, he loads it without too much trouble and straps the belt around his waist. He then walks over to an area of odd looking weapons that catch his eye. He picks a pair of thin looking daggers with lengthened cross hilts turned up towards the blades and thrusts them through his belt and then takes a pair wooden handled weapons with a sharp, slightly curved hook shaped, blades and hangs them from his wrists by a leather thong attached to their handles.

He then joins the others at the door to the arena with the crossbow in hand and a firm look in his eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ben grabs a light crossbow and bolts, 2 sai and 2 kamas.
    Last edited by Rane126; 2008-06-22 at 02:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

Rymian quickly and efficiently outfits himself in studded leather, doing up the buckles and straps with practiced ease. He then straps two daggers to his belt and one to each of his thighs. This done, he loops a scabbard of javelins over his shoulder, after quickly inspecting each of the throwing weapons for correct balance. Once he is fully equipped, he gives Ben a wink of encouragement and stands easily, ready for what lays ahead.
    Last edited by Truwar; 2008-06-23 at 10:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

21. - Top - End - #81

Ben Human Monk

Ben ventures a timid smile in response to Rymian's encouragement, at least he wasn't talking about dying.

22. - Top - End - #82

Dacosta

The elf sighs and makes his way towards the armor and weapons. Rubbish. Dacosta picks a longsword and a light suit of armor, poorly made but better then his bare skin.

Returning the embrace he gives his brother a sly grin.
    Astodac
    Spoiler
    Show
    But not too well yes?

23. - Top - End - #83

Astodac

Helping Rala with his armor, Astodac smiles at his two friends, the first time he has smiled in some time. If this be my time, there be no better companions to make the journey with. Tightening the last strap, he pounds Rala on the shoulder, and leans close to his dwarven friend.

Ralafluen
    Spoiler
    Show

He embraces the dwarf, and in the hoarsest and quietest of whispers (such that only Rala could possibly hear it), says the one word of dwarven he knows - "Friend."

He then turns to his brother and smiles one more time, giving a wink.

Dacosta
    Spoiler
    Show

<Let's give a show, eh? Love you, brother.>

Astodac then turns to the door, notches an arrow, and waits.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Rala

Gratefully returning the brothers' embraces, Ralafluen turns to the others. Now that the battle-energy is flowing through his veins, he actually smiles.

Remember, everyone. Harry and fall back. Misdirect. Slow them down. Exhaust their rage. There lies our victory.

Testing the pull of his bow, he grimaces, but says nothing more.

25. - Top - End - #85

Rymian

Nodding in agreement with Rala, Rymian adds a few more javelins to his scabbard. The best way to keep this fight goin’, once they are on top of us, is to get those weapons out of their hands. If you can bust their weapons, or disarm ‘em, it would be best. If we’re going to stretch this fight out, I would rather not do it against a bunch of opponents with great axes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

26. - Top - End - #86

Benjamin Human Monk

Ben grips his crossbow in sweaty palms, the wait till they enter the ring seems to be lasting forever.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xerah - I know you had holiday this month, are we planning to pick back up? I hope so!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ralafluen

Checking to ensure that the first bolt is secure in the crossbow, Ralafluen looks around nervously.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Finally, after what seemed like ages, the stone door slid open. The sliding stone created a swirling cloud of dust, obscuring your vision into the arena. As you pushed through the dust cloud, the full view of the crowd became visible.

The monsters hushed for a moment as the various surfacing dwelling races became visible. It only took a few seconds before the boo stopped. For once, you could be glad there was that "wall of force" overhead, less you enjoy being pelted from the crowd. As previously mentioned by the others, the crowd was a various mix of underdark creatures you had only heard in stories - drow, goblins, orcs, grey dwarves, illithid among others. Situated above everyone else was a huge beholder with an entourage of smaller ones. Above the arena, hung a human who appeared to be 'floating' by a ray from one of the smaller beholders. Across the arena, approximately 150', stood six of the orcs from below.

Map:

Spoiler
    Show

I need initiative from everyone.
    Characters:

29. - Top - End - #89

Ben Human monk

Ben steps through the dust and pauses as he takes in the arena before him with all the monsters watching. For what else but monsters would enjoy this kind of spectacle?

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+5)[24] + 3 dex +2 blooded

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ralafluen

The dwarven cleric's elven heart sank at the sight of the arena. No barriers, no obstacles, no corners. It was going to be difficult to keep the orcs busy without killing them - if that was even fated to be an option.

It would be as it was willed to be. Ralafluen raised his bow, nocked with an arrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20)[20]