New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: FR: The Blind Arm of the Law [IC]

The bolts fired at the creatures seem not to bother them at all as they start breaking into a charge. "Go! We need to get out of here! I'll hold them off, you all get out of here!" Andrew yelled out while in the midst of a withdraw. Therdin, about to make the stand with him nodded and then withdrew back towards the open cell door.

Cheers erupted from the crowd at the large creature charging towards Andrew.

From inside the darkened waiting area you were in before, a voice called out. "We're through, get out of there! We're not waiting for ever!"
    Characters:
    Laurel Evenwood - Human Ranger of Ehlonna - The Red Hand of Doom

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Meanwhile, back in Waterdeep

Well, I very much doubt a friend of House Adarbrent would really consider doing something so vile!" He turned to the watchman with a stern look, "I demand you send her to jail this instance!"

Two of the watchmen looked towards the one in charge and he nodded. They moved over towards Arynn with shackles in hand. "Come miss, please don't resist, it will only be harder on you."

"There will be an investigation, but you will have to remain incarcerated until that time." He then turned towards Arynn's cousin and the new Lord Adarbrent, "I'll need to get your statements."
    Characters:

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

Rymian - Halfling

His dear old mum having raised no fool, Rymian darts directly for the exit, wasting no time in heading for freedom.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ben Human Monk

In the face the monstrous charge Ben turns and flees.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ralafluen

Snatching up his bow, Ralafluen fires an arrow well over Andrew's head at the shelled creatures, trying in some small way to slow the horrors down. At the same time, he shifted back towards the exit, trusting the voice beyond to draw them on to safety.

Or, at least, to less certain death.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #186

Astodac

Astodac turns and darts for the doorway, pulling his brother through the exit with him. Come on, Andrew you damned fool! Get out of there!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Vampire Ninja Death Squirrel by Jacklu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Frankly, we're a bunch of nerds here, and we like to argue.
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger
    Grishak, Blue Psion Nomad
    Otheym, Warforged Ashworm Dragoon

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Arynn - half elf in trouble

Arynn takes a step back. "But they're lying! This is a plot, don't you see? How else would you know to come here right at this instant? Did she tell you to come? I even heard her voice call out to enter when I knocked! Must've been some sort of magic...this was planned, from the start..." She shakes her head at the callousness of it all, and the betrayal. "Ask the captain of the castle guards, he'll vouch for me!"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the fighters turn back and run for the open cell, the paladin Andrew held his ground to give them the precious time to get out. Therdin was the last through the door, and looking behind him Andrew was still standing fighting the creatures as the door slid closed.

After the door slammed shut, the magic mouth appeared and spoke again. "Please remove your weapons and armour. You will be returned in five minutes."

Pausing a moment to catch your breath, you could finally see the fight was worth it - freedom. Two people stood near the hole in the wall and the rest were gathered around Naneatha. "Out of one fire and into the next, eh guys? No time to waste, lets get moving. We'll need to find a boat."

In the background, Drahooc and his crew tried to blend in...
    Characters:

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Criminals do not get to make request. Get her out of here. Now!" The two watchmen took Arynn back into the familiar Keep, but down into an area she had never been before - the castle dungeon.

The dungeons were a stark contrast to the normally warm interior of the Keep. Low light, damp smell and random screams from the cells almost made you believe you could have just as easily been in Thay rather than Waterdeep.

A man sat at a table and scanned over a large ledger as the three of you entered the Dungeons. "This is the one who is thought of have killed Lord Adarbrent."

Very well, take her to cell nine," said the old man before updating the ledger.

When the reached the cell, they threw you in and slammed the heavy iron door. The cell was fairly standard. It was ten by ten by ten in size, with a pile of hay in one corner and a bucket in the other. There was a small arch window (about two feet wide and one foot high) on the back wall eight feet off the ground.

Spoiler
    Show

Roll anything you feel relevant for the next post plus a knowledge: local
    Characters:

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ralafluen

Nodding resignedly to the brothers Dacosta and Astodac, Rala clanked forward through the breach, as stealthily as a dwarf in full plate armour was ever likely to be.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Arynn - half elf in trouble

(Knowledge local= 21 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1732175/
    Climb: 14 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1732179/
    Escape artist: 11 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1732182/
    Open lock: 10 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1732183/ )

Arynn kicks the hay angrily. I can't believe this! She doesn't have much hope this will be cleared up anytime soon, obviously this was a well planned set up, and staying in here might mean a knife in the back, right next to the one already there, or a rope around her neck. Looking up at the window, she tries to climb up to look outside, and to see if there's any way she can get through. She also tries the door, examining the lock to see if she can pick it, unless it's barred from the outside.

12. - Top - End - #192

Astodac

No! Damned fool holy knights! Why!?!? Astodac pounds futilely on the door, then mouths a small prayer to Corellon to guide Andrew's soul.

He then turns to his brother, and they solemnly follow Rala through the door, silent as a ghost compared to the cacophony the dwarf makes in his passage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

13. - Top - End - #193

Rymian

Rymian glares at the slammed door and makes a silent oath to one day return to this place and out an end to the suffering it creates for good. Not wanting to make Andrew's sacrifice a vain effort, the halfling then ducks through the passage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

14. - Top - End - #194

Ben Human monk

Ben turns to see the door slam down leaving Andrew to a grisly fate. There's not much to be done, except acdept Andrew's parting gift, time to escape. He heads for the hole.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Rala

Smiling gratefully at Astodac's calming presence beside him, Rala peered through the hole into the wider world beyond.

I'm guessing our first priority is to get back to the surface, then?

16. - Top - End - #196

Astodac

Astodac nods grimly to Rala's question, while letting his eyes adapt to the darkness ahead. He grips his weapon tightly, but when his eye's meet the dwarf's, he glances at Drahooc and the cronies. Not to be trusted, his expression says.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

After pacing around in the cell and pondering her next move for a few minute, Arynn went to check the lock on the door. Unfortunately, her lack of tools made the job a bit too difficult for the half-elf.

Her next idea was to check the window. She climbed up and peered into the empty courtyard. A second later a head popped down from above that startled her. The face was one she didn't recognize - well, what was visible. The man's head was draped in a hood and a red cloth covered all but his eyes.

"Arynn, we need to get you out of here - unless you wish to die here."

He poured a liquid on the window bars and they quickly melted away. The way the man was dressed, the first thing that came to mind was a member of the Red Sashes. You had heard of them in the past - a vigilante criminal group who worked against order in the city. Although, some rumors suggested that they do more to help the city than harm it.

None the less, it was time for a choice. The man held his arm into the cell waiting for Arynn to grab it.
    Characters:

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Arynn - half elf

There really was no choice. Better take her chances with this hooded criminal, than stay here in these more than cumbersome environments waiting for an assassin or a torturer. She grabs the man's hand. "Not particularly. Let's go."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the group crashes into the street, Drahooc started to slink away. Therdin, the ever observant dwarf, caught them trying to hide. "Tiefling! You ain't getting away like that!" Drahooc and his two others darted off into the dimly lit streets of Skullport with Therdin in toe.

"Therdin! Leave them!" Naneatha yelled out, but they were already too far into the alley way. "He's a dwarf, he'll survive down here on his own - perhaps..."

The group, minus a half-drow, halfling, tiefling and dwarf, continued to the docks. The few creatures that were on the street barely gave them much of a look and they reached the dock. With a quick scan of the docks, they picked out a boat to hold everyone and headed into the underground river.

"I've been told there is a portal to the surface, I guess we're going find out." She pointed in the direct of what just looked like open water.

As you looked back towards the city, a large glowing skull appeared in the direction that Therdin was headed. "They keep order in the city. I'd wager that Drahooc has something to do with that."

Ladia frown and stared at the glowing skull, "Godspeed Therdin."

The boat continued on its path to what appeared to be open water. "It should be around here..." It turned out her tip was right. The feeling of a momentary disembodiment overcame everyone but after what seemed like ages, you could see the sun once again.

There were cheers, laughter and even a few tears as everyone celebrated getting back to the surface. "I thought I'd never seen Lathander's glory again!" About 2 km in the distance, the city of Waterdeep stood like a beacon of hope. Everyone grabbed a paddle or used their hands and started heading for the city.

With revitalized vigor from the sun, the trip into shore took no time at all. Finally, you had all returned to the shore. Most of the other went their separate way, thanking you all for your help during the escape. With the five of you remaining, Naneatha approached you again after saying her goodbyes to the others. "You've all done more than I could have hoped for...especially Andrew. Someone should inform his temple of his sacrifice. Thank you all again."

She started walking into the city but stopped and turned back. "Actually, perhaps you'd like to come and meet a friend of mine. He owns a place called the Yawning Portal Inn. I'm sure he'd offer you a reward and put you up for a bit if you have no other place to stay in Waterdeep. What do you say?"

Spoiler
    Show

For the escape, battle and RP, you'll all rewarded 3000 EXP.
    Characters:

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Rala

Rala grins broadly as he enjoyed the feeling of the sunshine on his face. He glances over at Naneatha when she makes her offer of invitation.

I suppose I owe you that, and more, for masterminding getting us out of that hole.

He looks over at the brothers, and then at the shy monk and the quick halfling.

What do you say, gentlemen?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man lifted the half-elf up to perch on edge of the window. He handed her a potion, "It's a spider climb potion. We'll need it to get you out of here."
    Characters:

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Arynn - half elf spider

Arynn sniffs the potion before drinking it. It could of course be an elaborate way of poisoning her. Sometimes a girl just got to take a chance, though, so she drinks it down, waiting for the effect to kick in. "May I ask your name? And why you need to get me out of here?"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

As she drank the potion, Arynn's hands felt sticky to the touch. They gripped the vertical side of the wall just as if she was standing on flat ground and they started up the side of the Keep.

The Red Sash member looked over and shook his head, "My name isn't important. I have been tasked with removing you from this cell as you've been wrongfully put there. Your cousin is, or was, a friend of ours and some of us are doubting what happened to you."

When they reached the top of the keep, two coiled rope and grappling hook laid on the ground. The man took the first one, and threw it over the ramparts of the closest tower. He handed it to her, followed by a second potion. "Featherfall. Now go, we don't have a lot of time." He picked up the second grappling hook and threw his over the same tower and jumped off.
    Characters:

24. - Top - End - #204

Ben

Ben is very glad to see the sun again. He gladly assists in paddling towards the civilized city. His piligrimage to Waterdeep having originated from the wilds of the north, with all his possesions stolen, Ben has nowhere to go and decides to take Naneatha up on her offer.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Arynn - half elf in flight

This time Arynn doesn't hesitate to drink the potion. She grabs the rope and swings herself off the roof after the The Red Sash, with a glance down to see if they've been noticed or not. Well, it's a good thing someone's doubting that backstabbing bitch' words.... Out loud she says:"Don't call her my cousin. I want nothing more to do with her."

26. - Top - End - #206

Astodac

Astodac readies nods agreement to the idea of the Yawning Portal. The thought of a bath to cleanse himself from the underground grime and a couple glasses of wine to warm his bones pleases him to no end, and the smile on his face is positively ear to ear.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tosk, Ogre Ranger

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man raised a brow at Arynn's comment, but said nothing, jumping off the Keep instead. They both flew like a pendulum over the Courtyard and the walls, jumping off on the other side. The potion allowed them to slowly fall down safely to the ground.

"We've got a place for you to hide, in the Yawning Portal Inn. Durnan has agreed to hide you until we sort this out." Durnan was the owner of the Yawning Portal Inn and a former adventurer. This Inn sat over an entrance to Undermountain, so if was often full of various people looking to strike it rich in the Crazy Ol'Halatser's former domain.

It was still rather early in the night, so they had to move quickly to avoid detection. During the trip, the man had removed his hood and face cover to show a mid-aged rather handsome man, who was no more forth coming than what he had already been. The inn wasn't too far, so by the hour they had made it inside.

As expected, the Inn was full of people on the eve of High Harvest of all races and professions. The man moved directly towards the bar, and the bartender - a gruff, burly, russet-haired man nodded his head to the back room. The back room of the bar was rather nondescript, with a few tables and chairs and a number of ale kegs. "As we agreed, you said you hide this woman for a few days."

The man nodded. "Aye lad, just don't go forgetting the pay - and she ain't here forever." He turned to Arynn and nodded, "Name's Durnan, an' I own this place. Don't go causing any trouble, you hear?"

Then, from the bar, you hear the sound of a familiar voice - your cousin..."Molly, it's me, I'm back. Where's Durnan? I really need to speak with him."

~*~*~

After reaching the surface, you weren't in any rush to get anywhere - least not while there were a few minutes of sun still in the sky. After it had set for a while, you reached your destination, the Yawning Portal Inn. "For those that don't know, this is how you get into Undermountain. Durnan runs an elevator. We probably could have reached the surface this way, but it was far more dangerous than the way we took."

Naneatha sung open the door to show a bustling pub will of all sorts of races and professions. She motioned you to follow her to the bar as she went over to speak to the woman serving drinks. "Molly, it's me, I'm back. Where's Durnan? I really need to speak with him."
    Characters:

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Arynn - unarmed half elf

Arynn nodded to Durnan. "Good to meet you. I'm...noone important." Upon hearing the familiar voice from the bar, her eyes turn to narrow slits and she automatically reaches for her dagger, but there's nothing there. The guards took anything that could be used as a weapon. In stead she looks up at the Red Sash, nodding out towards the bar. "She's here..." She starts moving towards the bar, fingers itching to grab her cousin and shake some answers out of her.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

The man's eyes also narrowed at the sound of the voice. "Durnan, can you bring here in here."

Durnan went to the door, and poked her head out. "Naneatha, in here."

She motioned to the others to follow her and went into the back room. "Durnan! It's so go---"

As she entered the room, Durnan threw her against the wall and pressed his forearm across her neck. "What have you done!"

The other man tried to push the door closed before the others could get in, but he wasn't quick enough.
    Characters:

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Arynn - enraged half elf

An attractive half elf woman in a simple dress, with long, black hair, also moves in on Nanaeatha with rage in her dark blue eyes. "Why, Nanaeatha?! How could you set me up like that?!"