New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Adventuring 101: Part 1 - Around The World In...We'll Decide Later.

Ignoring Emily even though she called Fhil by his name, which highly caught his attention at first, Fhil answers to Karin:

I have a very important question for you. I read that you are a prodigious person and that your talents can help me. I was chosen to prevent a catastrophic event to hapen. Actually, that's what I keep saying to people, although it's not true. With 16 wisdom, I know that, now that I'm talking about it...

...O-kay...

I'm disapointed. I really thought I had a valuable goal in life. But-wait! I have another feeling-I, I was adopted!

Fhil stands frozen, incredulous, his mouth open.
    Last edited by Flame_Excess; 2008-05-25 at 10:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

"That is...sad to hear." Karin says. She floats on over to Fhil, and pats him in the back empathically. She then hovers toward the center of the lobby, where there are a number of long couches. "You guys can set up shop here for today, and tomorrow we'll head on out!"

She claps her hand against her plastered arm. "OW."

Summoned by her clapping, appear tables with lamps on them, sets of drawers and chests, chairs, and a salad and cappuccino bar.

"Beds aren't installed. Sorry. I'd help you get a bedroom, but my maze enchantment's going a little crazy lately. I'm thinking I might sell this place before anyone finds out."

The ooze bubbles harmlessly.

"If anyone wants that as a pet, they can have it."
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-05-25 at 10:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93

To Richard, MLE says, "I don't know- some of them will appreciate it. I just hope none of them decide to show of their poetry skills- I have heard stories of monsters who write the second-worst poetry in the world, and it can cause haemorrhage."

To KarinMLE shakes his head and replies, "I have plenty of semi-tame semi-intelligent semi- Deus Ex Machina things to deal with," he says, quickly putting his hands over his backpack, from which the same muffled voice emanates.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

Thanks to xiolin_monk (AKA Maestro) for the Wolf Priest avvy.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Panitari will quickly lay claim to one of the chairs, and toss her stuff next to it.

"Well, my friends, all these...interesting happenings have tired me out quite a bit...so, I think I'll just go to sleep. I will see you all in the morning..." She thinks to herself Whether I want to or not. Wackos.

She'll curl up her small frame in one of the chairs, and drift into her dreamless sleep, unless further harassed.

5. - Top - End - #95

MLE sems to be waiting for everyone else to fall asleep, although he doesn't say anything; he also glances occasionally at his backpack.
    BImportant note: I'll be away from the Internet for two weeks. Apologies to anyone this causes a problem for.

I am the insane creator of the Mind Flayer Paladin of Freedom. Fear his brain-eating for goodness.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Richard glances around the room, sighs, and then makes himself a salad for dinner. With his new 'friend' Bryant gone, the young girl asleep, and MLE fidgeting in the corner with his pack it didn't look as if there was much conversation to be had other than with that odd woodsman. With that in mind, the poet finished his salad and walked over to their somewhat deranged hostess, "Thank you for letting us use your house, Ms. Karin. Please though, let us help you in the future rather than tossing about your somewhat dangerously mis-fired spells or smacking your broken arm. It wouldn't do for you to become more injured. Anyway, thanks again and good night."

Richard tips his hat to the lady, and then chooses a couch.
    It ain't braggin' if you can back it up.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll be going then. I have to find myself another hobby.

Oh, if you have any idea in mind, feel free to share it with me.

8. - Top - End - #98

"Well mister Fhil, if you don't want to help, I guess that's fine. Though adventuring is the most involving hobby around, I've heard say." Karin says. She lets out a yawn. "Anyway, I'll be retiring too."

She sets herself against the seat, her chair floating up enough to tilt comfortably aback, and closes her eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fhil, I'm gonna fast-forward, whether you are meditating or awake doesn't entirely matter, though I assume you would rest so as not to risk fatigue penalties.

Night settled in Yawnsburg, which had seen a slight increase in the influx of eccentricity for the day. The Gnomish gliders that had no caught fire tended to their friends, with everyone high-fiveing each other for reasons unknown. The tavern closed for the night, its half-giant barkeep throwing bodily the drunken goblins and bugbears languishing within. In the government office, Minerva played with her antennae one last time before closing her book, and leaving to the back office, where they kept a small room for her. The tollbooths were closed, the Sicily clone drank an oily potion to keep her awake (as Sicily Stores were open 24 hours a day).

Things were rather normal for a time. The skies were blue, grasshoppers chirped, and the stars were in place. All save a single of these shining beacons, which seemed to be moving relatively fast across the sky. It zipped overhead in a curve, dipped low, and grew larger. Its movement could be best described as "careening." The star was careening towards Paradiso, specifically to the fourth peak of Yawnsburg.

"Oh my!" said an onlooking girl, watching the star. She passed her goggles of sightseeing to her dwarf companion.

"By my beard, that star be headed right for the mount!"

It was these two, Romilda Sparkling the 21st level Commoner and her companion Bob D. Plainfolk, 21st level Expert, famous daredevils and generally off-their-rocker sort of folk, who saw the event unfold. The star was in their plain view for just a simple moment – and it was rotund, and metal, and boasted a strange insignia. Then it flew overhead leaving a trail of smoke and fire in the ruptured clouds, and smote the mountaintop with a potent explosion.

Romilda blinked, and her mouth hung.

"Looks t'me like we should find 'nother mountain to climb." Bob said.

Chapter 2: Mount Unstable and the Dromeda Legion

Next morning, everyone awakens distinctly remembering having heard some kind of booming noise in their dreams, or meditation-induced visions, or whatever sorry excuse for resting their strange race possesses for no particular reason. Karin herself looks rather bedraggled. "That was an awful dream, I finally uncovered the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum in an archeological dig, and when I read it, it's full of explosive runes. The booming noise was so real too..."

On one table is a note from Bryant Duorn, which reads:

"Fellow comrades, it is with much regret that I take my leave of you. As you saw, our employer, dignified as she is, released a number of creatures into the world that as a good natured person I cannot allow to wreak whatever havoc they please. Hopefully I will find my inner adventurer as I did in the second age."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hope that was good!

Edit: There was some slight confusion presented to me on the subject of the whole chaptering thing. This game is separated into chapters, which might a day or a series of days. They're all done in the same topic. When we have a new topic, I will make it explicit and obvious, otherwise, use this one.
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-05-26 at 08:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

AssassinGuy

Panitari wakes up, and stretches...looking remarkably like a child as she does so. "That was strange...I don't dream, but I somehow remember a loud noise last night. I must have woken, briefly. Did anyone else hear anything?"

She reclines across the chair arms, lazily, and a small crystalline object, looking like a piece of faintly pink quartz, falls out of her pocket...it then grows several small translucent legs, and, moving a bit like a spider, crawls up over the chair, and along her body, till it sits on her chest.
    Last edited by Helepolis; 2008-05-26 at 09:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fhil had shown his disinterest in resting at Karin's cottage but he was rather tempted with the idea of adventure since he didn't leave.

Fhil meditated a couple of hours, only his backpack taken off, but still bearing his armor, after which he was gone.

Spoiler
    Show
    That warning you gave me at the beginning troubles me. I would have said that Fhil left before Bryant and so I wouldn't have seen the letter. Does it really matter? In any case, I was told not to do anything as little as you may think it is.

He finished his tour around the city at night to end up at the sicily store. He layed his eyes on the Sicily seller and approached irresolute. Nonetheless, his curiosity was piqued.

This is...? he asked, after closing with the woman, 2 squares away.

11. - Top - End - #101

Unfortunately, the cottage door slams in Fhil's face as he tries to leave, knocking him out for the night, into the safety of the indoor welcome mat. No saving throw; this door is quite a pro at what it does.

"Sorry, I already let one escape, and I don't think miss Karin will be happy if more of her friends leave!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Flame, I really don't want to mess around in backwards-time, and your character has been inordinately difficult to motivate, handle and wrangle thus far, so let's move on, I think the first day has lasted enough for an intro.

12. - Top - End - #102

The Mechanicforged looks quite surprised.

"I think I actually slept last night. That's a bit... weird, I suppose you would say, since I was designed to work twenty-five hours a day. But whateveer happened, I dreamt that I was giving an employer a bill, but they weren't happy and pulled out a wand of Fireball...

Bizarre, eh?"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Richard walks towards MLE13 and Panitari, "You two as well? I dreamt I was being yelled at by a great fire-breathing Drake--or possibly my mother. Could the house be cursed? Or, more likely, blessed by a currently misfiring spell designed to give us pleasant dreams?"

The poet jumps a bit when he finally realizes that a crystal spider is sitting on Panitari. Lowering his voice to the appropriate don't-startle-the-monster voice, Richard whispers to the 'girl', "Panitari, careful now. One of Karin's creatures appears to be perching on you. I'll get it off--just stay very, very still." Linkely then pulls out one of his pencils and slowly inches towards the creature, preparing to dislodge it with a carefully placed poke.

14. - Top - End - #104

Incredulous, MLE watches the "greatest poet" inch towards the crystal spider.

Better not tell him about my toaster... he thinks...

15. - Top - End - #105

"That's not mine. Eep!" Karin says, shrinking away from the spider.

16. - Top - End - #106

AssassinGuy

Panitari raises one eye brow, and then shakes her head, as the rock with legs crawls farther up her chest, over her shoulder, and into her pack. "I don't think I'm in much danger from a crystal possessing a shard of my personality, guys. It's just more or less a familiar...but less natural looking. He doesn't bite, or anything"

17. - Top - End - #107

"That's good!" Karin says. "For a moment I thought I might have cast something at night. It hasn't happened yet, but I worry sometimes."

She looks around. "Ah yes, breakfast, I should do something...nothing about that. I should do nothing about that." She looks like she remembers what her magic does. "I would try to find the kitchen, but I'm afraid I can't until my maze enchantment is gone. I know, we can walk down to the Sicily Wagon, and see if she's filled out her franchise application for a Sicily Restaurant yet. I hear the food is good and the music is better! I wanted to go to the one in the Nine Hells...but then this happened."

After all the babbling, she notes Fhil on the floor. "Oh my. Maybe somebody should help. Poor confused man. Or perhaps we might leave him there and go get breakfast. I think he's a Druid, so maybe he can talk to squirrels and get some nuts to eat. If there are any squirrels around here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Go along with it Flame, you can wake up now, or hell, stay asleep or whatever, just try to be sequential about things from now on, or if you're going to do something weird, state it in advance so I can prepare for it.

Also, yes, this is a democratic thing. If the party wants to go out for breakfast and leave Fhil unconscious at the door because he didn't wake up soon enough, or because he didn't want to wake up, or even if he does wake up, you can, and so on. I will take responsibility for carrying out whatever choice is in-character for you, especially given you don't really know anything about Fhil except he's nuts.
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-05-27 at 04:08 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

AssassinGuy

Panitari shrugs. "Sounds like a plan to me..."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, I'm all in favor of leaving him to fend for himself, but I think it might be a bit dangerous to leave him unattended in your house, Ms. Karin. Not so much for you or yours, but rather for him." Richard squints a little and flicks his forefinger off his thumb, as if at the ear of an annoying sibling.

"He should come around, now. Worst comes to worst, we can always knock him out again, right? Now, about this restaurant, it sounds grand! "

Spoiler
    Show
    I just used Mage Hand from my 'Spell Hand' feat to flick your ear Flame, I assume that wakes you.
    Last edited by Lepre_Khan; 2008-05-27 at 05:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fhil wakes in surprise.

HA, ah, ah! he laughs.

His laugher gets horrible as he laughs more and more. After a few seconds, he takes a deep breath and say:

You won't believe me. I had the funniest dream I have ever had. There was a fluorescent cabbage running in the woods with a fork +2, +7 against elves and he caught me up when I was running in the sky like a windwalker. At one point, it jumps and suddenly, about when it was to hit me, the Galbion draws out of nowhere and hit the cabbage to bring it with him to another continent. At that moment, I look beneath me before to free fall from the clouds at full speed to finally crash on the surface making an incredible hole and a terrible explosion! Ha!

After his speech, Fhil stands up as if he had never been hit by that door, forgetful.

What an adventure! It sounds fun, actually. Is it anything close to what you live everyday?
    Last edited by Flame_Excess; 2008-05-27 at 10:10 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Richard shrugs towards his companions and starts to really wish he knew how to cast Sleep. "Sorry. It just seemed like the right thing to do, at the time." Turning back to the confused woodsman, Linkely speaks firmly and slowly as Mother used to speak to the servants who made some sort of foolish error. "He-llloooo. I. Am. Richard." The poet points to himself and continues, "Who. Are. You?" Linkely then points at Mr. Fhil.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fhil shows confusion and says to Linkely:

Are you okay? It seems like your only friends are hungry mindflayers.

Fhil quickly moves on, deftly grabing Linkely's finger with his hand. He firmly shakes it like for a handshake. You can feel the strenght of his grip.

I am Leenlhyaen Amduulthi but they call me Fhil. And by they, it's the people with who I grew. Fhil means elf friend in derived elven.

He releases the finger, that would inevitably be in pain for a delicate man.

I live in the woods. I like it there better than here. In fact, I can't wait to return there. I feel traped when I'm in a place like here.

23. - Top - End - #113

AssassinGuy

Panitari shakes her head, and sighs. Then she sort of sits there, staring off in no particular direction...to an observer, she looks dazed. She's really just ranting telepathically to her crystal about how little she thinks of this group so far....

24. - Top - End - #114

Karin watches with curiosity, and reaches slowly into her pocket, taking out a pen and a flip-up notebook, and starting to write...all the while keeping her eyes on Fhil and Richard. She never once looks down at what she's writing.

25. - Top - End - #115

MLE-13

MLE shakes his head, then suddenly looks up and says, "Oh, there's something I ought to tell you. If I get injured, or fall through an interdimensional rift, or eaten by a Grue, or whatever- you'll find a toaster in my pack."

"Don't touch it, OK?"

That mystifying comment seems very important, for some reason...

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Richard reclaims his finger from the over-zealous shake of the woodsman, "Uhh...alright then, Fhil. Why are you here then instead of back in your forest?" Before Fhil can answer, Linkely rushes on, "Wait! Don't answer now, you can tell us over breakfast. You as well M, you explain all about your toaster over breakfast."

27. - Top - End - #117

"Over breakfast would be perfect," MLE replies. "I can certainly wait until breakfast."

28. - Top - End - #118

"Breakfast it is then!" Karin says. "Majority wins."

She floats in her chair towards the door, and it swings open for her. "Alright, follow me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to interact a bit more, you can now. If the majority doesn't feel like saying anything more right now, we can fast forward. Just tell me in a spoiler alongside your next posts what you want to do.
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-05-28 at 03:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

AssassinGuy

Panitari follows, her crystal now riding on her shoulder. She walks next to Karin, not having much to say to the others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We can just skip ahead to eating, or what have you, unless anyone else wants to talk

30. - Top - End - #120

MLE also follows Karin, not speaking unless spoken to.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yep, happy to fast-forward.