New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Good: Humanities end. IC

Today is Casta Albinia Allegra Dove Minerva Fidelia Alette Blythe Domnia Delicia Aurelia Grace Isabel Griselda Gwyneth Pearl Ruby Lily Iris Briar-Rose's name day, and you all have been selected as godparents, along with 8 others.

The 12 of you look over the plaza that will in a few hours hold thousands of people, all waiting to see the new-born.

Hopefully she survives that long.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Good: Humanities end. IC

Jack of Blades

A centaur stands towards the front of the group, seven feet and several thousand pounds of bluff, hearty equine humanoid. His face is recognizably human-like, but subtly different from a human's; his features broader, flatter, and rather hairier, with a long mane of hair and a thick beard broken by a smile full of large, flat teeth.

Jack's attention is split between the currently-empty plaza and the 11 faces of his fellow godparents. He has little doubt that they were picked for their own abilities, as he was. Perhaps a match later... or not. He suspects they will all be quite busy in the days ahead.

The princess's fate does not weigh heavily on his mind. After all, she has him for a protector, doesn't she?
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Cobol

One of the more stranger characters present is an ogre mage. Normally these vile creatures are the enemy of the empire, but lately some sort of variant of these evildo-ers emerges between the ranks of the militairy.

This blue gaint stands 11'2" tall, with buldging blue muscles under a shiny mythril full plate. a large animated adamantine shied - with a design of one of the many dukes of the empire - floats around him, and a large adamantine greatsword is packed on his back. This critter seems no longer a raging brute, but a charismatic force that should be reconed with on the battlefield ...
    Yes, tabaxi grappler. It's a thing

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Alucard (TFS): I do things. I take very enthusiastic walks through the woods
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries
    Actually, "(e-1)/e for a limit to infinitiy", but, it's a good rule of thumb

4. - Top - End - #4

Xulvol N'Sharen

Xulvol stands in the front, beside the centaur. His batlike wings wrap around his humanoid form and his eyes, long accustomed to the light of the surface world, squint only slightly at the light of the morning sun. His piwafwi lies across his back, his wings emerging from slits in the shimmering black cloak. He wears simple but elegant clothes of silver cloth, the same color as his eyes. Around his waist is an intricate silver-and-leather belt, from which hangs a single sheathed dagger.

His hand nows rests lightly on the hilt of that dagger, crafted by the very people whose savior he is sworn to protect. He surveys the group and their surroundings, wary but not afraid. He doubted that their were many threats beyond the ken of all those assembled here.

Xulvol catches the eye of the centaur as he looks his way, and says, in a polite but audible voice, "Greetings, fellow warrior," nodding towards the centaur's strange weapon. "My name is Xulvol N'Sharen, formerly of the twelfth house of Nathiirde, before I left for more civilized lands." He smiles slightly. For all of their accomplishments, the drow could hardly be called "civilized". He then asks, "And you are?"
    Thanks to Thormag for my Legion avatar.

Current Characters:

Lily Nightingale, a.k.a. Sparrow, in V for Victory (OoC)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrist

Feeling strangely out of place, Hrist stands close to the winged... elf (?) and looks over the plaza in a somewhat crouched position. The strange mix creatures, many of which looked well armed made this place look like home, but the one key difference was still too clear in her mind that it made her uneasy. The fact that drawing blades here was such a serious offense rather then an informal greeting had caused her to draw a level of discipline she didn't know she had. She simply listened to the one who introduced himself as Xolvul (it was strange, she had to work a bit harder to restrain herself from challenging him, maybe it was the wings...) with her arms crossed.

She wasn't quite as large as the ogre mage, but if she stood upright she would have still towered over many of the ones present. Her blue eyes, silvery hair and pristine skin, combined with her white feathered wings and helmet gave her an almost celestial look. This changed from her waist down, as her legs slowly became more animalistic, until they reached a pair of large, razor sharp talons that subtly scratch against the floor. Her outfit was just a series of light blue sashes, twisting and covering her torso down to her thighs. She also wore a pair of sturdy bracers, some light gauntlets, a vest of a darker blue and a belt from, which hung a pair of scabbards and and a pouch. A large halberd rested strapped on to her back and a heavy looking shield seemed to stand propped up against her.

"A warrior?" It took her a few seconds to see the small dagger on his side. "Ah, interesting. I am Hrist, may we do bat-... No, nothing." She stops herself before finishing, habits were hard to break. A spark of lightning seemed to crackle by her eye.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

6. - Top - End - #6

Jack of Blades

"Jack," the centaur introduced himself plainly. "Called 'Jack of Blades' by some." His hand brushed the two-bladed sword in its leather harness, making it clear where he had received that appellation.

"It's been far too long since I last faced fighters who could match me. You look like you just might fit that bill." An unusual complement, perhaps, but well-meant. His eyes alighted on the - siren? Harpy? Whatever she might be, her self-interrupted greeting indicated he may have found a being after his own heart.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Xulvol

Xulvol smirks at the celestial's disconcerted look, and slightly awkward geeting. He says, "Well met, Hrist. Strange chance that unites a being of the upper planes with the bastard child of a baatezu. Just one of the many oddities of life, I suppose." He seems good-natured, almost cheerful even, but still a little bit guarded and wary, knowledgable of the harsh judgment many celestials are known for.

He then turns back to the centaur, Jack. "With all modesty, I'm one of the best. Good enough to fight my way out of the stinking cesspool of the Underdark, at any rate. Not many can claim such an accomplishment. Though I have to say, I might have to call it an even start. I'm familiar enough for those who fight with two blades and even two bladed weapons, but I've never come across a centaur using such arms. I favor a single blade myself." He motions toward his dagger. "Perhaps later we can all have a match. Help keep us sharp to protect the girl." He addresses this comment to Hrist as well.

Current Characters:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrist

"The upper planes? Haha, you're not the first to think that, my matron's influence perhaps." Hrist gives her wings a quick flutter. "She may have been a native, but I don't think I could stand the serenity there. No, I am a being of Ysgard, where ones worth is measured by her valor, not her blood."

The excitement seemed to show in her voice "It sounds like you two may join us in due time. Such confidence is good, I would love to see if how we fare..." Her hands seem to slowly move to her scabbards, her expression becoming more ecstatic as they drew closer. When they reach the hilts though, they reluctantly leave them in place. Instead one of them moves to the her pouch and loosens the opening, allowing a tiny opal to climb out. Using a set of spider like legs, it moves and clings on to the back of her shield. She gives the little crystal a rather annoyed look. "...but it can wait until later, after the event..."

After a brief pause, she tries to ignore the opal. She turns to Jack and Xulvol. "So, why may I ask are you here to protect the girl? You hardly seem human after all."

9. - Top - End - #9

Jack of Blades

Jack shrugged. "I just like them, that's all. Humans are so interesting. They set their sights on something and don't stop striving for it, right up until they die. Most centaur are much more content. Really very boring in comparison."

This pseudo-philosophical outlook was ruined by his adding, "Besides, you just know there's some real killers out there who won't be interested in seeing the humans' rise to power. There'll be some good fighting over this little one, mark my words."

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Cobol

the ogre mage adds
    "Now, now. No reason to pull the racial card. Since you're not human either, its not nice to pick on the horseman, just becuase he's got two left feat ... and two right ones off course" he adds with a tusk revealing smile.

RFC1925: With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Math Rule of thumb: 1/X chance : There's about a 2/3 of it happening at least once in X tries

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrist

Hrist simply grins as she hears Jack's answer. If his actions were true to his word, this one looked to have been born for Ysgard. She looks to Xolvul, somewhat hopeful, but instead turns to the ogre magi when he joins the chat.

She leaves her hunched position and stands fully upright to face him. Even though she was still a few feet below his eye level she stood proud, maybe even defiantly. The crystal acts erratically for a few seconds, perhaps because the shield where it stood started to move and rise, but there seemed to be something more. It seems to calm down when the shield reaches Hrist's level and at this point leaps onto her shoulder and clingings on.

With a more relaxed voice then her appearance would hint, she answers. "It's simply curiosity, nothing more. After all, if what I've been told of the girl is true then this is really a human affair. If she's so destined to do bring the humans to greatness then it should fall onto them to protect her while she's young. If they can't, then perhaps they aren't meant for greatness." The little crystal on her side seemed to cling on tighter then normal, leaving visible markings with its pointed, spider-like appendages. Hrist turns to it for a second, after which it loosens up and crawls back into her belt pouch.

"Perhaps I seem hypocritical, I chose to come her on my own free will after all and I must say I would miss humanity if it where to die out. They have produced some of the most stubborn warriors I have had the honor of dueling. Its why I'm here really, its a favor to one that I met just a few weeks ago. He asked me to take his place."

12. - Top - End - #12

Xulvol

Xulvol nods respectfully at Hrist, then says, "I too am here for a favor, at least in part. It was thanks to a human paladin that I managed to find my freedom, both from the physical prison of the Underdark and the mental entrapment of wickedness bred therein. Upon this girl all of their hopes rest. To protect her is the least I could do. They gave me hope, and so I return it."

He flutters his wings slightly, and then he continues, "And it is said that this girl will make the humans great. How can they defend her, then, from those who are already great, or terrible, as the case may be? I have sworn to defend this girl, and so I shall. My word is my bond. I require nothing more." In this moment, he appears as radiant as a mighty paladin, or perhaps one of the celestials he mistook Hrist for. He was willing to die to save this child, and he had yet to even meet her.

Current Characters:

13. - Top - End - #13

Jack of Blades

Jack blinks as Xulvol seems to momentarily become transcendent, like an inner light was shining within him.

His own reasons were grounded in much more down-to-earth soil, but one had to admire the purity of purpose.

He shook himself and looked up at the ogre mage, who topped Jack by several feet. It was a new experience for him, not being the largest in any gathering. "And yourself, our ogrish friend?" he wondered. "What brings you to come down on the side of humanity?"

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Cobol

the ogre mage thinks for a second and then replies

"Would you believe me if I said I do not know nor care? I am for law, duty, grace, reason and truth. For all parts of goodness, that need to be preserved. And I am also here because my Lord Chistopher Davenport has allowed me to be here. those are the things I know and those are the things that should be most important"

this cryptic answer seems to be the explenation large monster seems to give, as the does not continue to explain himself.

15. - Top - End - #15

Xulvol

Xulvol nods his head respectfully at the ogre mage. He'd had to kill a few before, and they were devilish creatures. He was glad the massive warrior was on their side. "Well said, friend. Truly there is no higher cause than service, to one's lord, one's land, or one's sacred honor." His wings spread wide as he speaks, making him seem larger than he really is, though by no means close to Cobol.

Current Characters:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

The other 8, having already become acquainted with one another, have been watching the area ever since you all arrived.
    Krzzztttz, the Tri-keen oracle, wanders by, apparently blind to your presence as he mutters, throwing powders into the air that make Hrist feel vaguely sick.
    At the same time, Nejamplad, a Windscythe Druidess, dances along the corridors, leaving the air turbulent and angry in her wake.
    High above, four of the others are perched at the cardinal points of the keep, occasionally swiftly dealing some too eager evil.
    "Helooo? Yes!"
    A large winged serpent crawls up to you, its spectacles strapped to his(?) head with tape and what appears to be rope.
    "I is Felisssh. Is good to meet you all, yessss!?"
    His coils finally catch up with him, and he rises up to meet your eyes, a slightly lopsided and dazed expression on his face.
    "Queen is sssorry she could not be here to meet you, as princesssss is having name day jitters."
    Felish looks towards the courtyard for a moment.
    "I is not good at thessse things, mate usualy dealsssss with people, so um....... you can follow me, good with you?"
    As he attempts the complicated process of turning around, his wings twitch from the air brushing over them, their almost sickly appearance making those of you with wings feel uncomfortable, seeing how he occasionally turns his head so he can gaze back at them with pride.
    Last edited by wadledo; 2008-05-31 at 08:58 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrist

Warding? Rather then stay and have the thri keen's powders try and reject her, Hrist gets moving. Spreading her wings she takes to the air and follows Felisssh, trying to ignore his painful looking maneuvers. The winged serpent didn't look like it would last on the plains... Yet he was here. She couldn't help wondering what he could do in the likely scenario...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Cobol

(uses detect evil on Felis - though I recon it will reveal nothing ...)

Cobol follows the winged serpent and even semi-flies over to him/her/it.
    "Excuse me, but what is your task here in this palace?" he friendly informs.

19. - Top - End - #19

Xulvol

Xulvol follows the sickly creature, feeling less than confident now. If this is what they chose to protect the girl, she didn't stand a chance. Still, he would do his best to help her. He hooks his wings in front of himself, looking like a drow wearing a thick, leathery robe, and walks swiftly but steadily after the wretched serpent.

Current Characters:

20. - Top - End - #20

Jack of Blades

Jack is more interested in the four beings perched atop the keep than the rather silly-looking winged serpent, but he follows along agreeably enough. The sooner they learned of their place in the defenses, the sooner he could get to cracking some skulls, lopping off limbs and other such enjoyable pursuits.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Glowing with pride, Felish coils into a spring and raises himself up, spreading his wings wide(though they don't even reach across the corridor);"I..... Is A Librarian!"

At this, you finally recognize what it was about him that seemed so odd.
    He looks exactly like a couatl, except much smaller, without the head and tail feathers, and ragged grey instead of rainbow wings.

"Well," He looks sheepish and turns back to slither along the passage, "Assisssstant librarian.
    But Kitty say'ssss I do lots of good work, and sssshe's ssssmart."

Felish crawls deeper into the keep, and the corridor turns slightly to the left.
    After a minute or two, you can tell that the castle is shaped like a conch, with heavily fortified doors every three hundred or so yards, and smaller wooden ones that enter into normal rooms.
    You occasionally pass servants, all who give Felish a smile before carefully skirting around the rest of you.

Cobol:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Round 1: Yes evil.
    Round 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 aura, and it's verrry powerful(I.e. overwhelming, but not enough to stun you).

Round 3:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Coming from around Felish, but not in him.
    A lot around the wings, head and tip of tail.

Jack:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Make spot checks then.
    Last edited by wadledo; 2008-06-04 at 08:08 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Jack of Blades

"A librarian." Jack said blankly, as if he just doesn't know what to do with this information. He turns to Xulvol, who was closest, and said, "I have to be honest with you: I was hoping we rated a little higher - being the new guardians of the savior of the human race, and all - than to be met by an assistant librarian."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+6)[12](18)

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Cobol

Tentive the Orge mage listens to Felish, and then replies "A librarian ... you don't say ... Might I enquire why you have the stench of evil around you?" 'evil' was more spit out then it was spoken, and cobol also reaches for his huge adamantine blade*, currently still on his back ...

(*large greatsword)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Hrist

"Really? I can honestly say you don't seem like the type..." Hrist seems to be taking this more as a game then anything else. After a second of concentration, her psicrystal crawls out of her side pouch, acting much more worried then its owner. She simply gave the serpent an inquisitive look over, a grin spreading over across her face.

Spoiler
    Show
    She'll manifest Detect Hostile Intent, sharing it with her psicrystal. Amongst other things, it lets her use sense motive as a free action.

Hrist's Sense Motive: (1d20+38)[46]
    Psicrystal's Sense Motive: (1d20+22)[41]
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2008-06-09 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Typos, gotta fix that keyboard...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Felish raises on wing, sniffing under it;
    "Evil?
    I take bath this morning."

Hrist
    Spoiler
    Show
    No hostile intent.
    All you get from Felish is that he's stupid.
    Very stupid.

Jack
    Spoiler
    Show
    From the angle you were at, all you could see was a fey woman, with odd proportions.
    You didn't get a good look at her though, so you can't exactly say what's so odd.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Xulvol

Xulvol whispers back to the centaur, "Perhaps these humans value knowledge," with a wry smirk on his face. He chuckles softly, then says, "Just be glad for a moment where no one's trying to kill you. You'll have precious few around me." His smile appears a bit less light-hearted, but no less sincere, as he says this.

Current Characters:

27. - Top - End - #27

Jack of Blades

Jack glanced at Cobol. In a moment, his own weapon was in his hand. "So... evil? Not evil? I'm not sure how important librarians are in the grand scheme of things, but it might not go down too well with the queen if we kill hers. Anyway, he doesn't exactly seem formidable."

"Still," he added philosophically, spinning his two-handed sword idly. "Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll turn out to be one of the fun ones after all."

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

-- sry for the delay, darn updates ... I really hope this one doesn't die ...--

Cobol

He draws the large adamanite blade from his back with one hand, but puts it on his sholder, then he scratches his head "... yeah, I think I should indeed get to the bottom of this ..." he turns to the librarian and squints his eyes "That doesn't mean I turst you just yet ..."