New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Darkhallow Chronicles

I think I fell in love with Isabella in comic 10. I don't need to say why.

Well so far, it's terrific. Very unique but interesting art style, good dialogue, captivating characters, nice humor, good action, OMG a plot, and it's only 11 comics in. I'm hooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Just checking... you do realize that when someone puts a funny hat on, they don't instantly split into two separate people, right?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, since I'm going out of town this weekend, I thought I'd hurry and finish this update early. So without further ado:

#12: Grand Entrance
    Spoiler
    Show

Comments welcome.

I think I fell in love with Isabella in comic 10. I don't need to say why.
    To quote Randy Bachman, "You ain't seen nothing yet". Thanks for the positive comment. It's nice to know my work is appreciated.
    "Quiet tales of hamsters are foolish, but a man and his hamster that tear evil limb from limb? That's scary!" - Minsc

My DeviantArt: http://jlechuga.deviantart.com/
    If you like my work, feel free to watch me, favorite, tell your friends, or make a request. It might take me some time, but I'll take a crack at just about anything thrown my way.

If you'd like to use any of my pictures, just a link back to my DA page will work for credit. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, I thought I'd share a digitally remastered version of the map of Valora. This way you guys will know what the places in the comic and character descriptions are. If you're wondering where our characters are, they're in the forest to the west of Naviali, way down South, investigating reports from the villagers in the Western Plains. Anyways, just click on the map to see a larger(much larger) version.

or for an even larger version: http://i26.tinypic.com/xp7eyx.jpg.

Enjoy.
    "Quiet tales of hamsters are foolish, but a man and his hamster that tear evil limb from limb? That's scary!" - Minsc

If you like my work, feel free to watch me, favorite, tell your friends, or make a request. It might take me some time, but I'll take a crack at just about anything thrown my way.

If you'd like to use any of my pictures, just a link back to my DA page will work for credit. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, this has been the most time consuming update by far. I was going to wait until next week to do it, out of fear that it'd look terrible, but I decided to buckle down and just get to work. This was a huge test of my artistic abilities, I must say, though I think it came out pretty good. You be the judge.

#13: Surprise!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

As always, comments are welcome.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

He's doomed beyond comprehension if he's not packing a lot of area effects

6. - Top - End - #36

Love his expression.
    Quote Of The Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It (last updated 1/17/12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.
    Which is saying something, considering that Chuck Norris... was Chuck Norris.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was bored so I decided to make these:

OotS Style Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Deiji

Drake

Last edited by BooTheHamster; 2008-06-23 at 03:02 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Those avatars are awesome.
    Want an avatar? Shoot me a PM.
    Current DYF Avatar by the fantastic Alarra

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    And Szilard, great job! You make me proud!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Szilard is wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    In Soviet Russia, internet give you.
    (is given to Szilard. With bow. Clothes optional.)
    ABR: SDSB Archive

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

And another update!

#14: Houdini Could Do it
    Spoiler
    Show

Oh, crackerjacks!

Alright, this week is FINALS week for me, so that means I may not be updating again until late Saturday or Sunday. Luckily, the scripts for the next few updates are done, so it's just a matter of doing the hard part. I will likely churn out a couple more things for the Special Features section, though, including avvies, which anyone is welcome to use, and Deiji's long overdue Character description. Hooray.

Thanks for reading and, as always, constructive compliments are welcome.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

I see that you put a lot of work in the comic. How long does it take for you to do one anyway?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Guyinthestreet: On average between 3-5 hours per page on the art, though if I have to draw new settings, characters, or effects, like in #11-13, it can take up to 8 hours while I try to choose things like color scheme and light sources, and figure out how to make photoshop do what I want. As for dialogue and storyboarding, I usually spend about an hour or two for a batch of around 6 pages.

So about 5-10 hours, on average, per update. Obviusly some, such as #13 can take longer due to details and the like.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

#15: Walkabout (sans Jenny Agutter)
    Spoiler
    Show

I know it's later than I said, but stuff came up and had to be beaten back down.
    Anyways, enjoy and thanks for reading.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

#16: E-Z Solutions
    Spoiler
    Show

So I've been sick all week, and just now starting to get better, hence why no comic for a long time. So long I went to the second page, actually. Kind of sad.

Anyways, enjoy.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

#17: Shock Troops
    Spoiler
    Show

Ooo, lookie, another one.
    These two are short so I don't mind putting them up on the same day.
    Last edited by BooTheHamster; 2008-07-07 at 01:07 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

The Master? It's a cool name and all, but either ripped off or cliche by now.
    Your comic is still awesome though.

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the compliment. I wasn't sure anyone was still reading.

I know the name is overused but it serves as an easy introduction. It's titular, really; he's just called Master in a dojo or Jedi way. He has a real name, but I'm saving it in case he needs the extra hit points .

17. - Top - End - #47

Ugh I was supposed to post in this thread long time ago but I seems to have forgotten it.
    Anyway I really like this comic and I'm all for cliche villian names.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

#18: Without A Trace
    Spoiler
    Show

Here's another update. I'm playing catch up for the missed week. Expect 2 more before the week is out, and that'll be the end of the Chapter. Then the fun begins.

Enjoy.

19. - Top - End - #49

Well I'm just glad that you continues to post this comic.
    Keep the good work up, then you make thake a break.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, this is pretty cool stuff. I rather like the art style, it is simple but effective (Albeit perhaps not very emotive). The characters and story show good potential to get pretty interesting, plus there is a little funny thrown in on the side. I will try and remember to check up on this, see how it develops.

Though, I would say the style of this does not mesh well with the webcomic medium. I mean like, in a graphic novel or something, it is fine if you have a page or two of someone flipping or expressions or what have you, but in a webcomic updating a page at a time, I could see that getting potentially frustrating (The same thing that Erfworld suffers a bit from). Obviously you can do what you want, but it might just be something to keep in mind.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghastly Epigram View Post
    Though, I would say the style of this does not mesh well with the webcomic medium. I mean like, in a graphic novel or something, it is fine if you have a page or two of someone flipping or expressions or what have you, but in a webcomic updating a page at a time, I could see that getting potentially frustrating (The same thing that Erfworld suffers a bit from). Obviously you can do what you want, but it might just be something to keep in mind.
    I agree. I've been trying to counteract this by updating multiple pages at once if there's not going to be much dialogue or something. Sometimes it's not possible, certainly, but whenever I can, I'll do action sequences and whatnot in one big update chunk. Hopefully that'll minimize the frustration with those types of pages.

The flipping one was done just for the sake of it being cool...

PS: UPDATE
    #19: Turn Around (Bright Eyes)
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BooTheHamster View Post
    Thanks for the compliment. I wasn't sure anyone was still reading.

I know the name is overused but it serves as an easy introduction. It's titular, really; he's just called Master in a dojo or Jedi way. He has a real name, but I'm saving it in case he needs the extra hit points .
    There are people reading (this and Population: Zero), actually. They just don't comment much. Like me, for instance.
    Last edited by Guyinthestreet; 2008-07-10 at 09:08 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So, the protagonist is isolated and trapped by an evil orginization of DOOM.

This could go any of a thousand ways, but only fourteen of them involve monkeys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

#20: End of the Beginning
    Spoiler
    Show

The END.

Chapter 2 begins shortly.

Enjoy and thanks for reading.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Two things:

First thing-
    Chapter 2
    #21: Prisoner's Dilemma
    Spoiler
    Show

Second Thing:
    Claire 2.0

Explanations:
    1) I wanted to wait until I had a title page to start Chapter 2, and I was going to do an intermission between chapters, but since the forums were down that wasn't possible, so we're starting with this little scene in the baddy's dungeon.

2) This is a little something that some call an art upgrade. I decided to go ahead and do it because of the comments about the lack of emotionality, so I modified the style so to make it a bit more detailed. The reason I'm showing this to you now, rather than just doing it in-comic as a surprise is because I wanted to get people's opinions on the change, especially on the colors. If you'll notice, the colors on Claire 2.0 are different from the original, by a bit, and I was wondering if it improved the art or not. Anyways, thoughts on this?
    Last edited by BooTheHamster; 2008-07-20 at 04:53 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

#22: Just Like My Bank...
    Spoiler
    Show

Yay...

Ok, so no comments on the upcoming art change... can I assume everybody liked it?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nobody dislikes better art. I certainly like the improvement.

However, the trick is to find a happy medium between time used and quality, so as long as an art update doesn't hurt a regular schedule, it is definitely a good thing.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm still reading and I think the Master is great, along with that art change for the girl, Claire I think...

Awards/Trophies/Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Bravo Szilard. Bravo!
    Szilard is wise.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

The update shouldn't change the update schedule any since it's just a few minor differences. At most, it'll force me to stick to my schedule of once a week instead of 'more when possible'...

Anyways, I just thought I'm mention the Chapter 2 title page. I put it up a few days ago and didn't mention it, but since it's also a way to show off Izzy 2.0, I figure I'll do so now.

Anyways, new update by this weekend. I have family over which is why it's not up today...

30. - Top - End - #60

Love the new art, eagerly awaiting the next update. How did this get onto the second page, behind comics that have been dead for months? Back you go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Just checking... you do realize that when someone puts a funny hat on, they don't instantly split into two separate people, right?