New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

eek Re: Setting Up A Custom Avatar

Apologies.

I currently have an avatar that may be a violation of the rules; my apologies if that is the case.

The primary reasons I haven't taken it down (to be safe) are two-fold: one, I'm currently kind of stupid and can't figure it out (and currently am out of time (I'm an hour and fifteen twenty minutes late getting my kids to bed); and two I'm not entirely certain it runs afoul of the rules... but only because I've never had a problem with it in the past (it definitely seems like it is, based off of a reading of the rules, which is why I'm asking).

I didn't create it - I was kind of surprised at the method the site required, but I found it easily enough by searching and linking it. The reason I'm uncertain is just that the image is so ubiquitous. I've used it in numerous other forums as my avatar. Again: I've no problem abiding by the rules. I have two children literally bouncing off of me and the walls (not literally for emphasis - literally for literal realsies) that need to go to bed - it makes typing and focus hard, and I can't find how to edit my avatar in my "profile" selection section.

If you'd like, just tell me how and I'd be glad to remove it, or feel free to do it yourself - I don't mind.

The image is taken from a 1995 video game created by someone else that I own no rights to. The link is someone else's website that I found by a Google search. That seems like it violates the rules.
    (For the record, I didn't realize the rules were as exhaustive as they were; when I agreed that I'd read the rules, I really thought I'd done so, due to labeling of the subsection and the lack of any apparent link to the larger rules section (or at least, not one that I noticed at the time). Now that I actually have read the larger rules post, I'm attempting to make things right and actually abide by both spirit and letter - which is why I'm posting here and asking questions rather than trying to slip under the radar. I'm very sorry I made such a mess so quickly. Blech.)
    The Lord of all loves you: yes, you, specifically. Trust in Him: I look forward to seeing you there!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Setting Up A Custom Avatar

Thank you

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Where can I find the rules? The link in OP's post leads to something saying I don't have permissions to be there.
    Last edited by Dappershire; 2017-05-04 at 05:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dappershire View Post
    Where can I find the rules? The link in OP's post leads to something saying I don't have permissions to be there.
    There is a yellow ribbon at the top of every page with the text "Welcome back! Be sure you have read and understand the Forum Rules." linking to the current version of the rules.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    There is a yellow ribbon at the top of every page with the text "Welcome back! Be sure you have read and understand the Forum Rules." linking to the current version of the rules.

GW
    (emphasis added in case it's tl;dr)

I may have the same question as Dappershire, but I'm not sure since it seems kinda ambiguous.

The link* in the first post's second sentence ("It is suggested you read over the avatar and signature rules before you get started so that you don't run into any problems later.") doesn't actually go to avatar/signature rules. (At least for me, it doesn't.) It goes to a page that starts with "arimareiji, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

Thank you for your time.

* - My apologies, I had to strip all URLs from this post to create it. I underlined and blued the link for emphasis.
    Edit: Rephrasing for clarity
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2017-07-05 at 10:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    (emphasis added in case it's tl;dr)

I may have the same question as Dappershire, but I'm not sure since it seems kinda ambiguous.

The link* in the first post's second sentence ("It is suggested you read over the avatar and signature rules before you get started so that you don't run into any problems later.") doesn't actually go to avatar/signature rules. (At least for me, it doesn't.) It goes to a page that starts with "arimareiji, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

Thank you for your time.

* - My apologies, I had to strip all URLs from this post to create it. I underlined and blued the link for emphasis.
    Edit: Rephrasing for clarity
    Yes, the avatar rules were merged with the general rules ages ago. You can find the avatar rules in the link I gave, and just scroll down to or search for "Avatar & Signature Rules". The "you do not have permission" error means the original post was moved to the mod-only area of the forums (which is how they "delete" old posts).

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

All the image links in the first post of this thread appear to be broken.

Also, I think the instructions are out of date due to some changes in how the forum is formatted. For example, there appears to be no "edit options" item in the "settings and options" list.
    Awesome Edward Elric avatar by gurgleflep!
    Let's Watch Steins;Gate!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Firbolg in the Playground

It seems that my avatar has an issue, just like the one belonging to the poster above me. I however can't quite figure out what the issue is. Could someone help me with this?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchel View Post
    It seems that my avatar has an issue, just like the one belonging to the poster above me. I however can't quite figure out what the issue is. Could someone help me with this?
    It's that Photobucket doesn't allow image linking on other sites unless you pay for their premium membership. So, unless you pay that, you'll need to look elsewhere for image hosting.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    It's that Photobucket doesn't allow image linking on other sites unless you pay for their premium membership. So, unless you pay that, you'll need to look elsewhere for image hosting.
    Thanks a lot! I decided to put it elsewhere, because I'm not going to pay just to be able to use my avatar.

11. - Top - End - #191

There is a of of blank space under my avatar image, and it is not part of the image. Is this normal?

EDIT: I changed it for an image with more space on top for a temporary fix, but here is the original appearance for reference.

Last edited by Wristlet Eater; 2017-08-06 at 11:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wristlet Eater View Post
    There is a of of blank space under my avatar image, and it is not part of the image. Is this normal?
    Yes. The avatar picture slot is a set size - it doesn't resize. If your avatar is smaller than the slot, there will be space under it.

GW

13. - Top - End - #193
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Yes. The avatar picture slot is a set size - it doesn't resize. If your avatar is smaller than the slot, there will be space under it.

GW
    Hmm, browser support for max-width and max-height is prevalent enough that I could probably change that now...

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Blah... I seem to be a complete idiot... I've gone through all the steps to set my avatar (which worked perfectly fine before photobucket changed their polocies) and now that i'm using Imgur it keeps telling me I've entered the Url wrong. I've used the BBCode link, the Linked BBCode link and Direct Link but in all three situations all I get is a little dialogue box that says "You did not enter the correct format for the Custom Avatar URL field. Please read the field description for the expected format."

I've used the Linked BBCode link for my signature and as you can see, it works fine, so why can't I get my Avatar to work?

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    Blah... I seem to be a complete idiot... I've gone through all the steps to set my avatar (which worked perfectly fine before photobucket changed their polocies) and now that i'm using Imgur it keeps telling me I've entered the Url wrong. I've used the BBCode link, the Linked BBCode link and Direct Link but in all three situations all I get is a little dialogue box that says "You did not enter the correct format for the Custom Avatar URL field. Please read the field description for the expected format."

I've used the Linked BBCode link for my signature and as you can see, it works fine, so why can't I get my Avatar to work?
    My first guess would be that there is some character in the URL that gitp is not liking. Can you post all three links so we can take a look at them?

GW

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

My first guess would be that there is some character in the URL that gitp is not liking. Can you post all three links so we can take a look at them?

GW
    Okay, so here we go

BBCode Link: [img]https: //i.imgur.com/dY4CAaC.png[/img] (manually inputted space between the https: and the double backslash)

Linked BBCode: [img]http: //i.imgur.com/dY4CAaC.png[/img] (once again, manually inputted space between the https: and double backslashes on both sets)

Direct Link: https: //imgur.com/dY4CAaC (Second verse same as the first)

Hope this helps in finding the problem.

Hmmm... The Linked BBCode is only showing half the code, it's missing the part of the code.
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2018-01-28 at 08:16 PM.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    Okay, so here we go

BBCode Link: [img]https: //i.imgur.com/dY4CAaC.png[/img] (manually inputted space between the https: and the double backslash)

Linked BBCode: [img]http: //i.imgur.com/dY4CAaC.png[/img] (once again, manually inputted space between the https: and double backslashes on both sets)

Direct Link: https: //imgur.com/dY4CAaC (Second verse same as the first)

Hope this helps in finding the problem.

Hmmm... The Linked BBCode is only showing half the code, it's missing the part of the code.
    Try putting it without the s in https: i.e. use http://i.imgur.com/dY4CAaC.png

Don't put any tags, no square brackets. Just the URL.

I tried it, and had no issue with the avatar showing up.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-01-28 at 08:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Try putting it without the s in https: i.e. use http://i.imgur.com/dY4CAaC.png

Don't put any tags, no square brackets. Just the URL.

I tried it, and had no issue with the avatar showing up.

GW
    WOO!!! Peeking Nialise is back!!!

Thankyou heaps for that GW!!!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Good job, GW!
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

So i got the site to accept my avatar but now its blank.

what's wrong?

the website to the image is here ://strett0.deviantart.com/art/my-Giant-in-the-Playground-avatar-734490814

you have to add https to the front cuz i dont have enough posts to put website links yet

21. - Top - End - #201
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by strett0 View Post
    So i got the site to accept my avatar but now its blank.

what's wrong?

the website to the image is here ://strett0.deviantart.com/art/my-Giant-in-the-Playground-avatar-734490814

you have to add https to the front cuz i dont have enough posts to put website links yet
    It looks like you're linking to the web page, not to the image. If you're using Chrome, right click on the image and select "Copy Image Address", and use that, rather than the web page.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground

Thanks! i didnt know that need to be done. but i think that the URL is too long. i paste it in and i can't add .png to end

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

i figured it out. the title was too long, so i edited the post's title to be shorter, and that fixed it.

thank you so much!!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I've made a custom stickitar in Paint for Windows 10, and despite my amateur attempt, I'd like to use it for my avatar. I can upload it just fine... Except I can't figure out how to make it have a transparent background. How do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    So, I've made a custom stickitar in Paint for Windows 10, and despite my amateur attempt, I'd like to use it for my avatar. I can upload it just fine... Except I can't figure out how to make it have a transparent background. How do?
    Will depend on what program you are using. There'll probably be a way to select a colour (such as the background) and the "delete it" so that it looks like a checkered board - that'll be transparent.

GW

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Will depend on what program you are using. There'll probably be a way to select a colour (such as the background) and the "delete it" so that it looks like a checkered board - that'll be transparent.

GW
    Paint, the default kind that comes with every Windows ever; mine is Windows 10. I had everything checked out for transparent background and such, but upon loading it into imgur, it proved to keep the "blank" background as white, despite using free-select and such. It proved to do the same in my image viewer, so I'm clearly doing something wrong.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2018-03-13 at 02:02 PM.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Paint, the default kind that comes with every Windows ever; mine is Windows 10. I had everything checked out for transparent background and such, but upon loading it into imgur, it proved to keep the "blank" background as white, despite using free-select and such. It proved to do the same in my image viewer, so I'm clearly doing something wrong.
    In paint, you need to use the "transparent selection" option in the select drop down. I think this is a decent article explaining how.

Yours,

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

In paint, you need to use the "transparent selection" option in the select drop down. I think this is a decent article explaining how.

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Huh, I would not have expected PowerPoint being part of the solution, but I'll give that a shot the next chance I get. Thanks!

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

You can easily make any image background transparent, also check this article for explanation about how to do that, https://youprogrammer.com/how-to-mak...rent-in-paint/

30. - Top - End - #210
    Halfling in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Setting Up A Custom Avatar

so i setup my avatar drawing on Imageshack, but it wont let me upload it even though its the correct sizing and the link is the correct format. also these instructions make no sense be cause there is no option in the settings under miscellaneous, there is however an option URL for custom avatars in the General settings, but there is no option for entering the size of the image please help.
    Last edited by Thurulian; 2018-04-23 at 11:56 AM.