Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Pixie in the Playground

eek Re: Setting Up A Custom Avatar

Apologies.

I currently have an avatar that may be a violation of the rules; my apologies if that is the case.

The primary reasons I haven't taken it down (to be safe) are two-fold: one, I'm currently kind of stupid and can't figure it out (and currently am out of time (I'm an hour and fifteen twenty minutes late getting my kids to bed); and two I'm not entirely certain it runs afoul of the rules... but only because I've never had a problem with it in the past (it definitely seems like it is, based off of a reading of the rules, which is why I'm asking).

I didn't create it - I was kind of surprised at the method the site required, but I found it easily enough by searching and linking it. The reason I'm uncertain is just that the image is so ubiquitous. I've used it in numerous other forums as my avatar. Again: I've no problem abiding by the rules. I have two children literally bouncing off of me and the walls (not literally for emphasis - literally for literal realsies) that need to go to bed - it makes typing and focus hard, and I can't find how to edit my avatar in my "profile" selection section.

If you'd like, just tell me how and I'd be glad to remove it, or feel free to do it yourself - I don't mind.

The image is taken from a 1995 video game created by someone else that I own no rights to. The link is someone else's website that I found by a Google search. That seems like it violates the rules.
    (For the record, I didn't realize the rules were as exhaustive as they were; when I agreed that I'd read the rules, I really thought I'd done so, due to labeling of the subsection and the lack of any apparent link to the larger rules section (or at least, not one that I noticed at the time). Now that I actually have read the larger rules post, I'm attempting to make things right and actually abide by both spirit and letter - which is why I'm posting here and asking questions rather than trying to slip under the radar. I'm very sorry I made such a mess so quickly. Blech.)
    The Lord of all loves you: yes, you, specifically. Trust in Him: I look forward to seeing you there!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Setting Up A Custom Avatar

Thank you

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Where can I find the rules? The link in OP's post leads to something saying I don't have permissions to be there.
    Last edited by Dappershire; 2017-05-04 at 05:37 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dappershire View Post
    Where can I find the rules? The link in OP's post leads to something saying I don't have permissions to be there.
    There is a yellow ribbon at the top of every page with the text "Welcome back! Be sure you have read and understand the Forum Rules." linking to the current version of the rules.

GW
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant & Yendor View Post
    GIANT IN THE PLAYGROUND: On a saner forum,
    there wouldn't have been such speculation.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    Scientia est similis fluminis te capere non possunt in perpetuum
    (Knowledge, like a river, cannot be constrained forever)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    There is a yellow ribbon at the top of every page with the text "Welcome back! Be sure you have read and understand the Forum Rules." linking to the current version of the rules.

GW
    (emphasis added in case it's tl;dr)

I may have the same question as Dappershire, but I'm not sure since it seems kinda ambiguous.

The link* in the first post's second sentence ("It is suggested you read over the avatar and signature rules before you get started so that you don't run into any problems later.") doesn't actually go to avatar/signature rules. (At least for me, it doesn't.) It goes to a page that starts with "arimareiji, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

Thank you for your time.

* - My apologies, I had to strip all URLs from this post to create it. I underlined and blued the link for emphasis.
    Edit: Rephrasing for clarity
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2017-07-05 at 10:35 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    (emphasis added in case it's tl;dr)

I may have the same question as Dappershire, but I'm not sure since it seems kinda ambiguous.

The link* in the first post's second sentence ("It is suggested you read over the avatar and signature rules before you get started so that you don't run into any problems later.") doesn't actually go to avatar/signature rules. (At least for me, it doesn't.) It goes to a page that starts with "arimareiji, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

Thank you for your time.

* - My apologies, I had to strip all URLs from this post to create it. I underlined and blued the link for emphasis.
    Edit: Rephrasing for clarity
    Yes, the avatar rules were merged with the general rules ages ago. You can find the avatar rules in the link I gave, and just scroll down to or search for "Avatar & Signature Rules". The "you do not have permission" error means the original post was moved to the mod-only area of the forums (which is how they "delete" old posts).

GW
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

All the image links in the first post of this thread appear to be broken.

Also, I think the instructions are out of date due to some changes in how the forum is formatted. For example, there appears to be no "edit options" item in the "settings and options" list.
    Awesome Edward Elric avatar by gurgleflep!
    Let's Watch Steins;Gate!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

It seems that my avatar has an issue, just like the one belonging to the poster above me. I however can't quite figure out what the issue is. Could someone help me with this?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raunchel View Post
    It seems that my avatar has an issue, just like the one belonging to the poster above me. I however can't quite figure out what the issue is. Could someone help me with this?
    It's that Photobucket doesn't allow image linking on other sites unless you pay for their premium membership. So, unless you pay that, you'll need to look elsewhere for image hosting.
    Are you a PTU fan who likes play by post? Well, we've now made a forum specifically for you. Come check it out, and join the community!

List of Magic Items. Only Mostly Useless...

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    It's that Photobucket doesn't allow image linking on other sites unless you pay for their premium membership. So, unless you pay that, you'll need to look elsewhere for image hosting.
    Thanks a lot! I decided to put it elsewhere, because I'm not going to pay just to be able to use my avatar.

11. - Top - End - #191

There is a of of blank space under my avatar image, and it is not part of the image. Is this normal?

EDIT: I changed it for an image with more space on top for a temporary fix, but here is the original appearance for reference.

Last edited by Wristlet Eater; 2017-08-06 at 11:24 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wristlet Eater View Post
    There is a of of blank space under my avatar image, and it is not part of the image. Is this normal?
    Yes. The avatar picture slot is a set size - it doesn't resize. If your avatar is smaller than the slot, there will be space under it.

GW
    My Motto:
    Forum Motto:

13. - Top - End - #193
    Lost in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yes. The avatar picture slot is a set size - it doesn't resize. If your avatar is smaller than the slot, there will be space under it.

GW
    Hmm, browser support for max-width and max-height is prevalent enough that I could probably change that now...

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak