New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Setting Up A Custom Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thurulian View Post
    so i setup my avatar drawing on Imageshack but it wont let me upload it even though its the correct sizing and the link is the correct format. also these instructions make no sense be cause there is no option in the settings under miscellaneous there is an option URL for custom avatars in the General settings, but there is no option for entering the size of the image please help
    Please post the url you are attempting to use.

Also, please consider using punctuation. I am not having an easy time reading your post.

The instructions are a bit out of date. The forum no longer resizes the image, so there is no need to state the dimensions. If the image is too large, it will simply be cropped.

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #212
    Halfling in the Playground

Post Re: Setting Up A Custom Avatar

( https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/hkvNOd.png ) This is the link i have been attempting to use, it just keeps telling me that i am entering the wrong format. (Also i apologize for my punctuation before.)
    Last edited by Thurulian; 2018-04-23 at 01:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

( https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/hkvNOd.png ) This is the link i have been attempting to use, it just keeps telling me that i am entering the wrong format.
    You can't use https for your avatar. From the instructions under the field:
    "The URL must start with http://"

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we can simply drop the s in this case. Does image shack provide a different non-http link to the picture?

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

4. - Top - End - #214

Question Re: Setting Up A Custom Avatar

It seems as though image shack does not have any other link formats. If anyone knows a different site that will work please let me know, or if there is a way to directly upload the image from my desktop. thank you :)

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

It seems as though image shack does not have any other link formats. If anyone knows a different site that will work please let me know, or if there is a way to directly upload the image from my desktop. thank you :)
    I use tinypic.com.

Yours,

Grey Wolf

6. - Top - End - #216

I tried that and it blocked my IP Address saying that i "violated the terms of use" or something but i didnt do anything except upload my image.... it sucks because i designed a cool avatar and i just cant find a way to upload it

7. - Top - End - #217

Looks as though i have to make a Yahoo mail account to be able to use it... not sure why it wont accept my Gmail account, but ill just have to figure it out later

-PS Thank you for all your helpful info Greywolf

- Thurulian

8. - Top - End - #218

Hey so i found a hosting site that works, it gives me a http:// URL but its too long for the custom avatar box so the .PNG doesnt fit... any chance there is a way to fix that?

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

so i setup my avatar drawing on Imageshack, but it wont let me upload it even though its the correct sizing and the link is the correct format. also these instructions make no sense be cause there is no option in the settings under miscellaneous, there is however an option URL for custom avatars in the General settings, but there is no option for entering the size of the image please help.
    Are you using the direct link? Open the link, click on the image until the page stops changing and then right click on the image and pick something like "copy image address".

Many hosting sites prefer as the standard provide a link to a page where you can view the image or a picture-link combination, because their revenue comes from people visiting their site and seeing their ads. If you want to like just the picture, for instance as an avatar, you need the direct link. It's often the second or third option in the list of links you get after uploading.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

10. - Top - End - #220

Exclamation Re: Setting Up A Custom Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Are you using the direct link? Open the link, click on the image until the page stops changing and then right click on the image and pick something like "copy image address".

Many hosting sites prefer as the standard provide a link to a page where you can view the image or a picture-link combination, because their revenue comes from people visiting their site and seeing their ads. If you want to like just the picture, for instance as an avatar, you need the direct link. It's often the second or third option in the list of links you get after uploading.

i have been using the direct link but the URL was HTTPS and not HTTP which made it unable to upload. Then to top it off i finally find a site with the right URL and its too long to use

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey so i found a hosting site that works, it gives me a http:// URL but its too long for the custom avatar box so the .PNG doesnt fit... any chance there is a way to fix that?
    Could you perhaps change the filename so that it was 4 characters shorter? Or if you're using multiple folders, move the image up a level or two.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

12. - Top - End - #222

annoyed Re: Setting Up A Custom Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    Could you perhaps change the filename so that it was 4 characters shorter? Or if you're using multiple folders, move the image up a level or two.
    So i tried that and the link is still too big.

http://village.photos/images/user/88...1155b5b90d.PNG

Im not sure what to do im pretty much ready to give up on trying to add a custom avatar, cause of how much of a hassle it is.

13. - Top - End - #223

So i tried that and the link is still too big.

http://village.photos/images/user/88...1155b5b90d.PNG

Im not sure what to do im pretty much ready to give up on trying to add a custom avatar, cause of how much of a hassle it is.

Edit- I was able to copy it from my own post and it seemed to work, but now it doesn't show up this is really annoying i hope there is some way to get it to work.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

The URL in your avatar includes the "..." that's displayed. So that's why it doesn't display.

The filename itself is "0aacacde-fcb3-4d2f-bb1d-e11155b5b90d.PNG". Do you have control over that, or does village.photos control the filename?
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

15. - Top - End - #225

The URL in your avatar includes the "..." that's displayed. So that's why it doesn't display.

The filename itself is "0aacacde-fcb3-4d2f-bb1d-e11155b5b90d.PNG". Do you have control over that, or does village.photos control the filename?
    They control the file name so i cant change it sadly, if there is another option i would love to know i really wanna use my art.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

One site I recall seeing suggested in the past is Imgur. You could give them a try.
    John Ling

17. - Top - End - #227

One site I recall seeing suggested in the past is Imgur. You could give them a try.
    Thanks. Hopefully it works

18. - Top - End - #228

Thanks. Hopefully it works
    ( https://i.imgur.com/Z5PT1LG.png ) This is the link it gave me and it doesnt work because they use the HTTPS// URL i need HTTP// otherwise the forum wont accept my avatar link

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

( https://i.imgur.com/Z5PT1LG.png ) This is the link it gave me and it doesnt work because they use the HTTPS// URL i need HTTP// otherwise the forum wont accept my avatar link
    Yes, but in imgur's case, you can simply knock of the s and still get a valid link: just use this link for your avatar picture:
    http://i.imgur.com/Z5PT1LG.png

Grey Wolf

20. - Top - End - #230

Im starting to get a little frustrated, it seems to be impossible to get this to work no matter what i do. Hopefully i can find something but ive been trying for a long time now and im just about ready to give up on it.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Im starting to get a little frustrated, it seems to be impossible to get this to work no matter what i do. Hopefully i can find something but ive been trying for a long time now and im just about ready to give up on it.
    My suggestion works - just tried it on my own avatar. You may want to turn the white background transparent, BTW.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-04-27 at 10:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yes, but in imgur's case, you can simply knock of the s and still get a valid link: just use this link for your avatar picture:
    http://i.imgur.com/Z5PT1LG.png

Grey Wolf
    Thank you Grey wolf i was unaware you could edit the URL in that way. i apologize for bothering everyone for so long on this topic

Thanks again

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Congrats on getting it resolved, Thurulian.
    John Ling

24. - Top - End - #234

Congrats on getting it resolved, Thurulian.
    Thank you, i really appreciate everyone's help. hopefully this helps anyone else who has this issue

25. - Top - End - #235
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Let us hope it does.
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Hi nice mods,

Sabrina can't change her avatar there is literally no button to edit it. Am I blocked forever from having a cute avatar pic?

27. - Top - End - #237
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Go to Settings in the upper right corner of the website; it should say "Welcome, sneakykitten", the Notifications, My Profile, then Settings.

Go to General Settings, which will be in the left side of the white space, under My Settings.

Scroll to the bottom of the page. That will have the options for Avatar. Set to Custom, then put the URL of your custom avatar image in there.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

I pasted the URL into the custom avatar field and it doesn't work. It says I don't have the right formatting and all my extra fields are cut off on my screen so I cannot even see... what I am entering LOL. :P

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sneakykitten View Post
    I pasted the URL into the custom avatar field and it doesn't work. It says I don't have the right formatting and all my extra fields are cut off on my screen so I cannot even see... what I am entering LOL. :P
    Please post the url you are trying to use. Hard to determine what might be wrong without it.

GW

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl