New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Setting Up A Custom Avatar

The issue is that urls must be http, not https. Remove the s, and you should be fine. Also, make sure it's the .png or whatever format the avatar is in url, not just the general link.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2018-05-12 at 09:01 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Now it worked thanks. <3 LOL it's too big got to make it smaller. Now it keeps saying the format is wrong even when I remove the 's' I give up. Well I know I don't need an avatar but I would like one and if anyone knows how to resolve this problem do tell. I'll keep trying I guess?

I'm now using that URL: http://i.imgur.com/xBwZAmC.jpg

The pixels are 100x100 and I took out the 's' as you can see but it keeps telling me it's the wrong format. I don't want an ugly, 'This image is gone,' as my avatar forever.
    Last edited by sneakykitten; 2018-05-13 at 03:01 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sneakykitten View Post
    Now it worked thanks. <3 LOL it's too big got to make it smaller. Now it keeps saying the format is wrong even when I remove the 's' I give up. Well I know I don't need an avatar but I would like one and if anyone knows how to resolve this problem do tell. I'll keep trying I guess?

I'm now using that URL: http://i.imgur.com/xBwZAmC.jpg

The pixels are 100x100 and I took out the 's' as you can see but it keeps telling me it's the wrong format. I don't want an ugly, 'This image is gone,' as my avatar forever.
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure what the problem is. I have had no problem using it as my avatar. I pasted that exact URL into the custom avatar spot and gave me no error messages.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-05-13 at 06:54 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Great. Well it worked the first time and won't work anymore. Do I have to get rid of my old avatar before I have a new one maybe? Aw, now I'm gonna be sad the entire time I use this website.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sneakykitten View Post
    Great. Well it worked the first time and won't work anymore. Do I have to get rid of my old avatar before I have a new one maybe? Aw, now I'm gonna be sad the entire time I use this website.
    Yes, you cannot have two avatars at once. Are you trying to put the new URL without removing the old one? What exactly does it say in your custom avatar URL space when you get the error message?

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-05-14 at 09:35 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Yes, I was trying to use a new URL without removing the old one I think. And the custom avatar field is cut off on my screen so I can't see what I'm entering. The message I get is, "You are not using the correct format."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

I really don't want to create another on-line account. I just have YouTube. I'm not wanting to create a photobucket (or the "image" one) account just to upload my PokéTriforce image ( https://yt3.ggpht.com/-hc94baz1KkY/A...ffff/photo.jpg ). Unfortunately, the address is too long; so it ends with "c0xffffff/ph" (7 symbols shy). Is there some other way?
    End of line.

I am not a bot...really. I just sound like the Master Control Program that should be in charge of everything.

End of line.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PokéTriforce View Post
    I really don't want to create another on-line account. I just have YouTube. I'm not wanting to create a photobucket (or the "image" one) account just to upload my PokéTriforce image ( https://yt3.ggpht.com/-hc94baz1KkY/A...ffff/photo.jpg ). Unfortunately, the address is too long; so it ends with "c0xffffff/ph" (7 symbols shy). Is there some other way?
    Tinypic does not require an account.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-05-31 at 07:20 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Tinypic does not require an account.

GW
    Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU! That was a MAJOR help! Thanks!
    End of line.

I am not a bot...really. I just sound like the Master Control Program that should be in charge of everything.

End of line.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGirl

Dear mods who helped,

I figured out the problem with the custom avatar. I just had to shrink my screen and now all fields like display right. Thank you for trying to help a computer illiterate girl. :)

~ sneakykitten

11. - Top - End - #251
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Avatar bug

So its letting me have my avatar but every once and a while it just doesnt display and ive noticed it happening to others in the forum as well. I'm curious if something about the formatting was changed so that certain avatars are no longer supported because its not happening to everyone and i can fix it by re entering my avatars URL and the saving the changes but it keeps happening again after a while.

Its not a huge issue just thought i would mention it to see if its something that actually requires attention or if its just an issue on my end.
    Last edited by Thurulian; 2018-07-05 at 12:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar bug

Quote Originally Posted by Thurulian View Post
    So its letting me have my avatar but every once and a while it just doesnt display and ive noticed it happening to others in the forum as well. I'm curious if something about the formatting was changed so that certain avatars are no longer supported because its not happening to everyone and i can fix it by re entering my avatars URL and the saving the changes but it keeps happening again after a while.

Its not a huge issue just thought i would mention it to see if its something that actually requires attention or if its just an issue on my end.
    It's an imgur issue. See here and here for details.

Grey Wolf

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It's an imgur issue. See here and here for details.

Grey Wolf
    :) i managed to fix it by opening it in a new tab and re hotlinking it :) your always so helpful thank you Grey_Wolf <3

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

:) i managed to fix it by opening it in a new tab and re hotlinking it :) your always so helpful thank you Grey_Wolf <3
    That does not fix it. All that does is make it show up for you, because your image is now in your cache, so it does not have to request it from imgur (which has blocked requests from this forum). Nobody else will see your avatar. If you clear your cache, it will no longer show up for you.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    That does not fix it. All that does is make it show up for you, because your image is now in your cache, so it does not have to request it from imgur (which has blocked requests from this forum). Nobody else will see your avatar. If you clear your cache, it will no longer show up for you.
    oh well thats saddening i guess i need to find another hosting site but there is almost none that work for this forum.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Let's see if my avatar shows up...
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
    Let's see if my avatar shows up...

It does, may i ask what hosting site you use?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

It does, may i ask what hosting site you use?
    Photobucket. You can tell by right-clicking the image, selecting "open image in a new tab" and then reading the address

( http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/a...darkwizard.png , in this case)

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-07-06 at 01:33 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259

so i cant figure out whats wrong with my link because it has all the right information but its still giving me the "incorrect format" message

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...pszehniwyu.png

(EDIT so apperantly the link is broken but when i copy paste it into my browser it works fine.)
    Last edited by Thurulian; 2018-07-09 at 10:39 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

so i cant figure out whats wrong with my link because it has all the right information but its still giving me the "incorrect format" message

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...pszehniwyu.png

(EDIT so apperantly the link is broken but when i copy paste it into my browser it works fine.)
    My first guess would be the spaces in the name. Try renaming it to "thurulian_the_conquerer".

My second guess would be excessive number of characters - which in this case you could address by changing the name to something like "avatar".

Grey Wolf

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

So my avatar isn't showing anymore, and I can't figure out how to change it. I've gone to "settings" but the only section in "Miscellaneous" is "Attachment" and it just says I have no attachments. I can't figure out where to set my avatar anymore, I tried every section of the Settings page :S What am I missing?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    So my avatar isn't showing anymore, and I can't figure out how to change it. I've gone to "settings" but the only section in "Miscellaneous" is "Attachment" and it just says I have no attachments. I can't figure out where to set my avatar anymore, I tried every section of the Settings page :S What am I missing?
    You'll want Settings > General Settings > Bottom of the Page. And you'll also need to host it somewhere other than imgur, in case you hadn't heard, because it's against their TOS to put avatars on there (which is why they've blocked GitP).

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    You'll want Settings > General Settings > Bottom of the Page. And you'll also need to host it somewhere other than imgur, in case you hadn't heard, because it's against their TOS to put avatars on there (which is why they've blocked GitP).
    Thanks! For some reason I thought it was supposed to be under "Miscellaneous" in the left bar, and I guess I missed that section when I went through the rest of the pages. Should be fixed now, hopefully! (I did know about imgur, but thanks for mentioning it!)

24. - Top - End - #264
    Pixie in the Playground

I’m also trying to switch my avatar, but I can’t find this “general settings” link. Can you provide more details?

I’m new to this site, so if I’m doing anything wrong, please give me a pointer.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya101 View Post
    I’m also trying to switch my avatar, but I can’t find this “general settings” link. Can you provide more details?

I’m new to this site, so if I’m doing anything wrong, please give me a pointer.
    Go to "Settings" on the top right of every page of the forums (between "My Profile" and "Log Out").

In the settings page, there will be a set of three sidebars: "My Messages" at the top, "My Subscriptions" in the middle, and "My Settings" at the bottom. In the My Settings sidebar, click the General Settings under the subsection "My Account". Scroll all the way to the bottom for the avatar options.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-09-04 at 10:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    So...is that TinyURL site (or whatever it is) part of the "imgur" thing? Last Friday, my avatar was just fine. When did this whole issue start? Does anyone think we'll ever be getting our avatars back? Like I've mentioned previously, I don't like having many on-line accounts (as I'm more of an off-line person).
    End of line.

End of line.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PokéTriforce View Post
    So...is that TinyURL site (or whatever it is) part of the "imgur" thing?
    It's tinypic (not tinyurl) and it's part of photobucket (not imgur). Unfortunately it looks like photobucket has kicked the bucket; the website is unreachable as far as I can tell.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    It's tinypic (not tinyurl) and it's part of photobucket (not imgur). Unfortunately it looks like photobucket has kicked the bucket; the website is unreachable as far as I can tell.
    Not quite. I can still get to my old free account. There is an ominous warning that my account will change on January 15 of 2019 though...
    I say we can go where we want to, a place where they will never find. And we can act like we come from out of this world, leave the real one far behind. We can dance.

The Adventures of Amber Yarrowhill, IC and OOC

In the Hands of an Angry God June 2017 - November 2018. RIP.

My Player Registry Entry

29. - Top - End - #269
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have an image here

https://i.imgur.com/Ib0yi6u.png

If I put it in, it says it is invalid, and to check the requirments, and it only talks about needing the https: amd the .png, and it has both.

Any help you lovely folks have?
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    If I put it in, it says it is invalid, and to check the requirments, and it only talks about needing the https: amd the .png, and it has both.

Any help you lovely folks have?
    It says to not have https. Try it with just http instead.

Edit: Except imgur doesn't work here anymore. The site has blocked hotlinking, at least to here. It will not display for anyone who doesn't have the image cashed elsewhere.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2019-02-03 at 01:45 AM.