New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Indiana Jones and the Fourth Movie

I haven't seen a thread for Indy 4 around here yet, so I figured I'd start one for pre-speculation and post-viewing reviews once people have seen it. (Don't forget spoiler tags!)

I've been avoiding reading much about it, myself. Partially I want to go in fresh, partially I'm just afraid of reading something bad. Indy isn't as big a Star Wars or LOTR, but still, it's a darned fun franchise (stupid dinner scene notwithstanding). I've already blogged about my own pre-movie thoughts, so for the moment here I'll just say I'm looking forward to it but trying not to hype myself up...and hoping it doesn't suck.

So what's everyone else think?

Last edited by Muz; 2008-05-19 at 09:12 PM.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Indiana Jones and the Fourth Movie

Just in case you didn't know, crystal skulls are real-life artifacts of dubious origin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm intending to wait 'til a couple of days after it comes out, though, to let the crowds bugger off. I'm thinking of having some people around to watch the first three, and then go see it

On crystal skulls, they've gotta be one of the lamer sorts of "mysterious objects", really. There's one single example that could be somehow "genuine" and mysterious, but even it has, as blak says, a dubious origin. It does look cool, though.

4. - Top - End - #4

I figure I'll have to see it this weekend or risk losing my will to avoid reviews. Plus I'm just darned curious and impatient.

I knew the crystal skulls were real, though I hadn't read about their suspected 19th-century manufacture. (I suppose that's what I get for only being exposed to them through Ripleys Believe It or Not and Stargate, huh?)

Still, better Indy fodder than sending him to the Bermuda Triangle or Loch Ness.

Coming summer 2011: Indiana Jones and the Secret of Al Capone's Vault!
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    ~ ~ ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm looking forward to the movie. I figure that it has potential to be awesome or completely suck, with little or no middleground. Indications for awesomeness are that Spielberg is directing it and John Williams is doing the music, and Shia LaBouef is generally a good actor. Of course, Last Crusade came out in '89, and 19 years is a long time to make a viable fourth movie, especially since Ford hasn't been in anything very good for a while. It's a crap shoot, I think, but I'm more than willing to roll the dice.
    Cardinal Ximinez by Mephibosheth
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisqui
    And yes, that is pretty much exactly what she meant. Don Beegles FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
    An appeal to me in this fiendish row - is there? Very well; I heard; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced

6. - Top - End - #6

Wow . . . '89? Longer than I thought.

I'm pretty excited about the movie . . . to tell the truth, though, I only just saw the first 3 for the first time this month. I thought they were really, really good though, and I'm going to see the new movie this Friday. (Guess who has off of school!!) Thank God for Memorial Day weekend.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    Still, better Indy fodder than sending him to the Bermuda Triangle or Loch Ness.

Coming summer 2011: Indiana Jones and the Secret of Al Capone's Vault!
    Hey, stick an undersea Lovecraftian temple in the middle of the Triangle and I'm in.

Seriously, a significant theme of the IJ movies has been the validation of the supernatural power inherent in the world's major religions (Judiasm, Hinduism, and Christianity respectively ). Taking on the Mayans is even a significant downgrade; it's a pity because there was apparently some psuedomysticism in the mid 20'th century bringing together the notions of ley lines and feng shui and the notion that building sites in ancient China were chosen to be centers of earth-based power. What better targets for kooky Soviet expansionists? But anyway.

Yeah, I'm scared of this film too. The Fugitive is the last role that Harrison Ford didn't phone in, and that was fifteen years ago. Is returning to his roots going to reinvigorate him or drive him deeper into his rut? Spielberg is more than capable of making great films, but is this going to be a movie or a nostalgic reminiscence of how great the action movies were in the eighties were?

8. - Top - End - #8

I do remember reading (in what I think was a Variety article) about how Spielburg wasn't wanting to use any of the more recent editing styles. I believe he was mostly referencing the quick cuts and shakey-cams that, while are theoretically designed to give a sense of urgency and action, just wind up being disorienting--if not downright irritating. I don't know if that would make it a nostalgic reminiscence, but I do look forward to seeing an action movie that allows the audience some sense of what's going on.

As for phoning it in since The Fugitive, you didn't like Clear and Present Danger or Air Force One?
    ~ ~ ~

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I have a really bad feeling this whole movie will be a jumping point for a new movie series, "Son of Indiana Jones" staring Shia Labouf. I hate that kid.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I love a good adventure movie, and since they are few and far between nowadays this has really got me stoked. I like a good surprise, and I like going in with no expectations, so I haven’t watched any movie trailers.

Yes an undersea Lovecraftian temple in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle would kick so much ass. Aside from that, I think in one of the Indiana Jones PC games they made many (Secret of Monkey island age here) moons ago he discovered the lost city of Atlantis.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I have a really bad feeling this whole movie will be a jumping point for a new movie series, "Son of Indiana Jones" staring Shia Labouf. I hate that kid.
    Wait until the Son of Indy/Transformers crossover!

Seriously, though, I think Lucas has said he's leaning in that direction. I...really don't like that idea, though I suppose I can ignore those movies if they do come out. They won't be Indiana Jones movies, though; you CAN'T do Indy without Ford. Just doesn't work.
    ~ ~ ~

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    As for phoning it in since The Fugitive, you didn't like Clear and Present Danger or Air Force One?
    I thought that Danger was a real drop-off from Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games, and honestly I didn't bother with Air Force One. He had a very long string of movies where he played Joe Everyman having to run an incredible gantlet for great justice, and to me he looked just a little bit less surprised or outraged every time it happened even when he was playing a new guy. That might be just me; I might have been getting frustrated that he was being consistent and I felt like I should be paying for something that he hasn't shown me before.

On the other hand, I DID see Hollywood Homicide on opening night and I still haven't gotten over the cruel theft of those two hours from my life. Afterwards, I recall seeing interviews that he gave in which he was unbelievably disengaged. At that point, I vowed to no longer be more excited about his movies than he was.

They won't be Indiana Jones movies, though; you CAN'T do Indy without Ford. Just doesn't work.
    Well, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles wasn't a phenomenon, but neither was it an embarrassment. It's probably like the James Bond movies after Sean Connery: you can make them and when they do it can be difficult to argue that they shouldn't have bothered even if you think the first guy was better.

13. - Top - End - #13

I for one am very excited about the movie. I love Indy movies, and Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite movie. The film was shown at Cannes yesterday to overwhelmingly positive reactions ( a lengthy standing o). I also read that Lucas may have plans for a 5th installment in the works, but has yet to run anything by Spielberg and Ford yet. I'll likely see it on Friday. I'd really like to go see it on opening night, which is Thursday, but having to be at work at 7AM isn't conducive to that.
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm definitely looking forward to it. I'm also worried of how LaBoeuf will affect the movie. I really hate wisecracking teens in my movies, so I'm hoping there won't be too much of that. If he takes a backseat to Indy and maybe pops in with a bit of heroics here and there that'll be fine with me. I sure hope they're not going to let him take over the movie just because he's a better cash cow than Ford.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

I heard that Harrison Ford's being keeping in shape for the last 20 years just on the off-chance that they might do another Indy movie. Dedication much?

16. - Top - End - #16

Heheh, if that's true, I'd almost call it falsee hope instead of dedication. Of course, they did make another Indy movie, but it still smells like Ford wishing he could go back to his glory days.

And why all the Shia hate, JadedDM? My friend doesn't like him either, but as far as I can see, he's a pretty good actor. I admit, I wouldn't want to see him as the new Indy, but I don't dislike him.

Actually, that raises a good question. Noone could be as good as Harrison, but if they continued to make Indiana Jones movies who should be the new "Indy"?
    An appeal to me in this fiendish row - is there? Very well; I heard; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Saw it last night. It was not bad. I think it was probably a little better than Temple of Doom but it would be hard to be better than Last Crusade or Raiders. Overall it was good and I will not go into any details until later. It was worth seeing and was just a fun action movie. Do not go into this thinking it will reinvent the seiries.
    "I gave you a twizzler I can do what ever I want" - ME

Valandil

Bozam

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

I wish River Phoenix hadn't caused his own untimely demise. I likely would have enjoyed him as Indy.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Don Beegles View Post
    And why all the Shia hate, JadedDM? My friend doesn't like him either, but as far as I can see, he's a pretty good actor. I admit, I wouldn't want to see him as the new Indy, but I don't dislike him.
    Why? Because of THIS.

Nobody makes Harrison Ford ride bitch. Nobody!

20. - Top - End - #20

Oh, I see. Yes, that makes it all so clear. That's almost a crime.

On another note; Ford looks ancient in that picture. It's probably just because he's making a stereotypical "Oh, I'm terrified by this whipper-snapper's speed." It makes him look jowly and not his macho self, and I don't like it.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by purple gelatinous cube o' Doom View Post
    The film was shown at Cannes yesterday to overwhelmingly positive reactions ( a lengthy standing o).
    Are you sure about this? I heard there was a lot of cheering when the movie started, but less cheering when it ended, and that it was rated as "just okay" at Cannes.

Then again, my source was a radio station morning show, so it's not exactly infallible.
    ~ ~ ~

22. - Top - End - #22

My girlfriend (who feels about the film the same way I do, and will probably see it with me) said that it got five out of five stars somewhere that she'd read, but I can't for the life of me recall where.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

My friend sheckells saw a premiere of it at his school, he said it was awesome. Apparently there's something at the end that will leave you sort of WTF?!?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

77% on Rotten Tomatoes isn't too bad.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    My friend sheckells saw a premiere of it at his school, he said it was awesome. Apparently there's something at the end that will leave you sort of WTF?!?
    Before or after the credits? (Actually, if anyone who's seen it could mention if anything IS after the credits, that'd be cool. Don't spoil us of course, but I wouldn't mind hearing if I should wait or not. That doesn't really seem to be a Spielburg thing to do, though.)
    ~ ~ ~

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Right, so I just saw the movie. What. The. Bloody. Hell. I'm not going to give away anything, other than the fact that if you can think of a movie cliche, it's probbably in there. and the fact that you can spot things miles in advance. MILES, I tell you. Also, I'm joining the Shia-hate Train: He sucks.

Edit: I will say this for the positive side though. The movie starts out looking like Jones is old enough to have a foot in the grave, but as the movie goes on, they strip the age away little by little until you'd swear if it wasn't for the hair, he was as old as he was in '89.
    Last edited by Deth Muncher; 2008-05-22 at 02:03 AM.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

27. - Top - End - #27

There's nothing after the credits, but the WTF parts aren't that bad.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The action parts are totally in the style of every one of the previous movies, and as for the... other bits: anyone who thinks they're ridiculously over-the-top might look again at the ghost-women from Raiders of the Lost Ark, or all that nonsense in Temple of Doom...

Excellent movie. I believe with utter certainty (don't even try to argue with me, haters!) that it is as good as the first and third movies, and no one with any sense at all can say it has anywhere near the level of antiquality displayed in the second movie. It's done in pretty much exactly the same style as the previous three, if amped up a bit. Someone here wanted a Cohen the Barbarian vibe, and it looks like they got just what they wished for. I hope they milk this merchandising opportunity for all it's worth, because I don't have the other three on DVD and I would love a good boxed set of all four.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inyssius Tor View Post
    There's nothing after the credits, but the WTF parts aren't that bad.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The action parts are totally in the style of every one of the previous movies, and as for the... other bits: anyone who thinks they're ridiculously over-the-top might look again at the ghost-women from Raiders of the Lost Ark, or all that nonsense in Temple of Doom...

Excellent movie. I believe with utter certainty (don't even try to argue with me, haters!) that it is as good as the first and third movies, and no one with any sense at all can say it has anywhere near the level of antiquality displayed in the second movie. It's done in pretty much exactly the same style as the previous three, if amped up a bit. Someone here wanted a Cohen the Barbarian vibe, and it looks like they got just what they wished for. I hope they milk this merchandising opportunity for all it's worth, because I don't have the other three on DVD and I would love a good boxed set of all four.

Come now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Soviets, mummies, aliens, Mayans, the giant pictographs, CGI animals...?! It was as if they tried to take EVERY loose end in history and tie it all up. To that extent, I say good job. But I mean, honestly, cmon. Aliens? Really.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

29. - Top - End - #29

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, I will grant you the monkeys. The ants were totally fine and only a mild cinematic exaggeration of the real thing. The aliens weren't that much worse than the previous movies' paranormal things, though I admit I would have liked them much less had they actually been from another planet instead of another universe.

...mummies? What mummies? Are you talking about the stuff in the aliens' loot chamber, or the webbing-covered Spaniards, or that one passing reference to the "mummified remains" the government found? And how is the Soviet Union a loose end in history?

Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

30. - Top - End - #30

Not quite on topic, but what is with all of the Temple of Doom hate?

I'm watching it right now, and it's not terrible. It is cheesier than the other ones, but not in so bad that I actually don't like it.