Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: The Chaos of Cannith [3.5]

@ Mongler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All right, thanks! *nods* Not sure whether you have seen it in the post up there, because I had added it belatedly, but this would be my skill check then:

[ Knowledge (Arcana): 11 + 9 = 20 ]

Would that give me any interesting insights into those spider trackers and their functions, based probably only upon what Menya d'Cannith told us about them?
    Last edited by Minstrel Wyrm; 2008-05-23 at 02:36 PM.
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    Music in thrall this lone
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

-- Stanza from Oh, Come, Let Me Sing, a Harper drinking ballad

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

"I just wanted to be sure - some the earliest warforged were naught more than artificial animals, yet you seem to be smarter than most a those here," Konnor says, making a small gesture towards those heading off with Meyna. "Which brings me to the thoughts you were talkin' about. I'm going to ask you an important question - one you can answer if ya cogitate about it for a minute."

Konnor narrows his eyes and loses the grin. His voice also shifts somewhat - he stops dropping consonants and it even lowers in pitch a bit. "Let's assume for the sake of argument that everything Meyna said a minute ago was true. If that's the case, it follows from there that they have a device that can alter memory and perception, and if that's true, then no one will be getting the reward they promised. Can you tell me why?"
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-05-23 at 10:39 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #63

BlackDragon

"There may be a flaw in your argument," Kamiel retorts. "If everything Lady d'Cannith said in fact were to be true, the statement that the spider tracker will remove the memories about the weapon's details would also be true."

For a moment, he turns his gaze back to the d'Cannith messenger. "However, I assume that you are thinking of this: If they have a way of removing specific memories, what is there to stop them from removing the memory about the reward as well? The memories of the whole mission, even?" His gaze returns to you, and the green glow in his eye sockets gains the intensity of embers. "They would claim it to be a matter of trust. So far, they failed to inspire trust in me."
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

"Precisely." Konnor nods. "And it wouldn't necessarily be flawed - just badly worded. It's duplicity - lying by omission... a half truth."

"Now, add in all of your thought-provoking questions about the nature, use, sale, and possible deployment of the mystery weapon. She didn't seem too keen to answer those directly. It all seems rather shortsighted, but I'd sooner believe that they're not telling us what we need to know than that they haven't throught it through - and if she expects me to believe that they just spontaneously decided to build this one day and worry about selling it later, then nuts to that. Frankly, I'd rather someone else had a look at this superweapon before it ends up in full scale production or in some government armory." Konnor looks over his shoulder at those accompanying Meyna again. "That someone else won't be those people - those who sign up to give Cannith access to thier minds. I don't know about you, but I think there needs to be more than one group in pursuit of the weapon. I just got done talking with a fine lady who seemed to think the same way. I was wondering what you thought about it - the superweapon, I mean."

Konnor then turns around completely, to view the doorway through which Meyna and her new hirelings have probably disappeared by now. He then turns partway back to the warforged at the doorway, and gestures with a wide arm motion at the direction Meyna is headed while looking at the warforged. "The stakes are too high, the potential for disaster too great, to make any mistakes with this - or to take everything we're told as the gospel truth. That said, you seem to be an inquisitive and intelligent warforged, and I've heard nothing but good things about the spellcasting ones. Seeing as I'm already meeting one person tomorrow to discuss the details of a non-Cannith-sanctioned hunt, I was wondering if you would be interested in something like that."

5. - Top - End - #65

BlackDragon

"Duplicity."

For several heartbeats, the large construct silently looks at Konnor.

"Yes. They have not been telling us everything. They would be fools to trust a memory wipe to keep their secret safe. Especially when applied only after the person in question returned the weapon. Memories can be entrusted to parchment. Objects can be sold instead of returned. Deals can be prepared even before a tracker is attached. They must have other measures."

He pauses again.

"Their reassurances about trusting one of the Nations not to abuse it also fail to reassure me. While inventors do tend to develop new contraptions on their own often enough, this 'trust' in Breland makes it doubtful in this case. House Cannith does not have an allegiance to any one of the Five Nations, as far as I know. Therefore I suspect that Breland did order such a device. And thereby bought the 'trust' of House Cannith."

Then Kamiel's eyes flare up. "I am not willing to aid House Cannith in making such a deal. Neither am I willing to see the prototype end up in the hands of criminals, which House Cannith seems to have seen fit to specifically appeal to in their recruitment efforts. Enough of them may be tempted by even larger profits to renege on their deal with House Cannith ... if they even mean to honour it in the first place."

After studying Konnor's face for a few moments, he continues. "Whom would you have look at the prototype? Who has your trust?"
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

The question brings Konnor up short. He looks around the room, as if searching for inspiration in its furnishings.

"Now go! I’ll buy you some time.”

The words echo in his memory, not more than a few days old. Nonetheless, he is the only one Konnor can think of that has proven trustworthy all the time - at least when it mattered.

"One man, and one only." Konnor looks up with a new spark in his eye and smacks one fist into the other palm. "But we'd need the weapon in our possession before we go to see him - anything else is too dangerous. He's not famous for his skills - at least not yet, but between him, myself, you, and anyone else we bring in on this, like that lady I was talking to earlier - Marsh was her name - we may be able to figure out what to do with it."

Konnor turns around again to face the warforged head-on. His voice takes on its previous mannerism, and his face brightens. "All of this assumes that we *are* forming some kind of group - which would ironically enough need to be a better adventuring party than all the others on the job."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Konnor might be used to it, but Kamiel's last words kinda gave me chills. I suppose it's just creepy to watch any artificial construct actively decide to work against humans - even in fiction - but still, good job!
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-05-23 at 10:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

As she steals away towards the Skyway, Marsh tries to plot out her next few moves in her mind. The situation could either better considerably, or worsen all the more. This night and the day after it would prove critical to her ten year old quest. She's almost shaken by the sudden amount of momentum. This one opportunity...

What will I tell that Konnor guy? I have to be careful with what I say, but it also has to sound natural, reasonable, and trustworthy. I obviously can't mention my hatred for Cannith as that would only inflame things. I also can't tell them I plan to use the thing once it's found – use it PERSONALLY, even worse. So that means I should start developing my own plan to get behind the controls of this weapon of theirs once I find it. Though he did not look extremely keen – I can probably outmatch him in both wits and words. Sad, it is...other seventeen year old girls going to breakfast at Galdin's are probably going with lovers or friends, to have fun.

She sighs.

For me it's just another battle in a war that's lasted too long. But it will end. Either with me dead, or with Cannith South, and later, the rest of Cannith, back where it belongs.

The thought of it makes her grin, and remember certain things. She clears her head rather quickly. Memories of that sort should remain buried.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kind of a useless post, but I just wanted to say SOMETHING in light of all the rest of this character development

8. - Top - End - #68

BlackDragon

"You are hesitant to provide a name." The construct acknowledges that with a nod. "The protection of an ally is reasonable under these circumstances. I won't ask for his exact identity ... yet. To extend even a measure of trust, however, I have to know more about him. About his allegiances, and about his position. Who would we be dealing with?"

Then he eyes you. "And I would know your name, as well as your allegiance, before I agree to join forces."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks, Jade! Glad you liked it! No three laws for the warforged, eh?

Apropos three: I do start to miss Soren and Pugil. Hope they can join us soon, too!
    Last edited by Minstrel Wyrm; 2008-05-24 at 04:55 AM.
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor looks back into the eyes of the warforged.

The name Konnor Greystaff is less than a week old. I hate to decieve him, but my *real* name could easily get me killed and him arrested.
    Oh well, I suppose I didn't lie about any of the important bits. We actually *are* working towards the same goals - for the most part. I can even tell him the truth about Kalav. If he's quick on the uptake, he won't be harmed when everything hits the fan.

"My name is Konnor Greystaff of Aundair - at your service! I was a mercenary for a short time in the last war. Not for long though - I'm still 18, though my birthday is comin' up soon."

Konnor's eyes unfocus. "My... ally is a mid-level tinkerer for House Cannith - don't worry, he likely feels the same way that I do about this weapon, and values friendship and justice above the dictates of the House. I've seen this demonstrated, and if not for him I'd be dead even now."

Konnor takes a serious tone again and focuses on the warforged before him. "As for my allegiance, I come from a family of little renown in Fairhaven, and although I owe no *particular* allegiance to any one government or nation, I would prefer to be able to make my own decision later rather than have my allegiance dictated to me by whoever is holding Cannith's toys."

Konnor holds out his hand as his face clears. "And who might you be?"
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-05-24 at 11:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

BlackDragon

"Of Aundair?" The massive warforged sets his head at an angle again. "Then I was at your service, not the other way around."

Looking down at Konnor, he continues. "I was constructed to serve Aundair in the Last War. Mainly against Karrnath. After the war ended, I began to walk my own path, and I reclaimed my allegiance."

He seems thoughtful for a moment. "Kamiel," he then says. "That is my name." An Aundairian name. A human name. Yet spoken with such a conviction that any doubts about the truthfulness of the answer are deflected.

Looking down at Konnor's outstretched hand, he hesitates a moment, then closes his own around it. Luckily for the young man, the warforged is used to handling quills and parchment; his grip is merely crushing ...
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

"Fantastic!" Beads of sweat pop out on Konnor's forehead. The warforged's grip is stronger than some of those he worked with during the war.

Son of a monkey! I should have given Marsh the handshake and the bow to Kamiel!

"I should introduce you to the gal I just met - we're meeting tomorrow at... ooh, but she said to come alone." Konnor looks pensive as he with draws his right hand. He rubs it and his wrist, and as he does this his loosened sleeve falls back, revealing a heavy bandage around his forearm. He seems not to notice.

"Well, maybe we could come to meet you after breakfast... do you know where you'll be tomorrow, around mid-morning?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Our actions and speech aren't, for instance, locking out those of Pugil and Soren, are they? I mean, this is fun but I don't want to keep them waiting...
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-05-24 at 03:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

BlackDragon

"The library, over there. At least that is my plan," Kamiel replies. Then he indicates Konnor's arm. "You are damaged. Are you beleaguered by enemies? As long as we are contemplating an alliance, I could accompany you. Loosing half a day of research would not have a large impact on my work."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am not completely sure, but I think Mongler may be waiting for Soren and Pugil to post their actions. But maybe the two have lost track of that over the rather rapid developments in the thread, and are also waiting for Mongler to post something for them?

*pokes the three*

I don't know what plans Mongler has for bringing Pugil into the group, but if Soren is already on the way to Morgrave University, this might be a good point to have him join us. After all, Soren and Kamiel have already met on the way to Sharn, so they would recognize each other. So if Soren were to see Kamiel and Konnor standing there before we part ways and leave ... :)
    Last edited by Minstrel Wyrm; 2008-05-24 at 05:20 PM.
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

13. - Top - End - #73

Spoiler
    Show
    If they were waiting for something to happen to them, they really should have said so, I feel. Right now it just looks like they were hellishly busy or not inclined to post.

Edit: Also, Mongler hasn't been on all day. He does this kind of thing at times, just totally disappears. I call it Eppyportation, due to his name on another message board. It'll either last a few eternities, or he'll be back tonight or tomorrow.
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-05-24 at 03:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    To be exact, I missed the bus home yesterday so I had to remain away from home for awhile. :( Now I'm back though.

Soren, you see Konnor and Kamiel if you enter the university (or after a bit of wandering if they aren't in a hallway). Near them is Menya D'Cannith speaking with a group of people. Menya seems to fit the description that you gave the boy...a little. It's not who you were looking for, though the similarity is a bit startling.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor looks at Kamiel blankly for a moment. "I'm what? Oh, that - you don't need to worry about it. I'll find ya at the library tomorrow, then? That sounds fine. Hopefully by then I can bring Marsh on board, and I suppose you could get in touch with anyone you think could be of assistance."

He pauses, but continues after realizing he hasn't answered all of Kamiel's questions.

"And no, I'm not 'beleagured by enemies' - I've had this a long time."

Konnor bows this time, having learned his lesson about handshakes. As he heads out the door and into town (back to where he's staying) he begins thinking about the future - something he had little cause to do just a week before - and about his encounters over the last few minutes, his thoughts running together. He'll also be kicking himself.

Good job with the sleeve, moron - even the warforged noticed! I need to be more careful with that in the future.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-05-24 at 11:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Konnor, your current establishment is in the Dancing Shadows district of Middle Tavick's Landing, an inn district. Tavick's Landing is one of the 5 regions of Sharn.

Spoiler
    Show
    You can do a Knowledge Local to find out some basics of the city. In addition, if you want a residence other than in Tavick's Landing, just inquire what class (upper, middle, lower) of place you'd like to live in and I'll work out something with you in the OOC topic. Thanks. I figure Tavick's is good because it tends to be where people enter the city.

You have a few options available to you to get back to your home. You could take the Skycoach (a small transportation boat that flies through the air), which costs 1 silver per mile, a wagon, soarsleds (flying disks) or walk. You know from a few sightings in the past to be careful around where you're staying - the Deathsgate Guild and district is located near the Dancing Shadow district, and their name really says it all about the type of adventurers they cater to.

---

Marsh, you cross a skybridge leading over to the Highest Towers district of Upper Central Plateau. This is quite convenient for you because you remember there is an airship dock that has skycoaches there which you can use to reach Skyway. The lofty and ornate towers of this district offer panoramic views of the surrounding city. People stride along well-lit streets and gracefully arcing bridges with an air of importance and the smell of great wealth.
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-06-05 at 03:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor will flag down a skycoach.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Local) Roll: 16 + 3 = 19
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-05-25 at 10:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Marsh strides calmly and confidently to the airship dock for a skycoach.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A skycar the size of a rowboat pulls up to Marsh. The pilot, a young human, smiles as you enter and asks you for your destination. Upon you telling him, he says he'll do a round trip from here to Skyway and back for 1 gold.

---

Konnor, the city of Sharn is divided into 5 plateaus, known as Quarters or regions. They are Central Plateau (where the government's seat is along with the finest businesses and wealthiest folks); the Menthis Plateau (the hub of the city and home to Morgrave University, it is a popular tourist destination and many races are found there); Northedge (the most residential of Sharn's quarters, it is a quiet neighborhood with little crime); Dura (the largest quarter and also the poorest, mixing several businesses and housing); and finally Tavick's Landing (has the Orien lightning rail and trade road along with residential districts and places for travelers to rest).

You also realize that in Sharn, one does not merely think horizontally about destinations, but also vertically. Each quarter is divided into 3 vertical wards - upper, middle, and lower. The upper wards (such as Upper Central) are home to aristocrats who enjoy fresh air and cool temperatures. The middle wards (such as Middle Tavick's Landing) are more enclosed but there are open-air balconies and platforms there still. The lower wards (such as Lower Dura) are impoverished and bleak, with few windows and very cramped space. The levels of the wards directly correspond to the status of those who live there - the rich live in the upper wards, the middle class live in the middle, and the poor live in the lower levels.

On top of a balcony of a tower, you flag down a tour skycoach the size of a longship. This one is run by a Warforged, who seems to be monotonously telling the passengers that the next stop is Middle Tavick's Landing. He asks you for 5 silver to get there.
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-05-25 at 11:21 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80

"Skyway, Azure Gateway restaurant." Marsh says, returning the smile while giving him the gold piece, and an extra piece as a tip. She casts disguise self on the way to change her hair to blonde, and her eyes gold.
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-05-25 at 11:27 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll a Disguise check if so inclined.

The skycoach begins to fly towards Skyway, positioned above Central Plateau. It is not very long before it reaches a tower on the southern end of the Azure district, and the pilot allows you off with a tip of his hat.

This district is almost silent, floating on clouds high above the hubbub of the city. Servants scurry about from fabulous mansions to exquisite shops, while the gentry who call this place home parade in state, often riding griffons or hippogriffs, as they call upon their counterparts.

The Azure Gateway restaurant has a lovely view of the quarters below Skyway, and as you recall, serves fine and exotic dishes such as from Thrane (including fine steaks), Karranth (their famous breaded veal as well as traditional sausage dishes), and Aundair (including noodles and meats in tomato- and oil-based sauces). All the food at this restaurant (along with the other two Skyway restaurants) are purified by House Ghallanda.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quaint. Marsh thinks, slightly sarcastic. She walks around confident that in her fancy dress and long blonde hair she looks not only like somebody who would frequent the skyway, but also like any number of rich youth. It would certainly help her given what she might have to do later. Acting as though she fits into the surrounding perfectly, she heads into the restaurant, searching for the mayor. Hopefully he didn't invite anyone else...

Spoiler
    Show
    Decided to get my dice bag out and roll my own d20s too.

Disguise: 13+15 = 28.
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-05-26 at 09:33 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor boards the skycoach, listening for anyone speaking about the Cannith Superweapon, House Cannith, Jastis d'Cannith, Menya d'Cannith, Marsh, or Kamiel.

Might as well make good use of time.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Marsh enters into the Azure Gateway, and is immediately greeted by the sight of a very lovely establishment. A chandelier hangs from the ceiling of this well-lit room, bathing everything in a dim but atmospheric light. Azure carpets line the area, and the scent of fine foods not found in Breland enrich the experience even further. The maitre d'hôtel, a half-elf dressed quite smartly, quickly glances on his list of guests and asks you for your name with a smile.

---

Konnor boards the skycoach, waiting to hear anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen check
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-05-26 at 09:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor will also pay his 5 silver, of course.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen Check: 13 + 5 = 18

26. - Top - End - #86
    Halfling in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Soren, after wandering the halls for some time, notices Kamiel.
    "Well met, Kamiel! I fear my quest goes poorly, but what of your own?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by HealthKit View Post
    Friends don't let friends play gnomes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    "Yo no hablo ingles. YO HABLO BURNINATION Y FIERY APOCALYPSE FROM THE SKY. BWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
    Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald View Post
    Well, I know from experience that molotov halflings do 2d6.

27. - Top - End - #87

BlackDragon

Kamiel, who just was heading back towards the library, stops when he hears the familiar voice. Turning around, he spots the crusader and walks towards him.

"It is good to see you again." Kamiel looks around. "My own task has encountered a delay. A delay that could affect you as well ... But this hallway would be too open a space to talk about it."

Looking around once more, Kamiel starts to search for a more private place to talk. "You probably did not come to Morgrave University for that, though. What lead you here? Your quest?"

@ Geneticist:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Err, just noticed that I don't know how to address Soren! Is there a special title or honorific one uses for a crusader, like "Sir Soren" or something? And if there is, should Kamiel be using it, or does Soren prefer to simply be called "Soren" by him?
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

28. - Top - End - #88

Marsh smiles back. "Marsh of Leblanche."

Spoiler
    Show
    By the way, Marsh is keeping her mind on the time for her Disguise Self spell, it'd last 40 minutes, and she'll renew it before it runs out. She'll do this up to 3 more times if needed if the dinner goes on too long.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The maitre d' runs over his list of names and says, "Ah yes, Marsh of Leblanche...you're with Lord Mayor Cathan ir'Demell? What an honor for the great Leblanche family! Please, come this way!"

He escorts you to the back of the room, where you see him at last. The Lord Mayor is a rotund, bored-looking bureaucrat dressed in fine clothes well tailored to his great bulk. His bald head shines with sweat, and his pale blue eyes have a somewhat glazed appearance. He has no visible weapons, but he carries a heavy golden scepter as his badge of office and wears a golden circlet.

He is sitting at a large, rectangular table with him at the head of it. He looks over at Marsh and gives her a polite smile. "Marsh of LeBlanche I presume? Here, have a seat." He gestures to the chair to his left.

---

Konnor catches a few words of a conversation near the back. "House Lyrandar is not going to be pleased to hear about Cannith's failure, I'm afraid. If they don't make amends, Lyrandar may just cut off the project and funding entirely."
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-05-27 at 02:42 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

"Greetings Lord Mayor," Marsh charmingly says, "I'm delighted I was able to meet with you tonight. I've been looking forward to it. As a servant-daughter of the LeBlanche family, meeting with a real politician is simply thrilling. I strive to become involved in the body politick as well, and talking to the alpha male of Sharn himself..." She leaves the statement hanging, as though it was all she had to say.