New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Chaos of Cannith [3.5]

"Upper Central, anywhere is fine." Marsh says. She also pays the man.
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-06-10 at 12:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

"When I turn over the table, I want you to run like hell for the front door. I will, as they say, cover you."

With that Konnor leans back a bit, then turns his head, and nothing else, to look directly at the guy with the knife. He gives a small, tight smile to the guy, then brings his arm and his leg up to turn the table over, so that its top is facing fedora-man, and tries to do so in such a way that it is between the man and the front door. Konnor then dives and crouches behind the table.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know what checks, if any, I need to make for that, but as for initiative...

Initiative Check: 14 + 3 = 17.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The gnome bolts for the door as quick as his stubby little legs can take him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength check for the table I'd say.

The shady man lets out a creepy laugh, clearly male.

"This affair doesn't concern you. Our little gnome friend you just let escape was about to leak too much information. Just tell me you'll stay out of Cannith's concerns and I'll leave you alone...of course, that gnome's going to get a knife in the heart for selling us out."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor tries to decide if the man is lying about letting him go or not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength Check: 13 + 1 = 14
    Sense Motive Check: 11 + 3 = 14

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The skycoach begins to set off.

---

The shady man does not appear to be lying. You also manage to flip the table over.
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-06-11 at 07:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

Marsh settles back on the skycoach.

They'll be suspicious, but they'll already be harassing me for investigating the weapon without Cannith approval. The Cyre clue should throw them off. I've always expressed a poor opinion of the people of Cyre so it doesn't follow that I would do anything for them. Therefore it doesn't really matter. I'll have company nevertheless if my meeting with that young man goes off well tomorrow.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

"In that case..." Konnor is a split second from accepting the offer, but the knowledge that the gnome will be killed grinds on him. I got him into this. Heck, I forced him into this, and he doesn't deserve to die for that.

Konnor draws his rapier, pointing it directly at the guy. "...you can go to hell. Prepare yourself."
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-06-11 at 09:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Very well, I'll just have to silence you before the Watch comes. No hard feelings I hope."

He jumps on top of a table beside him, and is now 15 feet away from you. He draws a dagger from his coat and tosses it at you quickly. It hits you in the shoulder, striking an unguarded vital spot for 10 damage.

"The Watch is going to have tons of fun picking up your shredded pieces in a few minutes."

Some of the people in the bar are fleeing, running out to call the Watch. You notice some others are actually watching the spectacle with amusement. Apparently Sharn never had the most MORAL of citizens...

"Hey, is he trying to kill that guy? Why doesn't anyone stop him?" Yells a young elf man in the bar armed with a rapier. He is about 110 you'd guess, young for an elf, and he has short silvery hair, blue eyes, and pale features. He has a brown leather jacket on and simple black pants.

"It's just another body for the Watch to find, don't get involved, kid." The bartender comments.

"I WILL get involved when someone's life is at stake!" He draws his rapier and approaches the shady man from the other side of the table, stabbing at him. He cuts into the man's torso, and the trenchcoat turns a sick blood red color as he recoils in pain, but remains standing.

Konnor goes.
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-06-11 at 09:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Kamiel's comment comes back to haunt him.

"You are damaged. Are you beleaguered by enemies?"

Well, I bloody am now! Should've taken him up on his offer. Time to buy myself some breathing space.

Konnor looks at the elf, stating as firmly as he can with a dagger sticking out of him, "Stay out of it!" I need to go find the gnome before any of this guy's friends do, and now I have to keep track of the elf too!

Konnor manages to smile again at the guy. "A good shot, but you threw your blade too soon. Are you watching closely?"

Konnor waves his hand in the air and mutters some arcane words. He adds a snap of the fingers at the end just for style, timing it so that as he snaps, he vanishes into thin air.

Konnor scoots towards the front door (stopping about ten feet from it, and five feet to the side) as quietly as he can.

Time to even the odds against this clown and any buddies he has. I learned a couple of tricks in the War...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Konnor has quite obviously cast invisibility.

Hide Check: 11 + 8 + 20 = 39
    Move Silently Check: 15 + 7 = 22
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-06-11 at 11:32 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The elf backs off when you disappear, apologizing quickly for his actions. The shady man curses when you vanish. When you approach the door, you see another person enter - an old-looking human with gray hair and a brown cloak.

"I couldn't find Jerrik, where's the one he was leaking the information to?" Demands the old man.

The shady criminal replies, "He turned invisible and fled. Should have figured it wouldn't be this easy. We'll have to bribe the Watch to keep a lookout for him."

"Did Jerrik spill anything about the Tyrants?" The old man asks, barely above a whisper so no one else in the crowd can hear him amongst the chaos.

"No, don't worry. Quickly, we need to get out of here and find Jerrik before the Watch."
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-06-12 at 08:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor nearly laughs out loud at the mention of bribing the watch to look for him. Too slow, suckers... your masters have already beaten you to it!

Konnor nods to himself at the conclusion of their conversation, quietly setting down his rapier to rest against the wall. A gnome named Jerrik... a group of something called the Tyrants... and an old man in a cloak. This just keeps getting better. His voice is sarcastic even in his own mind.

Konnor tries to move his left arm and nearly cries out. He removes the dagger, wiping it on the inside hem of his tunic, and tucks the throwing dagger away in his belt. That injury will be dripping soon, unless I fix it - a dead giveaway even if I'm invisible. Fortunately, I happen to have a bandage.

He unwraps his right forearm, It's not like anyone can see it now, anyway. and ties it tightly over his shoulder, and under his armpit. He then pushes his right sleeve down to his wrist for good measure. Won't stay invisible for long... there, that should do it.

Ready to go, Konnor picks up his rapier again, and prepares to follow the two assassins on their way out.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He will, however, wait until they're both outside to cast mage armor on himself before following. If they part ways, Konnor will follow the injured one.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I must say, I didn't expect to get injured this early in the campaign. I hope I get to the party healer soon. Oh, wait...
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-06-12 at 04:53 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    You can do a Knowledge Local on the Tyrants, just by the by. Also, I just checked now, but your HP seems...pretty low. >_> You must have had bad luck with D4's lol.

---

The skycoach stops in the Mithral Towers district. The pilot ushers you from the coach and sails off. A cool breeze chills your skin, and the dark night's lights are shining brightly. The homes in this district are large and well kept, showing clear signs of great wealth. True to the district's name, many of the houses boast mithral filigree.
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-06-12 at 07:39 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Marsh walks calmly back home to the Leblanche estate.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Local) Check: 5 + 3 = 8

Oh well, that's pretty accurate considering how long Konnor's been in Sharn. At least he can mention the Tyrants to more Sharn-savvy characters the next morning (assuming he lives) and let them make their checks.

And as for HP, it's actually slightly above average. A full d8 = 8 hp. 3 x 3 (an average roll of 3 on the remaining hit dice) = 9 hp. 4 x 1 (constitution modifier) = 4 hp. 8 + 9 + 4 = 21 hp, which is my total hp. My AC leads something to be desired, but it's ok when I have mage armor up. This guy just kinda caught me off guard.

*WARNING: CLASS AND LEVEL GEEKERY BELOW*

And to be honest, I was initially planning to go full caster with Konnor (Illusionist/Master Illusionist/Archmage, assuming we got many levels), then I saw that Minstrel Wyrm and Meek were likewise building casters, and that Durendal and Geneticist were making tank-like characters, and built him to be a lot younger and more skill-intensive (hence why his first level was ranger). I hoped to make him an eldritch knight, but now I think it would be better to take another level of ranger and go rogue, then arcane trickster (again, if we get that far), which is the only effective build I could think of that matches the skills that Konnor is actually picking up on this adventure. Essentially, I'm building an all-around adventurer - or so I hope. The reason I'm even posting all this is that those classes have a few more hit points to them, so hopefully Konnor's frailty won't last.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As you walk out of the tavern, Konnor, clutching at your bleeding wound, you see the two assassins heading towards an alley, where they stop and wait. You see several guards wielding halberds and saps approaching the tavern and entering it quickly. When the last ones are about to head in, the shady man steps out from the alley and taps one on the shoulder, whispering into his ear and giving him a few gold coins.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen check if you wish.

He then rejoins his friend in the alleyway.

"Let's split up and look for him then. We shouldn't change until we've found the little traitor unless it's an emergency. You know our hand-signal just in case it is required though." The shady man says.

---

You head back to your manor, Marsh. It is one of the largest estates in the Mithral Towers, owned by the respected Leblanche family. Its grand yard gives way to a gigantic mansion surrounded by a garden and its various shrub animals.

16. - Top - End - #166

Marsh opens the door carefully and allows herself in. Unless stopped at the foyer, she'll start the march up to her room.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hide Check: 3 + 8 + 20 = 31
    Move Silently Check: 13 + 7 = 20
    Listen Check: 10 + 5 = 15

Konnor follows the original assailant. Change what? Their clothes? That doesn't make any sense. Could be a more dramatic change, like from a shifter or changeling - they could even be changing weapons or tactics. Best not to reveal myself until I know for sure.

Ow.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-06-17 at 03:37 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Geneticist, are you still with us? It's been awhile.

Marsh, you quickly go up the dark steps of your foyer to your room. The dim light from the sky outside makes the manor positively beautiful, but your thoughts are on other matters right now. You enter into your bedroom which is nearly as large as the Skyway hotel room you were in, and just as well-decorated but without the view of the towers as good as the one at the Azure district.

---

Konnor heard the shady man whisper "Keep an eye out for the one who questioned Menya the most. He's digging too deep."

The man stalks off down the street in search of Jerrik, and as you follow him he eventually spots the gnome hiding in the interior of a tower.

Jerrik speaks up shakily as the man looks at him. "Des...I wasn't going to mention the Tyrants! Honest! You know I wouldn't ruin what we've worked for that easily!"

The shady man, Des, laughs. "Don't bother begging, Jerrik. You didn't do what we asked, so you know the consequences your family will face. I'll even make it fun. I'll turn into you and kill them that way. Get ready." He draws a dagger, but Jerrik seems quite angry now. Jerrik pulls out from a pocket, of all things, a dart.

"I can't say I'm the least bit frightened." Des says cooly.
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-06-16 at 10:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor stops just into the alleyway. I wonder how bad the elf hurt him? He raises his injured arm - the one not holding a weapon. Despite the pain, the arm still seems to work fine. Going for the element of surprise, Konnor speaks aloud some of the arcane words of power he picked up early in his career - a basic, if effective and destructive use of magic. He makes the accompanying gesture with his hand and wrist, and a pair of sizzling, blueish white balls of light streak out and zoom unerringly for Des even as Konnor flickers back to being visible.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Missile is what Konnor is casting, and a caster level of three gets him two missiles.

4 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 8 damage.

After they strike, and whether the guy goes down or not, Konnor says, "I can't say I'm the least bit impressed - you weren't watching closely at all!"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    What about Durendal? He posted, like, once.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-06-17 at 03:54 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170

BlackDragon

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I'm also a bit worried about the two ... I've (quite) recently poked Geneticist with a PM, but of Durendal I have heard nothing at all.

As for my own silence, that's only waiting for Geneticist, nothing else. I'm definitely still around, at the moment rooting for small gno... err, for Konnor, of course!
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    Music in thrall this lone
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

-- Stanza from Oh, Come, Let Me Sing, a Harper drinking ballad

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    I've basically lost faith that Durendal's going to be posting again, but I still have hope for Geneticist.

Much to your relief, when your bolts of force strike Des, he topples over from the impact, bleeding.

"How? Agh...was he following...me...?" He asks as he goes down.

Jerrik holds his dart, looking like he's about to faint.

"T-thanks. Please don't hurt me though...I didn't want any of this to happen, honest, but they've kept tabs on me..."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor stays near the opening to the Alley. "There's another one like him, somewhere. He went searching in the other direction, so if we keep going the way this one was, we can probably avoid him long enough to get clear."

Konnor moves all the way to the opening and presses up against the wall in the direction of the other guy, then peeks around the corner.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide Check: 7 + 8 = 15
    Spot Check 18 + 5 = 23

If Konnor doesn't spot the other guy in the cloak, then he'll turn to Jerrik and say "This way." Then he will proceed to move away from the last place he saw the other guy as fast as he can while not drawing attention, signalling for a skycoach, assuming that Jerrik follows him.

23. - Top - End - #173

Marsh drops on her bed, sighing heartily.

All this time I've been dead. For a brief moment back there, I was alive.

Starting to fall asleep, she mumbles, "I know I will come to regret being alive again."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Soren and Kamiel:

You see someone coming up to where you are. Several people in fact - they look like the Sharn Watch.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes this is a bit sudden but I feel bad for leaving out Kamiel for so long.

---

You do not see the man, and as you wait, you notice Des finally die from his wounds. His face changes to that of a pale gray-skinned humanoid with only a hint of a nose and lips along with thin, fair hair. The face of a Changeling, in other words.

You both head off and soon get to the Skycoach station you used to get to the Dancing Shadows district in the first place.
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-06-18 at 08:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor seats himself across from Jerrik. "So you were going to tell me about some Tyrants?"

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"No harm in me spilling it now." Jerrik mutters as he gets on the skycoach with you. It's heading towards Middle Central, but will be making a return trip to Tavick's Landing later.

"The Tyrants are a criminal gang of Changelings, one of the four big gangs in Sharn. They control most of the bordellos in the city, and mostly deal in information. Forged coins, identification papers, and works of art are common practices for them, along with...blackmail. They steal men's identities to frame them in crimes or can help fugitives erase their past history and start anew. They operate in the Dragoneyes District of Lower Tavick's Landing, and had until recently been feuding with the Boromar Clan, a gang of Halflings."

"They wanted me find someone suitable, as they put it, for the investigation. Someone who isn't a greenhorn or frightened easily, and who would be willing to question the methods of Cannith. You fit the bill perfectly. I was supposed to just tell you about House Lyrandar's work with Cannith's but I went a bit too far...and almost paid for it dearly. The Tyrants, you see, are also involved with House Lyrandar's bit in the plan."

27. - Top - End - #177

BlackDragon

Apparently, Kamiel gives them only a short look before turning back to Soren. But behind his expressionless faceplate, his thoughts accelerate, taking stock of the situation.

Apparent numbers ...

Apparent armament ...

Apparent spellcasters ...

Apparent hostility level ...

Calmly he continues, trying to speak softly enough not to be overheard by the watch members. "Potential hostiles approaching from your left. Prepare. Share any relevant intelligence."

Demonstratively taking out a piece of parchment with his right hand, he uses his left to unobtrusively remove a small fragment of a leather armour from his pouch of spell components. Closing his hand around it, he then pretends to look for a pen of some sort.

@ Mongler:
    Spoiler
    Show

Should the situation seem to warrant it, Kamiel will try to cast Mage Armour before the approaching people are much closer. Just to let you know beforehand; I'll elaborate in my next post, of course.

---------

And no worries, Mongler; Kamiel's a pretty patient one. But while Geneticist seems to have logged on after I sent him that PM, he hasn't answered yet ...
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    Music in thrall this lone
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

-- Stanza from Oh, Come, Let Me Sing, a Harper drinking ballad

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

"And what, precisely, was the general plan, and the weapon itself, as it was told to you?" Konnor leans back, as though asking casually, but this is of vital interest to him.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Watch (you notice there's five men and two women) take a look around the perimeter and then one of the human males approaches you.

"We have to ask you to leave the premises for a few hours. The Watch is conducting an investigation at Morgrave and we cannot have anyone possibly disturbing the evidence."

---

Jerrik whispers to you, saying this next part nervously and extremely quickly, as if spilling it out is imperative. "I don't know everything about it, and I can't guarantee I'll get to finish saying this, but here are the general details from what I saw...first off, you need to know that there are a select few agents within House Lyrandar that are guiding the eyes of investigators towards a false-"

Jerrik's eyes go blank for a moment. Shaking his head, he looks around in confusion. "What was I saying again?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot Check: 12 + 5 = 17