New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: The Chaos of Cannith [3.5]

You notice something now crawling on him, just out of a pocket of his, that you remember from your meeting earlier today.

A tracker spider.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor just stares at it for a moment. Uh oh. He gets up and looks around to search for any immediate threats.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot Check: 18 + 5 = 23
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There are no threats in sight, though Jerrik is growing nervous again.

"What's wrong? Is Des looking for me?"

The tracker spider stops moving. You take note of a symbol upon it - a mass of tentacles surrounded by lightning bolts - and realize that this is the coat of arms of House Lyrandar. The spider then collapses into several separate metallic pieces.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor collects the mettalic pieces and dumps them into an empty belt pouch. "Des is dead. Search your pockets. Search your boots, your clothes, and anything else that could hold a magical tracer." Konnor frowns, then checks himself as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search Check: 8 + 7 = 15

If enough time is available, Konnor will take 20 for a 27.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Dead? Oh...I see now. This must be because of the spider trackers...they can modify memories at the touch of the controller's button."

He searches for more but finds none, nor do you Konnor.

"I hope I was at least somewhat helpful. Des had been keeping an eye on me for awhile, and I was worried I'd let slip something horrible."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

"Then I suppose we're done. You should be okay now." Konnor leans back and tries to look calm and peaceful. Dammit.

When the skycoach reaches the middle levels, if they look hospitable enough, Konnor will get off the skycoach and start looking for some stuff he needs to purchase. Need additional bandages, a change of clothes - preferably also darkweave, a new pen and some parchment, and maybe even a scroll or two.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-06-23 at 08:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

"... hair the colour of gold ..."

Kamiel interrupts his pretended note-taking and looks up when the watch officer addresses him. He listens carefully to the officer's words, then nods.

"Of course, officer. Is the whole campus off-limits for the duration, or only this part? And ... as far as you are free to talk about it, may I ask what has happened?"

Meanwhile, he gathers up the sheet of parchment and the pen and tucks them away ... and, covered by that, he allows the leather fragment to drop into the same satchel as well.

@ Mongler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He decided against casting the spell; he considered the situation not dangerous enough to warrant it. Hopefully he's not wrong there ...
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    Music in thrall this lone
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

-- Stanza from Oh, Come, Let Me Sing, a Harper drinking ballad

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Konnor gets off at Dava Gate at Middle Central. Jerrik decides to wait and take the skycoach to another district, bidding you farewell. Small businesses cluster in towers surrounded by residential areas, and look little different than the homes around them.

It's late, but venturing into Dava Gate you find that is not a problem. You find temples to Ollandra and Onatar around the district and eventually come to a tower where some magical items are being peddled along with a large assortment of clothing on a lower floor.

---

The guard speaks to Kamiel, "The whole campus will be off-limits for a few hours, and the business we need to conduct is for the Sharn Watch. We cannot discuss it with civilians."

Spoiler
    Show
    Kamiel, roll a spot check.

9. - Top - End - #189

BlackDragon

Kamiel nods. "Understood, officer."

@ Mongler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Spot check: 17 + 3 = 20]

Who would've guessed that this d20 prefers 3.5E ... tends to roll abysmally for the 2nd ed.! But far be it from me to complain!
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kamiel notices something strange about the officer. His face has some features about them that aren't normal. It's like he's wearing a disguise.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

When Konnor gets off the skycoach, he heads into the Dava Gate area, and finds somewhere reasonably private. When he does so, he slumps against the wall and just stays there for a bit, shaking, with the immediacy of the moment past. I just *killed* someone! Sure, he was an amoral, murdering creep, but that doesn't mean anything! Even in the war, I never had to kill anything that could talk, make its own decisions, have a family... I was just a tinkerer with some woodsy skills...

He gets it back together quickly, though. This is just going to get worse, too, isn't it? I know what I need. Time to go get it.

At this point, assuming that he isn't interrupted, he will cast prestidigitation to clean the blood off of his clothes and bandages, and then use his dragonmark ability to mend the clothes he has. Need to be somewhat presentable...

At that point he'll head in to the shop. He's looking for a new set of clothing, preferably darkweave, consisting of a dark red, short-but-wide sleeved shirt/blouse, dark brown pants and darker boots, and a medium brown vest, preferably with a bunch of pockets, plus all of the other things that go with a change of clothes. Deep earthtones all the way, I suppose - harder to spot in the dark.

He's also looking for a roll or two of bandages, spell components, a new pen and paper, and, if they have it, a scroll of glitterdust and rope trick.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure that 600g covers that - with about a hundred to spare. If I'm wrong, then drop the scroll of rope trick.

If he manages to find all of that, Konnor will take the skycoach back to where he's staying, and turn in after he records to paper his memories of the conversations with Jerrik.
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2008-06-26 at 05:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    To be exact, the two scrolls combined cost 300 GP, so don't worry. I'll edit this in a bit later when I'm not busy.

You quickly gather the supplies you need and take a coach back to Middle Tavick's Landing's Dancing Shadows district where your place is at. You see some members of the Watch blocking off the area where you slew Des, but avoid them easily and make it back to your room. You rest after this long, eventful day.
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-06-30 at 05:05 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay Kamiel/Soren, if we can wrap up your section we'll finally be done of the first day!

14. - Top - End - #194

BlackDragon

Kamiel turns towards Soren. "Let us leave the campus, sir. If you have the time, I would finish these notes right afterwards, and then you can be on your way."

Nodding once more to the officer, he turns and walks towards the exit. On the way, he tries to unobtrusively see whether other watch members display the same signs of a disguise.

@ Mongler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure how many watch members Kamiel can pass on the way to an exit without being too obvious about it, but just in case, here's a series of four spot checks. Take as many as you need!

[Spot check: 10 + 3 = 13]

[Spot check: 16 + 3 = 19]

[Spot check: 6 + 3 = 9]

[Spot check: 13 + 3 = 16]
    Last edited by Minstrel Wyrm; 2008-07-01 at 01:38 PM.
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kamiel, you notice at least two other guards are wearing 'disguises' as well.

16. - Top - End - #196

BlackDragon

Returning the way they came, Kamiel leads Soren towards the main exit of the campus. He keeps an eye out for more people in watch uniforms; there certainly would be more, if the campus was really going to be closed off.

@ Mongler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Should he encounter any students, servants, or lecturers on the way (after leaving the sight of those five "watch members" on the Dalannan Tower Commons), he would try to stop them for a short question.
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You don't notice any other guards on the way out.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm getting tired of waiting for Soren, and I don't want this game to die. Should I look for an alt?
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-07-06 at 09:09 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I'm still checking it at least once daily, so I guess I don't want it to die either...

Um, Minstrel Wyrm said that he's already sent a PM to both Genetecist and Durendal, so it may be time for an alt. Might I suggest a cleric?

Or you could just continue with a three man (the ideal heroic number!) group, and hope that they come back. You're the DM, it's really up to you in the end.

19. - Top - End - #199

BlackDragon

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, only Geneticist so far. But from a look at his profile, it seems that he didn't log on since 17th of June ... he's probably beleaguered by RL at the moment. (At least I would suspect that.)

As Jade_Tarem said, it's your choice. Maybe look for one alt (to replace Durendal - who apparently dropped out even earlier), and "park" Soren in an inn? That way we know where to find him, if Geneticist comes back.

However, I would be fine with Jade_Tarem's suggestion of a group of three, too.

@ Mongler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No other guards, eh? Does the campus look deserted at all? Kamiel would even throw a glance into a few buildings, to make sure. (At least as long as there are no guards in sight.)
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The campus seems entirely deserted at the moment.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright then - I'm going to go look for a cleric alt to replace Durendal. I hope Soren returns, but I will take your 'inn parking' idea into account.

Recruitment Topic is up: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...86#post4542286

Let's hope we get a good poster here.
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-07-06 at 07:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201

BlackDragon

"Apparently the campus has indeed been evacuated," Kamiel observes. "These watchmen seemed to be disguised impostors to me, but they apparently still run a larger operation. As I am no scouting unit, my chances of staying here undetected to watch them are minimal."

He says it calmly, but the green glow of his eyes flares up for a moment. Kamiel's gaze rests on the Dalannan Tower, then turns back to Soren. "Let us leave the premises and look for an inn. You need sleep, and I would probably be arrested by the real watch for loitering, were I to spend the night on the streets."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A new recruitment thread? Didn't you want to check the two alternates we had in the original one first? (Thinking of SurePromise and GimliFett there - they were interested, weren't they?)
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Minstrel has a point. Also, even if you do use the recruitment thread, you may want to change its name to something other than "permanent alt" - which has a rather odd connotation.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The two of you make your way to a nearby upscale lodging resort known as the Ivory Dreamer. The inn's interior is lit by candlelight and is very quiet, with a few nearby tables in another room being occupied by travelers. At an oak desk at the back of the room sits the innkeeper, a small elven man reading a book as you walk in, who informs you that a stay here will cost you both two gold pieces.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh yes, you're right, I forgot I had alts in the first place. I'm PM'ing GimliFett now.
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-07-07 at 09:52 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Seems we have a winner in the recruitment thread, unless Gimli gets back to you soon.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    I contacted Gimli and he made someone. To be fair to both of them, I will allow them both to join.

26. - Top - End - #206

BlackDragon

"Naturally." Kamiel puts two golden galifars on the oaken table, then turns to Soren. "Should you wish to ingest food, Sir Soren, I would be willing to keep you company. Else I would retire to my room now."

@ Mongler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    *subtracts money from character sheet*

I'll leave it up to you whether they (well, one of them) grab a bite or go to their rooms at once. Kamiel will take care to privately talk to Soren later on, though (not in the guestroom), to make a new plan.

After this encounter with the fake watch he thinks it best if Soren would not be dragged into this right away, but stayed in the background for now, as sort of an ace up the sleeve. Maybe they could simply use this inn as a place where to get in touch, if/when it becomes necessary.
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

After finishing your meal, consisting of fine bread and wine, you head off to bed. The next morning is Zor, Nymm the 5th. Today is Galifar's Throne, the day where the foundation of the kingdom of Galifar was created. Only the Q'barra citizens openly commemorate the day in these modern times, but it is still an irony that such political unrest would occur on such a grand anniversary. The weather outside is quite cloudy, and you all are awoken by the sound of thunder. People are gathering in the streets, especially, as Marsh notices, around where she's staying at.

Spoiler
    Show
    Zor means Thursday. Nymm is, as you'll recall, June.
    Last edited by Iron Mongler; 2008-07-08 at 11:05 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Marsh awakens, and heads quickly to her washroom for a quick bath and combing. She has an appointment to keep, but that's no excuse to look untidy. She realizes only shortly thereafter what it is she did. She killed the mayor. To her at least, she had good reason. But she knew this was not something she could tell anyone – ever. There would never be anyone she could truly confide in, would there?

After sitting in the warm water for a time, Marsh (Yes, Marsh of Leblanche...not Latin D'Cannith for now) dresses again in her Clebdecher design dress, clean in spite of everything – magic was so lovely. She leaves her home, telling any servants that she will dine out at Galdin's and expects spend the day out unless she's needed here. She will then depart for Galdin's Garden at the Seventh Tower, hoping the young man keeps the appointment.
    Last edited by Meek; 2008-07-10 at 11:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Konnor likewise wakes up early and cleans up with magic, and decides to use the new outfit. I'll fit in better, and they'll last longer if I alternate anyway.

Before that, though, he carefully rewraps his shoulder with the cleaned bandage, and his right forearm with the new one. Note to self: No getting stabbed today. When he's done, he puts the new outfit on over the bandages, which he notes with some irritation fails to cover his forearm bandage. It does look good though, and alot like the local dress on at least some of the people he passed in the street.

Though how well I'll fit in at a place like Galdin's, the way I've heard people talking about it, remains to be seen.

Konnor checks his equipment before he heads out. He comes upon his notes and tucks them away into one of his many belt pouches for later. When he finds the remnants of the spider tracker, he hesitates. Better to test this now...

A fragment of an idea had occured to Konnor on the skycoach, which is why he had collected and kept the spider pieces that had fallen from Jerrik. During the night, as he was trying to get to sleep, he had finally realized what it was he wanted to try - remembered, really, because he had wanted to try it since he'd heard of spider trackers at the Cannith announcement.

Collecting all of the pieces into his hand, he closes his fist around them. A brief surge of magic later, and his hand unfolds to show a complete, but completely lifeless, spider tracker. He pokes it with his left finger to see if it responds... If this works like every other magic item, I now have a nonmagical, but perfectly realistic fake tracker.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure I can do this with make whole. If I can't, then my apologies, and I won't take offense if the thing just falls apart again.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The spider is restored to normal, but does not operate. This does confirm one small thing, that the spider trackers are not construct creatures, but merely magic items.