New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Principality of Valorium. [IC]

Andrew shakes his head, and gives Tanstafaal a pat on his shoulder, "Ten years from now, I'll help you and yours build a house here. No need for coin; just faith and good will."

The Golden Strings-Anyone may choose to be present
    Spoiler
    Show

The Golden Strings Inn sits on the west side of town. From a distance, it looks like a lonely sentry to the village. A small spire pokes out of the north side of the building. The spire hosts four spacious windows, a small seat and pedestal.

The inside of the Golden Strings is lavishly devorated. A warm light embellishes the unblemished hardwood floors, fanciful tables for two are set up all about. The scent of fresh brewed tea mingles with fresh cut lavender flowers. Banners, woven of silk and gold hang from ceiling, faming several oil paintings of lush scenery, inspiring kings, warriors, and knights of the past, and of course, Mistress Srikun herself.

She sits at one of the tables for two, with a black-lace parasol set beside her and a steaming tea cup set on a frilly doily. Her faces bares the first signs of age, cleverly masked with oils and pigments. She accentuates her figure with a black, almost sheer dress with soft floral patterns hiding among it's threads. She quickly rises, with brisk steps barring your entrance to the Inn.

She extends her smooth, melodic voice, "Welcome to the Golden Strings, Traveler. What.. Pleasures do you seek so early this morning?"

With a laugh, she provides some booties to cover your feet, and requests that you brush the dust and blood off of you before entering, "Ah! My antiques. They are such wonderful things.. I would be glad to show you; provided you pay the 7 coin fee.. which will go to your purchase, if you make one."

Assuming you do, and you put on the booties, she'll show you up to a small room, full of goblets, frilly dresses, old bottles of wine, and various magical things.

A faux-gold crown, with half a faceplate.
    Spoiler
    Show

This crown is pale gold in color, with bits of wood visible on the inside rim. Decorated glass "Jewels" line the edges, and firmly locked into the brim is half of a faceplate, depicting a laughing man in faux-gold paint.
    It radiates a moderate amount of divination magic if detected

"This is one of my quainter oddities. It is sadly, incomplete. I would be very willing to have someone track down the other half.. or rid my collection of it completely. It was formerly owned by a two-man entertaining group. Turns out that their show fell to shambles when a halfling stole both masks; the performers couldn't get their timing down near as well, as when they had these.. For the price of 150 coins, I would be willing to part ways with it. I would certainly pay double that, for the missing counterpart."

A woman's locket.
    Spoiler
    Show

This heart-shaped locket is wrought of fine silver. It is completely untarnished, and it's chain emulates the pattern of spiderwebs. The locked itself delicately opens, but is currently empty.
    Faint divination
    "A young woman who stayed here, alone, left this on her departure. I have never seen a such a dismal looking girl; She came to Re-marr, wearing her finest clothes to meet a certain gentleman. She left, all disheveled and afluster, leaving this behind. For.. 1000 coins, or suitable equivalent, It may be yours. The name of the man, is a different bargain, however."

She goes on to show you some other wares, and her small little observatory in the northern spire.

Any one magical item, up to 8000 gp, can be found here. Proposed trades will be weighed individually.
    Last edited by Glyphic; 2008-09-10 at 10:37 PM.
    Lyra Corvis- Avy done by Mechafox(Thanks!)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Blessed blade slashed spectral smoke
    Asunder rent, foeman's armour
    An arm hangs now limp

Highlander's claymore dripped with gore
    Made he ready, that head to cleave
    As did his hallowed heart so heave

With sinful strength of dark despair
    Blazed forth and deep did delve
    Western woe's blade of blood

Foul daemon-blood there blazed
    From that sorrow-sword
    That felled Soren

Just craven cold stole all flesh away
    The wound burned not with pain
    No death's agony felt he

To a black abyss he fell, forever falling
    All dark the world, bereft of light
    Yet twas no hell, no devils' dell

Slow there shifted, black to glowing grey
    A flame there fell and about him blazed
    Light he had, the light of faith

This was his god or a spark thereof
    Come through strange planes
    Fear shall he not

Voices there spoke of blood and birth
    Of golden goals and singing strings
    Of scarlet-stained snow

A warmth unfelt by that shivering boy
    A love nevermore on earth be seen
    In that cold, cold morn

((To be continued))
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glyphic View Post
    The Golden Strings

The inside of the Golden Strings is lavishly devorated. A warm light embellishes the unblemished hardwood floors, fanciful tables for two are set up all about. The scent of fresh brewed tea mingles with fresh cut lavender flowers. Banners, woven of silk and gold hang from ceiling, faming several oil paintings of lush scenery, inspiring kings, warriors, and knights of the past, and of course, Mistress Srikun herself.
    Caleun Tranil

Taking a break while he waits for Soren and Trevor to take a look at the prisoners, Caleun decides to pay a visit to this collector of magical goods. As he approaches, he notes, through the ample windows, the carefully kept teashop. Stopping for a second, he takes a good look at himself, covered in blood and grime, and with severl cuts and bruises. His clothes fared even worse in the fight, particularly the cloak. With a sigh, he pats off what he can and then, with a look of concentration, he invokes the power of the hat, which manages to hide the rest. Looking more appropiately clad, he strodes confidently to the door, and politely attracts the attention of the owner

She extends her smooth, melodic voice, "Welcome to the Golden Strings, Traveler. What.. Pleasures do you seek so early this morning?"

With a laugh, she provides some booties to cover your feet, and requests that you brush the dust and blood off of you before entering, "Ah! My antiques. They are such wonderful things.. I would be glad to show you; provided you pay the 7 coin fee.. which will go to your purchase, if you make one."
    "Good morning to you too, mylady," answers Caleun with a smile and a twinkle of his eyes, "I am indeed interested in your antiques - I have heard they are a wonder to behold - but I must say, now that I am here, that I doubt I will be finding anything more beautiful than what is already before me [1]"

While making some more small talk, Caleun fishes out a few coins from his pouch, and passes them over to Mistress Srikun. "Shall we proceed to the collection?" he says, offering her his arm and beaming his most charming smile

A faux-gold crown, with half a faceplate.
    Spoiler
    Show

This crown is pale gold in color, with bits of wood visible on the inside rim. Decorated glass "Jewels" line the edges, and firmly locked into the brim is half of a faceplate, depicting a laughing man in faux-gold paint.
    It radiates a moderate amount of divination magic if detected

"This is one of my quainter oddities. It is sadly, incomplete. I would be very willing to have someone track down the other half.. or rid my collection of it completely. It was formerly owned by a two-man entertaining group. Turns out that their show fell to shambles when a halfling stole both masks; the performers couldn't get their timing down near as well, as when they had these.. For the price of 150 coins, I would be willing to part ways with it. I would certainly pay double that, for the missing counterpart."
    "Fascinating," says Caleun, his interest clear in his voice. "A pair of entertainers, you say? Did you ever watch their act? Was it acting or maybe juggling? Remarkable story. I must say it is always the danger of relying in magic for anything - the body comes to rely too much on it, and devoid of its crutch it can no longer keep it up. I would love to see the pair used in conjunction again. Do you have any information on this halfling? Maybe I will cross paths with him - traveling across Valorium is likely to be my fate for the foresable future. Do the masks work at all when separate?"

A woman's locket.
    Spoiler
    Show

This heart-shaped locket is wrought of fine silver. It is completely untarnished, and it's chain emulates the pattern of spiderwebs. The locked itself delicately opens, but is currently empty.
    Faint divination
    "A young woman who stayed here, alone, left this on her departure. I have never seen a such a dismal looking girl; She came to Re-marr, wearing her finest clothes to meet a certain gentleman. She left, all disheveled and afluster, leaving this behind. For.. 1000 coins, or suitable equivalent, It may be yours. The name of the man, is a different bargain, however."
    "A tragic story, one heard too often in this world," answers Caleun, politely, "However, that is a hefty pricetag for what is, admitedly, a beautiful casting, but have you any clue what its properties are? I am afraid my current hazardous circumstances do not allow me to purchase objects for their beuty alone, as I once did. I see a patter of spiderweb - might that be a clue to is magical properties?"

Caleun remains in the shop some time, taking a good look at the collection of objects and hapily becoming better aquainted with Mistress Srikun

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show

[1] Not too sure where I'm going with this - but maybe all the flirting will get Caleun's entrance money back, or maybe a discount, or at least a bit of fun . But it fits Caleun's character too well not to go for it.
    [roll0] - see next post
    The flirting is meant to be throughout the whole time together. Maybe multiple checks would be appropiate.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2008-09-11 at 02:38 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show

Not too sure where I'm going with this - but maybe all the flirting will get Caleun's entrance money back, or maybe a discount, or at least a bit of fun . But it fits Caleun's character too well not to go for it.
    (badly formed roll)
    I always forget I cannot preview when I want to roll. Sorry for that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flirt - (1d20+7)[19]
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

5. - Top - End - #245

The Mistress plucks a few of the more wanted wares, holding them close to her bosom. With a flash of a smile, she 'asks' if you'd like to join her for tea. She locks the little nook behind her, and motions with her free hand to the tables set about. A few minutes pass, before she returns with the items, and a rather stark-tasting cup of black tea for those gracing her Inn.

"Mm.. Memory serves me; the two entertainers danced their way from Dee-lee-ta to Occulous. Their brand of acrobatic-infused two man dramas relied heavily on ironies; each man had several parts and personas; timing had to be precise on all accounts." A faint color rises in her cheeks, "I would place an equal emphasis on Sisko's marvelous face and the definition of his.." She hides her lips behind her cup, before continuing, "The halfling that stole the show from underfoot lived in Occulous. He never arrived in this hamlet; if he flew to safer skies at all."

"That circlet, is of course still functional; as long as another has found it's mate."
    With that, she sets the circlet aside, and sips from her cup again. She then picks up the locket, smoothly lifting it to her collar and snaps it on.

Her finger then traces the chain of the locket, a sigh falling from her lips, "The young girl had the unfortunate condition of self doubt, and a history of falling into troublesome situations. I place this locket's worth at easing those burden's of the mind, and forecasting such conundrums." She turns her eyes, taking a moment to look into the gaze of each person present, "But it is of little help, if it is another who is being unfaithful."

The conversation turns to a few other items and gems of interest, as the tea slowly disappears.

Spoiler
    Show
    reminder: she'll sell/trade one item of up to 8000 gold value. (not per party member).
    Last edited by Glyphic; 2008-09-11 at 11:03 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Soren Solaren...is baaaaackk...

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus-R.C._Mina View Post
    Blessed blade slashed spectral smoke
    Asunder rent, foeman's armour
    An arm hangs now limp

Highlander's claymore dripped with gore
    Made he ready, that head to cleave
    As did his hallowed heart so heave

With sinful strength of dark despair
    Blazed forth and deep did delve
    Western woe's blade of blood

Foul daemon-blood there blazed
    From that sorrow-sword
    That felled Soren

Just craven cold stole all flesh away
    The wound burned not with pain
    No death's agony felt he

To a black abyss he fell, forever falling
    All dark the world, bereft of light
    Yet twas no hell, no devils' dell

Slow there shifted, black to glowing grey
    A flame there fell and about him blazed
    Light he had, the light of faith

This was his god or a spark thereof
    Come through strange planes
    Fear shall he not

Voices there spoke of blood and birth
    Of golden goals and singing strings
    Of scarlet-stained snow

A warmth unfelt by that shivering boy
    A love nevermore on earth be seen
    In that cold, cold morn

((To be continued))
    In the lowlands lay no home for him
    Only the road that wound ever on
    No true hearth unmoving

Treading precipice keen as blackest night
    World fell again to fathomless dark
    On a knife's edge stood he

Long the path he walked with bleeding soles
    As daemons licked the dripping blood
    And hackled in their horrid hordes

He wandered the wastes a-withering
    Naked but for his searing sword
    Far he fared with burning soul

Unwavering, he marched uncounted miles,
    Walked the waters of the sanguine sea
    The froth was seething sulfur

High they rose and livid loomed
    The waves were of blood,
    The tides of terror

With tentacles and corrupting claws clung they on
    The thousands of shadowspawned shades
    His soul stood strong, his faith held fast

For every one he slew, a hundred more filled the breach
    Weariness set in, profound in strength-sapping might
    His sinews withered and he fell

Ghastly the festering mortal wound that he espied
    When Soren fell to the serpent's sepulchre
    With coils horizon-great

Darkness loomed as his sword rusted away in his hands
    But song there arose and banished blight
    A song sublime summoned his soul

Pu'ur's eye glared gladly from heaven above
    Breath to his nostrils came
    Light, his eyes did greet

A song of souls filled the air
    Singing hymns of healing
    Chants of remaking

Suddenly from the blue sky
    Lightnings there flashed
    Soren arose transfixed

Flame from heaven, crimson, gold and white the hues
    Blazed down through steel and flesh and blood
    A sacred scream tore through those of Pu'ur

Twelve folk arise, their eyes afire, their souls singing
    Many are their trades--- farmer, weaver, smith
    Singer, scribe and soldier...

Twelve folk arise, their blood hailing varied lineage
    To green glades hark some, mountains others
    But by fire they are all called

Spring they forth with speech of multitudes
    In one breath, such power tumbles forth
    Words of Heaven and words of Hell

The parched land births blessed abundance
    Grass and grain grow green and gold
    A moment springs rich harvest

Rises to paradise, by spark and flame and ember
    Shifts and stands, no longer mortal bleeding
    The valiant Gerald, the mighty mayor

Thunder rumbles and the fire dims
    White gleams his throat's scar
    Soren stirs and stands

Alvukshta's fair voice ceases its singing
    Flame flows on flame as they kiss
    Sudden stops the song

Dostt's blessed book bursts ablaze
    Every word and every phrase
    Into his soul a-searing

In a voice barely beyond a whisper
    His lips from beloved's part
    Then speak, "Doom..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Please correct me if I am mistaken. How many are there? I remember that you said Re-marr had forty-some residents with one-fourth converted?

Also, sorry if I may have missed my verb tenses in some spots...

Hmm... I suppose it would be going too far if Gerald suddenly resurrected?

And if I do say so myself... Oh screaming ironic thankless prophet! First thing ya say after comin' back from the dead is "Doom..."? Blast ye!
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-09-13 at 02:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247

Those dedicated and faithful to Pu'ur find themselves transfixes with amazed piety, finding their voices replaces with the crackle of a divine fire. A few Troglodytes find their scales glazed and branded with harmless flame, including Bethany, who's eyes brighten to vivid, burning orange. Off to the side, Leen, Vir-ra, and the rest of the Troglodytes stand with contempt, caution, or fear. Vir-ra clutches Leen's leg as she pained yowl to the chorus of the pious.

Dostt, the portly man on stage with fire-streaked hair, stands with his mouth open as his holy book turns to ash and floats into a brisk breeze.. The zephyr of flame-crumbled parchment and spine swirls above the crowd, before swallowing Soren's righteous Claymore and Brannis's blade, tearing both from this realm.

Dostt falls to one knee, pushed by the wind. He lifts both hands, his plams lying flat. His lips move, his voice unearthly and crackling with energy, "With fire, so we shall see through the darkest of nights."

Reforged and hot, Soren's claymore forms in Dostt's hands, a wreath of orange and red flames dancing on the blade.

Spoiler
    Show

Maaajor Kudos on your Writing, Nexus. Truely a delight to read. :)

Oh, yes. +1 Flaming Greatsword. Adds 1d6 of fire damage per hit.

8. - Top - End - #248

A few viligers linger outside of Gerald's manor, talking in hushed voices to each other. As you make your approach, they look over with hopeful eyes. They pass a few religious baubles and charms your way, as they quietly murmur their thanks. They disperse, but make sure to note that no-one has entered or exited.

The manor house is just as you left it, dust gathering in odd nooks. Pas the foyer, and into the dining room where breakfast for one sits, and grows colder. In a side chair sits the Gem of Re-marr, Adaliade. She's wearing the same gown you last saw her in, woven of blue-hued textile, and a novella lays open in her lap. She presses her lips inro small, toothless smile, "Oh, hello there. I'm sorry to say, Gerald left, not long ago..." She closes the small booklet, and lifts her gaze to you, her movements gentle as a doe, "I've... I've a feeling he will be joining me soon."
    Last edited by Glyphic; 2008-09-17 at 12:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

All around, the true believers still speak in tongues, spouting prophecies, singing otherworldly hymns and spewing miracles...

"Pu'ur burns away all darkness and impurity" Soren replies to Dostt with thundering voice. He reverently takes the sword from his friend's hands, lifts it to his face, kisses the quillions, then touches the tip to Dostt's forehead. There blooms a pinprick of flame and it opens into a white-hot eye set in the man's forehead. Soren here declares, "You are a sage and a scribe, Dosst. Pu'ur chose you to be a vessel for the purging of ignorance, for the spreading of enlightenment. May your light shine through this coming long night, your mighty mind and your ever-seeing eyes providing guidance for those who are lost"

The ashes of the Book of Fire arise from a field of fresh flowers and green grass. Grey motes swirl in the air, borne by winds ethereal. The swirling grows faster, moving into a horizontal vortex, ever-tightening. In less than a minute, the swirling stops as a long spear wrought of solidified ash, the haft seeming pliant yet strong as old hardwood. From the tip drips burning ink. A few prime pages fly, floating about the priest's head, sacred scripture glowing in red-hot ink that does not burn the papers... A corner of Soren's lips curls up in a smile and he says, "Lead the church well, Deacon Dostt"

Soren puts his right hand on the bard Alvuskshta's shoulder, his smile slowly widening in sorrow as he shakes his head. Their foreheads meet, her golden locks meshed with his red-black ones and he whispers her, "Doom draws nigh, my love. I fear that soon, my Call will consume me and that all that shall be left of my pitiful form would be ash and dust. Things are moving, 'Shta, and unless stopped, the land will be consumed in a tide of nameless horrors older than creation itself"

Soren's sword sinks into a nearby stone just as he sinks to his knees before her, taking her hands in his. Trembling, he lifts those fair fingers and kisses the knuckles, saying, "Please, please for the good of the people here, for your sake, please stay and be safe. Let your soul sing on, 'Shta, bringing hope to the despairing, bringing light and laughter to the dour and drear. I love you, milady Alvukshta, by spark and blaze and ember, I love you... Aure entuluva, Tinuviel"

Gathering himself, Soren then stands, lifting the blazing blade high. His voice thunders across the commons. "Followers of Pu'ur, staunch citizens of Re-marr! By spark and blaze and ember, have faith! Though our beloved Gerald no longer walks this earth with us, we will treasure his memory and let his old thoughts and deeds burn on like a beacon of hope through our lives. Beware, for the forces of darkness are once more on the move. But have faith and fight, my beloved comrades! Though we are few, if we stand together, we are strong! I and my companions shall have to leave soon, to stop the problem at its roots and knock on Helgates, if need be... Though this may be the case, comrades, I will always be with you. The light of Pu'ur shall always be with you, his flame guiding and guarding you, by spark and blaze and ember!"
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2008-09-17 at 02:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Trevor

Trevor kneels down beside Adaliade. "My lady," he says gently, "I fear I have to bear ill news. As we returned to Re-Marr, we found members of the Flame already here. With cruel and premeditated intent, Gerald and several of the villagers were attacked.

"We intervened, but were unable to reach Gerald in time. I am very sorry to have to tell you this, but he has passed beyond this realm.

"Little comfort though it may be, we saved the village from destruction, and have apprehended the villain who killed Gerald. Tell me what you will have done with the murderer, and I will see it happen."

Spoiler
    Show

Trevor also checks for anything unusual about Adaliade, based on Tasntafaal's concerns. Feel free to make any appropriate perception and/or social rolls for me.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Her finger then traces the chain of the locket, a sigh falling from her lips, "The young girl had the unfortunate condition of self doubt, and a history of falling into troublesome situations. I place this locket's worth at easing those burden's of the mind, and forecasting such conundrums." She turns her eyes, taking a moment to look into the gaze of each person present, "But it is of little help, if it is another who is being unfaithful."
    Caleun Tranil

"Ease burdens of the mind, you say?" Caleun asks -rethorically- while leaning forward to stare into Mistress Srikun's eyes, "Absolutely fascinating. I think I may just have found what I was looking for. I always say, when shopping, you may not know what it is you want, but you can always tell when you see it. Pray, tell, mylady, what can I offer you in exchange for this locket?"

Caleun then proceeds to politely haggle the price. Once determined what he would give in exchange, Caleun continues, "Now, you mentioned before that knowing the name of the dastardly gentleman would take further negotiation. I may need convincing that knowing such name would be worth paying for, though, since I have known too many 'gentlemen' of his kind, and one is pretty much the same as the next. How about I invite you to dinner, Mistress Srikun, and we talk it over a nice meal? I am sure we can find somewhere quiet to discuss what I can give you of equal value to the gritty details" he finishes with a smile and a promising wink.

Notes:
    Spoiler
    Show

If Mistress Srikun doesn't want simply jewels and such, Caleun will offer the elf bane weapon, since no-one in the party seems interested in wielding it.

12. - Top - End - #252

Soren's voice echoes as is flitters through the pores of the lonely manor house, the passion of his message undiminished as it fades into silence. A chorus of determined crys and pledges ring out, "Pu'ur will light the way!"

Adaliade stiffens as Trevor kneels beside her. She shifts in her chair, inching away from the Warlock's gaze. A wave of her hand smooths her dress, and her eyes fall to her lap. In the pursuing silence, the scuffle of a mouse in the study. Adaliade aims her eyes at Trevor and flashes a near-perfect smile, "Our hearts in Re-marr, are forged large, to hold each dream, and hard to carry the burden of this world. Our care and community keep each heart warm. I will talk with Gerald, of this crestfallen event." Her hand crisply folds her book closed, and sets it on the table beside her. It wobbles in her uncertain grasp. "I remember your face and visage, but not your name. Would you like a small morsel to keep you until Gerald returns?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    With detect magic, you notice that she'd radiating a Strong amount of Illusion magic.

The mistress offers a smattering laugh, stirring the last bit of tea in her cup, "Following your shopper's eye, I couldn't fathom what it is I want from you until the moment I see it. All that glitters is not always gold, they proclaim." She slides the locket from her decollete, and wraps it in a small square of silk. "You'll find, Mister Tranil, that scandal in a small community is hard to hide. Knowing isn't near the same commodity as lies. You've found the price of your next prey..When will we next share a table?"

Spoiler
    Show
    She's perfectly happy to take the gems- saying they'd make fine eyes for a statue. Also, the Elf-bane weapon dissolved, becoming Soren's new blade.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Soren Solaren

Spoiler
    Show
    Hmm. Darn. I'm not good at saying goodbyes.

Suddenly, Soren feels a disturbance in the weave of spirits... it is not quite the taint of evil but still bears some unfathomable anomaly. His gaze darkens as he buckles back on his weapons.

He understands it not and does not even know precisely where it comes from. Soren stands and says to the two prime ministers of his church in Re-marr, "Be well. Take care of the town's supplies, defenses and spirits. I do not know if ever I can be with you once more in the flesh but in spirit, by spark and blaze and ember I shall always be with you"

With that, he marches off and, faced with the choice of going to either the manor or the inn, he goes with the need to inform Gerald's wife that her husband has died doing his duty. He pushes the doors open and the light within and without glints on the light grey scar across his throat where Brannis' blade had only recently blasted through. "Ahem. I regret to inform you, madam, but Gerald has joined the choir eternal"

14. - Top - End - #254

Trevor

Trevor glares at Soren. "I think I beat you to it." He then adds in a lower tone, "not that it seems to have mattered much. She seems to have taken the news... rather well." With his eyes he tries to send a signal that they should continue the discussion outside.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Soren Solaren

Soren blinks bemusedly, surprised by this turn of events. His brow furrows as he scratches his neck. Following the hint, he steps back outside, onto the porch, but not before letting his senses slip back into the spirit-sight to see whether Adelaide is tainted by a corruption of some sort.

Spoiler
    Show

Detect Evil, full spread on the room, centred on Adelaide.

He then tightens his scabbard's strap and also in the same motion motioning for Trevor to follow and continue the conversation outside.

16. - Top - End - #256

Trevor

Trevor takes his leave and joins Soren outside. "I gave her the news, and it seemed to shock her. But only for a moment... she then suddenly appeared to have forgotten all about it.

"What's more, there is something very unusual going on here. I can sense a significant amount of illusion auras around her."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

The mistress offers a smattering laugh, stirring the last bit of tea in her cup, "Following your shopper's eye, I couldn't fathom what it is I want from you until the moment I see it. All that glitters is not always gold, they proclaim." She slides the locket from her decollete, and wraps it in a small square of silk. "You'll find, Mister Tranil, that scandal in a small community is hard to hide. Knowing isn't near the same commodity as lies. You've found the price of your next prey..When will we next share a table?"
    Caleun Tranil

Some time later, Caleun leaves the company of the mistress, with a broad smile of satisfaction on his face, a clear spring in his step and clothes and hair mussed. "That was certainly enlightening" thinks Caleun to himself, "and a wonderful way to remove the bad taste of battle from my mouth. Now I need to figure out how best to use what she has taught me. Well, the more mundane things, anyway. The other bits, I think I won't have a problem applying them in the future...". Snapping on his new pendant, Caleun goes towards the town square, to see if he can figure out what has been going on in his absence.

Notes:
    Spoiler
    Show

As agreed with Glyphic, I'll be keeping Caluen's "conquests" low key (not that I expect them to happen all that often). Nonetheless, if anyone has a problem with this, even in its present form, don't hesitate to PM me with your concerns.

18. - Top - End - #258

Adaliade shows Trevor to the door as he makes his leave, a pleasant smile lighting her face, "Please, do visit again soon." A musky scent emanates from Gerald's study as you pass it. She smiles at Soren with a more familiar smile, greeting him by name and murmuring a small prayer to Pu'ur. With a creak, she leaves the door half-open, and her dainty footfalls fade as she returns to her armchair.

Out in the commons, many of the Towns folk have dispersed, returning to their daily toils, but not without heavy hearts. A number of Soren's flock remain, talking with each other and a few of the Troglodytes, each party reserved and awkward. Leen catches up with Caleun, her speed intent. With a loping grasp, she cates his arm with a softened grip, "Which plumed man leads here? Or is to lead?"

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Leen catches up with Caleun, her speed intent. With a loping grasp, she cates his arm with a softened grip, "Which plumed man leads here? Or is to lead?"
    Caleun Tranil

"I cannot tell you, because the people of the village haven't chosen anyone yet," answers Caleun slowly so his meaning is clear, "I can think of several that could be chosen, but it is best if we ask who people want to be their leader. You can come with me, Leen, if you want."

Caleun takes a bit of time to walk around, gathering the opinions of the people still about. He pays particular attention to older members of the community (which are usually respected for their wisdom), to the better off (merchants and others likely to have economic influence) and, of course, Dostt, to see who are the most likely candidates for the position and who is at the forefront. He also takes the time to get a general idea of the kind of men these candidates are, and what are their positions on Pu'ur, the troglodites, the Flame, the prisoners, and other hot topics.

Notes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if these actions require a roll. This would hardly be hidden information, and Caleun -having lived a few weeks in Re-marr- would know the major players already; he is just feeling the situation as it stands at the moment. If, however, some rolls are required, these are the most likely modifiers:
    Gather information +5
    Knowledge (Local) +7
    Diplomacy +12

20. - Top - End - #260

Canvasing the village, Caleun comes across those turning their thoughts to the empty 'throne'. Certainly, there is a rush to find a replacement, if anyone at all, before The Crown appoints its own leader. Leen follows him about, sticking as close as a sorcerer's familiar.

Those that hold Economic power:
    Roke; An aging, brash man with wealth left over from his days in Dee-lee-ta. There, he was Gerald's right hand, helping funnel elves, halflings, and other 'miscreants' away from the polished city streets. He boasts himself as the natural heir, with a fair bit of Bravado. He pledges to continue Gerald's fine work, starting with the adoption of the Cresent Moon clan, and the quiet execution of those captured. HE loudly insists that no Soldier of the flame will stride into Re-marr uncontested or watched, ever again.

Rider; The owner of the general store; knowns the daily fares and seasonal trades of the town, and he also has a familiar banter with all of the citizens. He's a faithful of Pu'ur, and provides lean with a savory chunk of meat to share with her siblings. He's willing to give the soldiers a chance to repent their ways, but knows they chose their fate. He admits, however, that he'd never be able to take another's life on his own.

The Wise
    An aging elf woman has little to share, other than that "The trivial days of King Terrance are over. Re-marr is the first of many battle-fields in a new conquest."

Dostt is a man of the cloth today, but his normal costume is that of a historian and scribe. He's awkward, and stumbles over the occasional syllable. He has a gleam in his eye as he talks of Pu'ur's blessing today, and what it means for the Town of Re'marr; that 'the time of plenty is over, and meager days of hot iron and blood are on on the wings of crows. ' He too, has never wielded blade. He aims to keep the Flame in captivity, and send delegation to Fort Silvanos to discuss today's event, but does not wish to lead the town. With humble words, he stretches his hand to point at whom he thinks should lead...

And his fattened finger indicates Soren's beloved, Alvuskshta.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Soren Solaren

Soren's eyes bug out for a moment and then his brow darkens as he considers Trevor's words. "Illusion, you say? If somebody's using illusion, therefore they're hiding something. That which is hidden is suspect, I daresay... Have ye some way of piercing or looking beyond this illusion?"

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Tasntafaal

overhearing bit of the conversation involving aAdaliade, the elf comes up, quite supecious " I knew there was something on her. maybe she's a witch or something? my bones tells me she has a finger on the recent events... she's at least unnatural, to be so senseless about Gerard's gory death"
    Playing:
    Shoe, the make-belive gun dealer
    Akira, the psichyc warrior

23. - Top - End - #263

Trevor

"I don't... think so." He appears to be thinking and talking at the same time. "As to whether I can penetrate the illusion, that answer is no. I can only detect it."

"I'm not entirely sure Adaliade is even real, if you get what I mean. Maybe... I don't know, maybe the real Adaliade died, or left, or something, and this is just some strange way Gerald chose to cope -- an illusion of a lost love?"

"Or, that really is Adaliade, and she's hiding something. I just don't know..."

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

tanstafaal

"sometimes, blunt is good. What about asking her? I can do that."
    Playing:
    Shoe, the make-belive gun dealer
    Akira, the psichyc warrior