New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default MtA: Sun, Surf, and Shadow

It's the beginning of Summer in Miami, Florida. The city, already a cultural melting pot, is filled with tourists from around the world. It's a frustrating time for the locals, who dislike the travelers, but know they present a necessary cornerstone of their economy.

The local consilium takes great pains to assess and control who and what are coming into the region. However, Miami is home to one of the country's largest seaports, an international airport, and miles of open coastline so this task is a daunting one.

The call comes through in the early part of a hot and humid Tuesday afternoon. The voice on the end of the phone is terse and the message is brief.

"Your consilium has need of your service. Come to the Metro station on Northeast 2nd, downtown. Know that service does not go unrewarded."

You arrive at the station, and the first thing you notice is the police presence. The area is marked off with yellow tape, and patrol cars litter the area. When you arrive, a man wearing jeans and a short sleeved polo shirt ushers you under the tape and up the stairs into the station.

The station is a concrete structure consisting of a covered platform for the loading and unloading of passengers for Miami's above-ground rail system. The walls opposite the rail are riddled with bullet holes, and there are six bodies lying out in various places and positions. Two are burned to death, the walls and ceiling nearest them scorched and blackened. The rest are riddled with bullets.

Nearest the rail is a group of men. Two uniformed police, and a man in a black suit. The man in the polo shirt who ushered you upstairs approaches the group and speaks with the man in the suit, who dismisses the police, and turns to approach you. He's a tall man with immaculate features, tan skin, and shortly styled hair that's jet-black save a streak of white. He inclines his head to each of you in turn.

"Glad to see you could make it. You may call me Eclipse. As you can see we have quite a situation here. When everyone's arrived and introductions made I'll give you the full story."

((I'm going to be using bold-face for all my NPCs. Feel free to use whatever text color you like but leave me the bold.))

OOC Thread
    Last edited by Premsyl; 2008-05-21 at 12:58 PM.
    "If you're going to look to me you'd better get rose colored shades, cause what you see is what you get."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: MtA: Sun, Surf, and Shadow

Hermes

Hermes sits in a chair. He's obviously very tense. Not every day he sees a murder scene.

"I'm Hermes. I'd say more, but this doesn't seem like a 'sharing' time."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

For Alirkar, it had been nearly every day that he saw a murder scene (usually the same one over and over again for a few months at a time, but that little detail hardly mattered) so he was hardly shocked by the presence of bodies.

"Montaenoo." Alrikar said with incredible speed (especially for such a vowely name), "Ento N-Val'Tar" 'Watch the natives'.

"Well, if you can't give us the full story, can we at least get a teaser? Perhaps learn if this story has a love interest, if it is a comedy or a tragedy. That sort of thing," Alrikar asked Eclipse

Alrikar began to circle around the room, flicking his eyes so he would be able to remember this crime-scene from all angles (OOC: he's not investigating, just building a mental map).

OOC: EDIT: Small spelling mistake, and Alrikar wasn't talking to an astrological phenomenon
    Last edited by MinotaurWarrior; 2008-05-21 at 07:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Eclipse shakes his head, taking a silver case from his pocket and taking from it a hand-rolled cigarette. He doesn't offer any to anyone else. He raises it to his lips, pulling a gold-plated zippo from his other pocket. He lights the ciggy and blows a cloud of smoke out over the tracks that gets carried away in the sea breeze. A plane hums by overhead, pulling a banner advertising 2-for-1 hot wings and a bikini contest somewhere.

"I don't know about any of that, except that it didn't have a happy ending. We're still trying to figure out exactly what happened here, which is one of the reasons you're here."

The phone in his pocket begins playing a tinny version of Beethoven's 5th Symphony. He clenches his cigarette in his teeth, digs for it with both hands, finds it, flips it open, and begins speaking quickly and quietly into it.
    Last edited by Premsyl; 2008-05-21 at 07:33 PM.
    "If you're going to look to me you'd better get rose colored shades, cause what you see is what you get."

5. - Top - End - #5

MonkGuy

Alrikar marvels at how Americans will combine an add all about finding attractive women, and an add for a product that, when consumed frequently, will guarantee no woman will ever want to date you.

Suspicious of whispering, Alikar uses Mohammed's Radio (pg. 164, M:tA, int+science+forces, ten dice, got no successes!) to listen in on the conversation, but fails.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Eclipse snaps shut the phone and set back in his pocket. He glances at Alrikar as he drags on his cigarette.

((Please make any further dice rolls Here))

7. - Top - End - #7

Stepping on to the scene with an "Oh, god," Morpheus's jaw drops, and then averts his eyes. After a few awkward moments, as everyone seems to be waiting quietly, he slowly slumps into a sitting position next to a wall, eyes now fixed on the corpses and bearing a solemn expression.

8. - Top - End - #8

Wearing his longer leather coat despite the hot day, Erwin wondered why he in particular had been told to join in the investigation. When shuffled through the police barricade, Erwin pulled his coat further around him, trying to avoid being noticed by the gathering group. Upon seeing the bodies, Erwin was more preoccupied with avoiding attention than concerning himself with the vulgar state of two of the bodies.

As Eclipse spoke, Erwin finally noticed the bodies and the oddity of their deaths. Cocking his head to the side, he took a few steps to move up wind of Eclipse peering at the bodies. "Well whatever happened, its good that they had some talent else we could have a real mess."
    Still here, just a little busy to social post

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by: drKarling, The_Chilli_God and The_Chilli_God

9. - Top - End - #9

MonkGuy

"Tell me, do you shoot cockroaches with a gun? No. If these people had been weaker, than their would be far less violence, for the murderer," Alrikar pauses, then adds a 's' sound, "would not of needed to bring out fire weapons, nor would it have had to shoot these people so many times. If they had been stronger, even more violent measures would of been needed. Perhaps you think that there was more than one attacker, in which case perhaps you aren't such an imbecile after all, but in order to immolate somebody, you must, as an individual, have a great deal of power. Such a person would only be held back by the 'aid' of lesser people, and if there had been multiple attackers capable of doing such damage, well, this place wouldn't be so messy. I believe that my 's' earlier was erroneous, this was a crazed, but powerful individual taking on a group by himself. A terrorist of some kind"

10. - Top - End - #10

Morpheus speaks, "As fun as playing amateur sleuth can be, I'd rather cut to the chase. Particularly when some are dead, and there can yet be more." He eyes the others present. "I don't think there's any reason to hide what we know here," he says, pausing. "But, do any of you understand the nuances of time?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The two uniformed policemen pass by on their way to the stairs down from the station landing, shooting a glance at you as they pass. As they reach the stairs, one leans in to the other and says something, looking over his shoulder at you. The other one just shrugs as they continue down the stairs together. Now it is just Eclipse, his man in the polo shirt, and you on the landing.

Eclipse mashes out his cigarette in a nearby ashtray before walking over to you. "I'm gonna go ahead and brief you as to what's going on and you can handle filling in any latecomers. We have witness accounts and a surveillance video that doesn't reveal much, considering they both had their faces hidden. We know there were two of them, we know they came off the train, both were armed with automatic weapons, and at least one of them was a willworker. Forces adept." He gestures at the burn marks. "It's a wonder we're not swimming in paradox, considering every witness we have is a sleeper." His cellphone rings again, more Beethoven. He takes it from his pocket, looks at the screen, and hits ignore. He puts it back in his pocket. "Their purpose was the kidnapping of a man called Arcadius. A provost. Mysterium. Those were his bodyguards." He points at one of the charred bodies, then at another in the center of the splayed bodies, and then at one more nearest the stairs. "The attackers escaped down the stairs and into a waiting vehicle, white early to mid '90s Astro van. We don't know if Arcadius was injured in the attack, but this shooting isn't exactly surgical so it's not unlikely." He pauses, taking a deep breath, reaching back into his pocket for his cigarette case. "We're obviously dealing with some intense people, here. At least three dangerous individuals with no regard for human life or invoking paradox." He lights the cigarette and pulls on it They haven't contacted us yet. The council wants you to perform an initial investigation into what happened here, who did this, why they did it, and where they are now. Some of you are relatively new to the city, and you're all a little green around the ears if you ask me. We're strapped for manpower, though, and I guess a few of you know some people who know some people so there you go." He taps the ash from his cigarette "Any questions, so far?"

12. - Top - End - #12

At Alrikars rebuttal, Erwin backed away, pulling his coat back around him again, wishing he was back in his lab or his sanctum doing research. Hearing Morpheus put emphasis on time, he raised his head back up, paying attention once more.
    When Eclipse paused for questions, Erwin finally spoke again, cautiously. "Uh, what was the exact time the shooting happened?, I can look back through the veil. Not well but might be able to glimpse something if I have the exact time."

Upon hearing the time (If he does), Erwin reached into his pocket and pulling out his pocket watch, he swung it back and forth a few times like a pendulum muttering under his breath. After a few seconds of this he lifted his head up and turned to face the others saying, "I don't seem able to peer through the veil today. Sorry" before pulling his cloak back around him walking a few steps back

You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til you understand who's in ruttin' command here. ~ Jayne Cobb

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Managing to come to terms with the situation better, Morpheus gets up, assuming his powerful demeanor once more. He pats Erwin on the back, "Such is life and magic. Thanks for trying." He then looks to Eclipse, "I do. I know how reclusive some of those Mysterium folks can be, but do you have any records at all on this 'Arcadius'? Anything at all. The first step to this has got to be understanding the motivations of the attackers."

He looks over his shoulder. "I get the distinct impression that we're not all Ladder here," he frowns for a moment, but it quickly fades. "If any of you are Mysterium, I have the same request of you."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

When Erwin asks him for the time, he answers "It was exactly quarter past noon. The train was right on time."

Eclipse frowns when Erwin's spellcasting fails. He turns to Morpheus, reaching into his jacket and bringing forth a sheet of paper. which he hands over to him. "That's the information I could get on this Arcadius. He was a bit of an eccentric. A bit mad from my recknoning. Why the Mysterium put him forward as provost, I'll never know. Powerful, though. I'd imagine whoever took him is taking great pains in keeping him drugged. On that sheet of paper are the addresses of his home, his office downtown, and a storage facility in his name located near the docks. Beyond that there isn't much else I can tell you, and I know I haven't told you much."

The sheet of paper reads thus:
    Spoiler
    Show

Name: Arcadius Hex
    Height: 5'7"
    Skin: Cauc
    Hair: White
    Eyes: Brown
    Build: Light
    Details: Acanthus. Member of the Mysterium for 42 years. Has attained mastery of Time and Space. Eccentric and secretive. Employs a number of loyal sleepwalkers.

Also on the sheet of paper is a list of addresses and phone numbers.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr

As Morpheus turns his head back around, a stocky man hustles up the stairs from the street below, wearing a pair of beat-up brown cargo shorts and rough, wide-necked t-shirt. The uniforms said the people I'm looking for were up here. 'A few funny-dressed folks up by the tracks'. It's funny how our more formal members can make that wizards-among-muggles dross look accurate...

He approached using the hurried not-quite-jog of the latecomer who doesn't want to run in full-bore, but is still self-conscious about his tardiness. "Arcadius? Is that was all this is about?" He looks at the half-dozen bodies lying around the concourse and runs a hand through his short mop of coarse brown hair. "Master Darcan spoke of him before - part-time hermit, spends a lot of time at a swanky place he has out on Star Island. This... this wasn't his doing, though, yes? I'm told he was master of space and time and elsewise hung around with sleepers."
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

16. - Top - End - #16

"Thank you for telling us what you can. There's obviously a lot of pieces to this puzzle to unravel, managing the capture of someone gifted in time and space is no small feat." He looks back over his shoulder at the bodies. "And the fact that it was managed at all bothers me." He looks back. "If you guys don't mind, I want to poke around a bit, I'll be back in a few."

He discretely casts Supernural Vision (3 successes) and begins an extended study of the resonance of the area, in particular trying to gain an impression of what sort of arcana have been employed here a lot. (OOC: Sorry if it resonance doesn't work that way, been about a year since I last read the book through and am still in the middle of recatching up!)

17. - Top - End - #17

Erwin

Smiling appreciatively at Morpheus, he though to himself Time and space, when and where. So much you could do with them

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

MonkGuy

At Morpheus's question Alrikar answers, "I hardly see why I should release any secrets to you," partially because he is a secretive person, and partially because he has no idea who Arcadius is.

When Zephyr answers Morpheus, Alrikar mutters a curse word.

When Morpheus goes off to investigate, Alrikar quietly commands Montaenoo to watch/follow Morpheus.

19. - Top - End - #19

As Montaneoo looks over his shoulder, without looking back Morpheus mutters "Your friend is real charming." A few moments later, he looks at Montaneoo with a distant and blank stare, and says "Hey, since you're here, can you...". He trails off, an eyebrow raised as his gaze remains on the man overseeing him. "I see. Well, nevermind then." He resumes his search.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Morpheus's vision is assaulted with soft lines of color, threading through the area. They seem to make sense to him, however, and he reads that this area is resonates with mostly negative feelings. Impatience, anger, and detached indifference, mostly. Today, however, the concrete structure resonates with a good measure of terror and hysteria.

There's something else, however. The scorched area resonates with forces magic, but it's a bit shady and obscure in an odd way. You're able to determine that the spell was cast at a point near the rail landing. That point also seems a tiny bit off. The area's resonance suggests that the fire spell cast by the attacker was the only spell cast in the area recently.

Finally, Morpheus would be able recognize this willworker's spellcasting, should he encounter it's resonance again.

21. - Top - End - #21

Having come to the conclusion that he has learned all that he can, Morpheus rejoins the group.

"I don't think Arcadius ever managed to get a spell off. If he's as competent as is implied with Time magic, that's pretty impressive." He looks around. "I don't know about you guys, but if whoever we're dealing with has that kind of power, I'm inclined to be as discrete as possible. So, if some of you are going to insist on dressing like action heroes, I'll give you my cell number, and I'll be scoping out a different site."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Hermes

Hermes holds his head as if he has a headache.

"I'm alright with helping the Consilium out, but, really. Half of us here don't know anything about investigation, and we get along about as well as snakes and mongooses. Think I've already lost count of all the insults gone flying across. We really this strapped for manpower in a big city like this?" He gets up from his chair. He doesn't really make any move besides standing, though.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Eclipse looks over to Hermes. "Well, well. I almost forgot you were here. If you want to know the truth... Too bad. What I will tell you though, is that Arcadius isn't exactly popular, and truthfully we're not that concerned with his disappearance so this doesn't rank as top priority. We're more interested in who took him. Also, it's of my opinion that a group as fresh-out-of-bed as you would jump at the chance for consilium work. You help your consilium and your consilium helps you. Or maybe you all already have lavish sanctums, and your pursuit of material and immaterial wealth in this world is run out."

He snickers, then clears his throat.

"Discretion is the word. In case you didn't know our hierarch is a high-ranking Guardian, and the council leans heavily against blatant magical actions. Exceptions can be made." he reaches into his pants pocket, and retrieves a simple business card and a credit card. The business card has an office number, cell phone number, and e-mail address. In the center of the card is an image of a black sun, with the word Eclipse printed in silver in the middle of it. The credit card is a platinum visa. He hands them both to Morpheus. "That credit card has virtually no limit, but we will be monitoring it. Try to stick to the necessities, and be sure to share." He smirks at Morpheus. "I'm sure word will travel, as word tends to, but try to keep quiet. Ask anyone any questions you may have, but try not to give away to much. It stands to keep things mellow, considering how little we still know." He dons a pair of stylish black sunglasses. "Investigate the area as much as you want, take pictures, do a sketch, whatever. The clean-up crew is downstairs waiting on you, though, so try not to take to long. Call me when you get something worth sharing with my superiors. I'm your official contact in the consilium. Unless you have any questions, then I'll talk to you soon."

24. - Top - End - #24

Morpheus watches Eclipse depart, and speaks "Well, I've already got as much out of this place as I'm going to. If anyone else has some ideas, lets get them done fast." He brandishes the credit card. "And then how about we discuss our game plan over lunch?"

25. - Top - End - #25

MonkGuy

Alrikar, not one to trust easily, completes his own resonance evaluation to make sure Morpheus isn't lying, and gets the same results.

"Well, if we're to be a team then I believe a few things are in order, first," Alrikar turns to Montaenoo, "Yl-N-Val'Tar-En-Bo'Ty Ba-N-Kel'To Val'Tar-Pi-Ty'to N-Val'Tar-Ne-Ty'to," (Obey the outsiders who are in this room at this time, but only in body, not in spirit/mind. Obey the Val'Tar first, outsiders second). Alrikar turns to face the group again, Second (and I don't care if you know what I just said or not), I think we should seriously consider the possibility that Arcadius didn't much like the Consilium, and that he may of been taken willingly, perhaps intending to set a trap for some Consilium newbies like ourselves. Thirdly, I think it would be prudent to give me all the important documents, let me memorize them myself, then destroy them. My mind is as perfect as paper, more perfect actually. Finally, before we have lunch, I think we should visit my uncle out in the swamps. He's.... suffice to say that he has skills in this sort of thing.

26. - Top - End - #26

"Paranoia is all good and healthy, until it isn't, friend. I'd prefer to wait until we've at least some reason to have suspicions, otherwise they'll cause us more harm than good." He checks his watch. "Is your uncle far? Maybe we can grab lunch on the way."

He edges closer to Alriker, and mutters to him quietly and with a wry smile. "Incidentally, the memory bit is dually noted. I do envy you for that one."

27. - Top - End - #27

MonkGuy

"As you should. He is not to far, but there are no roads to his home, so finding him could take some time"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Holy crap! Alrikar, Montaenoo, AND Aeonass ALL scare the spoon out of me.
    "Church of the Great undead spirits returned to us from the begining-end through the cyclical time"? You mean TimeCube?

Zephyr

Zephyr gives a quiet snort and frowns his eyebrows as Eclipse dismisses Arcadius' abduction so cavalierly. Eccentric or not, he is a senior member of my order and deserves respect. No more questions come to him, though, so he remains silent as Eclipse departs.
    After Alrikar speaks to Montaenoo, Zephyr mentally adds Bless you.

"The distance is no object. If you tell me more about your uncle, I can see that we find him quickly should we need to. I'm curious how exactly you think he can help us.

"While the consilium generally may not like him, it's a big stretch to say he staged this attack just to spite them or to have a half-dozen of us go poking around his haunts. I think we need to begin by making a list of who might want Arcadius, and who is capable of taking him - and lunch sounds like a good idea."
    He ambles toward the end of the concourse, once everyone's collected themselves and finished eyeing the scene.
    Last edited by Ditto; 2008-05-25 at 07:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

29. - Top - End - #29

MonkGuy

Alrikar quickly draws a thin-sheeted pink pamphlet about 4x7 inches with a few soft illustrations and a lot of crazy bull****, "Directions to uncles compound, along with," Alrikar's voice changes from his usual commanding tone to a childish mocking voice, "Directions to salvation. *Heh*," his voice becomes less mocking, but not quite his usual commanding... it's almost... conversational, "I can't get into why he might be useful around these cops (unless of course I'm secretly suicidal) but let me assure you, he knows a lot about hostages, and people who take them," Alrikar smirks, but then he suddenly looks very upset and his voice loses all familiarity, "Let's leave, and somebody take this damn pamphlet." Alrikar drops the pamphlet (non-violently, he mearly releases his grip), barks something in Val'Tar to Montaenoo, and leaves the crime scene with an air of furious self-loathing.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Hermes

"You really think with all of us being so paranoid that we're going to let you be the only one with regular access to the information? Let someone else hold onto them, and I don't mean your bodyguard or whatever. I'll volunteer, if nobody else cares." He lets the pamhplet hit the ground before picking it up. Nobody's reflexes are that fast. I should probably look at the directions. I can get my bearings easy enough, but at least a glance at the map might help.

"And don't think you're in charge. As it happens, I need to stop somewhere before we head out into the swamps, if that's even a good idea at all. Have to pick up wilderness gear and whatnot. I think the Guardians among you would agree it's best we don't use magic for that unless we have to. Besides, lunch would be nice too."

Hermes sticks close to Morpheus and Zephyr, as long as that's away from Alrikar.

Just my luck. I get a real assignment from the Consilium, and I get grouped in with loons who'd cut off their own hand if it did anything they didn't tell it to. I think I know who to ask for advice, and I hope he's home.