New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Every Playgrounder vs. a Space Marine

This is based on the "The Game: Playgrounders Vs. a Space Marine" thread but modified to include all playgrounders!

The situation:
    You receive a package in the mail letter one day. Inside it is a small cellphone sized object that activates once the package is opened. A holographic recording appears:
    Welcome, your name has been drawn for The Game. You cannot turn down this invitation as your opponent has already been brought to your planet. The Game is about survival, and the only way to win is to bring about the premature death of your opponent. You are not alone on this as every other person who has posted on the Playground has also received this message.
    Here are the rules:
    1. You are not to contact any police or military force about The Game. Doing so will result in immediate vaporization of you and your fellow Playgrounders.
    2. Ten days from now at 1200 GMT you and your fellow competitors will be transported to an unknown, uninhabited mountainous and wooded location to fight against your enemy. Anything you are carrying or wearing will also be transported with you.
    3. Your teams wins if you successfully destroy your opponent's body and gear.
    If you win each survivor will be awarded 500 kilograms of gold. The death of every Playgrounder will result in your opponent's return to it's homeworld.
    Have a nice day.

The cellphone-thingy then morphs into a fully functional and loaded Glock 23 with "The Game" embossed on the side. A small unremovable tattoo with The Game printed in black appears on your wrist.

The parameters of the challenge are as follows:

1. For the purposes of this thread Warhammer 40k as both a novel or wargame don't exist in your world.
    2. The Space Marine is equipped with the following: 1 heavy bolter, 1 chain sword, Generic Power Armor. But he can take as many armor patches, spare parts, ammunition and civilian items as he can carry.
    3. You are not capable of using any of the Space Marine's equipment should you capture it.
    4. Neither you or the Space Marine are aware of who your target is. You are both given very big hints, but nothing truly concrete. The Space Marine is given information regarding earth at the same time you are.

Can you win or will the playground perish?
    Last edited by GoC; 2008-05-22 at 07:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Every Playgrounder vs. a Space Marine

Ten days making cocktails molotovs, and learning how to throw them effeciently. Those babies blow up tanks, and SM still need to breath oxygen last time I checked.

I'll also buy some camouplhage cloacks, or at least don't wear anything too shiny.

The SM, due to the size and colourfull armor, will surely be much easier to spot than me.

Even if I die, the explosion of my molotovs will warn my teammates in a large radius to the location of our comon enemy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Ten days making cocktails molotovs, and learning how to throw them effeciently. Those babies blow up tanks, and SM still need to breath oxygen last time I checked.

I'll also buy some camouplhage cloacks, or at least don't wear anything too shiny.

The SM, due to the size and colourfull armor, will surely be much easier to spot than me.

Even if I die, the explosion of my molotovs will warn my teammates in a large radius to the location of our comon enemy.
    You forgot, flaming is against the forum rules.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

They only blow up tanks if you stick them in an exhaust pipe.

You wanna run up to a tank and stick one in it's exhaust pipe?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Define Carrying.

In about a few minutes before the teleportation, I'll be hanging around a military base, and I'll manage to touch a working tank or a heavy weapon, or even, I'll just touch/hug a weapon storage. I know I can do that without being shipped into an assylum, charisma and intelligence isn't my dump stat (you don't become a freelance journalist without knowing some link/knowing how to bull**** someone).

If it's considered "carrying," the weapon storage will be transported with me for playgrounder's pleasure. Though, chances are nobody know how to use them.
    Last edited by Fri; 2008-05-22 at 11:24 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #6
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

PFFFFT!!!!

They are in WAY over their heads if they think they can take us on!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    3. Your teams wins if you successfully destroy your opponent's body and gear.
    If you win each survivor will be awarded 500 kilograms of gold. The death of every Playgrounder will result in your opponent's return to it's homeworld.
    Have a nice day.
    I have never played Warhammer 40K but I wanted to make an annotation here. If you give that much gold, it will become worthless. Laws of economy.
    So I herd you liek Mudkipz by Mr. Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to both Mr Saturn and B-Man for their avatars!! Antiform Sora, Haloween Sora, Majora's Mask Link, Wolf Link & Midna, KH Sora and Christmas in July Sora

I was a Custom Title ITP!
    Lucky "Guess the Number" quote:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon_Fan View Post
    Great, Radikal fixed the dice...and by fixed, I mean "broke beyond repair and cheats irreparably."

8. - Top - End - #8

Which side are you again :D?

Of course 99% chance I'll be dead. No big deal. My responsibilities are limited just to bring the weaponry.

A single space marine can alter the course of REAL battle, so a bunch of nerd and geek isn't going to do much.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    They only blow up tanks if you stick them in an exhaust pipe.

You wanna run up to a tank and stick one in it's exhaust pipe?
    Ok, maybe blowing up the tank isn't that easy, but killing the crew(or make them come out) is. The burning combustible slips trough all the holes of the tank, turning the vehicle into an oven, making the air inside irresperable and greatly raising the temperature. The crew either comes out or dies painfully.

There's a reason why they are still used today against top technology tanks.

The only real problem is geting close enough to throw it in the first place.

Now a marine has no way of quickly geting out of his armor, so if a molotv hits him he's going down either sufocated or cooked.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Define Carrying.

In about a few minutes before the teleportation, I'll be hanging around a military base, and I'll manage to touch a working tank or a heavy weapon, or even, I'll just touch/hug a weapon storage. I know I can do that without being shipped into an assylum, charisma and intelligence isn't my dump stat (you don't become a freelance journalist without knowing some link/knowing how to bull**** someone).

If it's considered "carrying," the weapon storage will be transported with me for playgrounder's pleasure. Though, chances are nobody know how to use them.
    Carrying is where you are using your own muscle power to lift an object off the ground.
    First post updated so SM gets some flexibility.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would be carrying a huge banner with the words "I'm on your side, Space Marine - For The Emperor!".

I would find an isolated corner of the battlefield and plant the flag, before crouching down, hiding behind what cover I could find.
    Thanks to Andraste for the Void avatar.
    My surviving Exalted homebrew can be found here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bookworm
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Easy. Look at my name. I would eat his soul. Victory playground. Or get into a imperial preist garb, and get a flag akin to Revlid's.
    trill in da playground

13. - Top - End - #13

First: Molotov cocktails do not destroy tanks. You've been playing Grand Theft Auto too much. Secondly, we'd all die.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    First: Molotov cocktails do not destroy tanks. You've been playing Grand Theft Auto too much. Secondly, we'd all die.
    That depends on how smart you are.
    Rocket launchers are hard to get hold off but they'll cause quite a lot of damage. The problem is getting the very experienced supersoldier to come out into the open in front of twenty thousand armed people...

15. - Top - End - #15

O' really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail

Disabling is almost the same as destroying. Wait, it's even better, since a disabled vehcile can be captured and used again.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

As I said earlier, let's just try to lure him in a basement (a very deep one) which would be under a very big building.

Blow up the building in a way it crumble upon itself.

That's the only thing I can think of that could actually kill a space marine with our actual technology, short of tactical missiles.

17. - Top - End - #17

O' really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molotov_cocktail

Disabling is almost the same as destroying. Wait, it's even better, since a disabled vehcile can be captured and used again.
    Wheeeeee, Wikipedia. Find a real source. If a Molotov cocktail's damage looks like this (and, in point of fact, the burn mark is where a hurled Molotov cocktail struck the San Francisco Chronicle building during a protest on November 2, 2005), then I have a hard time believing that a modern armored vehicle would be destroyed. A T-26 maybe, because they suck, but anything designed within the last couple of decades?

It's a moot point anyway; you would get close enough to neither a modern tank nor a Space Marine for one to be of any use.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd calmly explain the implausibilities of the scenario, the space marines, Warhammer 40k, and the technology and 'science' that allows for them all. He will cease to exist.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

We've got 20,000 of us. Eventually the Space Marine will run out of bolter rounds. The chainsword is a problem, but the motor's going to jam eventually, especially if we throw logs at it or some of our pudgier Playgrounders leap upon it. At that point, the Marine will be armed with nothing more than incredible strength and metal fists. And at that point, there'll probably be a few hundred Playgrounders left - more than enough to pin him down, pry his helmet off with screwdrivers and crowbars, and put sharp pieces of metal into his neck.

Or would you prefer something less horrible than the brute-force solution? Oh, fine. Enough of us probably know how to make poisonous gases and clouds of flaming liquid that we could keep the SM in an inhospitable environment until he runs out of air. Alternately, since it's a wooded area, we could hide in trees and drop logs on him whenever he passes under. Granted, he could dodge a lot of them, and probably wouldn't fall into such a simple trap in the first place, but it's a wooded area. Everyone messes up eventually. While catapults wouldn't work very well in dense woods, we could have some of our engineering-inclined members set up in a clearing. Throw lots of heavy objects at the SM when he starts to charge them, and have people mob him and pry his armor off when he gets knocked down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
    As I said earlier, let's just try to lure him in a basement (a very deep one) which would be under a very big building.

Blow up the building in a way it crumble upon itself.

That's the only thing I can think of that could actually kill a space marine with our actual technology, short of tactical missiles.
    That would be difficult given that you're in the middle of a forest/jungle and miles from civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    We've got 20,000 of us. Eventually the Space Marine will run out of bolter rounds.
    He can take as much ammo as he can carry. Granted it's still not going to be enough and you could destroy his ammo stockpile but even so...
    Last edited by GoC; 2008-05-22 at 01:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

It's a moot point anyway; you would get close enough to neither a modern tank nor a Space Marine for one to be of any use.
    Say hello to my 20.000 meat shields distractions fellow playgrounders.

Space marines are tough and all, but I still have to hear of one who has batled 20.000 human sized enemies at the same time and whitout backup and managed to kill them all.

Also, it's funny that you claim that your image out of nowhere is "more real" than my wikipedia article.

22. - Top - End - #22

Judging by sheer numbers we could do it, and odds are a bunch of us have some form of traning(firearms, martial arts, odds are we have some military men among us,), we send in pixies first, zerg rushing him, all those bullets would to some damage and weapons jam or overheat eventually. Add to that we can bring any other weapons we can carry(a few thousand people carying weapons is a lot), grap onto some light vehicle(two playgrounders lifting), or another person(human chain) and no way he's winning.

It's all a matter of stealing from the weak playgrounders so you get more gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

23. - Top - End - #23

So, as a bugbear, what position do we get?

I volunteer myself to aim any heavy artilery we can get our hands on.

Actually, now that I think about it, it shouldn't be too hard for each of us to grab some kind of rocket launcher or RPG at the last second. Sure, most of us won't know how to use them, but hey, if we all shoot at the same time some of the explosives are bound to hit the SM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bring lots of official-looking multicoloured forms, a desk, and several hundred line separators.
    When everyone arrives we set up the desk and line separators, and all 20,000 of us queue up.
    Send someone to meet the Space Marine, and tell him that before he starts killing he must fill out the correct forms for a visit to earth.
    By the time he has gotten to the desk through the queue, he will be told he has filled out the wrong form and sent to fill out a new one.
    Repeat this process until he finally gives up and shoots himself.

With the power of bureaucracy anything is possible
    I'm back... possibly... any minute now... brb.

Horny Halfing Avatar by Anna Molly

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think we have much of a chance, because we'd have no idea of it's capabilities. Isn't a tank shell essentially nothing to them?

Nerve Gas might work, but we wouldn't know that the thing is nearly invincible.

One possibility is to try and bury it under an idiotic amount of weight, and hope it either can't breathe (ideally) or starve to death. And knowing how overpowered Space Marines are, that would probably take 20 years or so. Unless of course, they don't even need to eat.

If the helmet could get removed somehow, we could aim at his head.

We could try throwing him into a Volcano, but he'd probably live through that too.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    Judging by sheer numbers we could do it, and odds are a bunch of us have some form of traning(firearms, martial arts, odds are we have some military men among us,), we send in pixies first, zerg rushing him, all those bullets would to some damage and weapons jam or overheat eventually. Add to that we can bring any other weapons we can carry(a few thousand people carying weapons is a lot), grap onto some light vehicle(two playgrounders lifting), or another person(human chain) and no way he's winning.
    But it's a SPACE MARINE!
    He isn't just going to come out in the open so you can take pot shots with your rpgs...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

What if we built a Dice Cannon? It has capital letters so it has to work!

Awesome Pennywise the Clown avatar made by Sneak
    Awesome Crimson King sigatar by Serpentine
    Awesome Randall Flagg sigatar by Tomb Raven

Avid fan of Stephen King

28. - Top - End - #28

Wiki is a self regulating site, even if its not 100% reliable, stop trying to hide your inablity to win the discussion by beating a dead horse.

And only by sheer numbers would we win, time is the greatest enemy the poor SM has. After his bullets and fuel are gone he's going to have to find other weapons, which i am sure he could do, and employ better and more effectivly then any single person on this site ever could. Its just a waiting game after getting him to an area he couldnt get a weapon
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    But it's a SPACE MARINE!
    He isn't just going to come out in the open so you can take pot shots with your rpgs...
    Oh yeah he's going to come out so we can shoot him with whatever we have:

Camouflage is the colour of fear... I have no need to hide from my foes... I have no fear of death. My colours I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live - I am proud to die".

+++ Commander Carab Culln, Red Scorpions +++

Source:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Quotes_Space_Marines

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zombie

How good is that power armor against a thousand or so cars attempting to ram it at full speed?