New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Red Hand Of Doom IC

Thank you M'lord. Korren says, breathing a sigh of relief. He can't believe Anji, a halfling of usually sound judgment, would be so rash. His magical training had taught him to recognize a charm effect when he saw one. His father had always taught him, "If you need to charm someone, you're not trying hard enough." Korren silently reminded himself to admonish the shortstack later and accept the current situation as is. Good sir, you wouldn't happen to have an armory merchant, or perhaps a requisitions officer in town would you?

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

Shield strides past the guards, pats the one in mail on the shoulder, and whispers "I will help stand watch tonight, as a token of my good will. In return, may I ask for assistance in repairing some damage I sustained during my run-in with the hobgoblins?" in his ear. He waits for the reply, hoping that this will allow his companions to go about their business freely and quickly. He dreaded the idea of staying in a place that was such a target of raiding, knowing that he would most likely end more than one life before his stay at Drellin's Ferry was over.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Anji was growing more impatient ever so slowly. He had not counted on the possibility of more hobgoblins, least of all ones that had the audacity to frequently raid a town and keep him from his business. Again Anji felt a small pang of guilt at his concern for money over the safety of others, but he had been like that since his parents died. Anji noticed Shield speaking quietly with one of the guards. Probably offering to defend the town, good natured person that he is. I just hope he doesn't get carried away with his promises or else we may never be able to complete our task. he thought. Anji was sure he had heard Korren ask the guard about merchants or something like that and was anxious to pawn the spoils of their earlier victory, but it seemed that they might have to wait for the runner to get back with this "Winston" first. Sighing, Anji slumped back in the seat of his cart.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wha?? you..tal....I mean, sure. We can always use another set of eyes. You'll have to talk to Morlin's about repairs." The guardsman takes a half-step back, clearly unnerved by Shield, though he wasn't so wary before Shield spoke.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

"Wonderful. I would also like to inquire as to the likelihood of acquiring a composite longbow more suited for me...I feel like the ones we've found are too weak for me." Shield made his best attempt at a smile, which to a human looked like something between a grimace and a grin. He had been trying to blend in with the flesh races ever since he met Korren, so as to not draw unwanted attention to his charge, but often, he simply failed. He usually made up for it with his undeniably good nature, disarming even the most ill-natured commoner or ruffian.

Shield turned to the rest of his party. You should try to sell as much of that as possible, but I would like to keep the arrows...I feel as if they will be of use in the next few days." He hoped that this request wouldn't be too much to ask of his fellow adventurers. Besides, it was equipment that they wouldn't need to carry from that point on. "Also, someone look into getting a wagon, as well as horses to pull it. We may need the extra space and carrying capacity." He turned back to the lead guard. "So, where would I find this Morlin?"

6. - Top - End - #96

MonkGuy

Pleased that they were finally making some headway, Anji turned to Korren. After we sell the loot, I'll see if I can't get us a more sizeable wagon and a few more horses, so long as I get to keep Bill. Also, I could just sell the stuff while someone waits for this Winston character and split up the money when we meet at the inn, after which I would probably buy the wagon, unless of course you have any objections?
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, that sounds fine to me shortstack. Korren says with a smile. Make sure to get us a good price on the mundane equipment and try to identify those shortswords if you will. Remember to get us a good...fair...price, Anji. Shield, your assistance in transportation would be invaluable to Anji at the moment. You can then lend your insomnia to the night watch. Gore, Glyn...would you two be so kind as to rent us a room at the inn, I'll be sleeping on the floor. Nebraska, I'd love your insight when speaking with the Speaker of this town. Thank you all. Korren hopes his comrades did not feel ordered around, but someone needed to organize the situation.

8. - Top - End - #98

MonkGuy

Fine. If you're not too busy Shield, let's go into town and do some... inventory. said Anji. He thought it was a little pretentious of Korren to take command like that, but Anji had known Korren for some time and this behavior was not new to him. Giving his mule the signal to go, Anji called out See you at the inn! and made his way into the town.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Morlin's
    No problem, Morlin's is right down this path, on your left. Can't miss it.
    As you leave, you can't help shake the feeling that the guard is glad to see your backs.
    Morlin's smithy is easy to find, as you can see the titular Morlin working at an anvil set in a small courtyard, though hearing your approach he looks up.
    Wow there! You're a big fellow. The Sargent sent you?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

"Yes sir, I would like to know the likelihood of acquiring a stronger composite longbow than the ones that we have. Also, I'd like to see if we could interest you in some merchandise we picked up from the hobgoblins we vanquished earlier. In addition to these wares, I would like to know if you could help me repair some of my wounds from that battle."

Spoiler
    Show
    Shield rolls a Diplomacy check in order to see if he will be able to negotiate a fair price from the blacksmith for the acquisition of a new bow (1d20+10)[28] + any modifiers for having slain hobgoblins (I assume that might add a little.), to sell the items they've gathered from the hobgoblins (1d20+10)[27] (And any modifiers for being so badass.), and lastly, to get repairs (1d20+10)[14]
    Last edited by ZOMGoubeaux; 2008-06-11 at 09:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Meanwhile, Korren decides to walk into town to reserve a room or two at the Old Bridge Inn. He strolls into the Inn and takes a good look around, getting the general atmosphere of the area. If possible, he sits at the bar to enjoy a cool ale punctuated with secretive nips from his belt sack. Gods I need to relax, he thinks, I'm beginning to loose control of myself. I nearly torched that whole forest in that last fight, and those were only Hobgoblins! I need to remind Shield to watch me in that keep. Putting his thoughts aside, Korren takes the first chance he has to speak with the barkeep about lodging.

12. - Top - End - #102

MonkGuy

Just a moment, sir interrupted Anji Before we do business, I was wondering whether or not you could give us any information as to the nature of these swords. Anji extracted one of the blades from the cart and took it into the smith's shop. Setting it on a table, Anji examined the sword once again. The odd thing is, the hilt shows signs of use, while the blade seems brand new. If you can tell us anything about it, that would be very helpful. If not, then would you perhaps know someone who would know something?
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Inn
    The Old Bridge Inn has a friendly, boisterous atmoshere without being too rowdy, and the ale is common, but hearty. The innkeeper looks up when you inquie about rooms, obviously interested in any customers.
    "You want a couple rooms for the night? traveler's aren't common this time of year, so its 4sp per room. You staying long?

Morlin's
    Bow? Can't help you there, try the fletchers, down the road. But if you have good steel, I'll take them. If their good enough, I can sell them to the militia, if not more scrap is always useful. And the damage is light, no more than an hour or 2 to repair it all.... If you don't mind me asking, what is that metal? I've never seen the like. Morlin turns at Anji's question, obviously intriuged by the nature of the sword.Let me see it here. Morlin holds it steady, inspecting it as only a craftsman would.Good balance, and no sign of warping....hmm, I can't say for sure, but this is at least master quality, but there's something odd about the whole thing...you should try asking the wiz, he might know more than I.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

"Thank you, Morlin, I appreciate the help. Also, I hope that you can put these weapons to good use." With that, Shield sat down in the Blacksmith's shop, waiting for him to be ready to begin the repairs. "The metal on my body? That's Adamantine, a very strong, powerful metal. Would you like a piece?" Shield pulled a sliver of the metal off of his waist, and handed it to the aging blacksmith. "Please take this as a token of my gratitude, and make sure to guard that. It's worth a lot to scoundrels."

15. - Top - End - #105

MonkGuy

Anji was growing ever more curious about the swords, but decided that he should get down to business in the interim. Sir, I have for sale 15 longswords, 12 of which are master quality, 3 light crossbows, 12 composite longbows, 12 heavy steel shields, and 3 sets of studded leather armor. Certainly you could turn a profit buying these from us at face value and selling them to the militia for more. Anji hoped that he would find the terms acceptable so he could investigate the swords further.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Morlin
    Morlin looks shocked at your gratitude, and says"Adamantine? Really? I've heard of it, but never actually handled any. Thank you..." before being interrupted by Anji's proposition. Suddenly, Morlin's nostrils flare, and he glares at the halfling.
    You want me to cheat my family? My friends? Simply to line your pockets? If I wasn't inclined to think this was a mistake, I would tell you to get out, and stick those weapons up your scrawny ass. Now, either take half the value of the items, determined by my sole expectation, or leave it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember that if you want more than normal, you have to use diplomacy to convince them.

Diplomacy check failed.

17. - Top - End - #107

MonkGuy

My sincerest apologies. Where I come from, business practices are a little different. I mean you no insult. Half price is perfectly acceptible Said Anji, honestly surprised at the shopkeeps reaction. Back in his home village, things were usually bought and sold at full price and, to be honest, he had never really encountered this problem before on any of his deliveries. Eager to change the subject to something less upsetting, Anji turned his mind back to several minutes earlier. By the way, you mentioned a... "wiz" was it? Pray tell, who is he?
    Last edited by Zato-1; 2008-06-13 at 10:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No, not long. My friends and I are just passing through on the way to Vrath's Keep. Two rooms for eight pieces of silver sounds like a deal and I'll make it a gold piece if you can give me something a little stronger than this ale, Korren says with a wry smile. Now, my good man, has there been any word around town about Hobgoblins in the area? We were hit by a rather large raid on the way here and stumbled across a farm they had sacked. Korren raises his voice slightly with this last question and hopes to find out a little more than was shared by the border watch. He also hopes that the locals in the bar hear him and chime in. His father had always told him, "Theres not much that isn't discussed over a pint."
    Last edited by AlphaLuke; 2008-06-14 at 12:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

[[Forgive me for not posting in forever]]
    Nebraska, I'd love your insight when speaking with the Speaker of this town. Thank you all.
    "All right."Nebraska hopped off the cart and strode up to Korren, "We're off to see the speaker." Nebraska then followed Korren to the Inn. Once inside, he let Korren do the talking with the innkeeper.
    Last edited by Pakiti; 2008-06-14 at 06:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nebraska James
    Damian Vee'ral
    "Bring on the 4e, bring on the in game options. I loved sitting around tinkering with character builds for hours, but I don't think I'll miss it much. I'm having too damn much fun actually playing the game!"
    -JDillard

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Morlin's
    The dwarf inspects the swords and armor, quickly coming to a conclusion about the worth of it, and exchanges the necessary gold, then gives direction to the Fletcher's residence and the Wizard's manor house is. The fletcher is an amiable elf by the name Avarh, and he makes much the same deal as Morlin. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a bow quite up to your standards, but if you are willing to wait a few days, he could make one to your specifications. If not, you could use one of the ones available.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gain 3325 gp.
    Possible bow: there are 2 Composite Longbows +2 and a single masterwork Composite longbow +3, in addition to other choices.

Inn
    No problem. I have some wine below the counter, though if you want the good stuff you'll need a bit more of the shiny stuff. Varrath keep you say? Haven't had much to do with it, something about it being haunted, and its been deserted for long enough. Hobgoblins, on the other hand, had much more experience with them, you might say.The halfling says with a shake of his head and a small smile.They've been raiding the town off and on for, what, oh, I don't know, ever since there's been a town here, I guess. We're close to the mountains, and we're on the trade road, so I wouldn't expect anything else.Now, the halfing turns much more serious.But recently the raids are stronger, more frequent, and they all seem to be from the same tribe. And Merchants aren't ge--

An affable, strong voice interrupts the innkeeper with a laugh, Not giving away any town secrets now, Kellin. The newcomer is a tall balding man, around 50 if you had to guess, in affluent clothing and a smile on his face belying his words. He immediately turns to Korren, and sticks out his hand, obviously for a handshake.So, your with the group of adventurers that just came into town? My names Norro Wiston, and I'm the speaker for Drellin's Ferry. I heard you had some trouble with Hobgoblins. Could you come by my house, in about an hours time? I'm right across the green, and I would like to speak to you about some... recent occurrences. You can bring the others of your group, if you like.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Korren shakes Norro's hand in a firm, yet friendly manner. Pleased to make your acquaintance Master Winston. I am Korren D’Oriandas, of the House Orien, although my friends call me Korren Manyblades. My associates here are Nebraska James, Jack of All Trades; Glynthinx Elandor, Master of Dragons; and Gore Dog, Savant of Nature's Fury. Also among us are Anji Mito, a Halfling of deceptive arcane strength; and my guardian Shield, although I believe they are handling our business affairs at the moment. We would be honored to join you in discussion of this Hobgoblin matter. Hopefully, we can be of mutual aide to each other. But for the time at hand, sit and speak with me. Allow me to buy you a pint. Kellin, if you would please. . . Korren hopes that Norro might become more than a one time contract employer. The Speaker as a contact and friend may be of use in the future.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Halfling in the Playground

If I can be of service I will serve, but for now I am tired and weary of travel, so let us sit and sup.
    Last edited by Brandeath; 2008-06-14 at 07:17 PM. Reason: lol
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113

MonkGuy

Anji accepts the money, gives his thanks to Morlin, and makes his way out of the shop to the home of the wizard.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Inn
    House Orein, you say? They send several caravan's though this town, but I think you just missed the last one. It is a pleasure to meet you, sirs, but I have some pressing business to attend to, and simply came here in order to arrange a meeting. Til then, goodbye.The speaker gives a short bow to all in the inn, and then leaves.

Wizards house
    You come to a old manor house on the bluffs near the river. When you come to the door, you knock once, an here a voice from within.
    "Just a second!", and the door opens revealing a middle-aged halfling with disheveled grey hair and spectacles. He is looking up at the space where your head would be if you were one of the big folk, but quickly recovers. He guides you into his front hallway, talking as you go." Come in, come in. I get so few visitors, and rarely one of our kind. So, what brings you here?"

25. - Top - End - #115

MonkGuy

Although shocked that the eizard is actually a halfling, Anji soon regains his composure and sets one of the blades down before him. I have come across an odd blade during my travels. It was in possession of a hobgoblin who was dispatched by a member of my traveling party. The odd thing is, the hilt shows signs of wear, but the blade seems brand new. I inquired about it at the local smiths but he could not help me and referred me to you. Pray tell, can you give me any information at all regarding the blade?
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps. If Morlin sent you to me, then he suspects that its magic, and while I can reveal what that means, it will cost you. Assuming you can wait till tomorrow, I can identify the item, but it will cost about 150 gp for the shortsword. Are their any other items you need identified?

27. - Top - End - #117

MonkGuy

Anji frowned slightly. He had not expected that he would have to pay for an appraisal, but he was too curious to care. Actually,yes. There is another sword of similar construct. Would you mind apparaising that as well? said Anji, extracting 300 gp from his pouch. I shall see you tomorrow then. said Anji who decided to return to Shield and begin searching for a larger cart.
    Last edited by Zato-1; 2008-06-15 at 12:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Slightly put off by the abrupt exit, Korren looks to Kellin quizzically. Is he usually that abrupt? Korren asks as he sips his ale. He seemed like a nice enough fellow. He mentioned that House Orien sends caravans through here. Any idea as to what the last shipments contained? Also, you were about to say that the merchants have not been receiving something. What hasn't been getting through? Korren then realizes he sounds more like an inquisitor than a friend and quiets down as he drinks his ale. He casually places a few more gold pieces than necessary on the counter.

29. - Top - End - #119

MonkGuy

Anji retured to Morlin's hoping that Shield was nearly done being repaired. Anji made his way over to Shield who was still being worked on by Morlin. Pardon me. If you're not too busy, may I have a word with my associate? said Anji in his most polite tone so as not to anger the already irked dwarf.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Shield looked up from his stasis at the dwarf working on his armor. "Thank you, Morlin, but I must see to this. My apologies for the interruptions, and thank you for your help." Shield presses 4 gp into the dwarven blacksmith's hand, closes it, and pats him on the shoulder."It's not much, I know, but I want you to accept it as a token of my gratitude." Shield then walks outside with Anji, curious as to why the Halfling needed him. "Yes, Anji? What's the matter?"