New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pass on what you have learned IC

Liam Ravenquill

Liam smiles, "Good work, everyone!"
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

Atan

Smiling at his sister, Atan said, "Why not?"

As before, he took careful aim, then let fly with the lit 'candle arrow'. As it impacted the enemy's main sail, he held his breath, watching for flames to blossom.

3. - Top - End - #273

Lirt

Lirt watches the other ship recede. Good work gentlemen. Then taking a moment to stumble back over to the rail he spends a few moments at the rail with his head hanging.
    Last edited by Greyen; 2008-06-28 at 02:19 AM.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

4. - Top - End - #274

Atan

As flames spread from where his arrow hit, Atan laughed and cheered.
    "Sister, you're a genius!" he cried, throwing an arm around her. He knew the flames wouldn't last. If the pirate crew was even half as competent as their own, some means of extinguishing the fire in their rigging would be exercised in short order. But the damage had been done. At least one pirate crew knew not to cross this particular ship again.
    Bouncing back up to the captain, he had an even bigger grin on his face than before. "Sir, I'd like to report the enemy ship has developed a bit of a fire problem," he said. "I hope the Navy appreciates the help," he added.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The arrow impacts the aft sail, splattering burning wax over it. You can see several figures climbing through the ships rigging while the flames eat their way through the cloth. When the crewman finally manage to put out the fire, a large section of the sail is burnt, and the ship trails a thick cloud of black smoke.

The captain walks over to Atan and pats him on the shoulder. "Well done, son. You seem to have some talent with the bow. Are you sure you want to spent your life hunched over books? No offense", he apologizes to your friends.

A quarter of an hour passes until you hear a "navy ship ahead" from the crow's nest. A few minutes later you can discern the shape of several sails, the largest one bearing prominently the emblem of the royal navy. The warship heads towards you, then matches the speed and course of the smaller cog, and a soldier yells "Did you fire the signal?" "Aye", the captain replies. "We're coming aboard."

The warship slowly lowers a drawbridge-like ramp to the cog, taking care not to damage the ship with the iron spikes that protrude from it. An officer of the purple dragons accompanied by four soldiers steps aboard and greets you. "What caused you to fire the signal?" The captain shortly relays the recent events, including Atan's considerable help in driving off the pirates. The dragon congratulates you. "Well done, Atan. We could use men like you in the dragons. What do you think?"

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Emmis grins as Atan catches the ship on fire, and cheers along with the others.

When the Purple Dragons come, Emmis speaks. "If you'd like, I can show you an illusion of what the ship looked like."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

7. - Top - End - #277

Atan

His grin shifting to a rueful smile, Atan replied to the captain, "Thank you, captain. Actually, no, but my parents have insured that I at least have to finish school. A few more years, and I'll be free to make my own way."

When the Purple Dragon congratulated him, Atan beamed with pride. His accomplishments would be something to tell his uncle, certainly. With the same rueful smile he had given the captain, he replied, "I wish I could take you up on that offer, sir, but I'm obligated to complete my schooling, no matter how ill-suited I am to it. I'll be free to make my own way in a few more years, though, and I'll absolutely keep the Dragons in mind when I graduate, sir."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam walks around the ship, checking for any signs of damage of any kind. If it will help he will spend his three mending spells to assist with that or any other minor repairs that might need doing.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"If you do, I hope we meet again." The dragon looks at Emmis' Illusion, then bids you farewell and goes off to chase after the pirates. The ship stays where it is, anchoring for the night.

The next day you continue your journey, arriving at the mouth of the Wyvernflow at the end of the day. You travel up the Wyvernflow, making a short stop at the town of Wheloon to allow for some trade. Three uneventful days later you reach Hultail, the small village that is home to the largest shipyards on the Wyvernwater, as the crew readily explains to you. After you leave Hultail, the wind changes, and you have to spend two nights on the boat.

On the third day, finally, a few huts on the shore come into sight. The ship is anchored close to shore, and yawls are loaded with various wares and set into water. You accompany the merchants on the first boat, and arrive at the , where a small crowd has already gathered. The merchants jump onto the rocky beach. "We bring you everything you desire! Fine threads from Suzail!, " He looks at a child hiding behind his mother. "Do you want some honey?" The childs nods, and as the merchant dips a wooden stick into a honey bowl and gives it to the kid, his eyes go almost as wide as his mouth as he tries to swallow the stick whole, but not without distributing honey liberally over his face.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam walks among the townsfolk who are gawping at the strangers. He smiles, seeing the kids, and casts Prestidigitation. Then, sitting down crosslegged begins performing an impromptu magic show, letting the kids come over on their own.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

11. - Top - End - #281

Atan

Atan happily trudged up the rocky beach, his eyes inland. He hadn't minded the sea voyage, really, but it just didn't compare to walking among the trees. Seeing others of the group engaged with the locals, he restrained his desire to head off to the forest proper. Perhaps there was a local fletcher. One could never have too many arrows, after all. Remembering the Captain's generosity earlier in the voyage, Atan kept his canvassing close to the merchants. He had little coin with which to replenish his quivers.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Halfling in the Playground

Azurous

The morning after the pirate attack

Azurous had done some thinking after the attack about the spells available to him, eventually he had concluded that there were spells he could have chosen that would be more effective in the current situation. As he did not have the means to change his current spell he decided on a more short term solution.

Azurous approaches Liam as he finishes restoring his spells. “My friend I believe I have made an error while selecting spells for this expedition, would it be possible for me to borrow your spellbook to memorize Mage Armor?”
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

shortly after the pirate attack

Liam smiles, "No problem." He digs out the book and opens it to the relevant page, holding it out for Azurous.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

14. - Top - End - #284

Lirt

Lirt follows along with the group leading his mule with care. He is careful of the children and looks at the merchants with a cautious eye. He looks at the others Do we want to head directly into the forest today or wait until morning?

15. - Top - End - #285

Azurous

The morning after the pirate attack

With Liam’s help Azurous successfully memorizes the spell. “Thank you,” grinning he continues “now maybe I can be effective for more than 12 seconds.”

Present time

Azurous moves into town with the others, Scrya as always alert for possible threats.
    In response to Lirt’s question Azurous says “Unless we need something specific we should head out as soon as possible, we only have so much time and food and we do not know what delays we may encounter.”

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Liam is quickly surrounded by a gaggle of giggling kids, running around close to him and trying to touch the colorful spectacle he produces.

Elizar Dayen sees Atan standing aside from the activity and walks up to him. "So this is where we part. I don't know when you leave, but I and my colleagues have a lot to thank you for. We might well have lost our cargo to these pirates. All out money is bound up in our wares though. We went through everything and sorted out what we thought would be most useful to you." He sets down a large canvas bag. "These small bags here contain the most treasured saffron from Thay. There are ten of them, and each holds one pound and is worth fifteen gold pieces. This bale here holds twenty-five square yards of Thesk's finest silk The usual price for this is 250 gold pieces. Finally, here are some assorted items we think you might find helpful. The vial holding the blueish liquid is a potion that cures light wounds. The red vial is a love elixir. Don't confuse them." He snickers. "This wand here produces a spell that protects you from physical harm with an invisible armor, and this glass bottle here contains holy water. Good luck to you on your way."
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2008-07-21 at 04:52 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287

Atan

Atan gaped for a moment at the merchant's generosity, then quickly remembered his manners. Clomping his mouth shut, he gave a respectful bow to the man and said, "Thank you, sir. You are more than generous. House Mistaya will not forget you, Elizar Dayan. May your gods smile on you always." Picking up the large canvas bag, he politely retreated and motioned to the others to come and see the goods the merchants had given them. He passed out the small bags of saffron to each person, but laid the three vials and wand atop the bale of silk for further discussion. He was fairly certain he'd end up carrying the bale, but he was just as certain he wasn't the right person for any of the other items.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

As the children gather round, having fun; he pauses the act and gestures them close. "Have any of you seen... one of these?" He gestures and a faint two-dimensional image appears, the picture Liam saw of a Shocker Lizard in the books. If any children pipe up he will gesture as a glowing ball of light settles over the each of those child's heads. "What do you know about them and where else have you seen them?" If nobody pipes up, or after he has questioned the children, he will nod and continue the show.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya

Minya wobbled a bit on legs used to the heaving deck. She decided she liked sea travel. She wandered the hamlet for a bit, looking around at the various people. If she spotted an elder she wandered over and introduced herself.

"Hello, I am Minya Istaya, a student from Cormyr. May I join you?" She asked a few questions about the village and the surrounding area, patiently listening to anything the person had to share. Eventually, if the conversation didn't wend its way there naturally, she asked about shocker lizards.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Liam sits in the middle of five children enjoying the simple show. When he creates his image of the lizard, the young girl in front of him bursts into tears and starts to scream "Mommy, Mommy!" The boy next to her springs up and looks angrily at you. "Now you made her cry." He takes the girl by the hand, and they run back to the adults, who all turned towards the commotion.

The old man pats a spot on the bench next to him. "Have a seat please, I always enjoy having some company. You sure look like you are from the big city. Are you an elf? I didn't know you liked the big cities. But then, some are always different, huh? I still remember little Grag, he never liked it in Hultail. That's where I am from, in case you haven't guessed. His father was a shipwright, but he didn't want to take over his trade. He went off to the big city, talked into it by this wizard. Not that I don't like wizards, mind you. But you have to be careful around them, meddling with these energies we were just not made to handle. Accidents happen sometimes, terrible accidents." He stops and you notice his lower lip trembling.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam looks dumbfounded that a simple image of a picture caused such a reaction in a child of the village. "Well, I didn't mean to upset your friend, so I guess the show is over." He shrugs.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Emmis, coming off of the ship and watching the show, winces when the child runs away.

He then looks to Liam. "Possibly, he's had a run in with them before. Ever think that a child, having been shocked into unconsciousness, wouldn't have a bad reaction to them? Betcha that's why."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya Istaya, Waterdeep Elf

"Yes, sir, I am an elf. My parents sent my brother and I away to school to learn from a new university in Cormyr. That's my brother over there on the beach," she said, pointing at Atan and smiling.

Minya was fascinated when the old man began to talk about Grag, but shivered when the talk turned to danger. She was a little high strung, and couldn't always keep the calm demeanor her family expected. "Accidents, sir? Um, what kind of accidents?" Noticing the old man's sorrow she tried to temper her curiosity with compassion, but could not help being interested in his story. "Would you tell me the story? I am a student myself and, well, not doing as well as I had hoped." She swallowed nervously, and looked around for anything resembling a tea shop.

24. - Top - End - #294

Azurous

Azurous heads over to Atan to inspect the reword the elf had been given, and he well disserves it for making that shot. After considering for a moment he puts forth his opinion. “The saffron and silk is no use to us at the present, can a mule carry then? As for the rest, well Epsun knows the most about healing and Atan would be the best shot with the Holy Water. As he did the work Atan should decide who gets the wand and elixir. If you don’t want to use the wand I would gladly employ it on this expedition.”

25. - Top - End - #295

Lirt

Lirt wander's up with his mule, he looks at Atan and Azourus, I think we would be best served just outright selling the silks here, foul weather will ruin it. My mother always complained about her silks getting caught in the rain. As for the saffron, I can think of several different recipes that may benifit from some, but it may be better to save until we get to Suzail to sell there. Lirt looks around the port area for a tailor or dressmaker.

Spoiler
    Show

Appraise (1d20+4)[24]
    Spot (1d20+3)[17]

26. - Top - End - #296

Atan

"I think I can keep the silk dry in this canvas bag, and I'm not sure we'll be able to get much for it here in the village, like Azurous said. I'm willing to carry it back to Suzail if no one else is. As far as the other stuff, I think everyone should have a chance to look it over before we decide who's using what. I don't really know what I'd do with a flask of holy water or that wand, honestly, but unless someone has a specific use for the Elixir of Love, I think I'd rather hang on to it, just to keep it safe," Atan said.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The other three children leave Liam and walk back to their parents. Some of the adults have come together in a group and are talking excitedly amongst each other.

The old mal pulls himself together and nods in reply. "It's not much of a story, dear. We had a wizard living in a tower near the village. One day I came back from travel to find the whole village burnt to the ground and the tower destroyed. The next village was attacked by a demon, but luckily there was a band of adventurers who were brave and strong enough to defeat it. They tracked its path to my village and figured that the wizard had summoned the demon, either accidentally or that it got out of control. He was not a bad man, I knew him a little. He must have made a mistake. See, if you're a blacksmith and you make a mistake, you lose some money and time. If you're a wizard..."

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam walks over to join the others talking about the stuff. "Did I hear right, the merchants gave us some things to help us?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

29. - Top - End - #299

Atan

Turning to Liam, Atan said, "Did they ever. Lots of trade goods that may or may not be helpful here and now, but more importantly, a couple of potions and a wand. Based on what he said, I think the wand is Mmm... something Armor. Some spell I never use. One potion is curative, and the other is an 'Elixir of Love'. Oh, and a vial of holy water. No idea what we'd need that for, but who knows?"
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-07-23 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Missing word added...

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods, noting the coalition of parents. "I suppose I'd better say something." He turns and walks over to the group. "I would like to beg your pardon, I was doing an impromptu magic show, as I saw when I was a boy, but I guess my performance skills are not up to par with the traveling mage I witnessed. I scared one of your children."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald