New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Pass on what you have learned IC

One of the men steps in front of the others as you approach. He listens to you and nods. "You probably could have been more careful, but we accept your apology. She'll be out and playing again in no time. So what are you doing here?"

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods, "We've actually been sent to the forest to get some materials that are needed back at our college. Magic, you see, often requires or is enhanced by certain material componentes."
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya Istaya, Waterdeep Elf

Quote Originally Posted by Irrealist View Post
    The old man pulls himself together and nods in reply. "It's not much of a story, dear. <snip> See, if you're a blacksmith and you make a mistake, you lose some money and time. If you're a wizard..."

"That's ... that's terrible."
    Minya shuddered for a moment, "I never thought about what would happen if something got loose. I'm not very good at conjuring, anyway." She frowned in thought, "Summoning demons is a risk not worth taking, or so Grandfather says. They're tricky and evil and taint the soul of the summoner. I never wanted to learn how to bring one here, but maybe I should study how to send them back?" Minya smiled nervously at the old man.

"I'm a student at the university and we've been sent to fetch a shocker lizard. It's a test. Do you know about them? I've studied about them in books, but I don't know anything real."

4. - Top - End - #304
    Barbarian in the Playground

Epsun Penderdark, whisper gnome archivist

Epsun yawned as he rolled over in the narrow bunk. The combat had been exciting for some, but he preferred an enemy who could be studied and understood before battle, rather than a simple group of probably uneducated pirates. Sailing wasn't so bad, though - a really nice rocking motion, and...huh. That would be why the sun was so high. Rising in a hurry, he gathered his belongings together and headed for the shore, taking in the scene as he arrived. Gravitating toward the largest knot of students, he listens to their conversation for a moment, appraising the situation before adding his own input.
    "Holy water is usually for religious ceremonies - in combat, it's really only useful against undead creatures. I'd take the healing potion if no one else wants it, but the wand is useless to me - the school of universal magic had some basic armor training, and the divine incantations I've been learning don't require complex gestures." He gestures to his breastplate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge religion - (1d20+11)[31]
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lirt

Well however you like it. I'll not object to bringing it with us if we can protect it better. Lirt says to the group as they go over the stuff from the merchants. I'll pack it into mule so no one's too over loaded. HE shifts a few packages on the mule and loads the heavier items onto the pack saddle and saddle bags.

He looks around at the others on the "field trip" We should probably get moving while we can though. I doubt any of us can afford to spend the night in the inn, and I do not think we want to waste any of the time we have.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I know that they are dangerous and that you'd do good to keep away from them. But I might as well have talked to a wall, eh? You're not going to listen to me anyway." He looks at your face.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya Istaya, Waterdeep Elf

Minya looked hurt at the old man's accusation. "Why do you say that? I am no wall, closed minded and unwilling to learn. I seek knowledge from all sources, sir."

She took a deep breath and continued, "The wise choice might be to leave the lizards be, but I have little choice in the matter. My master has assigned me a task, and I must fulfill it or go home a disgraced failure. It may be foolish, but I am not willing to quit. I would listen to whatever you have to say, sir, so that my brother and I might prevail."

8. - Top - End - #308

Atan

Atan grinned at Lirt and replied, "Ok, but it really wouldn't have been too much trouble. And I'd really like that duffel bag after we sell the silk. It's nice heavy canvas, and bigger than my pack."

Casting about for his sister, he saw her sitting with an old man. Waving, he called, "Minya, come here! I've got something to show you!"

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The old man sighs. "Well, the only thing I can counsel you to do is to stay away from them. But as we both already said, you're not going to listen to me. The only other thing I know is that young Robin once made a getaway by dropping his dried fish; they seemed to prefer that to following him."

10. - Top - End - #310
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya

"I mean you no disrespect, sir, and I thank you for that information. Do you know where we might purchase some dried fish?" She smiled at the old man and then noticed her brother waving at her. Minya waited until the man was finished with whatever last comments he wished to make, and then excused herself to see what made Atan so excited.

"Very nice, brother! A wand of armor will be very handy for us! So, Azurous, you're in charge of keeping us all protected, then? Remind me to stay near by." She smiled cheerfully at Azurous. She then told the others what the old man had said about the destroyed village, the mage tower, the demons, and the shocker lizards' appreciation of dried fish.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Halfling in the Playground

Azurous

“The wand will be very helpful but I did some research on this forest and some of the things in there would be a threat to our teachers. Never the less I will do my utmost to protect you.”
    If no one protests Azurous takes the wand and tucks it into his belt.

“If we are all ready then let us depart.”
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?

12. - Top - End - #312

Atan

"Depart? Oh, sure. Where to, eh? That tower sounds interesting, but we're supposed to be hunting lizards. You don't suppose there's any lizards at the tower, do you?" Atan asked, clearly enthusiastic regardless of the answer.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The old man points to several huts on the shore. "The men are out fishing, but their wives will gladly help you out. Good luck on your journey."

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Nuale

"We're ready?" Nuale asks, walking up just in time to hear Atan mention leaving. "Everyone's waterskins are full? I was going to try to see if somebody here had a smaller map we could use, but I don't think they will."
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

"I've got the map of the forest I found, but it's only a rough one. Not much detail at all."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods, "By all means, lets be on our way."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

17. - Top - End - #317

Lirt

Lirt and the mule wait patiently for one of the more 'woodsy' classmates to begin leading the way into the swamp.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

18. - Top - End - #318

Atan

"Hey Minya... where's that tower? Upriver or down?" Atan asked before setting off.

19. - Top - End - #319

Atan

After determining the proper direction, Atan strode confidently to the front to lead the group to the tower, lizards or no. A short distance out of town, he remembered his strides were a bit longer than others, and he paused to give everyone a chance to catch up. Sheepishly, he said, "I should be a little ways out in front, but not too far."

20. - Top - End - #320

Azurous

Azurous keeps to the back of the group, both he and Scrya keeping a close watch on the surroundings.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam sets himself in the middle of the group. He is looking about alertly.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

22. - Top - End - #322

Azurous

Azurous was use to being at the back of a group like this. As he had always been the least powerful when travelling with his family so had always stayed at the back with his younger sibling. Later he acted as a guide to Haleh and Tyrygosa, making sure they knew what was happening and why, but they where still there to guard him.

Now that he was among equals (more or less) he adopted the rear position to better protect the others, knowing from experience that it was at once one of the strongest and most venerable positions. He had his weapon ready and both he and Scrya where keeping a close watch on there surroundings, great though his faith in Atan’s woodsman ship and Trahone’s destructive power he knew what dangers generally lurked in forests, and what was reputed to lurk in this forest specifically, and was rather uncertain of the party’s ability to deal with the threats they may encounter.

As they had entered the forest proper Azurous had observed Atan move ahead and then seem to gradually disappear from view. Meanwhile the rest of the party had formed into a rough order. Azurous was unsurprised to see that Trahone had placed him self between himself and Liam, who was in the centre of the group, so as to be close to both. It had always seemed strange that the most formidable of the three of them, and probably the whole group, was so timid. That being said he was very determined and would stand up to anyone in defence of his friends.

(OOC - Well I was board so I decided to do some RP-ing (if that’s the correct wording) and add some background. Hope it’s ok for me to say where Trahone would be, keeping in mind what TKDfirefly said about the character I think this is where he should go.)

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Acting as if he just realized what was said, "What tower?"
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

24. - Top - End - #324

Epsun

Epsun casually falls into the rear of the group beside Azurous, unlimbering his shield and crossbow as they leave the village behind. He scans the surroundings with interest, but not much expectation of seeing anything before those in front.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

25. - Top - End - #325

Azurous

Hearing his friends question Azurous tells what he knows. “There is a tower near the village that used to house a mage but was apparently destroyed when a demon was summoned and got free. It seems as good a place to start our hunt as any.” When he finishes speaking he quickly returns his attention to there surroundings, thinking again of the innumerable dangers in the region.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam looks thoughtful, "I suppose it couldn't hurt to look, as long as we're careful."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

27. - Top - End - #327
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You march off into the forest, following Atan on a well-trodden path. The high sun filters through the canopy above you, and all around you, birds sing their usual songs. Some woodpeckers hammer away off in the distance, and once or twice something rustles in the thick undergrowth nearby, but you cannot make out the source.

The air is fresh, and the trees shelter you from the direct sun, so you don't feel tired at all when you arrive at a clearing with a stone circle in the middle only a little more than a quarter of an hour later. The circle is about 40 foot in diameter, and in a very bad condition. Only in a few places more than two stones stand atop each other, and the inside of it looks mostly black. A few lonely stones are scattered around the clearing.

For Atan and Azurous only:
    Spoiler
    Show

To you, used to being in the woods, everything seems normal.
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2008-08-06 at 08:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #328

Atan

Atan checked the clearing for any lurking danger before the main group arrived. Satisfied it was safe to conduct a more thorough search once the balance of the party arrived, he began to go over the site in detail.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 on search checks of the stone ring and surroundings. Total result: 24. We can get it over 25 if someone "aids another"...

29. - Top - End - #329

Epsun

When he arrives on the scene, Epsun quickly cottons on to Atan's efforts, and joins him, spending little time on words.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 20 on Search checks gets 26. Using it as Aid Another for Atan gives him...26, so it really doesn't matter which Epsun does. :D

30. - Top - End - #330
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It looks as if a tower stood on this site a few years ago. Now that you get closer, you can see that a few stones mark where walls once may have stood. A good portion of the floor inside the tower has collapsed into some sort of basement about 20 feet below. On the floor of the basement you can see scattered heaps of scorched rubble and a few burnt wooden beams. The ground area of the tower contains only the scorched remains of the stone structure.