New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Pass on what you have learned IC

Trahone

"I can understand that sentiment. I, however, know little about magic and the study of it. I will go along with your suggestion that there are limits if you specialize. It makes sense and I have seen that happen with other things in my life." Trahone pauses to finish the rest of his mug as Liam asks his question. The drink seems to relax him a little and he actually seems a little cheerful.

"That is a very interesting question. I am not sure if I am drawn to magic or it draws me. But a few things have happened in my life that can only be explained with magic. Nothing major mind you, but enough that a man I respect and trust thought that I should learn about my potential."

That is better than the hallway. Tell the truth but not the whole truth. But this seems like a decent fellow. I should not keep lies from him. I will tell him the truth. Just ... not... now. Who knows? He might be willing to help me if I have trouble with my studies.

"Tell me Liam, have any strange things with magic happen to you? I mean that I know that magic is powerful and can make the unexpected happen. But anything truly strange? Like knowing something you have no way of knowing? Or trying to doing something that you should ... not be able to?" Cursing a bit too loud, "I do not think I am getting my point across." After taking a deep breath to calm down, Trahone apologizes for his language.
    Last edited by TKDfirefly; 2008-05-26 at 01:57 AM.
    Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

Thank you Caracol for my avatar.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Aarenil Wyche

Oh, she must be terribly busy. I fear I have interrupted. After Minya returns his greeting, Aarenil turns away and heads for the lounge to find others. Maybe she will come find me when she is done unpacking.

His furrowed brow and down-turned mouth quickly become a bright white smile as he sees the two gentlemen in the lounge. "Hello there! Mind if I join you?" Bah, why didn't I think to leave my sword and armor in the room. These people must think me some meat-headed warrior. Mysha's magical orbs! Sorry, mother. Aarenil waits for them to offer a place in the conversation before sitting.

At the mention of specialties, he leans forward, a glint in his eye. Then he quickly sits back, pondering. Whew, I have a lot of catching up to do here. When there seems to be a lull in the conversation, he asks, "How long did you gu... gentlemen practice the arts before coming to the school? I'm afraid I, like you, have very little experience in actual practice and have just been confined to the study of books."

But reconsidering, he shrugs, smiles, and asks a new question. For that matter, what are your names? I am Aarenil Wyche, but you can call me Aaren or what have you.
    Last edited by OneFamiliarFace; 2008-05-26 at 01:57 AM. Reason: TKD posted as I was posting, my post seemed out of place

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam considers Trahone's question, but shakes his head with a lopsided grin. "No... nothing ever happened to me with magic, not through lack of desire." He leans back, tilting his chair a bit, "You see, my father always told me my mother was a sorceress, and I believed him. I saw her magic as an escape from a rather mundane, and to me, hopeless life. I so wanted magic, that I read everything I could about it. It was rather like an obsession with me." He shakes his head, "But I had no magic in my blood... and it was shortly after I realized that that I came to understand that didn't mean I couldn't have magic in my life. Some of the greatest minds of magic have no inherent sorcery; but rather years of study and work..."

Liam pauses, tilting forward again as another student walks into the room. "Hello, to you. Please, do join us." He nods to the new fellow, "Aarenil, I am Liam, and this is Trehone." He gestures to the other student as he says his name. "Sit down if you wish, we were just getting to know one another while awaiting lunch. To answer your earlier question, before I came here I studied at the School of Magic in Suzail which opened in the same year as this University. In a few short years we covered the basics of magic and spellcraft, so I can cast a few simple cantrips only at this point." He glances between the newcomer and Trehone, letting the conversation develop. I think I won't prod Trehone about whatever his "experience" was. It doesn't seem to be something he would likely want to talk about in a crowd; perhaps I'll ask him about it later.
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-05-26 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Epimetheus...
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

4. - Top - End - #34

GnomeWizardGuy

Aarenil

Relieved to have met such fine fellows, Aarenil presses on. "I, myself, have no magical blood either. And though my mother's kind have long since been practiced at such things, my father is the one who trained me. But like you said, it takes years, and as of right now, I cannot manifest a thing. I assume, from what my father has told me, that it will be some way into our second year before I have mastered even the basics, so it seems that you have an edge on me, Mr. Ravenquill, or can I call you 'Liam'?" As he talks, Aarenil fingers the hilt of his sword, feeling its reassuring cool metal, tracing the designs as he has done since he was first given it.

He twists his mouth to the side. "I admit, I am already anxious for class to begin. I do hope they offer something to do with the ethics of magic. The subject fascinates me, especially concerning the use of divination and illusion in criminal trials."

He shrugs again and pauses.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for interrupting the conversation, it appears that Aarenil does not seem to gather that something of a 'mystery' had passed between the two interlocutors.

And I guess Aarenil just forgot momentarily which college his father went to. I must have misread the age of this one! Haha, no matter.

Also, is there a set class schedule, or are we free to choose our own?
    Last edited by OneFamiliarFace; 2008-05-26 at 03:40 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lirt

Wandering around the grounds, getting lost a little bit tankes a short time for the halfling. He quickly finds his way back to the central fountain. He approaches the gnome studying the fountain. Good morning sir. I noticed that you are on my floor with the other new students, but I didn't catch your name. The dark haired halfling sticks his calloused and stained, but clean, hand out to shake I'm Lirt by the way.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trahone

"Nice to meet you Aaren. My name is Trahone, Liam. Not Trehone. But it is an honest mistake. I guess I have a little bit of magic in my blood. But I am not sure. The whole idea of me being a mage is still new to me." Trahone places his mug down on the table. "If you do not mind me asking Aaren, why are you wearing armor and a sword? I did not think that mages could be so proficient in melee combat. At least they are not where I am from."
    Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

Thank you Caracol for my avatar.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

Following the general move Azurous enters the common room in time to catch the end of the end of a conversation. He also sees that one of the students is fully armed, odd to be so equipped in a collage.

“Greetings all I am Azurous, son of Merithra and Nihil. Having innate magic is no great advantage, in my opinion it only limits your potential as your powers are preset. Those who push back the boundaries off magic are those who earn it not those who are given it!" realising his tone he considers for a moment, guess its best to say now than later, then continues in a less sour tone. “My apologies but all my siblings have power in there blood that I lack and…” Shrugging Azurous wonders if they will comment on his attitude, his hair or on scrya first.
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?

8. - Top - End - #38

GnomeWizardGuy

Aarenil

"Oh yes, these. Well, I've been training with them for some time now, so I hardly remember I am wearing them. I merely forgot to take them off as I..." Aarenil turns in the middle of the answer to his question to note the newcomer's entrance. Again his face moves from the scrunch of trying to answer the question to a smile.

He waits for Azurous to finish and then interjects rapidly. "No, no, I am entirely in agreement with you. It is the study of an art, the practice and refinement of an art that makes it truly beautiful...er, that is to say, magical. Because, as both my parents have said in their own different ways, it is not our destination, but the path we take which matters most. I can kill an opponent with this sword, but inherent in my training is a basic desire not to do so, and that is the truest art." Aarenil pauses and takes a deep breath, then smiles again, bashfully. "Heh, sorry, is any of this making sense? I fear I spend a lot of time with the philosophy of a thing. Oh, and I, by the way, am Aarenil Wyche." He takes as much of a bow as he can while twisted around in his seat.

And then his eyes widen. "Oh, is that your familiar? What's his name? Is he any fun? Father's owl was always such a bore."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greyen View Post
    Lirt

Wandering around the grounds, getting lost a little bit tankes a short time for the halfling. He quickly finds his way back to the central fountain. He approaches the gnome studying the fountain. Good morning sir. I noticed that you are on my floor with the other new students, but I didn't catch your name. The dark haired halfling sticks his calloused and stained, but clean, hand out to shake I'm Lirt by the way.
    Emmis

The gnome looks away from the fountain for a moment. "Emmis Minas. Pleased to meet another person I don't have to look up at." He grins at that.

10. - Top - End - #40

Azurous

A bright smile spreads across Azurous face, relived they had not taken offence.
    “Glad to meet you Aarenil, yes this is Scrya my close friend and familiar.” Scrya then jumps onto the table to inspect the others more thoroughly, “he seems to think I’m blind and deaf and is determined to make up for it.”
    “Do any of you have a familiar, or picked an animal to become one?”

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

In the door to the common room appears a roast chicken in midair, headless and flapping what used to be its wings.
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2008-05-26 at 08:44 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

GnomeWizardGuy

Aarenil

"Have a seat Azurous. I've always been a cat person my..." Aarenil looks confusedly at the chicken. "What is that?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The roast chicken flaps away into the corridor.

14. - Top - End - #44

Atan and Minya

As the silence stretched uncomfortably between Gorlon, the fey, his sister, and himself, Atan noticed another human approach and try to say something to Minya. Since no one had said anything, Atan backed away from Gorlon and the fey.

"Well, it seems you two have something to discuss," he said, by way of farewell. Heading back to his room at the far end of the top floor, he tried to draw Minya after him, despite the fact Gorlon and the fey were standing in front of her room. She had spoken to him for the first time in a month! The pointed glance she shot him, then her door, prompted him to help her stow her luggage first. As she shut the door, he said, "Minya, I--"
    "Don't think I'm not still mad at you," she said, cutting him off.
    "Uh, ok..."
    "No matter how mad you make me, you're still my brother. And I think we need to stick together. But don't think I'm happy about being a thousand miles away from my friends."
    "Look, I'm sorry. But you know I'm not cut out for this. And Mother and Father know it, too, even if they won't admit it."
    "Why couldn't you have been first, then I wouldn't have to deal with this."
    "Oh come on! It was two minutes!"
    "Tell them that!"
    Well into rehashing a century-old argument, the siblings had it out for a few minutes before reemerging from Minya's room and heading down to the common room, Atan trailing behind his sister.

Spoiler
    Show
    The conversation between Minya and Atan was worked out off thread. Don't try this at home! Just say "no" to god-modding!
    As far as rooms, if I'm wrong about mine being on the second floor, please let me know.

15. - Top - End - #45

GnomeWizardGuy

Aarenil

"Anyone?"

As the two newcomers enter, Aarenil's mouth still hangs open. "Did you two pass a flying roast chicken on your way here?" And then his face turns bright red as he notices who has entered. He stands ceremoniously. "May I offer you a seat, my lady?" And pulling up a chair, he offers a seat to the man as well.

Bowing, he introduces himself again, and then goes to find a chair for himself.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the wealth of posts today! It was a particularly slow one!
    Last edited by OneFamiliarFace; 2008-05-26 at 09:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Azurous

Azurous looks in shock at the apparition, his bewilderment amplified by Scrya’s own coming across the empathic link. Recovering slightly he says “Must have been an illusion.”
    Meanwhile Scrya follows the chicken, possibly checking it for edibility.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Liam (not Ravenquill yet, so I'll take that out - just call him Liam)

Liam looks thoughtful, "Interesting... I'm not sure what it was exactly. Though there are a number of magical effects that might have emulated it, illusion seems the most likely." He nods to the newcomer and his familiar, "Greetings, Azurous... Scrya." His eyes seem far away for a moment, "I actually raised several pet ravens at home, but didnt' bring any to the college. I've read so many arguments for and against the bonding of familiars that I thought I'd give matters a little time before finally deciding."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-05-26 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Epimetheus...
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

In the hallway, near the exit door stands a grinning Gorlon. The broiler flaps towards him, then disappears without a trace. "It's lunchtime. Are you ready for something to eat? I am starving, but then I've been up all day awaiting the firsties." Next to him stands a barefoot, shy-looking halfling with curly brown hair, wearing a dark brown tunic. He grins awkwardly at you, but doesn't say anything.

"Just drop off your bag and join us, I'll give you the talk after lunch.", Gorlon says to him. "This is Elda Tealeaf, necromanceress-to-be. Why don't you introduce yourselves on the way to the dining hall?" The halfling blushes a little and tries desperately not to stare at the floor. Only now that he mentions it do you recognize that "he" is actually a young woman.

Gorlon pins a note to the dorm door that reads "I am at lunch. Be back at 13. Come to the dining hall or wait in the common room. - Gorlon, the Introducer" There is a tiny script at the bottom of the note that you can't read from afar. (If you want to read it, look inside the spoiler)
    Spoiler
    Show
    you get closer to the note and read: "explosive runes... just kidding"

Gorlon can't suppress a grin as the first of you squints to read the fine print. "Let's go", he says and leads you to the dining hall.

The dining hall is a huge hall, a square almost a hundred feet each side. Tables stand in five orderly rows, sitting five people at each side. At next to the doors that presumably lead to the kitchen, a buffet stands on tables covered with a clean white tablecloth. Stacks of plates and baskets with knives, forks and spoons are at one end, where a four elder students stand in line for bowls of hot vegetable soup, plates of steaming cabbage, carrots and even a few slices of meat.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Liam

The tall, gangly black-haired fellow rises and is the first to squint at Gorlon's second joke, shaking his head at the self-proclaimed "Introducer." He nods to the halfling with a smile, "Good day, Miss Tealeaf, I am Liam.. Robartson." There is only the slightest pause as he uses the surname that identifies his father.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

20. - Top - End - #50

GnomeWizardGuy

Aarenil

With a sigh, Aarenil gets up for lunch. Well, I may never get a chance to talk with her. Either way, he ends up quite engaged with Liam's latest inquiry, and he discusses it in length on the way to the dining hall. "Now that is a very interesting train of thought. I wonder if my father ever wrote anything about familiars. I have not yet been able to read all of his books. He is quite verbose, and that translates well in his writings." He looks over at his companions and shrugs, raising two arms in the air. "Well, I'd say they seem to enjoy it. Look at Scrya there. I don't see a problem with it, so long as they are treated well. What say you, Trahone?"

Again forgetting himself, he finishes by introducing himself to the halfling girl, and flashing her a smile.
    Last edited by OneFamiliarFace; 2008-05-26 at 10:16 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

She looks at each of you in turn and brings up the resolve to say "Hi, I'm Elda. Nice to meet you." without opening her mouth much. At a loss at what else to say, she seems to shrink back a little and her eyes wander to the floor. Sweat starts to form on her forehead and she unconsciously rubs her palms against her tunic.
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2008-05-26 at 10:17 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

A light rumbling comes from Emmis' stomach, and he laughs. "I think I'm hungry. Come on Lirt, let's go see what's cooking in the dining hall."

23. - Top - End - #53

Azurous

“Having an empathic bond is an amazing experience, but I would advise you to make sure you like an animal before you bond with it.” Laughing Azurous continues “My sister Tyrygosa keeps threatening to cook here current familiar.”

Azurous heads out and towards the dining room. Scrya emits an almost human “eek” as his master translates the smaller pictures as the image of an explosion in his face.

Bowing to the shy halfling Azurous names himself “Nice to meet you Elda Tealeaf my name is Azurous, son of Merithra and Nihil. I hope we can be friends.” Adding in the semi privacy of his head, you look like you could use one.

Following Gorlon he says in a conspiratorial tone “I would be wary, my familiar has been known to take revenge for pranks without my knowledge.” Looking at his face it is impossible to see if he is being serious or playful.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Liam

The tall, dark Chondathan looks thoughtful, "If I wanted a familiar, I would pick a raven, I think. Likely one I'd raised myself. I know a bit about training animals, though ravens are so smart I hesitate to classify them as simply animals. I've always identified with them... the only creature I know who is simply too smart for their station in life." He pauses, realizing he's being self-aggrandizing.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

25. - Top - End - #55

Lirt

Lirt says to the gnome Yup, us little folk have to stick together sometimes. He pauses sniffing I think I smell food, you want to go check it out?
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya

A book nestled under one arm, Minya walked down to the common room, hoping a few minutes of pleasant reading would calm her nerves, roiled up as usual by conflict with Atan. She stopped suddenly at the sight of the chicken rolling towards her. Laughing gaily, she said, "Look, brother! The cook has a sense of humor! I wonder if this will be test of our creativity; 'First, catch a chicken' as the famous recipe begins." Still giggling like the teenager she was, Minya neatly skirted the bird and then walked into the common room. She paused at the entrance when she noticed the crowd, and blushed shyly.

Quote Originally Posted by OneFamiliarFace View Post
    Aarenil
    As the two newcomers enter, Aarenil's mouth still hangs open. "Did you two pass a flying roast chicken on your way here?" And then his face turns bright red as he notices who has entered. He stands ceremoniously. "May I offer you a seat, my lady?" And pulling up a chair, he offers a seat to the man as well.

Bowing, he introduces himself again, and then goes to find a chair for himself.
    Minya turned quickly to get out of the way of whoever was behind her, only then realizing that Aarenil meant herself. "Oh, no, 'my lady' isn't really appropriate, Aarenil," she said, blushing hotly, "Mother would be Lady Istaya; just call me Minya. Oh, and this lunkhead is my brother Atan. He likes trees." She eagerly sat down in the seat Aarenil suggested and then continued, "Yes, I did note the chicken. It looks like this will be an interesting place to study." She paused for a moment, a distant look on her face and then went to open a window. Soon, a raven flew in and landed on the table. In a grumbling voice, he screetched at Minya in Draconic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I don't know what your problem is, Missy! This is a very nice place. One of the gardeners even gave me a juicy grasshopper. You need to stop being so picky--" "Shush! Scold me later, you." "Ohhhh, making new friends already, I see. So much for 'nobody there will ever like me', hmmm? Fine, I can wait."

After a short dialogue, the bird settled down to preening, after a beady-eyed glance and a collegial nod towards the weasel.

At Gorlon's invitation, Minya scrambled up and followed them to lunch, after quickly putting her book back in her room. She wished she'd had a chance to bathe first, especially as she felt especially dusty and sweaty, but she was hungry. She stopped for a moment to read the note, blanched, and then giggled again. She raced a bit to catch up with the group.

"Ah, everyone? I am Minya Istaya, and this is my friend Cerpe of the sharp tongue," she said, indicating the raven now perched on her shoulder. "Atan is my brother, and we are from Waterdeep." She turned to Elda and said, "It's wonderful to meet you. I'm more interested in evocation spells myself, but I do think necromantic spells have their place in magic. Like all spells, it is not the necromantic nature of the spell itself that determines the 'good' or 'evil' of an act, but rather the use and intent of the spellcaster... Oh, sorry," she said, blushing again, "I'm going on rather a lot, aren't I. Oh, look, the dining hall!" she finished, brightly, hoping no one would notice her lapse into pedagogy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently, this morning was a particularly bad time for the computer to get the hiccups. Things are zipping along!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Liam

Liam nods to the young lady and her bird, "Good day Minya... Cerpe..." He smiles, "I think all schools of magic have their uses for good or ill, but it seems human nature that we sometimes ascribe darker import to the arcane arts that are more... disturbing to our sensibilities."
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-05-26 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Epimetheus...
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

28. - Top - End - #58

Azurous

Stopping to let Scrya return to his neck Azurous hears a young elf introduce herself.
    “Greetings Minya and Cerpe, I am Azurous, son of Merithra and Nihil, this is Scrya. It is nice to know I’m not the only one with a familiar.”

“I my self prefer not to sacrifice diversity for power, but I know that doing so can have its advantages.” Both Scrya and Azurous’s own stomach make it clear that they have a preference to further conversation. “Could we talk more over lunch? I would be interested to know what branches you gave up.” This question is directed at both Minya and Elda.

Azurous then continues towards the dining hall.

Spoiler
    Show

Has been a lot of posting today, just glad my collage is out or I would never have been able to keep up

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

"Sure. Let's go." Emmis will head towards the dining hall.

30. - Top - End - #60

Atan

Atan scowled as Minya introduced Cerpe before him, and all the other students said hello to the stupid bird. It had been bad enough over the last month having to speak through the raven if he had anything to say to his sister. Now he was somewhere behind it in the social order.

He'd left his bow and sword in his room, but kept the matched knives at his belt, and remained dressed in his leathers. School or no, they were comfortable, and he'd feel naked without them. Lost in thought, and ignored by his sister's new acquaintances, Atan strode to the dining hall, unaware of how far behind he'd left the rest of the group until he arrived at the door and found himself alone. He paused for a moment, considering, then entered the hall and queued up behind the four apparent upperclassmen. As he worked his way down the buffet, he piled his plate high with as much meat and vegetables as he was allowed, and balanced a bowl of soup in his other hand. He selected an empty table, and tore into his food. Arguing with his parents in the morning had killed his appetite for breakfast, and speaking with his sister for the first time in a month had restored it with a vengeance.