New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pass on what you have learned IC

Liam

Liam nods to Azurous as the group walks out of the dining hall. Watching Gorlon with the other newcomers, Liam just nods to himself. "Well, I think I'll walk around the campus to get a feel for the place until three o'clock. Anyone want to go along?"
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-05-27 at 10:03 AM.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lirt

The beer makers wanders onward following teh two gnomes. The library sounds like fun to me. Always a good place to get some quiet work done. You can hear the off target sarcasm in his voice hinting at something else.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

"We are learning to be mages, which will require a good bit of study Lirt. I doubt that they'll want your beer formula as an entry fee." Emmis grins at the halfling as they continue to walk towards the library.

4. - Top - End - #94

Lirt

Oh they can't have MY formula yet. Its not ready yet! And besides they wouldn't want a little apprentice brewer's recipe anyway. They already tried to get teh family recipe and grandpa said no.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trahone

Finishing his meal just Gorlon speaks, Trahone nods in agreement while he takes his final swallow. When the group returns to the dorm, the amount of new students and their variety puts him on guard. He quickly agrees to join Liam and Azurous with exploring the campus. He follows their lead on where to go.
    Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

Thank you Caracol for my avatar.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Liam

As Liam wanders toward the library, Trahone is following. Once they've broken away from the group, Liam looks at Trahone curiously, "So, what is it that caused your superiors to see you as benefiting from magical training? If you don't mind me asking..."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You enter the library through the closest door and stand inside a large hall. The walls are covered with shelves, and freestanding shelves form corridors throughout the hall. A few are empty, some have books on them, but seldom covering more than half their width. A rather young dark-haired human greets you in a lowered voice. "Welcome, you must be the new ones. It's good to see you found your way here so quickly. In the afternoon I will give an introduction into our indexing system for the first-year students. In the libraries, the books are sorted by topic. The topics are indicated by these signs here, so this tells you that you are in the 'Cormyr' section, and there is a reading room in the center of each floor. Please don't take any books out of the library. For now, you can have a look around, but please keep your voice down if you must talk. If you have any questions, please ask."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Quickly looking at the pointers, Emmis asks a question. "Do you have Traveling in the shadows of the Underdark? I can't remember the author, but I was reading it at my papa's house before I left for here. It was a history and geography book about the Underdark. The author was an illusionist mage, I think."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trahone

"I am not quite sure why they thought I would do well with magical training. I mean, I have told them experiences. I think they sense that I have some talent. But I would have never thought that to be true. Honestly, if I did not trust and respect him, I would have laughed off his advise." Trahone answers as he looks around the library.

He wanders through the Dalelands section and a small frown appears. I would have thought there was a little more information about my homeland. He picks up a book about the military and flips through it quickly. He stops through it about halfway, shocked. Wait. I thought I knew about everything about this battle. But it says here that we used a different tactic than our records show. Trahone finds another book and checks. This one shows what he originally knew. Apparently the two strategies are similar. Let me see. Ah. Here is the difference. It is what you do with the archers and such. Placing them on one side instead of the back changes the whole plan and effects. As he places the book back, Liam hears Trahone mutter "I should remember that."

He then meanders downstairs into the Arcane section. He then enters the Spellcraft area. Standing in the doorway between the two, Trahone whistles. "That is a lot of books for these two subjects. I thought most spells were very similar. And how to use them. But there is an entire shelf dedicated to just wands. I think I am going to spend a lot of time in this building."
    Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Liam

The tall student nods, "There is a lot to know about every field of magic."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

11. - Top - End - #101
    Halfling in the Playground

Azurous

Arriving at the library with the others and hearing the librarians instructions Azurous decides to explore the rest of the grounds before looking closely at any one building. Keeping his voice low he tells his companions, “Ill see you at the Arcane college a little before three.”

Ok Scrya you have a look around the walls and work in while I check the buildings, lets see what’s to find. Scrya Jumps from his perch and makes for the front gate as Azurous heads for the large building east of the library and enters.

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming the map on page 1 is set to “north = up” so am heading for the collage of universal magic.
    Last edited by AngelForm; 2008-05-28 at 03:00 AM.
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?

12. - Top - End - #102

Atan

With nothing better to do, and the possibility of a brawl no longer on offer, Atan wandered the grounds. He saw several of his fellow students head for the library, but felt it just wouldn't interest him. Returning to the fountain that had so fascinated his sister on the way in, he spent a few moments contemplating the imagery, and the skill of its creator. Shrugging, he decided he'd never quite understand, and returned to drifting aimlessly about the campus, getting the lay of the "land".

Spoiler
    Show
    Is there a clock on campus, say, affixed to one of the towers?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Azurous enter the building and finds himself in a small auditorium about the size of his room at the dorm. Right next to the door through which he came stands a large table, at the wall behind it a blackboard. Facing the board are four rows of eight smaller tables each, with a chair behind each table. Apart from that, the room is empty, and he tests the door on the opposite wall. It opens into a hallway of about ten foot width, with doors on both sides. To the left he can see the first steps of a stairway leading upwards. The door on the opposite side has a sign that says "please check with a lab assistant before using the labs" in neat handwriting. Just as you think about where to go next, you hear a bell strike three times.

OOC: There is no clock on campus, but there is a bell on top of the mundane college building that tolls each hour.

You all hurry to the arcane college, where at the southeast side two doors stands wide open. The group of latecomers that stayed at the dorm is just filing in, and you follow them into a fairly large auditorium that has room for about three times the number of people that are inside now. The chancellor is nowhere to be seen. Gorlon sits in the back row, joking with a rather pretty girl, and is paying you no attention. A middle-aged man is sitting in the middle of the first row, which has a small wooden sign on each seat and seems to be reserved. He is scribbling something in a notebook.

While you are still deciding on the best seats, one of the doors in the back opens, and two elves and one human, all wearing academic robes, enter and occupy the rightmost seats in the first row.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

At the tolling of the second hour past noon, Emmis will make his way out of the library and to the auditorium to explore that place. At the third tolling, he finds attempts to find a seat that has been raised up so he can sit and still see the front. If he can't find one, he'll check the tags on the reserved seats, praying they thought about the shorter ones and saved them a seat.

If not, he'll sit down on the ground next to the front row seats.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya Istaya, elf from Waterdeep

Minya ate a hearty lunch, chatting with her neighbors and trying to get an understanding of who everyone was. Now that the initial excitement of arrival was over and she had a moment to breathe, Minya realized just how nervous she was. Cerpe ate a little from her plate, and then flew up to explore the rafters.

After lunch she returned to her room and completed unpacking. She noticed Nuale's things on her side of the room, but saw no sign of the girl herself. "Maybe I can find her in the library. At least, we can talk after the chancellor's speech. At least I hope we can. They do seem to keep us very busy."

The library sucked her in, and she soon found herself on the third floor, happily reading Khanneck's Guide to Materiel Strengths and Weaknesses. She noticed a bell tolling in the distance, but ignored it. When it tolled again, Minya heard footsteps retreating down the steps and realized it was time for the chancellor's introduction. She carefully replaced the book back in its place on the shelf, and raced downstairs, nimbly whipping around the corners in her haste. "This is probably against the rules. Well, I can always plead youth and enthusiasm and beg to be let off with a warning..."

Once in the room, Minya looked around. She wanted to be in the second row behind the reserved seats. Not too close to the front, not too far in the back. Second, she would like to sit near some of those she had met in the dorm. Spotting Emmis, she waved, hoping he would find a seat to fit. Once she had picked a seat, she looked around and waited, excitement roiling her stomach. Cerpe perched on the back of her chair, uncharacteristically quiet.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Halfling in the Playground

Azurous

Azurous spends the remaining time familiarising him self with the ground.
    Hearing the bell he proceeds to the arcane college, collecting a grumbling Scrya on the way. Go scout, don’t go scout, lets both go scout, can you make up your mind? Seeing people already going in Azurous enters and takes a seat near the back. If he sees Liam or Trahone come in he beckons them over.

He then awaits the chancellor while Scrya, out of habit, keeps a watch on the entrances.
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?

17. - Top - End - #107

Lirt

Lirt tools around teh library wandering the aisles looking for nothing in particular but getting the lay of the library and the locations of where the likely librarians will be.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Liam

Liam was wandering through the library, getting a feel for it when he heard the tolling of the three-o'clock bell. He hurries over to the arcane college and enters the auditorium, taking an empty seat. I wonder what Lorelion will have to say to us all?
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trahone

Browsing through the library, Trahone does not try to keep track of the time. When the bell starts striking, he thinks that it is only two past noon. That is until there is a third bell toll. He then races out of the library and towards the auditorium. He gets in just before the door closes. He looks for a seat and finds one next to Azurous. "Thank you for saving me a seat. Lost track of time." Trahone whispers to his friend right when the speaker gets to the podium.

20. - Top - End - #110

Lirt

Hearing the bell Lirt breaks into a careful run into the auditorium slipping into a seat with a grin at whoever is next to him just as the speaker walks on.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Nuale

She'd already done a circuit of the campus and unpacked, so Nuale was left without much to occupy herself in the time between lunch and the chancellor's welcome. She spent it on another slow circuit, wandering into the open buildings and taking a quick look around some of them before leaving again. Empty buildings with nobody to welcome or even tacitly allow her presence by not requesting her to leave made her feel vaguely as if she wasn't supposed to be there.

At the bell, she hurries to the auditorium, taking a seat in the middle of the hall that wasn't next to anybody at the moment. Not much to do but wait and see if the chancellor's speech was useful and informative, or just a plain welcome. She could do with useful and informative; she was sure there were a number of facets of life here she was ignorant of. But if the chancellor didn't address those, she'd find out elsewhere.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

22. - Top - End - #112

Atan

Atan heard the first strike of the bell, and hurried to the auditorium. Fortunately, he was relatively close, so he found himself at the door before the third strike. Picking his way forward, he found a seat near the middle and settled in for what he expected to be another boring lecture. His parents had often dragged their offspring to various colloquia and other academic functions, but Atan had never failed to feel out of place. He watched as his sister took her usual seat in the second row. She always seemed to enjoy these things. At least she seemed to be fitting in, so that was something. And really, four years wasn't that long a time. He'd been grounded for two, once, after all. This was only twice that, and involved being away from ever present parental authority, so maybe it wasn't all bad. Maybe.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Noticing Emmis look around, Gorlon yells "They're in the cabinet." and points him to one. Opening the door, Emmis finds a stack of seat raisers to put on the chairs. Elda spots them when you take one out and gets one for herself, too.

Between the third strike of the bell and the arrival of the first group of professors, several minutes pass. Azurous feels a tap on his shoulder, and turns to face a grinning Gorlon. "Hey. It's great that you're all trying to be punctual, but there's really no need to. Since there is no reliable way of telling time for most people, when I said we meet at three, I meant *** tempore, so that you would have time to get here after you heard the bell. If somebody wants you to be punctual, they'll say 'at exactly three' or write s.t. for sine tempore, but that rarely happens. Be sure to pass the word, ok?" With that, he returns to the girl.

Several Minutes later, a the door opens again for a middle-aged balding man wearing a blue academic hat and a blue robe, trimmed with white and silver, and adorned with the seven stars of mystra on the chest. He is accompanied by two elves wearing robes of a darker blue, one trimmed with black, the other with gold. They also take seats in the front row, and chat amongst themselves. Shortly after them follow, also in the dark blue robes of the faculty, a gnome and another elf, whom Liam recognizes as the chancellor. The gnome stands in front of the audience and announces "Please close the doors.". Guards, who have waited outside, and who must have arrived after you since you did not notice them before, close the doors, but stay outside. He waits until this has happened and until Trahone has found his seat, then continues: "Please welcome Chancellor Lorelion." Everybody rises from their seats, and the elf who entered last walks up to the front.

OOC: I'll assume everybody has made it into the room by now, because you won't be let in after the doors are closed.
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2008-05-28 at 08:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Emmis stands in his chair for the Chancellor.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Barbarian in the Playground

Epsun

Lost in a book on magical creatures, Epsun nearly misses the third bell, arriving at the auditorium just before they close the doors. Slipping in to a seat near the back, he finds it most prudent to remain standing as the chancellor enters the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Apologies for the delay - I'm on a business trip where I'd assumed internet wouldn't be a problem. >.<

I should have regular Internet tomorrow during the day, though.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-05-28 at 10:12 PM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

26. - Top - End - #116

Nazeem Sural
    Nazeem, who had been caught up in the frenzy of fellow new students (and had more or less been thrown about the campus itself through the deluge of conversation and mingling), eventually made his way to the hall, where he spotted the others and rejoined them.

"Many apologies," he said, in slightly off Chondathan "The events of today have had me in a great muddle."

He doesn't get much further before everyone is asked to stand - a instruction he follows after taking a moment to recenter himself.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-05-29 at 06:38 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The chancellor steps behind the table in the front, on which a small lectern sits. He does not carry any notes and starts immediately, speaking slowly and firmly, and commanding your attention from the first word. "Welcome, new students, to the Suzail University of Magic. I am Chancellor Lorelion and it is always a great pleasure for me to see eager young wizards and other casters, aspiring to be one day counted among the best of their field. And that you will be, for although this institution is only in its fifth year, it already has a reputation that reaches far beyond the borders of Cormyr. A reputation for ingenuity, for studiousness, and for excellence. And you will be demanded to meet this reputation.

Wizards have a reputation for being queer hermits, mad with a lust for power. We strive to transform this image. You will be imparted with knowledge not only of all things magical, but you will have to choose another subject to broaden your horizon. You will travel Faerun and maybe even beyond that, you will learn about the world, and I want you to use your knowledge to transform it into something better. Stand in the middle of society, share your knowledge. The power you will gain is not an end in its own, you can use it to accomplish something. This is my vision of magic, and I share it with a growing number of spellcasters.

Now you have other concerns though. The method of teaching magic at a university is completely new and you are among the first to enjoy it. It will free apprentices from the arbitrariness of their masters, who teach when they are in the mood, and share what they feel like. It will provide a sound and consistent education on the field for all. People will know what they can expect from a magister artium magicae when they call on your services, and call on them they will, kings and commoners alike. Now you will lay the foundation for your later life, and all the effort you invest now will pay off eightfold. Today is your first day here, and the first day of your new life. Enjoy it; tomorrow your classes will start. I congratulate you on your decision to come here, you will not regret it once you have your degree."

He goes to sit down in the middle of the front row. The gnome stands up and turns to face you. "Now to organisational things. My name is Lokan Hilston, I am the dean of the arcane college. I will briefly introduce the heads of the institutions to you. High priest of Mystra is the Blessed Ormred Honand." The middle-aged man with the symbol of Mystra on his robe rises, turns to you, bows slightly, and sits down again. "Head of the college of universal magic is dean Cirduin." The elf with the black-trimmed robe next to the high priest rises, bows to you and sits down again. "Dean Finlas of the college of magical foundations." The elf with the gold-trimmed robe repeats the gesture. "Amrul Dontur, dean of mundane lore." The middle-aged man who has been scribbling into his notebook for the whole time looks up, then rises, bows and sits down again. "Miriel, the head librarian." An elderly elf with long white hair flowing down his shoulders greets you. "Gambald Bighat, the head of the magic item creation department." Gambald is a rather young human, with a wide smile, who also repeats the gesture of his predecessors. Dean Hilston pulls out a scroll of a pocket and unrolls it. "I will now read the names of the students of each college. Students of the arcane college are:
    Aelian
    Atan Istaya
    Azurous
    Elda Tealeaf
    Emmis Minas
    Ermus Rodmund
    Golo Verort
    Iolyn
    Kawyn Arkell
    Leon Morund
    Liam Ravenquill
    Lirt Lagerstone
    Minya Istaya
    Nazeem Sural
    Ruasil
    Shirla
    Please be in the big auditorium of the arcane college tomorrow at eight.

The students of the college of universal magic are:
    Elurin
    Epsun Penderdark
    Ganel Turis
    Haldur Lunek
    Philomelin
    Simaith
    Thonar Hammerhead
    Tiadul
    Trahone Korth
    Please be in the big auditorium of your college tomorrow at eight.

The students of the department of item creation are:
    Arin Grigori
    Nuale
    Ulf Ironbeard
    Please be in the big workshop of your department tomorrow at nine.

If any of you have any questions, please do not hesitate to consult with a lecturer of your college. Most of them have their office doors open unless they don't want to be disturbed. Thank you for your attention. I wish you all the best for your time here."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Emmis nods politely at each name, grinning widely at his own. When the dean finishes, Emmis speaks to himself, but at a normal tone of voice. "I've got questions. Like can you teach me to make that image on the fountain." He grins to himself, thinking on it. He hops down from the chair once dismissed, replacing the riser before leaving.

If possible, he'll try to catch Dean Hilston afterwards. He approaches with a big smile, eyes alight with possibilities. "Did you create the fountain? I've never seen such detail, even from other wizards that came by Green Fields. Where did you find the models, and how did you manage to get them to hold still long enough to study them to that level of detail?"

Emmis is fearless in his questioning, but still attempts to be respectful even as he rapidly fires off his questions.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trahone

Turning to face Azurous, "I guess that answers the question of studying together or not. I wonder what the difference between the colleges are." Trahone then rises and follows the crowd out of the auditorium. I should remember all of those names. They could be very helpful. Especially my dean. Magic Item creation department sounds interesting also. I should look into that latter. Turning to face Liam and Azurous, "Do you suppose we are assigned roommates or we get to choose them? And what else should we do now that our lecture is over?"

30. - Top - End - #120
    Barbarian in the Playground

Epsun

Universal magic, eh? Well, here goes nothin'.

He leaves his seat, keeping his thoughts to himself unless spoken to, and returns to his room to prepare for classes on the morrow.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)