New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Pass on what you have learned IC

The dean seems to recieve your curtness not well at all. "And I fail to see why this institution should provide everything for you. If we ship you there, provide for your food and tents, sponsor pack animals, and ship you back here, we might as well provide you with a guide and turn this into a picnic. You might have had rich parents, but you are on your own now. This is not purely an educational journey, it will prepare you for life after you leave here, and I would not say that you are prepared if you never went out and bought your equipment yourself. And there is a difference between me giving you money and telling you to go buy yourself something nice and you using your own. If you don't need your tent anymore after the trip, you can sell it again, I don't care." He stops, seeming a little short of breath. "And if you plan to get snippy every time you don't get your way, you will run into quite a bit of trouble in your life", he adds, getting out a handkerchief to wipe some sweat off his forehead.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Emmis shrugs at what's been said so far. "Since we only have two of the teleport sticks, I assume you don't want us to split into more than two groups. Since these lizards, as I recall, can generate enough electricity to kill if there are two or more together, I think that's a fair idea. Do you know how plentiful the forest is with these things? Should we go expecting to run into multiples of them at once?" His voice is calm, trying to redirect the dean onto a different thread of questioning.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The dean looks a little irritated at your interruption. "What? Oh, yes. Well. Mating season should be over by now, so I would think the chances of encountering more than one at a time are slim. And you are right about not splitting up too much. That can be dangerous. When you go out into the wild, you have to rely on your companions. Your strength lies in cooperation." He nods affirmatively, having regained his composure.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

"May I be excused then? I have the feeling I'm going to want to dig up some very good maps, hopefully with known nests. I don't want to run into a momma and babies. Imagine, death by baby shocker lizards."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

Atan

After the others had left, Atan approached the Dean with a smile he couldn't suppress. "Thank you, sir. I really can't thank you enough for this opportunity," he said, trying hard not to be too happy. "I'll do my best, really!"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam goes into town and purchases a few items for the trip, making the most of what he has available. He frowns when he realizes he really doesn't have enough for a tent, not that he is particularly happy with how much even a two-man tent weighs. As for the weight of the rations, that was a self-correcting problem. After getting the best deal he can on his money, he goes to the library and plans out several questions he wishes to research over the next few days. At each mealtime he is open to conversation to any of his classmates, but being used to tackling problems on his own he doesn't overtly seek advice from others.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

7. - Top - End - #157

Nazeem Sural
    "I have heard this said many times in my youth, and I am unsure as to why you take such umbrage at such a simple observation. Rations and bedrolls are not so great an expense. But you have named your terms, and I shall endeavour to succeed."

Nazeem leaves Bighat to his simmering fury and retired to his quarters to plan his next moves. Seemingly the dean was more interested in contracting indentured students than in the principles he'd just proclaimed. But that was of little issue.

He still had his Falchion in case the need for self-defence came up, even if he wasn't much good with it, and he could make do without a tent.

It was no great expense, though 20gp was a costly amount regardless.

As he listed off the things he would buy in town, Arin returned from his own meeting.

"So Arin, what has Professor Elowyn assigned you as your task?"

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"If you don't have any more questions, you are free to leave. I'm sure of that. I can imagine that you're happy to get some time outside.",he replies to Atan, winking at him.

Arin sits on his bed, scribbling away into a notebook. "We're supposed to get some material components. Can you believe that? I mean, my job is creating items, why do I have to go on some expedition I couldn't care less about?" He looks a little frustrated. "Why can't I be in your group? You have my prof as an adviser. I bet you got some awesome task."

9. - Top - End - #159

Atan

Atan laughed on his way out the door, narrowly avoiding a collision with the door jamb in his haste. He could barely contain himself on his way back to the dorm and whooped as he dashed up the hall to his room. Gathering up his bow and other gear, he ducked out the door nearest his room, and lit out for the forest in the gathering gloom, waving to the gate guard on his way past. Once among the trees, he paused and took a deep breath, letting the evening air wash over and through him. It felt good to be hunting again, even if he would have to return to the college later in the evening.

10. - Top - End - #160

Nazeem Sural
    "I wish I were so fortunate. Bighat has told us to go north and catch shocker lizards for spell components. What of yours?" replies Nazeem with a sigh.

"Do you have to pay for your food and equipment also? Mr Bighat insisted that we must buy our necessities from our own pouches."

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Yes, us too. I don't get it. If we stay here, we get everything for free, so why do we have to pay for our trip?" he replies, with an accusatory undertone.
    (OOC: enough of that, let's move on. Forward two days.)

On the fourth-day, those of you who want to go buy equipment join the other students on their trip to Suzail.

Suzail - capital of Cormyr. Those of you who have never been there are impressed by its 80 feet high city walls, sturdy towers overlooking the land the massive Field Gate through which you enter the city. The guards at the gate wave you through, obviously recognizing you for what you are. The streets bustle with activity, and a line of carts has accumulated from the gate to where one of then lies with a broken axis, shortly before the market. People have gathered around it and shout helpful advise while trying to get it off the road. Looking for the shop that was recommended to you, you pass the market and turn left at the shortly before the Crying Witch tavern, and again shortly before the Golden Goblin. In the side streets, there is significantly ledd traffic. After a few yards, you stand before a large house on the right-hand side that sports a sign depicting a campfire hanging out into the street. Another sign over the door informs you that you are about to enter "Eryas equipment emporium". An attractive red-haired woman greets you. "Hi, my name is Erya. You must be the wizards from the university. I have just what you need for your expedition, at prices you won't find anywhere else in this town. Have a look around, and call me if you need anything."
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2008-06-06 at 10:59 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Spoiler
    Show
    Since the incident of the test where a Liam's stylus broke and he called to a Raven at the window (apparently one he had raised in his barn, which had flown from home and taken up residence in one of the University towers) which flew to him and he plucked one of its feathers for a quill, he has been going by the name the students started calling him by. Apparently he preferred it to his former surname. He's been dressing more in black, apparently to create a new image to go with the name, as well as cutting his hair in a crest that appears feathered.

The young man in black smiles to the woman whom he apparently knows, or at least seems familiar with, "Good Afternoon, Erya." Liam sorts through various materials to finally produce a pile of goods: trail rations, a backpack, a waterskin, a bedroll, a tinderbox, an oil lamp, and three flasks of oil. He lays them all out. "How much?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The book price is 17 gold.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya (in the kitchens)

Minya tried to interrupt the flow of food, but fails. Eventually she gave up and just savored the soup and bread, since soon enough it would be time for dried meats and trail rations.

"Thank you! Ten of us are to go into the forest in search of shocker lizards. It sounds terribly educational, and, well, scary." Minya dropped her voice to a whisper at the last. She leaned in and continued in a confessional tone. "Am I terrible for being this excited about it? The only thing is, Father and Mother were always concerned with logistics and things and we have to have the food. Anything you can spare from stores that will keep for a month would be really, really helpful," she finished, wringing her hands.

Minya blushed bright red with embarassment as she continued, "Oh, and, uh, one other thing and please don't laugh at me. I don't know how to cook, well, anything." Words tumbled forth, "I can barely keep up with my studies as it is and I never had time to learn any of the useful things and I just know I'll bollocks it all up. Could you, maybe, show me how to boil rice? I thought if we bought a big bag of rice we could use it to stretch the rations..."

(around campus)
    Later, Minya found Gorlon and asked if she could speak to him. If he agreed, she asked him if he had been on one of these expeditions, and if so, if he had any advice to give her, or in fact, any advice at all about being a student at the University.

At some time while she was not buried in her school books, she asked the librarians for any old expedition reports she might be able to read. If necessary, she searched the archives herself.

(shopping)
    With Atan's list and the 10 gp advanced by the University, Minya began a careful purchase of what she thought she could not do without on the expedition.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You are able to make your purchases at satisfactory prices. It seems the recommendeation by your fellow students was justified. After a short visit at Talahon's rental yards to make reservations for the mules, you return to the campus grounds.

Minya finds Gorlon, and he is happy to talk to her. "Advice about the expedition? It's really not a big deal, you just go there, find whatever you need and bring it back here. It's more to make sure that everybody has seen more of the world that his home and this place here." He looks at you and smiles. "About being a student? This is about the exams, right? You shouldn't worry too much about them. The first exams aren't really fair. They put questions about stuff they haven't covered yet in there, so there's always an element of chance. If you pass here, you'd probably get an A at another place. I think it's partly about how you cope with failure, because persistence in the face of failure is important for a mage."

Most of you spend the next days in the library, bent over books and trying to find the answers to the questions you consider most important with respect to the upcoming expedition. The routine is somewhat interrupted by some commotion at the arcane college on the morning of the eighth-day. You inquire after the reason, and are told that the results of the exams are posted.
    Inded, inside the hall, you find a small crowd of students around the notice-board. Peering over the crowd, or squeezing between their legs, you can read the lists of grades.

Arcane Theory

{table=head]Name | Grade
    Aelian | A+
    Atan Istaya | D
    Azurous | C-
    Elda Tealeaf | C
    Emmis Minas | C
    Ermus Rodmund | C
    Golo Verort | C
    Iolyn | A
    Kawyn Arkell | A
    Leon Morund | C
    Liam Ravenquill | A+
    Lirt Lagerstone | A+
    Minya Istaya | C
    Nazeem Sural | B
    Ruasil | B
    Shirla | A+
    Elurin | B-
    Epsun Penderdark | A
    Ganel Turis | B
    Haldur Lunek | C
    Philomelin | B
    Simaith | B
    Thonar Hammerhead | C
    Tiadul | B+
    Trahone Korth | C+
    Arin Grigori | B
    Nuale | A-
    Ulf Ironbeard | B+
    [/table]

Mundane Lore

{table=head]Name | Grade
    Aelian | A
    Atan Istaya | B
    Azurous | C
    Elda Tealeaf | B+
    Emmis Minas | B+
    Ermus Rodmund | C
    Golo Verort | B+
    Iolyn | C
    Kawyn Arkell | C
    Leon Morund | B+
    Liam Ravenquill | B-
    Lirt Lagerstone | B
    Minya Istaya | A
    Nazeem Sural | C
    Ruasil | B
    Shirla | A
    Elurin | B+
    Epsun Penderdark | A
    Ganel Turis | A+
    Haldur Lunek | B
    Philomelin | A+
    Simaith | B+
    Thonar Hammerhead | A
    Tiadul | C
    Trahone Korth | C+
    Arin Grigori | B
    Nuale | B
    Ulf Ironbeard | B
    [/table]

Magical Applications

{table=head]Name | Grade
    Aelian | B
    Atan Istaya | F
    Azurous | C-
    Elda Tealeaf | C
    Emmis Minas | B
    Ermus Rodmund | B
    Golo Verort | A
    Iolyn | A
    Kawyn Arkell | B
    Leon Morund | B+
    Liam Ravenquill | C
    Lirt Lagerstone | A
    Minya Istaya | C
    Nazeem Sural | B
    Ruasil | A
    Shirla | A
    Elurin | B+
    Epsun Penderdark | A
    Ganel Turis | B+
    Haldur Lunek | C
    Philomelin | A
    Simaith | A
    Thonar Hammerhead | B
    Tiadul | A
    Trahone Korth | A
    Arin Grigori | B+
    Nuale | B
    Ulf Ironbeard | C
    [/table]

The pixie Shirla beams at her result in arcane theory. "Oh, that's marvelous. I never thought I would do so well." Then she flies on the the next list and looks in disbelief at what is written. "Surely that must be a mistake.", she whispers. She takes out her little quill and adds a small '+' to her grade before flying on to the last list. Again she looks twice, and squints before looking again. Another mistake? How can anybody be so sloppy?", she asks insecurely before correcting this mistake, too. Then she looks at her result, and beams again proudly. "That's better now.", she adds and flies off. The other students look at each other in disbelief
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2008-06-07 at 12:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Emmis coughs into his hand, laughing slightly as he uses his innate abilities to make his own changes. Slowly, the top and bottom parts of the + erase and become minuses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Prestidigitation for the win!
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam raises an eyebrow at the pixie's actions. "Some people can't accept failure or mistakes... except of course, we learn more from our failures than our successes. I think if I ever doubted that, Shirla's proved it true for me."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

17. - Top - End - #167
    Barbarian in the Playground

Epsun

After finishing his purchases, Epsun spends most of his time in the library, reading up on the questionshe didn't understand on the exams. When he hears the bustle, he finishes the chapter, then reluctantly heads to over to read the board.

Having arrived a little late, Epsun barely has time to start reading the board before Shirla pulls her antics. Nudging Lirt, he begins "Geez, you'd think she'd be proud enough of those grades - it's few people who got all As to begin with", before stopping short to chuckle appreciatively at whoever is changing her grades again for her.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

18. - Top - End - #168

Atan

Spoiler
    Show
    This is kind of a duplicate post, but I think it fits better here now that the grades are actually posted.

Atan wiped a bead of sweat from his brow as he scanned the first list, and even smiled a little at the second. When he saw the third, though, the color drained from his face a bit. "Two out three ain't bad," he muttered. Looking around at the others, he declared, "I don't know about anyone else, but I need a drink!"

19. - Top - End - #169

Lirt

Lirt walks up to the growing crowd and carefully makes his way to the lists. He scans the lists and lets out a loud whoop of joy. Alright! Last keg being tapped before the field trip! You kow where to find me. He quickly heads back to the kitcen of the dorm and pops the bung on one of his freshly finished brews. Taking the first cup he sits on the counter and relaxes, awaiting the growing party to come.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

20. - Top - End - #170
    Halfling in the Playground

Azurous

Azurous comes to the notice-board just in time to see the alterations being made to Shirla’s grade. After reading his own grade he shrugs. Speaking in draconic, as he often does when he want to speak but is unsure if he wants to be heard, he says “Es würde mehr bedeuten, wenn sie praktische Prüfungen gewesen waren, welcher Gebrauch einen magischen Flugkörper werfen kann, wenn Sie nicht den Bann verwenden können?”

Translation for those that speak draconic, and I think that’s everyone
    Spoiler
    Show

It would mean more if they had been practical exams, what use is knowing how to throw a magic missile if you cannot use the spell?

Suspicious of mages being that trusting Azurous casts Detect magic and attempts to find out what is going to happen to the pixie and Emmis for tampering.

Spoiler
    Show

Maintaining for 3 rounds if I find any magic and spellcraft if I find a spell on the notice-board
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trahone

Arriving to the grade posting, Trahone looks at his grades. "I did not do too bad but not really well. Apparently, Application is my strength." He then notices Azurous is staring intently at the lists. He moves closer and asks how he did and if he has seen Liam. While waiting for his reply, he scans and reads his two close friends grades. I have to get Liam to help me on magical knowledge. I just can not get that down. Maybe I could help him with application in return.
    Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

Thank you Caracol for my avatar.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya

Minya didn't want to look at the list, but hope dragged her there. She knew she had left too many questions blank and given ridiculous answers to others, but perhaps, just perhaps, it would work out anyway.

She blinked furiously as she read and reread the grades posted. It was bad enough that she had failed, but to have it revealed publicly was almost too much to bear.

Ah, well. Atan will be happy to go home. She turned and smiled weakly at her friends. "Congratulations, Lirt. Well done, indeed." With that, she turned and wandered over to the library. Like a homing pigeon returning to her roost, Minya went to her favorite work table in one corner and began to compose the letter she had promised her parents. It was important to be honest, but if there was a way to delay the inevitable, she hoped to find it.

After wasting an hour on a futile task, Minya gave up. Father would find out about the inadequate performance anyway, so there was no sense in trying to whitewash things, even if there was enough whitewash in the universe. He would come to Suzail, pull them from the University and send them somewhere else. Worse, he would probably blame Atan, and Minya knew this wasn't her little brother's fault. Minya's only hope was to delay sending the letter until after the expedition; perhaps a month in the woods would help her find a way to salvage the situation.

She finished her letter, and wandered over to the common room. "Hello, Lirt. Is the invitation still open?" She quickly drained a large flagon of beer and began to sip her second, sharing it with Cerpe. Soon the two of them were singing together in Draconic. Neither was well trained, but they were certainly enthusiastic, especially while ad libbing verses to "What do you do with a drunken magus?" and other rowdy pub songs.

23. - Top - End - #173

Lirt

Lirt watches Minya enter and says Invitaions always open for beautiful girls. You know where the cups are and where the donation box is. Lirt shakes a rough wooden box with a slot on the top for collecting donations for continued beer production. Lirt was always free with the beer, but making stuff costs money. Donations helped offset the costs and as any first year student knows...money is tight when you don't have an income. Lirt might have been able to charge money for some of his brew but that went against his nature and position here in the dorm.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Nuale

Nuale accepts the extra cost without comment when she sees the professor's attitude towards complaints, though it rankles a little. She had enough saved up, but she'd worked for that. It was true that it didn't make sense for the school to baby them through this—she especially appreciated that—but it was also an extra cost, one which they hadn't told the students about before they entered. Had she not sold off one or two of the scrolls she'd brought with her from Thay, she might have been in dire straits about now. She hadn't expected most of the others to have the same difficulty—many had wealthy families—but maybe their families hadn't sent them with money to spare.

(over the week)

She reluctantly takes a single day off class, right before the shopping day, to see what the library had about shocker lizard habits and behavior; otherwise, she is as diligent as usual in attending them. At one point, she offers to help Minya with scribing the scrolls for the Dean, saying that she needs the practice anyway.

(the day of the exam results)

Nuale looks up her own name with mixed feelings. She thought she'd done all right... she thought. She wasn't sure, which made her uncomfortable. It was a relief to see she'd done at least acceptably, if not well, on the tests. She needed to learn, she didn't need to excel; as long as she could stay at the school, she'd be all right.

Feeling faintly guilty, she looks for her roommate's grades; Minya had come back from her exams looking like she'd just done a day in the fields during summer. Oh. Well, it could have been worse. I always thought she was better at practical application than I was—maybe the departments have different exams...

She stops by the common room after a little while, since by the sound of it Lirt has succeeded in getting people to gather, and takes a mug for herself before retiring to sit up against one of the walls to watch the other students mingle. She keeps an eye on Minya as she begins to sing, too. It seems awfully early in the day to be drinking that much—and I would have thought she'd want to be studying. Maybe she just wants to forget about it for a little while...
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #175

Atan

Atan dug in his pouch when Lirt shook the donation box. His remaining four coins weren't hard to find among the scant contents. Weighing how much he intended to drink, he dropped the sole silver piece into the box, returning the gold and two coppers to his pouch. Beer wasn't his preferred poison, but proper liquor was rather beyond his means. As he drank away the hours, he was uncharacteristically quiet, in stark contrast to Minya. Not even her renditions of his favorite drinking songs were able to bring him around. Frowning at his surprisingly unhelpful beer, he set it down, and slunk away to his room. Gathering his gear, he returned to the forest to clear his head, just wandering under the trees instead of stalking game.

26. - Top - End - #176

Lirt

Lirt cracks the box handing the silver back to Atan, Copper only please, this isn't the good stuff. Lirt chuckles. Plus you may need that for the up coming days. I know after shopping for the field trip I'm broke too, but I'm not making drinks for money.

27. - Top - End - #177

Atan

"Well, if you insist. But I think I'll be drinking quite a bit," Atan said exchanging the silver for both of his coppers.

Spoiler
    Show
    When he's dropping coins in the box, he doesn't know he won't be drinking as much as he intends. Thanks for the refund, btw...

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya

"Thanks, Lirt," Minya blushed at his compliment. She turned and put a coin in the donation box and grinned at him. "I know all about it. I think the dean is a little mad at me, too. I wasn't complaining, really I wasn't. I thought it was another test. I guess I'll never get the hang of this place," she mumbled into her mug.

When Atan arrived she tried to drag him into song, "Oh, come on, brother, you know the words. You taught me thissh one." She poked him in the ribs and demanded, "Don't look so glum! By this time next season you'll be back in the forest with Uncle Vanya and shtu-shtu-studying what you love. Drink and be happy! Here, I'll pay for you, if you want. FFather prolly won't even look at your grades once he shpots mine, anyway."

Minya waved at everyone who came in, complimenting the successful students and commiserating with the rest, and continuing to drink. And sing. And drink some more. Eventually Atan, possibly with Nuale's help, poured her into her bed and carried Cerpe, who was too drunk to fly, back to his perch.

In the morning, hungover and desolate, Minya dragged herself to the baths and then to class. By lunchtime she was close enough to normal to participate in class as usual.
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-06-08 at 09:59 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Liam pokes his head into the common room and nods at Lirt. "Congratulations on the exams. Might I beg a little credit for a pint, I'll be glad to pay you back at a later point, but at the moment, I don't have a copper to my name."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

30. - Top - End - #180
    Halfling in the Playground

Azurous

Disappointed that the grades had been left unguarded Azurous returns to his studies.
    Later Azurous attends the celebration/commiseration. Entering he announces to the room at large “If were all going to get eaten by monsters in a few weeks we should enjoy ourselves now.” As he heads for the drinks he hands a silver peace to Scrya who delivers it to the collection box, before Lirt can object he says “For me Liam and Trahone.” It was fairly well known that Azurous had coinage to spare and that he rarely gave any of it up without a very good reason, one good reason was Lirt’s brews.

Azurous drinks more than most, although not as much as Minya, but as always seems little affected but it. In addition to never being ill Azurous has an immense tolerance to alcohol and never gets hangovers.
    When Minya starts singing he adds his own contribution. As he cannot sing to save his life he employs Ghost sound and Prestidigitation to the same effect.
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?