New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pass on what you have learned IC

Atan

Atan landed his latest fish as the call came from the crow's nest. Fishing wasn't as satisfying as hunting, but it had its advantages. Looking in his bucket, he decided he'd caught enough for the day, and set about cleaning and preserving the fish for transport. Magic vastly simplified and shortened the process, and Atan had to agree his professors were right about that, at least. He still couldn't grasp the mindset of magic as "answer to everything", but supposed he never would and refused to worry about it. As his uncle had always said, magic was a tool, nothing more. What you did with the tool was the important thing.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Slowly, the misty islands of Marsember grow larger and larger, until you can distinguish first houses, then individual people on the streets going about their daily business. A small skiff appears, heading for you. you can distinguish three people on it. The barge closes, and one of the sailors throws a rope ladder down. After a few moments, a young man, wearing plain clothes, climbs on deck and heads for the astern castle. He exchanges a few words with the captain, and then directs him to a docking berth.

The captain comes over to where you stand. "We'll be loading and unloading now. You can stay aboard or visit the city. Just be sure to be back before nightfall, or tomorrow at dawn if you're staying at a place in the city. We will set sail again at sunrise. Don't be late."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

The black clad youth looks around. "Anyone interested in hitting town as a group?"
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

4. - Top - End - #214

Atan

Atan laughed lightly and replied, "Not on my budget, Liam. I've barely got two coins to rub together."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

The lanky youth chuckles, "And I've got exactly none..., but you don't have to spend money if you go ashore, there is the seeing of new things, getting to know new places."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

6. - Top - End - #216
    Barbarian in the Playground

Epsun

The gnome hops lightly on the railing he is perched on. I'm in - it'll be nice to see a different town for a change.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

7. - Top - End - #217

Lirt

Lirt raises a wobbly hand from the rail. Anything to get off this cursed boat. He still does not look very well.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya

"Just so I understand, if we come back after nightfall we can't get onto the ship until dawn?," Minya asked, as Cerpe fluttered excitedly above her. Once she knew the curfew, she wandered over to the others.

"Brother, we can look around at least; it's good to see new places and meet interesting people. I'm up for the excursion. Let me get a few things from the cabin, first. Back in a minute!" Minya dashed away. She carefully checked the safekeeping of her spellbook, and slipped most of her gold into a spare sock in her backpack. After dithering for a moment, she left her bow behind but took the sword. A mere three minutes later, she ran back up the ladder to the others.

9. - Top - End - #219

Atan

Rolling his eyes, Atan said, "All right, all right. Let me get my sword and bow, though, eh? And we're definitely taking the permit or writ or whatever it is with us."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam smiles, nodding. "Sounds good. Let's go."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The captain corrects Minya: "No, the guards would let you come aboard at any time; it's just that you really should not be out in the streets after sunset. The streets of Marsember can be quite dangerous when it's dark. If you want to stay the night in the city, remember that you have to register at the King's Tower."

Marsember is built on the boggy Dragonmere coast and a few island close to it. All the islands are connected by brigdes, but you see many people using small skiffs to navigate the canals between the islands. You leave the harbor area through one of the gates that separates it from the rest if the city and trot along the cobblestone roads, crossing a few bridges and taking in the atmosphere of the city, completely different from Suzail's.
    Getting a few directions along the way, you end up at Morningmist Hall, one of the largest temples of Lathander in Cormyr, a masterwork of architecture and well known throughout the kingdom for its walls that glow in the dark and its slim towers that reach out for the first of the sun's rays every morning.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Halfling in the Playground

Azurous

“Well the town cant be as tedious as staying on the boat.” Azurous left the boat with the others, taking only his dagger and Scrya.
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?

13. - Top - End - #223

Atan

Atan was non-plussed by the city. Having grown up in Waterdeep, he was no stranger to urban environments, despite the vastly different topography. Morningmist Hall was of mild interest, but Atan decided he'd rather see the ancient trees of Cormanthor he'd read about in geography class.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Emmis shakes his head. "If you don't mind, captain, I think I'll stay here on the ship. I saw plenty of merchant towns with my father, and your ship seems at least as interesting as the town."

Emmis then pats a little bag hanging from his side, and only a few clinks are heard. "Besides, I don't have the coin to stay the night anywhere decent."
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam walks with the others, looking around, getting a feel for the city. "This is fascinating, I've never been away from Suzail."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya

Minya stopped and stared at Morningmist Hall. She rummaged in her map case for a sheet of clean parchment and began to make notes. "Hmm. Hmm. Fascinating." She walked closer to get a better look at the stone themselves, and then looked for someone who could answer questions.

If she found someone, she walked up to him, shook his hand, and introduced herself. "Greetings. I am Minya Istaya, a student at the University of Magic in Suzail. I have a particular interest in architecture, and I wonder what you can tell me about this marvelous building." She picked her guide's brain for as long as she was able, and then gave a small contribution to the temple in thanks (3 sp). Once she had been given an opportunity to actually observe the glowing walls herself, Minya would cheerfully accept the group consensus, whether it be to go back to the ship or continue to tour the city.
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-06-15 at 10:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Barbarian in the Playground

Epsun

Epsun eagerly joins the group, glad for a chance to stretch his legs. As they stop before the temple, the gnome murmurs in appreciation. The Morninglord... Then, c-ocking his head to the side, he stares studiously off into space and continues with a wry grin ...God of spring, dawn, birth, renewal, creativity, athletics and...well, a few more, I'm sure. Gods, I'm glad those exams are over. Anyway, his followers are often said to be great artists, so hopefully we'll see our fair share of that if we wander around long enough.

If others seem interested, he go explore the temple, but he's mostly following the group.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-06-16 at 08:19 AM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam stares at the hall, "It is beautiful."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You continue to wander the streets of Marsember for a while, returning to the ship before the onset of darkness. The sailor on watch lets you aboard and, somewhat tired, you have dinner and chat for a bit before crawling into your bunks for the night. The merchants join you when you are almost asleep, trying to be quiet after they enter, but you half-overhear what seems to be the end of an agitated discussion. It seems to be about trade, and you hear the name "Sembia" fall a few times.

20. - Top - End - #230

Atan

Atan hadn't quite drifted off into trance when the merchants returned, but he just couldn't interest himself in a trade discussion about Cormyr's mercantile neighbor to the east. His memory of the trees of the High Forest were far more attractive, and he let his mind wander there for a time.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You wake up the next morning to the sound of commands and confirmations being yelled back and forth. The walls of the room you are in are rhythmically moving up and down and swinging from side to side while they are at it. When you go to have a peek outside, the captain greets you with a smile. "We should be able to make some good speed today." The ship has just left port, sailing you closer to your destination.

22. - Top - End - #232

Atan

Atan stretched out the kinks from lying in a hammock for several hours, then strolled up on deck to resume fishing. His store of rations was growing by the day, despite his hearty appetite.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

The student wizard comes on deck and looks around. Watching from the bow for a while to look ahead to their destination. He waits til he sees some sailors who aren't busy and walks over to them. "Good morrow. Looks to be fair sailing weather. I don't know if you know our destination, but I was wondering if any of you might have heard of it... a place called the Hullack Forest?"
    Last edited by Wiz; 2008-06-19 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Epimetheus...
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya

Minya strolled up on deck, a small roll of canvas tucked under one arm. She looked around the deck for a small area out of the way of the sailors, and eventually found a space. Unrolling the canvas to reveal a game board, she set up a set of draughts using pieces of wood and pebbles. "Anyone for a game?," she asked the group at large.

25. - Top - End - #235

Atan

Taking a strain on his fishing line, Atan said, "Not now, sister dear, I'm a little busy..."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The sun rises and sets again, coloring the sky blood red. The captain orders the crew to strike the sails for the night.

Then, a voice from above yells "Ship on starboard!"
    "Which flag?", the captain yells back up.
    "No flag!", the answer comes.
    "Damn", the captain mutters, then draws himself up to command posture. "All hands on deck." He takes to the wheel again, trying to get the best speed out of his ship, but the two-masted pursuer closes fast. The sailor who is at the wheel when the captain is off-duty takes charge of the crew, ordering them to get their weapons and man the ballista. After sending the merchants below deck, he approaches you. "It's not safe up here for you. Better get your weapons and stay below deck. Follow the captain's orders, he's king on this ship."

SPLOSH - a heavy stone hits the sea, and a fountain appears about two dozen feet in front of your ship.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Flinching instinctively from the slash, Emmis nods. "Below deck sounds good, although if they get close enough, you've got nearly a dozen wizards aboard. I don't think any of us have training enough for the really powerful spells, but close range we could probably be of major help."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Flinching instinctively from the slash, Emmis nods. "Below deck sounds good, although if they get close enough, you've got nearly a dozen wizards aboard. I don't think any of us have training enough for the really powerful spells, but close range we could probably be of major help."

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya, elf evoker

"Yes, sir, I'll go below if you order me to, but first: Atan and I have our bows and swords with us. We might be more helpful on deck." She waited a moment, to see if the crewman would change his mind, and then raced below for her weapons and wand. Either way, she would be ready.

30. - Top - End - #240

Lirt

Lirt jumps at the sound of the splash and looks around. He sees the other ship and scampers into a hidey spot on deck where he is out of the way but still able to be involved. Once there he conjures an unseen servant.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)