New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pass on what you have learned IC

Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods to the instructions and heads below.
    Show me a hero, and I'll write you a tragedy.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Nuale

Nuale stares at the closing ship grimly. It didn't look as though they would be able to outrun it; pity it wasn't fully dark yet, or they might have been able to lose them. "I can help the people repelling boarders, with a little time," she offers, rising. "How long will it be until they board?"
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Atan

Looking at the first mate, Atan nodded his agreement with his sister. "I can hit them at this range, sir. Which one should I kill first?" Atan asked with more than a hint of bravado.

Spoiler
    Show
    And he'll lead off with a True Strike to make good on that boast.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Halfling in the Playground

Azurous

Azurous is startled by the yell because Scrya was in the crows nest and should have seen the other ship as well, but Scrya doesn’t know the ship to be a threat so would give no warning, from Scrya sorrow-apologies.

After listening to the sailor’s instructions Azurous remarks "I’d rather fight than let them take the ship, but I won’t be much use till they get close and I will need my weapons.” He heads below to retrieve his weapons, reviewing his spells and calling Scrya to him as he goes. Seeing Liam he asks “Do you have any useful spells prepared? Where is Trahone, this is his area of expertise.”
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Barbarian in the Playground

Epsun

Gritting his teeth, the gnome gives a nod to Minya's respectful request before darting below decks. There, he dons as swiftly as he is able his breastplate. Picking up weapons when finished, he comes back up the stairs. I can throw a blow where it may be helpful, captain, he gestures with his crossbow, and I've mastered a few minor healing spells that may come handy if this gets ugly.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam nods to Azurous. "I have a Mage Armor, and I can cast a Color Spray."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

7. - Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I sure as hell won't tell you that you can't help defend the ship. There won't be any boarding if we can help it, but then we may not be able to." He stares at Atan with more than a hint of disbelief. "If you can pick off the man at the helm, than would be great. We just need to keep them off until the navy gets here." The crew at the ballista fires an arrow high into the air, where it explodes in a bright red flash before slowly tumbling downwards, trailing red smoke.

When Epsun gets back, the officer looks sceptically at his armor. "Are you sure you can swim in this?" The ship leans slightly to one side as the captain tries to curve away from the pursuing ship that is still closing fast. The sailors take cover behind the walls of the castles, crossbows loaded.

Spoiler
    Show
    Daryk: Choose a distance at which Atan would like to fire, then roll attack and damage.
    Last edited by Irrealist; 2008-06-21 at 12:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248

Lirt

Lirt leans a little with the shifting deck, and gets to the side of the ship. He moves back toward Atan. He peers through a gap in the castle, not even knowing its called a castle. He looks back at the "boat driver" and says Where is their steering bit? I may be able to foul them for ten minutes or so, especially if Atan hits their driver.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam looks incredulous, "You didn't think I came down here for my health did you?" He grabs his quarterstaff and spellpouch and chants a spell over himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    cast Mage Armor
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

10. - Top - End - #250

Atan

Nodding once at the Mate's assent, Atan dashed below and gathered his weapons. Returning on deck, he squinted to focus on the opposing helmsman to verify his target while Nuale completed her infusion over his bow. Sure of his man and his weapon, Atan drew back and muttered the words of a spell just before releasing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+6)[18]
    To Hit: (1d20+6)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[5]
    Unfortunately, the Magic Weapon bonus doesn't stack with the Masterwork quality of Atan's bow, but it still gives a bonus to damage, so it's worthwhile.

Edit: With the theoretically confirmed critical, that would be 24 points of damage total. Not bad for 3d8+9...
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-06-21 at 12:48 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Halfling in the Playground

Azurous

“Never for a moment.” Azurous replies with a grin. Taking his crossbow in hand and still looking for Trahone, Azurous returns to the deck, he and Scrya look to the other ship trying to see what they are up against. “If they want to take the ship why are they throwing rocks at us?” he says to no one in particular.

Azurous takes a moment to consider there position, 100ft till any of us but Atan are even halfway effective, he smiles remembering watching the talented elf practice, and some of us will need to be even closer. An idea strikes and he calls to the others “A volley of magic missiles when they get within 100ft might make them think twice, especially if we make them think all the shots came from the same person.”
    1: Dragon wings are cool
    2: Colour coded dragons is illogical and hypocritical
    3: An angels wings are whatever shape the angel pleases
    4: Ever heard of a "fallen" demon?

12. - Top - End - #252

Lirt

Lirt squints at the other ship. When they get to a hundred feet I can stick a Web on them, well I hope I can stick a Web on them. I never really mastered that one yet, but I can get it off most of the time. Lirt looks a little nervous.
    Excellent Avatar of Uri by Retun of Lanky (Aka Lanky Bugger)

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam looks surprised, "You've mastered a second order spell already? Wow... no wonder you did better than I did in spellcraft. Too bad it wasn't Ray of Stupidity... for the Lizards, I mean, not the pirates."
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

"If you get the webs up, I'll supply a spider or two. I've got the illusions to do it." Emmis chuckles, looking at the boat.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Atan can barely make out the shape of the man at the helm, but fires his arrow anyway. He lets fly, and the man at the helm seems to drop to the floor.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya Istaya

Minya dashed back on deck, bow in hand and sword belted over her explorer's outfit. Cerpe fluttered overhead, squawking importantly. <"Excellent shot, brother!">, Minya cheered in elvish, and then continued in Draconic, <"Go up to your nest now, Cerpe, and keep an eye on things. Tell me if you see anything I should know about.">

"That's a brilliant idea, Lirt! If your web doesn't work I can try to burn their rope thingies with my Scorching Ray." Minya stood next to Atan and readied her bow. Suddenly getting a thought, she reached into her pouch and took out a sheet of parchment, ink, and pen. Quickly slicing off a strip of the parchment, she wrote, "That's what you get for attacking a ship full of wizards!" Smiling, she showed it to Atan, and added, "Do you want to send them a message?"

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Emmis

Emmis shakes his head vehemently at Minya's suggestion. "You send them that message, their liable to attempt to just use fire from a distance. Let them think Atan is just a good archer and continue to close."

18. - Top - End - #258

Atan

Relaxing his draw, Atan said, "Good point, Emmis. Perhaps we'll stick with fire arrows, then."
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-06-21 at 10:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259

Atan

Atan waited while pitch and rags were prepared for his next shot. This gave time for the enemy ship to close the range a bit. Once everything was set, he drew and let fly, trying to set their main sail alight.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Liam goes back out the hatch and goes up on deck. He is careful to stay out of the way of the crew, but watches the oncoming ship, trying to determine where it may try to grapple this ship.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya Istaya

Minya watched Atan's attempts to fire the attacker's sails and thought. Obviously, one scrap of an oily rag wasn't sufficient. On the other hand, too much weight would make it impossible to reach. She dug in Atan's pack and grabbed his candles, and then picked up a scrap of twine or string.

Working quickly, Minya waxed the string to use as a fuse, laid it against an arrow, took some of the rags, and began to carefully wrap the shaft of what she hoped would be a flying flaming torch. Next, she rubbed more wax along outside of her "torch-arrow"; not concerned with perfection, she just wanted to have enough wax to keep the flame burning. Finally, she soaked the wax-encrusted rag wrapped arrow with some of her lamp oil and handed it to Atan while she lit the other candle. Getting set beside him, she said, "Let me know when to light it." At Atan's nod, she set the arrow aflame, waited a second to confirm it was lit, and said, "It's ready!"

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trahone

The sudden splash awakes Trahone from his slumber. I can not believe I have slept so long. He rises and rubs his eyes to look out the porthole. He gets there in time to see an arrow fly toward another ship. Now fully awake, Trahone grabs his crossbow and rushes on deck. "What is going on Captain? Is there anyway that I can help? I am pretty decent with some range spells."
    Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

Thank you Caracol for my avatar.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Barbarian in the Playground

Epsun

With a nod to the captain, Epsun grins darkly. Don't think we'll need to be swimming with this many wizards on board, captain. He readies his crossbow for when the other boat gets closer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, it's a short post, but the cleric spell list is desgined for melee combat, not snipin'. Jes' wait 'till Epsun's the only guy with those Conjuration (healing) spells. :P
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

24. - Top - End - #264

Atan

Atan frowned as his first shot plunged through the enemy's sail without so much as a scorch mark. He carefully lined up his second shot, and was similarly disappointed. Sighing, he lined up the third shot only to have an unexpected heave of the deck make him misfire and drop the arrow on their own ship. Fortunately, one of the sailors quickly doused the flames. Regaining his composure, he lined up the last two shots flawlessly, but like the first two, they failed to catch.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The other ship closes fast, covering about a fifth of the space between the ships in one minute. The sailors at the ballista let fly, lodging an arrow in the bow of the other ship. Their pleasantries are returned with another stone flying over your heads to land in the water on the other side of the ship. The captain alters course to throw off the pursuer. "Get some of these rags to the ballista", the captain yells to his officer, "hit them with what we've got before their catapult ruins my ship."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Troll in the Playground

Liam Ravenquill

Not having any spells with long range, Liam feels a bit frustrated as he waits, keeping out of the crew's way. Well, I'll just have to keep this kind of situation in mind for the future... carry some long-range effects.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Before the captain finishes the quarter-turn of his ship, the pirate ship changes course, too, turning until it faces away from you, and then picks up speed again.

28. - Top - End - #268

Atan

Swaggering up to the Captain, bow still in hand, Atan asked, "Shall I continue harassing fire, sir?" He couldn't repress a huge smile as he spoke, or waited for the answer.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"That was quite a shot there, as far as I could see", the captain replies. "If you can hit them, go ahead. They're pirates for all I care. If not, we'll leave it up to the navy. They should be here soon."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Minya

"Do you want to try the "candle arrow", brother?" asked Minya, holding her contraption out.
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-06-26 at 10:03 AM. Reason: vB coding error