New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Key of Destiny

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Key of Destiny

Key of Destiny

Prologue: A Sylvan Key

A cool wind blew through Pashin in this cloudless evening, announcing the coming winter. Streetlights and inside candles were being lit, adding their light to the one Solinari, the White Moon, offered. It was early on, and so Lunitari did not offer her red shading yet, but the strange group knew it soon would. They had entered through the city gates just in time to find a place in which spend the evening.

It had taken some time to cross those gates, for the six companions were not an usual sight - that, and the local guards were reluctant to let a kender in willingly. Enough managed to somehow slip into the city without their help already, they at first refused to let Tobin in at all. It had taken Talia's word - and her symbol - for them to let him in. A good thing they were too busy with the kender to notice Caminus' pointed ears, and his definitely Silvanesti traits. Their kind was far from welcome here, and Ivistka's Kagonesti origins were already drawing attention. William - who had been in Pashin before - urgently suggested finding an inn or tavern: at this hour, Dark Knights' patrols were starting even out of the district they controlled entirely, and with Vazler, it would be no good to encounter one.

And so the unusual group marched down the streets, cheeks reddened by the cold wind, discussing the options at hand: the Wounded Crow, or the Five Dragons' Inn. The first was one of the most infamous tavern in Pashin - some said that more deals and more mercenaries had been hired in it than in all the taverns and inns of Palanthas combined. It was located near one of the district controlled by the Dark Knights. The Five Dragons' dominated the central square's northeastern corner, an inn offering both cozy rooms and a bustling tavern. It was, by far, the favourite of merchants and travelers.

2. - Top - End - #2

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Key of Destiny

Caminus

Using his cudgel as a walking stick, Caminus pauses a moment to pull his red hood forward to keep his features hidden. He glances sideways at his companions - wondering if they share the same trepidation as he does. This is no time to travel alone, he thinks, but this group? That kagonesti keeps looking at me like she wishes to skin me alive. From the way she keeps drawing attention to herself, she may get at least part of her wish.

The red-cloaked man is obviously of wizard training, for his trappings demand it. Although packing light, the worn shape of a spellbook dominates Caminus' backpack. Other than that, it appears he is an adventurer (or grave robber) of sorts. Rope, torches, bedroll and all other sorts of equipment are also hanging from his pack. Either he is very strong or very astute, for it seems the load does not encumber him at all. One item does draw your attention, however, for most wizards (or apprentices for that matter) do not carry a bow - Caminus does. He has a longbow hung from a quiver that is slung across his back.

When a shrill cry is heard above, Caminus relaxes a bit, for he knows that hawk's call. It is Buteo, and she has been like a big sister to him this entire trip. Cam knows she is watching over him, and that is calming.

Caminus breaks the silence and says, "I think it may be wise for us to go to the Wounded Crow. Although we will stick out no matter where we go in this town, at least we will be at the outskirts and can do our best to blend in with the rest." He checks his purse (a habit that formed since the joining of the kender) and counts a couple over ten steel in it. "If the rooms are cheap, I could pay for our evening's rest. It is the least I could do, for the company has made my trip here..." Caminus seems to search for the correct word to say and choses, "interesting." Cam cannot help but look at Ivistka and Tobin when he finishes.
    Last edited by Darius; 2008-05-26 at 08:58 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia Dire

The lanky young woman kept having to check her stride in order to keep pace with the group, her ponytail of red hair bobbing down occasionally to ensure that Tobin wasn't investigating something important. Mishakal had the patience of all of infinity ahead and behind, and embraced all, but even she might be just a bit tired after surviving this magical, musical mystery tour.

Talia paused briefly to adjust her leather armour. How some of these women managed to wear it tight, and not get horrible chafing, she'd never understand. Well, she supposed that they seemed to wear some strange armour that only covered a quarter of the bits that people wanted to hit with swords. What good was that?

Reaching around behind, Talia made sure that Tobin hadn't liberated either her pack, her shortbow or her greatsword. She hadn't thought that the slim kender could get the out of its sheath without her noticing, until one night she noticed him balancing on it, set on two kegs, and singing a heartbreaking ballad to the crowd. How could you get angry with that?

Well, maybe just a little more tired. Talia glances over at Vazler, taking some comfort in his solid presence.

Oh! The paranoid wizard-guy is talking! Talia listens.

Sure. I don't mind going to the Crow.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

William Jackson

"The Crow? Did Chemosh come by and bestowed some craziness in you folk? Those people go wild, in the bad sense of the word, when you go and give a ballad there. Either there is this person that wants to do it's business without cheerful music, somebody who can't appreciate it or some other vague reason!" Rung the voice of William Jackson through the air at the others. He sounded rather baffled by the suggestion.

William untied his long, blonde hair and re-tied it, to make sure that his hair was held together properly again. His face was young, but somewhat unassuming and weathered. His figure looks strong and he holds his body with a firm pace when walking. He looks healthy and fit, though at times impatient.

He refitted the magic gem he was carrying as necklace currently. That the gem was magic was obvious, because it seemed to be on fire, yet it did not hurt William at all. He held it like that to provide light in the evening. it hung over his vest, which turn was held over the chain shirt he was carrying. The vest was brown and darker than the breeches he wore. The shirt he wore under the chain shirt was of a dark yellow colour. He also wore a backpack, which did not seem too full, and a sword hung by his one side, while a whip hung on the other side.

Unlike previous suggestions, which may have sounded dim-witted before, the suggestion about the Five Dragon's Inn seemed to make sense. Perhaps it was spoken out of experience.. regardless, William added the following. "Besides, the Five Dragons' Inn probably offers better beds. Wonder how the prices compare, though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler Nariss

Vazler looked amidst the group with a moderate smile, before turning back to the focus at hand - the town. He walked with an uncompromising stance, a sheer aura of determination and will radiating from him as he proudly bore his Solamnic-symbol engraved armaments - his father's armor, shield, and longsword, all marked with the symbol of the Crown, Sword and Rose. His muscular form was slender, sporting strong limbs but without an accompanying constitution or bulkiness. A mass of long, silver hair extended down to his shoulders, offset by his regal blue eyes. If he knew the Knights of Neraka had taken up residence in Pashin, he clearly had no intention of disguising his affiliation to the solamnic knighthood.

"I agree with William, the Five Dragon's Inn sounds like a much more reputable establishment." The knight answered, glancing to the group momentarily to deliver his reply.

He continued to march on towards the centre of town, nodding in recognition and smiling at any who would recognise him and who he was.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master Yoda - 99% (Wow. Talk about similarities. )

Brilliant Avatar - and alternative version of said avatar - of my Drow, Orthae D'Nilok, by The Stoney one.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin stared down as his miss-matched shoes as he shivered in the cold. His shoes were not prepared to deal with winter. I think we should go to the Crow, if it is anything like the stories say something intreasting is bound to happen. He remarks cheerfully, looking at Will's flaming gem in envy.

Seeing the knight head off towards the Five Dragon Inn, Tobin sighed in disapointment.
    Oh well, I can always vist the Crow tomorrow! He thought to himself as he chased after the longer limbed human

Tobin had almost caught up to the knight before noticing a drunk in an ally. Ducking into it, Tobin emerges a few minutes later with a new pair of boots. Trying to catch up Tobin loses the boots a couple times, but finally manages to rejoin the knight.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2008-05-27 at 05:27 PM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ivestka One-Named, Kagonesti Elf Barbarian

The dark skinned and muscular elf strolled behind the group. Bright green eyes surveyed the streets, looking for threats. Her black hair was bound back out of her face, and the leather armor under her cloak had a faint green tinge. Her face was clear of tattoos, although someone who looked closely might see where ink had been removed. Ivestka was cursed with a pretty face, one that the Silvanesti wizard Millae Minoyl thought should not have been “distorted by crude superstition.” No matter, for the tattoos had been made, and she remembered them. They were in her soul.

The hilt of her greatsword peeked over her shoulder, but she walked with her long bow in hand. A second lost in preparation could cost decades of hardship, and she had promised the spirits of her ancestors to always be ready. Sometimes she lost sight of that promise and indulged too much in wine and music, but her ancestors understood, of that she was sure.

She was not sure, however, just how her friends Tobin and William had collected the other travelers. So far they seemed to get along, and for that she was glad. The paladin was nice, and might even become a friend as well. Talia was kind to Tobin, as many were not, and did not seem to need to keep him from being himself. Iv liked that in a person.

The elf watched Sir Vazler march through the city, plainly unafraid. Sir Vazler was what he was, and Ivestka could respect pride. She had enough of her own. For her part, Iv usually stayed in the back. She knew she could reach trouble quickly no matter where she walked. The rear of the party might not be the place of honor, but honor was for those who could afford luxuries. Iv had learned to value friendship, to value the gods, and to value her own will. Her place was guarding her friends’ back, and she cared very little what others might say.

She stopped short when Caminus stopped and turned slightly to watch the back trail while the group chatted. A bubble of laughter threatened to escape after the Silvanesti’s last comment. “So, my ancestors, you continue to bless me. A wizard who knows fear is a great gift indeed.” She waited to speak until she was sure all signs of amusement were hidden.

“I will buy my own food,” she said in a voice trained to carry sound without emotion. “I agree with William Jackson. I wish to sleep in pleasant and comfortable surroundings.” She waited, scanning the crowd for danger, while the group decided on a destination. Her hand never left her bow, although she kept it close to her side. She did not look for trouble, and preferred that it find someone else to visit, but if trouble came it was best to be waiting.

Character Pic:
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-05-28 at 09:40 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

Talia grinned as she looked back at the solemn, bold Ivestka. Seldom had she met another young woman so clear and assured of herself. And then Talia remembered, Just cause she looks all young and pretty doesn't mean anything. She's probably already older than gran. Well, old or young, it had been nice to have her along, good in the woods, good with the drink-stupid in the inns. Talia turned her glance to the Silvanesti.

Sounds like you're outvoted. C'mon. Sometimes it's fun to stand out. The view's better.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #9

Their destination settled, the group hurried after Sir Vazler. Althoug William could act as a guide through the somewhat familiar streets, finding the Five Dragon's Inn was not a problem. It was, after all, located in the main square, to which the main arteries conducted. And as the city-wise would quickly note, the cobblestone streets were lined with gutters for refuse, which always laid back to the primary road throughout town.

Pashin's architechture was one of the best example of the town's racial diversity: some buildings had for them the solidity of Solamnic's work, while others had the ecclectic, somewhat sprawling designs often associated with gnomes. Luckily, the Five Dragon's Inn was of the former sort. Once a military barracks, the L-shaped building had been converted into an inn by a soldier, before being passed down from one generation to another. As one of the few buildings in the entire town with more than one floor, the three-storied inn easily dominated the main square.

Light spilled out from under the weathered building's two sets of double doors - one for the stable, one for the inn itself. The heads of five dragons had been carved on both, and although they had been each painted in a different colour - red, blue, black, green and white - the flaking paint showed trace of an entirely different set of colour - gold, copper, silver, bronze and brass - which had been masked quite some time ago. Leather flaps blocked out light from the narrow window, but they could not stop entirely the sounds of joyful discussion that came from inside.

When the group crossed the door, warmth greeted them. Warmth and a cheerful young woman, who waved at the six travelers from behind the front desk. "My good sirs and ladies, may I help you with something?"

The door had led into the common room, in which three long tables with wooden bench had been placed. There was more than a dozen customers around, eating and drinking their fill. While the main desk was to the left of the cozy room, a flight of wooden stairs led, to the left, to what seemed like an upper bar - where customers could dine with a little more privacy. To Tobin and William's disappointment, there was no stage of any sorts in the room.

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateCaptain

Caminus

"Very well," Caminus says with a sigh. Even if the vote were simply the Solamnic sire or the barbarian's I venture we would still need to go where they wished, the wizard muses to himself. At least I know where I stand. My time will come.

Caminus puts his purse back up his sleeve and follows after the group. He takes careful note of the way and any exits that may need be taken in a hasty retreat. He notes the change in the dragon visage with interest and screws his face up at the thought. Unconsciously he snorts out, "Typical," but offers no explanation to the remark.

Caminus turns to the knight and says, "Since you chose this place, perhaps you should procure us that private room, Sir Vazler?" A certain tone can be detected in Caminus' query. It is neither disdain nor snobbery, but it doesn't sit quite right to those that heard it, for certain inflections and stresses upon the word 'you' both times is evident. What really stands out is how 'Sir' is said by Caminus; it seems like there are more letters in his version than in how it is written. Caminus then waits for the others to take care of business. "Since I did offer to pay at my choice of establishment, I should expect that at least the difference should be compensated by those who chose this one." He taps his pack, "Travel expenses, you understand."
    He looks over at William and notes the lack of stage, "Definitely a good choice...(for us - then we don't have to listen to you sing OR play). Perhaps you'll get invited to a room with those better beds to sing a private lullaby?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ivestka

Unconsciously, automatically, Iv looked for the exits, as well as where potential threats might be. She relaxed slightly at the friendly welcome of the hostess, and sketched a slight salute with her off hand. Looking about the crowded room, Iv slung her bow and placed her hand lighly on her belt, next to the pommel of her short sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Caminus
    Caminus turns to the knight and says, "Since you chose this place, perhaps you should procure us that private room, Sir Vazler?"
    <snip> "Since I did offer to pay at my choice of establishment, I should expect that at least the difference should be compensated by those who chose this one."
    Iv was unable to avoid staring at Caminus. "What private room, wizard? There was no talk of a private room. There was talk of peaceful inns and comfortable beds, but no talk of a private room. Do not lay claims upon me for things I have not promised you, for I choose my own debts. You made an offer to hire bedrooms for all of us. Here you need only pay for your own lodging. Clearly you gain. But, you ask politely, so I will stand for one share of the difference between that which you offered to pay there and the cost of an ordinary room, here. Perhaps Lady Talia can decide what that difference would be?"

She then turned towards the bards and asked them, "Where do you want to eat? My table manners may not be up to certain persons standards, but I am not ashamed to eat in the commons. Lead, and I will follow."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

William Jackson

"Hush little baby, don't say a word,
    Papa's going to buy you a mockingbird
    And if that mockingbird don't sing,
    Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring.

You will have to do with that lullaby for now, my good friend.
    " Said William to Caminus after having sung a lullaby refrain. The melody was clear and appropriate for the song and rather enjoyable to listen to. However, it stood kind of out of place where it was song. Then, he directs his attention away from Caminus, twards Ivestka. "Well, I am of definite preference to the commons, but let us greet our hostess before that!" And with that being said, he turns towards the cheerful and young woman at the front desk.

"Greetings, my good lady. It is a pleasure to be welcomed by such a lovely and cheerful young lady. As for you being able to help us, indeed, you can! We would like a place to sleep for the night and a nice dinner to go with that. What are the accommodations available here, and the prices related to it, if I may humbly ask?"

13. - Top - End - #13

PirateCaptain

Caminus

"Perhaps I was not clear, Ivestka; so, I will explain myself as simply as I can. You see in most inns, one may stay in what is called the common room or a private room. The common room is a room where anyone may go to sleep and is sometimes simply the main room here or could be like that bar area above us. This room usually does not have beds to sleep in, but keeps one out of the elements and safe from the denizens of the wild." On the last part of the sentence, Caminus cannot help but gesture in a manner that is akin to signalling that Iv is a 'denizen of the wild'. Cam continues, "A private room is one with a door and one's own bed. One does not need to share said room with anyone if one chooses, but the cost could be split by any number of individuals. A common room, on the otherhand, cannot be split at all. The cost must be covered by each person choosing to rest there. In the way I proposed, we could share rooms to save on money by way of travel expenses. Now, from the sounds of your protest, it seems you are against that idea of me doing so. If you would rather room with Sir Vazler instead of say Talia, that is understandable - I have no preference." Caminus' expression adds a certain smirk which displays a sense of intimate knowledge of some secret with the last comment. "I appreciate the offer of covering the difference, and my original offer to pay for rooms would have been a gift with no expectation of recompense. It is the least I could do for my friends. I have found that in many cultures that friends do things for each other without expecting to be paid in return for services rendered. They often overlook one's personal shortcomings, too. So eat and drink heartily if you wish to dine with me, for you would be welcome at my table."
    Last edited by Darius; 2008-05-28 at 05:14 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin looked around the room while Camius rambled on. Not seeing anything intreasting Tobin sighedI knew we should have gone to the Crow he thought to himself. Going over to the innkeeper Tobin decided to see if he could at least pick up a new story tonight. Hello, I was hoping you could tell me why those dragons have been repainted? The old colors looked like they would be much better looking then what you have now.

While he was talking Tobin causally draws his flute and begins to twirl it around in his fingers, as he looked around agian hopeing that he had missed something in his first glance
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

Talia stood in the middle of the group, watching as they fragmented, either to pursue their own curiosity or, inevitably, to bicker. How was it that, she, the youngest of the group, so often felt like the mother.

Seeing that William was charming up the barmaid, and Tobin tormenting the barkeep, she could relax a bit and assume - well, hope - that the business of the evening was being dealt with.

Talia gave a confused nod and smile to Ivestka, not really understanding what was being asked of her. She shifted to Ivestka's side for a moment.

I left Brightmane hitched outside. Best I see to him. Try not to strangle Caminus, yes?

Talia slipped away to arrange stabling for her horse.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ivestka One-Named, Kagonesti barbarian

"Perhaps I was not clear, Ivestka; so, I will explain myself as simply as I can. You see in most inns, one may stay in what is called the common room or a private room. The common room is a room where anyone may go to sleep and is sometimes simply the main room here or could be like that bar area above us. This room usually does not have beds to sleep in, but keeps one out of the elements and safe from the denizens of the wild."
    Iv quirked an eyebrow. "Ah. So your offer to 'provide for our rest' was in fact 'the least you could do.' I understand now. It must be hard for you, alone in the world. Hoard your steel; I and my friends have enough for our needs. I need not your charity, even were it worth the giving."

"I appreciate the offer of covering the difference, and my original offer to pay for rooms would have been a gift with no expectation of recompense. It is the least I could do for my friends. I have found that in many cultures that friends do things for each other without expecting to be paid in return for services rendered. They often overlook one's personal shortcomings, too. So eat and drink heartily if you wish to dine with me, for you would be welcome at my table."
    Iv waited until Caminus had finished speaking, unmoved by his innuendos. "In my culture there are many things that friends do and do not do, one to another. Perhaps someday we may find a reason to discuss them."

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Talia
    I left Brightmane hitched outside. Best I see to him. Try not to strangle Caminus, yes?
    "As you have asked, so I will do," Ivestka said dryly. She turned away, and noticed Tobin wandering off towards the other end of the room. She drifted over towards him just in case Tobin might suddenly need a bodyguard, or a distraction.

17. - Top - End - #17

The young barmaid looks at them with wide-eyes, her attention shifting between Ivestka and Caminus until William talks to her. She snaps back to the business at hand, smiles, before answering "Actually, good sir, you may get everything free." She'd said the last word slightly more loudly, hoping perhaps that the Kagonesti and the red-robed man would stop arguing. "I just need to verify something..." She used the counter to push herself up, before calling out: "MA'!"

The answer was nearly immediate "Comin', dear, comin'." As a middle-aged Khur woman - who shared obviously resemblances with the barmaid - came down the stairs, the daughter turned to answer the kender. "Depends on what you wanna say. Some stories are not well seen 'round these times. If you're a fan o' stories, though, there's somethin' special coming up at the town square on the morrow. Th' Herald, he's called, and they say he tells stories like you never heard 'em."

She hushed up when her mother - whom William knew to be the inn's owner - finally arrived. She stopped not in front of the bard, as one would expect, but instead extended a hand to Sir Vazler. When she spoke, it was in a rich but low voice: "Well, well. Sounds like you knights received the message." She brushed off a strand of iron grey hair, adding "This isn't exactly what I'd expected but.. come, all of you. Before you draw too much attention to yourselves." Her sparkling black eyes drifted to the clearly exposed Solamnic symbol on Sir Vazler's armour, and she resisted the urge to sigh.

She led the group up the stairs, and quite a few gaze followed them as they left the common room. "I only have three rooms left for tonight, and one's been reserved for tomorrow. You can take it, as long as you've moved by the time the sun's reached its peak." She walked past the upper bar and into a corridor which - after one turn, a flight of stairs to the right and another turn - led to the three rooms. There, she waited for an answer, especially from Sir Vazler.

Directly under them, Talia entered the inn's stables with Brightmane. Barely lit, they currently housed three horses, and had room for quite a few more. A young boy jumped to his feet when the paladin entered, quickly moving up to her. "Greetin' lady! 'Ere for your beautiful horse? I'll be brushin' and feedin' 'im for just a lil' steel piece!"
    Last edited by Annalia; 2008-05-28 at 11:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

"Cease your bickering, The order of solamnic knights will be covering our stay at the Five headed dragon tonight." Sir Vazler confirmed, looking over his shoulder in a glance at the two.

Sir Vazler bowed to the lady, taking hand in his and raising it above his head, as was the proper etiquette. "A pleasure to meet you. We have heeded your call - I am Sir Vazler Nariss, Squire of Solamnia."

Vazler listened intently as she explained the room situation. "I believe it is only fitting the ladies receive a room, and the third go to one of the three of you. I will be content sleeping in the corridor or somesuch." Sir Vazler explained, looking at the floor momentarily before coming to his conclusion.

"Worry not, dear lady - The Knights of Solamnia are happy to do as you need for the good of the people, oath and measure. On my honor, I will not endanger this place with my presence." Vazler decreed, adopting a solemn tone.
    Last edited by Parrallathan; 2008-05-28 at 05:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Brilliant Avatar - and alternative version of said avatar - of my Drow, Orthae D'Nilok, by The Stoney one.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

Gulping a bit at the price, but not wanting to annoy the man who'd be caring for Brightmane, Talia smiled bravely and handed over the reins.

Thank you, sir. Brightmane's a steady and calm lad, shouldn't give you any trouble.

She strokes the grey's neck.

Now, don't you make a liar out of me, hear? No groin-kicking like last time.

Smiling sweetly to the stableman, she returns to the inn in time to hear the end of Sir Vazler's proclamation.

That's really nice of you, Sir Vazler, but maybe Iv and I can double up? I surely don't mind, and if we all share, then everybody gets a better night's sleep, right?

She nods, wipes her hand hastily on her cloak and extends her hand to the older woman who was greeting them.

Hi. Sorry. I'm Talia. That's, um, Ivestka, Caminus, and William. Tobin -

Talia offers up a silent prayer of thanks to Mishakal that Tobin was in sight, and not actually climbing into any container not originally designed to hold a kender.

- is just over there. And I think you met Sir Vazler. I'm sure we can be clean and clear by midday. Sounds like you've got a fair bustling trade here, then.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin

Tobin almost fell over in shock at the girl's news. The Herald is coming here. He says to himself quietly before he shouts it out in joy. Yes! I can't belive my luck, this is such an amazing oppurtunity, we have to go see him tommorow, this time I'll get to talk to him..... Tobin chatters on his words starting to run together in his joy, making it hard to understand what he was saying. Too excited to stay still so he starts walking around the room aimlessly.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

The young stable boy take the reins and silver piece with a toothy grin, before wishing Talia a good time at the Five Dragons. When the young woman joins back with the rest of the group, the innkeeper shakes her hand with a warm smile. "I am Emaline Yaseth, pleased to meet you."

"We do indeed have quite a busy night - people have caught wind of the Herald's coming, and are loaning rooms close to the town square to make sure not to miss out on him."
    She unlocks the three rooms - two on the right, one on the left - before turning back to the group. "Please make yourselves comfortable. I will send one of my daughters up with a warm meal, a cool ale and new matresses. There is unfortunately only one bed in each room."

"And Sir Knight, for my establishment's sake, you may want to sleep in something more private. Take the left room and sleep on the floor if you must insist, but leave my corridor free."

Down in the common room, the barmaid watches Tobin with mild amusement. She seemed pleased by his reaction, but an excited kender was often a very dangerous thing. "You might indeed talk to him, sir." She started, taking a few strides to catch up to him as he began wandering off. She then lowered her voice, and added "He will be housed here tomorrow. Don't cause trouble, and, who knows, you could meet him personally!"

Putting a firm hand on Tobin's shoulder, she directed him towards the stairs - where the others had gone. "Perhaps you should go back to your companions and.. tell them the good news."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin

Yes, good idea! Tobin exclaimed before dashing up the stairs. Moving too quickly Tobin almost crashes into Sir Vazler. Ignoring the fact that he interupted the knight's conversation Tobin begins to babble Did you hear? The Herald is coming here! And not only that, he is also staying at this inn! I've got to tell the others! before dashing off agian searching for eveyone else to tell them the news.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2008-05-28 at 09:34 PM.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateCaptain

Caminus

Caminus laughs at Iv's retort. "Think what you will," he scoffs, "that is most definitely free. However, it is not I that is alone here. Look around you - your actions and words keep everyone so distant do they not? You are so closed minded that you would not know when assistance is needed, and your pride would keep you from taking it. To some, the least is all they have. Had you been paying attention instead of looking down upon me from your pompus perch, you would have noted that unlike your purse, mine is nearly empty. Yet it was I who offered up my funds for the good of the group. Interesting behavior of one who 'hoards steel' I would conjecture."

After the rooms are said to be gratis, Caminus smiles, "There, now - good job, Sir Squire. As I figured would happen, of course. The dragon mark was a dead giveaway." He pays the Solamnic's words no mind other than saying, "You have not seen any bickering from me, Sir Squire. However, if you continue ordering me around like that, you will definitely hear something similar to it. I suggest you treat me and the others with respect. When you do so, you will be treated in kind by me. I recall reading something along those lines in your Oath and Measure - is there not such a passage?"

Caminus will then go to the room designated to be that reserved for the males of the party. He will open the window so that Buteo may enter the room. Then he will take a bed and begin studying his spellbook.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

Talia glances into her room.

Miz Yaseth, thank you so much. After a few days on the road, this is heaven.

Talia steps into the room, slipping off her pack, bow and sword before collapsing gratefully onto the bed. She leaves the door open, waiting for Iv to join her.

25. - Top - End - #25

Shortly after Tobin joins back with the rest of the group, Emaline departs to get the group their promised meal. The rooms are small: barely ten-by-ten, they contain little more than a small, rather comfortable-looking bed. There were small Khurish decorations on the walls, removing the feeling of emptiness so often encountered in inns.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ivestka

Iv walked into the room and looked around. She bowed slightly to the innkeeper. "Emaline Yaseth, this is a good room. I thank you. I would ask of you some water for washing." Taking the key from the woman, she handed it to Talia, and then looked around the room, gauging its security. She paid particular attention to any windows there might be.

"I will sleep here, near the door." With that, Iv placed her bedroll against the wall next to the doorway and set down her pack next to it. She removed her cloaks, sat down, and began brushing off the travel dust.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

Sir Vazler followed Caminus into the leftmost room. "I did not 'order' you, Caminus. It was merely a polite suggestion not to show dissension amidst our ranks to the staff of the inn because of a now irrelevant conversation about funds and pride. And I would also appreciate it if you did not try to wield a passage of the oath and measure in an attempt to scold me for a reaction to your actions. I have always treated you with respect, and even if you continue to treat me as you do now, I will continue in such." Sir Vazler replied, rising above Caminus' barbed remarks at him.

"You may have the bed, if William and Tobin have no objections." Sir Vazler offered, setting down his pack in the corner of the room.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

William Jackson

William was relatively quiet as the others spoke. He, in fact, was just thinking of something due to a request made earlier. Well, it was not a request as such, but William thought it had been. When Emaline departs, William does say as she leaves: "Thank you for your kindness!"

Then, he suddenly hears Tobin say something to him. "The Herald? Who is that?" He asks, mildly surprised and amused at the kender's enthusiastic behaviour. He does add "Say, Caminus spoke earlier that he wanted a private request for a lullaby, want to help me with the song to give to him so that he falls asleep soundly? He's currently in the left room." And with that, William points at the room he speaks of.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-05-29 at 12:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

By the time two of Emaline's daughters come to your rooms with warm, steaming meals and a small keg of fresh ale, Lunitari's waxing moon has risen above the rooftops, adding its ambient red light to the rooms. Used to tracking his moon's cycles, Caminus quickly realises that within two days, Lunitari would be full.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

Relaxing at one end of the bed with her meal and sipping her ale, Talia enjoys the relative tranquility of Ivenka's company.

I used to think it was just the boys in my village. But they all seem to be...boys from a village, if you know what I mean. Are the Kagonesti men like this?

She grins a bit sheepishly.

Still, nothing's going to get in the way of learning all sorts of beautiful new things about Pashin. I never been here before, nor seen a Herald before. Don't really know what to expect.