New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Key of Destiny

1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Key of Destiny

William

William has taken up a more relaxed position now, very glad that his wounds have mended and that they seem safe.. for the moment. The reinforcements would be coming, but the people here did not seem too afraid of the consequences, or would rather stick to their homes. When William heard that it was indeed a wiser idea to go by the backyard, he nodded. Looking at the others, he lets out a sigh of relief to see Talia back. In a late fashion, because his attention was with listening to the Herald for a while, he approaches her and speaks up. "Good to have you with us, Talia."

Then, he turned back his focus on the Herald again and stroked his chin. Noting that his beard was growing again, he found himself slightly distracted again. Turning his thoughts back on the right subject, he found little to add. However, then a question spring to his mind and he added quickly after Sir Vazler the following question. "Why this group, Herald? I mean.. a key would be better in the hands of, well, another group?" Figuring that there must be some group better suited to whatever the key held in store, William found it odd that their group had to do something with it. "And, even if we had it, what would we need to do with it?" He adds as well, though he finds Sir Vazler question to be very useful to know the answer of too.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Herald smiled at William's question, and turned to the young bard. "Those we hail as heroes often come from the strangest corners of the world. You heard the Song of Huma earlier; he was a simple farmer boy." Shaking his head slightly, he added "All I know is that the Sylvan Key is meant for you, and none others. What to do with it, or where to seek your answers was not imparted to me."

A horn blew closer, causing Emaline and her family to look at each other nervously. "You should be on your way." She muttered. "Into the kitchen." For some reason, the Herald only smiled more at that.

"Ah, yes. The kitchen." He shook his head, before urging the group onward. "Pegrin has indeed established a small camp near Pashin. Seek him out, but be wary - he will not relinquish the key easily."

"One last thing..."
    He seemed to faze out a bit, and said in an almost hollow voice. "The key is not a key."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

The squire looked as though he wanted to ask more - specifically when the Herald mentioned that the key wasn't a key - but the Nerakan horn disrupted any line of enquiry he was about to make. Remaining behind until the others had left before him, he gestured through to the kitchen. "Go now, I will follow behind."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master Yoda - 99% (Wow. Talk about similarities. )

Brilliant Avatar - and alternative version of said avatar - of my Drow, Orthae D'Nilok, by The Stoney one.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin looks at the Herald and is about to speak but is interrupted by the horns. Quickly packing up his stuff he follows the others he begins asking the questions he had before the horns started blowing. The Key is not a key. Does that mean it's like an optical illusion and looks like a key but isn't? Or mabey it's one of those gemstones that open the doors to old tombs? Will this guy be willing to trade for the Key? Cause I found a gemstone today he might want..
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ivestka

"I thank you again, Lady Emaline. I would not give trouble; we will go." While the others discussed matters of keys which were not keys and other conundrums, Iv checked the rooms and collected any forgotten gear. Enjoying her second wind, she ran lightly downstairs with her pack already on her back. Iv saluted Emaline and slipped into the kitchen.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

William

William nods towards the Herald. Their tale was just beginning. When the horn was blown and the direction towards the kitchen was called, William bowed towards the Herald and Emaline and her family. "Thank you for your aid. May the good gods smile upon you." And with that said, William heads towards the kitchen with the others. The words of the Herald, about hte key not being a key, swirl through William's head as he moved through the kitchen, but he eventually abandoned the thought. The problem would be tackled when it was time to be tackled.

7. - Top - End - #127

The Herald offered Tobin an apologetic smile as he watched the kender pack. "I am afraid you will have to find the answers yourself, Young Master. The key is not a key, but that is all I know."

8. - Top - End - #128

PirateCaptain

Caminus

Caminus listens intently so that his great memory can soak all of the information in for future use. His memory has been a gift...and a curse, for he oftens recollects the mistreatment he suffered under as a youth. However, this was an opportunity for him to show all of those whom berated and badgered him in the past that he was better than they were - and that they thought he was.

With a few words in elven, he commands Buteo to fly out the window and watch for the approach of the oncoming knights. If Vazler wishes to be last, so be it. Let him have his hubris, for it doesn't take Caminus long to exit muttering, "Now I have to remain with you, for the watch will assume me guilty by association. Plus, this mystery intrigues me. No doubt it would not be solved without my assistance."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

Thank you, Emaline. Gods be with you.

Nodding also to the magnificent herald whom she'd barely had time to listen to, Talia is off with the others into the kitchen. Already, though, she is planning how to loop back into the stables the back way, to retrieve Brightmane.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-06-15 at 02:16 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

Bowing deeply again to Emaline, Sir Vazler heads towards the kitchen, following the others. He paused before he did so, turning back to the inkeeper briefly. "Thank you for your assistance in this matter. The knights of Solamnia acknowledge a debt to you - and it will be repaid."

With that, the squire disappeared through the kitchen doors after the rest of the group.
    Spoiler
    Show

Brilliant Avatar - and alternative version of said avatar - of my Drow, Orthae D'Nilok, by The Stoney one.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ivestka

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Caminus
    ...it doesn't take Caminus long to exit muttering, "Now I have to remain with you, for the watch will assume me guilty by association. Plus, this mystery intrigues me. No doubt it would not be solved without my assistance."
    Ivstka cleared her throat uncomfortably. Speaking as if the words were being plucked from her against her will, she said, "Caminus, you are ... valued. I ... thank ... you. You saved Tobin at risk to your companion." She glared at the Silvanesti and added, "Do not think I have forgotten your insults, but I would not have you forced to do that which you do not wish to do. I --" Ivestka gulped but continued, "--I would welcome your company, but if you wish to leave I will attempt to distract the guards."

12. - Top - End - #132

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Ivestka View Post
    [BIvstka cleared her throat uncomfortably. Speaking as if the words were being plucked from her against her will, she said, "Caminus, you are ... valued. I ... thank ... you. You saved Tobin at risk to your companion." She glared at the Silvanesti and added, "Do not think I have forgotten your insults, but I would not have you forced to do that which you do not wish to do. I --" Ivestka gulped but continued, "--I would welcome your company, but if you wish to leave I will attempt to distract the guards."
    Caminus

"Think nothing of it," Caminus replies without registering how difficult saying such things obviously was for Ivestka. "Remember what you like," the elf continues, "for our minds are our greatest weapons. Although you wielded that spear and Sir Vazler his sword, the end result could have been different had the dark knights formulated a plan instead of simply attack as they did." He sighs and finishes, "It would not be wise for me to try an leave anyway - the odds are not in my favor, and most likely both of us would be caught." With that, he continues on his path of action.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

13. - Top - End - #133

The group quickly moved through the kitchen, hurrying out of the back door and into Pashin's streets just as they heard forceful knocking on the front one. "This is the Dark Knights! Open now or we will force the door!" There was no time to wait and hear more, however, as already booted feet were coming around the building.

Dashing into the side streets in a mildly random fashion, heading more or less northwest - an area where the Dark Knight's hold was not as strong. All safe for Tobin - who was too distracted feeling into his pouches - noticed that a mysterious figure seemed to be stalking them. It had appeared not long after leaving the Five Dragons', always remain a good distance away, fleeting in and out of view, seemingly observing the group.

The Dark Knights' horns that had marked your run through the back alleys eventually died down, and the small break offered looked like a good moment to figure out the next step. The alley in which you stood was empty, the dark figure nowhere to be seen, but you knew there were a couple of figures dressed in full clothes similar to those worn by lepers in a street close. Unfortunately, there were quite a few of those and it seemed almost impossible to find an alley that was completely free of their presence.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

The knight frowned as he looked around the alleyways. "We have to get out of the town and find Pegrin; whilst drawing as little attention as possible. Any suggestions?" Vazler asked the group, glancing between the party.
    Last edited by Parrallathan; 2008-06-16 at 04:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

William

"A.. disguise?" Was the first thing William could think up of as he heard Sir Vazler's request for a suggestion. He then pondered, wondering why he got that idea. When he found out, he added: "Leper disguise?" He shrugged, not finding it a very good idea either, which was apparent from his face as well. But it was the first thing he could think up of after seeing those around in the alleyways. At least it was a suggestion, for which Sir Vazler had called.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

Talia nods at William's suggestion, although she wasn't sure how inobtrusive they'd be.

We could jump in the river and float out.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is of course assuming that this town, like most, is built around fresh water of some kind.

Edit: Thanks, Parallathan!
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-06-18 at 05:24 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC Note to Toli:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pashin is based on the south-east most part of the Plains of Dust. No river, unfortunately.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

PirateCaptain

Caminus

Smiling inwardly at the thought of Sir Vazler in tattered robes, Caminus chimes in, "You have proven my point so well, William. A disguise like that which you suggest will allow us to hide in plain sight. We will be able to find that which we seek and move about unmolested in this fashion. I concur. Now, to procure some 'clean' robes and cloths..." He trails off looking at Tobin knowing that the kender would be best suited for this task.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin

Well nobody ever seems to suspect me of being anything more then any other kender, so I wouldn't really need a disguise. Tobin adds cheerfully. What are you guys going to hide as?
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin

Well nobody ever seems to suspect me of being anything more then any other kender, so I wouldn't really need a disguise. Tobin adds cheerfully. What are you guys going to hide as?
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

"I'm sorry, I know this will make your efforts more difficult in your escape, but I cannot adopt a disguise. To do so would be to act against the Oath and Measure, and that is something I refuse to do. I am of the Solamnic Order, and as such I cannot conceal my identity - from friend or foe." The squire explained sympathetically to the group.

"If you would like to make your way out in such a manner, by all means, do so - I will find an alternative and meet up with you outside the walls." Vazler offered.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

Getting in the spirit of Vazler's comment, Talia adds:

A lot of my stuff got left back at the inn, and I can't just abandon Brightmane. Maybe I can just find a place to hide here for a while, till they stop looking for me.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

"Brightmane is a free-spirited horse - a loyal companion as many. I doubt he will bow to any Dark Knight, that's if they even take him from the inn realising he was ours. We should procure the key, then return to get him. If we return to the inn now, we only endanger it's occupants by proving our involvement with them. Once we have the key and our destiny is revealed to us, we will return and rescue him." Sir Vazler suggested, pacing the alleyway now.

"I also think that exiting as clear as I am may do better for the people suspected of our involvement - clearly I 'fled' with no allies to turn to. Let us press on to the guard post at the wall and move on from there."

OOC Note to the Party:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry if I seem to be quite insistent on this, guys, but we're starting to slow down - lets pick up the pace and get back on track! To the gates!
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ivestka

"I collected gear, Lady Talia Dire. Here is your equipment. I trust you brought your weapons. Brightmane is with friends, is he not, Sir Vazler? He will be safe for a few days, at least." Ivestka distributed the gear she had collected in her quick race through the rooms.

"Why is it that we do not move quickly to another gate far from the Dark Knight's quarter and leave, now? You need not wear a disguise, Sir Vazler, to seem different to the enemy. They expect six of us. Perhaps if you and Tobin left together, the sight of a Solamnic squire suffering the unwanted attentions of a kender would distract the gate from recognizing you. If Caminus and his companion consent, Buteo the winged one could observe until you are both safely outside the walls."

"Then, we the others could leave either in pairs or together. Small changes might be sufficient. William Jackson, might you have knowledge of what could be done?"

As she spoke, Iv was rearranging her gear, covering up the hilt of her great sword with her bedroll, bringing her short swords to the front, and moving her bow to the ready. She handed her longspear to Tobin to carry, with the words, "Pretend it is a lance you have 'borrowed' from a knight."

ooc to the party:
    Spoiler
    Show
    My lack of posting is neither a reflection of my lack of interest in the game nor a lack of desire to move the adventure ahead, but rather caused by the simple reality of technical difficulties. Between a) having a life, b) using dial-up connectivity, and c) the site's repeated failure to load for the past few days it has been impossible. Oh, and those "technical difficulties" eating my posts twice in a row such that in order to avoid fist/monitor commingling I had to walk away from the keyboard.
    Let's hope third time's the charm...
    Edit: woo hoo! Yessss!!!
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-06-18 at 11:06 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

William Jackson

William listens to what Sir Vazler has to say and lets out a small sigh as he tells he can not be disguising himself. When he hears about the horse, he nods to the other comments. "Brightmane will be fine, surely." When Ivestka then offers an excellent idea and plan, William nods again. "I think your plan is great, Ivestka. As for changes what can be done.. well, as said, a simple disguise with leper robes might just do the trick. Though we do not have any of those with us. Let me think about that in a moment. But if we can not find any such as that.. we could op the small changes approach. Unfortunately, I only know so much and I do not have the right stuff to disguise people, so I suggest that if we do that, we all try to help with suggestions and the like." Then, he raises his hand to his chin, trying to see if he knows the best way to get some leper robes.

ooc note to party & rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    William is basically suggesting that if leper robes are not really an option, one rolls disguise and that the others do aid another on said person.

Knowledge(local) to see if William knows the easiest (preferably non-criminal) way to acquire leper robes. (1d20+6)[19]
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-06-19 at 04:13 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

Clearly unhappy at the prospect of leaving Brightmane, Talia has remained silent through the following exchange. However, she takes her gear and weapons gratefully from Iv.

That's a good idea, William. Iv and Caminus weren't seen together in the fight, right? Maybe if they swapped cloaks, and travelled together - nobody's looking for a pair of elves. And William and I might pass for a soldier and his girl, if I bundle up my sword and bow.

She says all this in a rush, un-selfconsciously. Then glances around and blushes a bit.

Spoiler
    Show
    Plan sounds good to me - If we're not spotted as a group, small changes to each of us might be enough.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin

Tobin takes the spear and almost falls under its weight. Leaning it agianst a wall so he doesn't have to hold it,he says I think the guards are going to be arresting any solaminics they see for the next little while. Also Sir Vazler could you at least remove your armor and sword?

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok that was ridicoulsly hard to post, but really I don't think the kender pestering the squire will work
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

Sir Vazler looked to the Kender, smiled sadly and shook his head. "I can't, I'm sorry. But I believe that the ruse of me arresting Tobin and escourting him out of town might be a good idea, provided we leave via the least nerakan-involved exit."

The squire glanced to Talia, and did not let her discomfort go unnoticed. Placing a hand on her shoulder, he smiled comfortingly. "You have my word that we will come back and retrieve Brightmane, Talia. Such a loyal companion is to be as valued as the rest of us."

"Now then - let us come to a decisive plan of action. Unless anyone has any objections, I will escourt Tobin out, claiming to have arrested him for "theft"." Vazler made the quotation-mark gesture as he said theft, so as to not imply Tobin would ever do such a thing. "We will go last, so that if they do try to apprehend me, their senses will not be alert to any efforts we might have made afterward. Your disguise ideas sound solid - I also doubt the guards would wish to interact with you much - if at all - if you had truly contracted lepresy." The squire concluded.

"So - shall we go to the gate, or does anyone have any alternative suggestions?"
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

William Jackson

"Well, no objections here, Sir Vazler. But let us see what we can do about disguises for ourselves. The leper robes are basically all-covering, normal clothes, but dirty and tattered. We could make our own clothes more dirty, possibly trying to make it tattered. And then use some additional cloth to cover it all up, with some additional minor changes here and there. Like.. me taking off my chain shirt for one." And with that said, William goes to pull off his chain shirt. After that, he still wears his yellow shirt beneath it. He then puts up his brown jacket again, straightened it out after which he puts the chain shirt in his backpack.

If the others agree that they should dirty their clothes and try to cover up, with some additional minor changes, William will try to disguise everyone with the improvised tools they have and ask for suggestions and comments each time. If possible, he will try to see if it is feasible to make them look like lepers, or at least like other, poorer people. Possible, they could shift some clothing around if there is a lack off, so as to improve the simple suggestion they are other people due to different clothes.

Spoiler
    Show
    William's disguise is +2. Without disguise kit, the disguise check incurs a -2 penalty due to improvisation with our current clothes. Minor adjustments confers a +5 bonus. Thus, a +5 is the end results with William's bonus. I suggest we use the highest disguise bonus in the party and the others can do aid another.
    If William has the highest check in the end, here are the disguise rolls for everybody. If he does not have the highest check, they are aid another checks.

Caminus Disguise: (1d20+5)[18] 18
    Ivestka Disguise: (1d20+5)[25] 25
    Talia Disguise: (1d20+5)[21] 21
    William Disguise: (1d20+5)[9] 9
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2008-06-20 at 05:00 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin
    Tobin gives the spear back to Investka, then looks to the knight. Well if your ready, lets get going to the gate. Tobin says as he adjusts his oversized boots.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show