New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Key of Destiny

1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Key of Destiny

Caminus

Making no attempt to help set up camp nor to be included in the watch arrangements, Caminus simply instructs Buteo to follow the 'scout' and stay to watch the camp. If those in the camp pack up and leave, Buteo is to emote as such and follow.

The wizard then eats a meal and listens to the conversations without adding anything of note. When the time comes, he will sit upon his bedroll with legs crossed and trance.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

2. - Top - End - #212

"Oh, no problem at all." Tobin said happily. "I greeted the guard, and they were kind enough to confirm the camp was down the road."

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

"... Greeted the guard, Tobin? Tell me you didn't actually -talk- to Pegrin's boys?" Sir Vazler asked worriedly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Master Yoda - 99% (Wow. Talk about similarities. )

Brilliant Avatar - and alternative version of said avatar - of my Drow, Orthae D'Nilok, by The Stoney one.

4. - Top - End - #214

PirateCaptain

Caminus

Caminus sighs heavily again, and puts down his spellbook and responds, "Why shouldn't he, Sir Vazler? I am sure that Pagrin's gang could be recruiting. Did you consider that perhaps it was they who were following us and subsequently rescued you? I would gather that your rigid adhering to laws, codes, and measures has blinded you from this possibility. Perhaps you have not noticed that we are within the confines of a town under martial law. The enforcers of this law are Nerakan Knights. From your past encounters with those who are policing the city, it appears that you do not agree with their method of justice. Therefore, you and subsequently all of us, are now considered to be criminals and are to be brought to justice...but that is another matter which we will need to discuss later."

Caminus continues, "Then, there is Pagrin. Similarly he is a bandit in the eyes of those under Nerakan Law. Really, he is considered no different than we as the enforcers wish to bring him to what they would call justice. So, would it not be wise for us to at least attempt verbal discourse instead of demand compliance and then use force (which seems to be your typical tactics)? Is it not said that the enemy of my enemy is my friend? I know that your knighthood followed that motto in the past. Oh how the gods love irony."
    Last edited by Darius; 2008-07-07 at 08:26 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

The squire sighed quietly to himself as Darius once again verbally assaulted him and his means and methods. "I see your point, Darius. Thank you for your contribution. But there is a difference between us and Pegrin - and that is while we are being made to seem as fugitives of the law, that is only due to the Nerakan's attitude towards Solamnic knights - whereas Pegrin is a true bandit. An ex-Nerakan - an evil squire. He is nothing like us, and would not Harbour any aid towards us - which is why he would not risk his own neck to come into town to save us. That was not him, of which I'm certain. I do agree that there is no need for it to come to bloodshed straight away - but if he will not peacefully surrender the key to us, we will be forced to take it."
    Spoiler
    Show

Brilliant Avatar - and alternative version of said avatar - of my Drow, Orthae D'Nilok, by The Stoney one.

6. - Top - End - #216

Piping up in the middle of the argument between Sir Vazler and Darius, Tobin answered the earlier question. "Sure I talked to them. One said there wasn't anything down the path. Then the other told him not to tell me that. And then the first said Pegrin was there, but was busy. It was all very confusing, but I decided not to bother him so I thanked them and came back."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

The squire smiled, shaking his head slightly. "Well, after hearing that, I think we can confirm that Pegrin is firmly on a 'do not disturb' policy."
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

Talia nods, wanting to seem clearer about the situation than she really is.

Still. Even nasty folk sometimes want simple things. If we find out what's important to Pegrin, maybe we can barter for the key. After all, most people don't want to give things away for nothing. Especially bandits.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

Frowning slightly, the squire turned to Talia. "That much is true. At the same time, I am not particularly inclined to aid a source of banditry for an already troubled town. It's bad enough they have the dark knights in their walls - to have trouble from outside as well as within is putting them through more than they can handle. I'm not without sympathy for approaching them without bloodshed, but - I will not sleep uneasily if they bring it to blows." Vazler concluded grimly.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #220

PirateCaptain

Caminus

Chuckling to himself is the elf's initial response. "Oh how I enjoy when someone thinks their way is always the right and true path. Sir Vazler, you are making prejudicial suppositions that are clouded by your own view, so I do not think you truly see my point. If you can, for a moment, step back from all of your dogma and 'conditioning' you received in your squiring to the path of knighthood and things from an outsider's perspective."

The mage raises a finger to indicate one, "First, our fugitive status is not due to Nerakan-Solamnic animosity. It comes from what occurred with the Herald. How soon we forget that the crowd became angry with the telling of the tale and attacked him. A non-Solamnic among us spoke up against the assault," Caminus looks at the paladin, "and this caused the mob to turn on us. You were up in the room - nowhere near any of us, yet we all were attacked."

Another finger joins the first, "Second, we certainly became killers in the eyes of this society when a number of us used deadly force against our attackers and the Nerakan Order. From what I witnessed, a number of the enforcers and populus suffered mortal wounds, so killers we have become due to guilt of association. Mind you, I should refresh the notion that we were not acting as a group nor were we all associated with one another at this time."

"Third," another finger rises, "unless you have witnessed or have extensively interviewed several credible sources as to how Pegrin truly is and where his moral compass currently points, I do not think one can claim that this man is evil and wishes us harm. In fact, one could speculate that Pegrin could be a patriot to freeing the city. Even if he initially was misguided, could not a change of heart occur and now Pegrin is aligned with forces similar to yours? If one can fall from grace, cannot one be saved?"

Caminus puts his hand down and looks at it. He sighs again, and genuine concern is evident on the wizard's face when he looks up into Sir Vazler's face. "What concerns me, Sir Vazler, is that you do not see how similar the Nerakan ideals are to your own. Giving orders and then using force to make one comply is the standard operating procedure of both orders. What I do not think you realize is that your actions impact all of us. Even if you do not expect us to face your enemies, do you truly think any one of us would let you stand alone? Although I cannot speak for the rest of us, I would not."

"So, even if we do not share your beliefs, we are forced to face the consequences each time you act - which of late seems to have come to blows. I am not asking you to change your own guide, but you need to consider what will happen to all of us when you do act. We need a Sturm Brightblade among us - not a Derrik Crownguard."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

William

"Okay, who is making all that ruckus over there? It is hard enough to sleep without somebody bantering nearby." Says William as he leans on his shoulder, looking up at the others, looking sleepy. "Some people are trying to sleep here, you know. Got to have a good nights rest and all." When William notices that it was Caminus who was last talking he adds: "That you don't have to sleep doesn't mean that you can go and disturb other's rest!" Sounding a bit grouchy, William then turns on his other side, trying to get some rest. "Now let me sleep, please."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

As Caminus finished his explanation, Sir Vazler began to reply until the mage commented upon his actions being like Derrik Crownguard - to which the squire's reply died on his lips. "I... I suppose you're right, Caminus." Sir Vazler commented, not quite up to the lecture that the mage had directed at him.

"Perhaps it is best you converse with Pegrin tomorrow. I will take my watch now." The knight-in-training concluded, walking away from the mage to the edge of the camp and sitting - looking out to the night that was swiftly falling on the horizon.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #223

Silence fell on the encampment as Sir Vazler left the campfire to take his watch. The rest of the group headed to bed, following William's example and taking what rest they could. The night was uneventful, and though Buteo came back by morning, the hawk showed no excitation of any sorts -- Pegrin had stayed put.

Eating only a meager breakfast to avoid warning the nearby bandit camp of their presence, the party then packed their things and readied themselves to leave.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, this is when you discuss plans if you intend to. From what I understand, you currently intend to walk up to the camp and ask to see Pegrin. No posting will make me move in that direction, although I'd rather have confirmation of sorts.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

"So - are we all ready to address Pegrin?" The squire enquired over their morning rations.

Note to the party:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just a quick bump to alert you guys that the game is resuming play since the forum came back online!
    Last edited by Parrallathan; 2008-07-19 at 03:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin gets up as he finishes packing up his stuff. Well, I'm ready! He declares cheerfully.

OOC Plans
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think I have an idea, a couple of us go to Pedgrin and ask to buy the key while the others wait a little while behind but in easy range to join if a fight happens.

I think we heard somewhere that Pedgin was selling the key right?
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2008-07-19 at 06:29 PM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

Sir Vazler smiled at Tobin's enthusiasm and looked amidst the rest of the group.

OOC Note to the Party:
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, it's not for sale - it was an idea that was proposed by one of us.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

William Jackson

William seems to be in a much better state now than the grumpy demeanour when he was disturbed by all the talking in his sleep. With his things packed up again, he slings his backpack on his back. Then, William kicks the dirt before him a bit as he looks up towards Sir Vazler when he speaks up. Nodding, William does add: "Aye, ready here." And with that said, he moves his eyes towards the path they will have to walk further. Taking a few steps in that direction already, William turns about and looks at the other. When everybody is ready and they are off, William walks along with the group.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Talia

The big holy warrior rose early for her prayers, but winced as she rose from her seated position to finish packing her bedroll.

Indeed, we should be underway soon. Sir Vazler, before we go, though, I would ask if you could have a look at this sword wound. I apologize, but it continues to vex me.

Spoiler
    Show
    She's currently at 6/13 hp. Figured we might want to try to do better than that, if you're willing.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

Sir Vazler glanced over to Talia, nodding distantly to her request before moving over to her. "No need to apologise, Talia - I will do what I can."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Light Wounds - (1d8+1)[4]

and I'll throw in three Cure Minor Wounds to put Talia to maximum.

Cure Minor Wounds - 1
    Cure Minor Wounds - 1
    Cure Minor Wounds - 1
    Last edited by Parrallathan; 2008-07-21 at 06:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ivestka One-Named, Kagonesti Barbarian

"I am also ready to visit the camp. Perhaps Tobin and I should go first?,"
    suggested the barbarian, carefully straightening her gear.

"Sir Vazler, the archers who assisted you at the gate were Silvanesti Rangers. I apologize for failing to share this knowledge sooner but I was distracted." Iv carefully strung her bow for the new day, and waited for consensus.

21. - Top - End - #231

Keeping weapons at the ready, the group trudged down the path Tobin had taken the previous day. Light clouds occasionally blocked the sky, but the day was a warm and overly sunny one. Clad in metal, Sir Vazler and Talia were both glad for protective shade of the trees.

Soon enough, the trail was blocked by a single man leaning against a tree, humming to himself in a low tone. He jumped back to his feet as soon as he noticed the group, his hand quickly taking out a grey whistle out of a pocket. "Who're you and what do you want?"

Tobin doesn't recognise the guard as any of the two present yesterday, and he figures they probably went through a guard rota.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Ivestka, Kagonesti Barbarian

Iv snarled at the guard, "I am Ivestka One Named, Warrior of the TrueForest, and I want to go down this path."

ooc: pay no attention to the folks in the shiny armor...
    Last edited by TwoCents; 2008-08-16 at 10:50 PM. Reason: insufficency of nouns

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin

Hello my name is Tobin and I've never been down that path before. What could be down that path is driving me crazy so I decided to go take a quick look around. My freinds here decided to come with me in case there is any danger. Tobin says cheerfully to the guard as he walks forward.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

Sir Vazler watched the group as they advanced uneasily, saying nothing. He didn't disguise his presence - he never would - but he exchanged looks with the guards.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235

"Woah, woah, woah! The only thing down this path is Pegrin's camp, and that's a no-go for you guys. Don't come any closer - especially the Solamnic." He took a step backward, eyeing both Tobin and Vazler warily, and put the whistle in his mouth.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

"I mean no harm to Pegrin. I merely hope to come to an agreement with him concerning his service in the Nerakan knights. They seek my end, as well as his - we have more in common than you think."
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237

"Pegrin ain't needing no help from you. We're doing just fine." The guard quickly retorted. "Just go back the way you came."
    Last edited by Annalia; 2008-08-16 at 08:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sir Vazler

Sir Vazler cast a glance to Caminus, then the others - echoes of the wizard's comparison of him and Sir Crownguard rang through his memory, and he hesitated saying or doing anything further.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Tobin

Well why don't you let us talk to Pegrin? Or at least give him a shout to let him know our offer? Also why can't we go into the camp? Is it because Pegrin is busy or something like that? Tobin says cheerfully.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2008-08-16 at 09:52 PM.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

William Jackson

Behind Ivestka and Tobin and besides Sir Vazler, stood William. The others had taken the conversation with the one blocking their path, and William was fine with this. He remained silent as they talked, knowing not to interfere. He let the others do the talking and nodded slightly after Sir Vazler spoke up. While other possibilities ran through William's head, he discarded them, feeling neither in the position to present them, nor thinking they were that good.

Standing at ease, William moved his glance from the guard and those conversing, to scan the area around them. He hoped there were no further guards, or was just watching out to make sure nobody else came. Though, truthfully, he could understand why the man was so gruff. They were with more and wanted to proceed, likely going against the orders of the man. Letting out a small sigh, William tried to think of something he could do. He found nothing else than taking a step back, to remove threat from this view, and show that they indeed were not out to harm the guard or otherwise. However, it was not a step back to get out of the way, at least not yet. William made sure to pay attention to the others, so that he may follow them if they moved on or went away.