New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Pius Fidelus: Convert the Niddog

Sedha 4.1

Sedha gets up from the creatures. "I believe that there are small creatures living inside the sick-ones, and they are eating the food inside of them. I think I can get rid of them, but I have three questions, and a warning. How long have each of the Niddogs been here? Have you cared for any other Niddogs who suffered like this, and if so, what happened to them? Also, there are some plants that hurt you, or make you feel sick after you eat them. Do you have any nearby? Sometimes, helping somebody get better can hurt them very much. However, in this case, we can most likely help them anyway."

Based off of the answers she receives, she divides them into several groups. She has all of them stop eating, as she explains that it makes the creatures inside them stronger, and tells them that even though it hurts, they need water to live, and tries to persuade each and every one of them to drink sips of water.

If some of them have ever gotten better on their own, then she encourages them to drink, but lets them wait it out.

Otherwise, she will try to poison the parasites, although exactly how she does this varies depending on the source plant.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha 4.1
    "Never seen this Sickness before. Not know of others with it anywhere. Creatures inside sick ones? Eating food? But how poison hel...Oh! I think I know. Come, Bad plants this way. Little berries no good, make younglings sick, some die." The Kind-one leads Sedha to a small valley nearby, and shows her a plant with numerous larger pink flowers that is coverd in small bright yellow berries. "This bad plant, make sick if eat berries. This help heal others?"
    When Sedha tries to feed them water the sick Niddog gladly accept, but shortly after even a small sip they start writhing in pain. Sedha can easily deduce that whatever is inside them reacts quite strangely to the water, though whether it is killing it, or merely making it stronger, it is almost impossible to tell.
    Faster than a speeding wombat, more agile than a drunken Giraffe, able to leap off tall buildings in a single bound, it's PANTSMAN!!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha

Sedha forced herself to watch the Niddogs, standing by their side and attempting to comfort them. She knew that she had to give them water to let them live, but it agonized her to see them in pain. However, she knew that they needed to drink, regardless of it, as they would die if they didn't. However, she reduced the amount of water she game them, giving them only a tiny sip at a time.

Sedha examines the berries. "We want to have enough to kill the creature, but still the smallest amount possible. We don't want to risk hurting the sick-ones any further. Kind-one, I hate to make you visualize this, but I know little of poison. Can you guess how many of these it would take to kill one of your children? I think that a fourth of that each day would be a good starting point."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha 4.1
    The Kind-one considers the logistics for awhile, obviously having never thought about amounts it might take to poison someone, however after awhile of contemplation she collect 5 berries for each of the sick ones, and brings them back. The Ill Niddog consume the berries without even noticing that they are poisionous, or the bitter taste they leave in the mouth, and they continue to take sips of water, always writhing in pain afterwards. But some-time in the following night, many of them seem to cease their constant wimpers and painfull fidgeting. And by morning, all but the largest of the Niddog seem to be sleeping peacefully. The Kind-one and many of her family look on in disbelief "They better! Yellow berries make them better! Thank you Sedha. Sedha saved them. How repay Sedha? Give Sedha anything she want!" Says most of the group, though slightly more disorganized, and not all as one.
    Faster than a speeding wombat, more agile than a drunken Giraffe, able to leap off tall buildings in a single bound, it's PANTSMAN!!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha 4.1

Sedha could almost have grinned. Almost. If only the others would let the all of the creatures in this world be as these Niddogs were right now.

"I need nothing from you, more than knowing that I have helped you. I will teach you what I know about this sort of sickness, and try to show you how to avoid it. All that I ask of you is that you help anybody who you can give aid, and that you teach what I have taught you to any who wish to listen."

Sedha spends a good deal of time with the Niddogs (up to 4.4), taking nothing from them, not even food, (unless they insist) nursing the sick Niddogs back to health, teaching the Niddog what she knows about how to prevent the parasites from returning, clearing up any issues of how to use the berries to get rid of the parasites, and simply observing Niddogs and their daily life.

At about turn 4.4, Sedha tells the Niddogs that she has much more to do, and must leave. "There is an art to remove bad things like what was in the sick-ones from food. I do not know the art myself. However, I believe that I know of one who can. When I return, I promise you that I will guide you to someone who can teach you."

With that, she accepts their farewells, and then disappears into the shadows.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Forneus

Turn 4.4

Forneus sits down and is silent for a bit, thinking about which way to start off. He advises the Niddog to settle down as he has much to tell. You know that immortals like me visit the Niddog, but how many have you seen? Forneus realizes that counting is probably not their strongest skill and rephrases. You have heard of immortals, but you have not seen all of them. I visited the group very close and showed them all of this before - if more Niddog were in one place, more Niddog would play with the immortals and more Niddog will be protected when the immortals are there.

Forneus makes sure the Niddog get this point before continuing.

If Niddog are in one place, there is less work and more play. Only a few need to watch the fires at night and the rest are free - even if you are many. When a few Niddog find much food, many Niddog can eat. And when you play, there will be more Niddog around to play with.

If the Niddog seem at least halfway convinced, Forneus continues: If more Niddog try to live together I won't have to travel so much and I will have more time to come visit. In fact, I will visit very soon to see how living together works. And if the Niddog try hard to live together and help each other, I will come back with a gift from the sky.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha 4.1-4.4
    As Sedha stays with the Kind-one and her healer, she sees some of the changes of the land that a single settlement alone might not display. Many Niddog pass through, some carried by their families, some coming on their own, most with simple broken bones, or large gashes across their hardened skin. With them they bring evidence of some of the things that they are learning elsewhere, as well as the stories and legends common now. She see's niddog who smell of smoke and sweets, and tell stories of the gods of fire. Those who sing and dance (once their broken bones heal) and tell stories of Arasylon and the Music-Bringer. Those who smell of dirt, and usually need their wounds cleaned out more than the others, but tell stories of the great Mandak, and his gift of walls. And of course those who spread tales of trails, safer and more prosperous than any other, if you can read the signs. All though, are gratefull for Sedha's help.

Forneus 4.4
    This second group stays somewhat pessimistic at the the thought of moving (much like the first group.) The female also raises the same issue of loos of freedom, but with promises of prosperity and gifts from on high, the female reluctantly agrees. "Give some time, younglings just born. Let them grow, then, we move where you ask."
    ((ooc: the younglings will likely leave home around the end of the turn, conveniently, so you can start them moving in together beginning of 5.))

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

End of turn 4/Beginning turn 5.
    Once again, the Niddog have undergone a rather large advancement in their culture. The influx of new ideas, and new activities has finally taken its toll on the youngest generation, which are now developing at what once would have been phenominal speeds. Furthermore with the advent of songs, stories, and certain newer teaching styles, the Younglings have started making their own words, advancing the Niddogs language farther than it has ever been before, and allowing the Niddog to talk about more complex ideas. Furthermore many of the skills the Niddog previously had developed have seen a rather impressive migration across the whole culture. Through the influence of traveling gods, smarter youth, and simply the time that has passed, the teachings that once were considered specialties have largely spread throughout much of the forest, though there are still those who are experts in the fields. Truly, this is the first real change in the Niddog, not just their ammassed skills, but the very way that they think.

Though many things have changed, some things remain the same, or mostly the same. The Music-Bringer and her family continue to travel the many roads, spreading the joy of music, and word of the great Arasylon. Burnt-one spends what are likely his last days in comfort, his aprentice slowly taking over the teaching of fire to the passing younglings, and spreading word of Krixal the fire-walker, who himself traveled the land spreading word of fire, and continuing his goals of trying to get the Niddog to finally start to cook in earnest. Ardannis has wandered the paths of the Niddog continuing to spread knowledge of traveling the wild, and those that followed him have truly started to learn the art of trail-blazing. Furthermore, Tek has started to help collect all the teachings of the Niddog, so that their skills may be all learned and taught in a single place. Forneus has begun to try to form the first non-familial social structure, planning on bringing two families to a single home, though few will hear of this grand experiment untill its results become obvious. Sedha has returned once more, this time spreading knowlege of things which live inside of others, and teaching how on occasion, that which once caused sickness, can be used to heal the sick. And last but not least, Mandak has wandered the land, spreading far the teachings of earthen walls, though now, he becomes most renown for the great hallow, a god-made cave underneath a hill, in which some of his greatest students now reside, teaching those who wander by, the skill of crafting barricades of earth.

Will the skills of the Niddog continue to develop, or will some new Immortal, and new teachings, overcome these, spreading entirely new ideas in their stead.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Halfling in the Playground

Krixal 4.5 - Wrap Up

Wonderful, yes, they... Oooh. I think that I am done teaching for the night.

Spoiler
    Show
    That sentence can be interpreted either way, either Krixal can be affected by the sweet vine, in which case he doesn't really feel like teaching (I say can, because if it's a choice, he will), or he noticed that his student's weren't really paying attention anymore.

The next morning, Krixal will gather the sweetest fruits he can find, as well as sweet herbs, and try cooking meat with them. (Stewing the meat in the fruit jucies) ((Cooking: 1))

Any successes he takes with him when he leaves, and adds them, along with the cooking of the smoke-vine, to the things he is teaching the Niddog on his journey.

If the Niddog who are following him wish, he will take them back to the Burnt-One before leaving, otherwise, he leaves them where they wish, with promises to return eventually.
    Awesome avatar by kpenguin!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Arasylon

Turn 5.1

Arasylon descended once again into Music-Bringers camp. Entering he awaited the typical celebration before speaking to Music-Bringer.

"Beautiful daughter. You have done so much good for music and myself I can barely describe it. I have another gift for you, and another charge. I entrust you with these responsibilities because, though it may make your journeys more difficult, I have faith in you. How many of the gods have faith in their own followers, instead of only demanding the other way around? Sometimes burdens are blessings in disguise. But I digress. I have collaborated with the other gods to amass the knowledge we have brought you and written songs that hold the knowledge. In this way it will be easier to remember the information, and more fun for the younglings to learn it."

Arasylon started to teach the learning songs to the Niddogg and her followers while answering any questions they gave him.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arasylon 5.1
    The celebration when Arasylon arrives is a bit more than usual, as there is a surprisingly large number of younglings around at the moment, but they listen to his speach, and are more than willing to learn the teaching songs. Music-Bringer learns with all the speed that Arasylon would expect, and the Drum makes it even easier to show the teachings of the song. As Arasylon teaches the Niddog he notices something somewhat strange about the younglings, though they are fast to learn, they are unusually small, small enough that they probably should not be wandering far from their parents, yet Music-Bringer and her entourage are at least a few hours travel from any other family.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Arasylon

After the songs were learned Arasylon distracted the younglings by having them go try to write their own teaching songs about their favorite subject. "I'll teach the best one to the gods themselves!" once they had scattered he turned to Music-Bringer. Why do so many younglings travel with you? And so tiny at that?"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arasylon 5.1
    Most of the younglings scatter towards the Cart, which Music-Bringer surprisingly wasn't riding in when Arasylon arrived, merely walking beside it, guiding its path. Music-Bringer says with a happy voice while looking back over her shoulder at the singing younglings "That easy anwser. They're mine, to small to travel alone, to young to pick new family, so they come with on journey, Learning from all families from beginning."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Arasylon

Arasylon balked for a moment. "They are... all, your children? That's... congratulations Music-Bringer. You are a bringer of life too! How splendid! Do they fare well on the travels? Staying safe? Nad how long, by your reckoning, has it been since I last came to see you?"

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arasylon 5.1
    The Music-Bringer laughs a little at Arasylon's reaction. "Yes, all are mine. You have been gone awhile, you are always gone awhile. Younglings were just eggs when last you came. Younglings very safe. Sleep nights at other families, spread music, learn what they teach, move on in day. Many males here protect younglings. Cart help carry younglings. All been very safe, all learn very fast, especially sisters."

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Arasylon

The childlike avatars hand came to his chin, stroking a beard which wasn;t there. "This is all very good to know. If there is any more you require of me I am always listening to your prayers. But before I leave, I believe the younglings have teaching songs for me." He turned and played a variant of the song the younglings made for him at the last village he visited on his penny whistle and beckoned the younglings back to him.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arasylon 5.1
    The younglings sing their songs, and perhaps surprising, or perhaps not, the two females of the group (there are only two female younglings) sing their song together. Though it is not necessarily better than any of the others, it is in fact their first try at a duet ever. The song is about traveling the Trails of the Niddog, and how every family is the basically the same, but they all know different things. The best singer however is a male younglings, somewhat larger and bolder than the rest, who sings about wanting to travel beyond the lands that they've seen, to see what no Niddog has seen before.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Arasylon

Arasylon applauded for each youngling that came before him and complimented on the strengths of their song. When the two females sang together he sat forward and took notice. "A beautiful duet. Your voices twine together with such beauty, and you song does indeed have a worthy lesson. You will have to tell me later how many duets you have heard before."

When the large male came forward Arasylon knew he had a winner above the rest. "While not a teaching song your song was beautiful and had a glorious message. To want to travel the lands and see the unseen is a noble and fantastic undertaking. I encourage you to learn as much as you can while with Music-Bringer and harbor that dream. When she says you are old enough and strong enough to go I hope you start walking and never visit the same place twice. And when that day comes. If your faith in me is strong enough, I will hear your prayers and see you off on your journey."

Arasylon listened to the last remaining songs and gave his judgement. "I will sing two songs for the gods. First the song of the two young ladies, showing it craftsmanship in creating a harmonic duet. Second I shall sing the song of traveling to honor its beauty and beautiful message."

He sent the younglings off to play again but called the two females forward to ask them about their duet.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arasylon 5.1
    All of the Younglings are pleased with the praises that Arasylon gives to them. Some of them look slightly saddened when they are not chosen, but they all congratulate the winners, and show no real signs of jealousy.

The larger male is quite pleased with Arasylon's praise,"Thank you Arasylon, I am glad you think my song was good. I worried, it was not a teaching song, but it was best song I could think of. You will really help guide my travels? To travel beyond this small forest? Really?" As the young male speaks Arasylon would notice that like his song, his voice is surprising deep and resonanant. However as he grows more and more excited about what Arasylon has said he voice grows slightly higher pitched, untill on the last word his voice cracks a bit, and afterwards the male remains silent for awhile, obviously embarrassed by his temporary lack of vocal controll.

When Arasylon call the twins over, they at first appear slightly timid, as if they fear they might have done something wrong, but when he merely asks about their duet, they gladly answer. "We have never heard a duet before. It just seemed, right, somehow. We figured we do everything else together, so why not sing together. Was it really good?" Arasylon would also notice that while some Niddogs are difficult to tell apart to the untrained eye, these two sisters appear to be exactly the same. When standing side-by-side, you would think that one must be a mirror-image of the other, and as they speak, they tend to finish eachothers sentance, making it diffuclt to tell exactly who's talking, but at least you know they agree on what they're saying.
    Last edited by Rogue_Dragon; 2008-06-05 at 03:04 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Arasylon

Arasylon spoke to the girls first "It was beautiful and skillfully done. That was the first time you ever heard a duet like that? Simply amazing. It is a skill I would practice if I were you two, see if you can teach it to the others, or get groups larger than two. Are you two twins? They say that twins are lucky, you know."

Arasylon then turned to the young male. "To travel and see new things is one of my favorite pastimes, it is how I became as powerfull as I am today and came to meet the Niddogg. I found that a good song or tale is welcome wherever you go. And it sounds like you are coming of age soon. Perhaps your journeys will start sooner than I though." Arasylon gave a broad smile.
    Last edited by Oculus; 2008-06-05 at 03:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

Forneus

Forneus intentionally comes to visit the Niddog as soon as he is able. He does not try to teach anything new - right now his task is to get the species to live together so he is there to prevent and solve any issues that may arise. Forneus helps out with getting food and setting the fires, plays with the young and if needed acts as arbiter (hopefully solving issues pro actively before they become serious).

OOC: it's a bit late and getting the two families together is the #1 priority so I can't really think of anything to add.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

Araylon 5.1
    The twins giggle a bit "We can teach them to sing together, that should be easy. We just didn't know if it was right to sing differnt parts of the song or not. And of course we are twins! Why else would we look the same?"

At Arasylons words the young male grows ecstatic "You really think I can start soon? It really make my strong? Help me learn to sing like you? I have to go tell the others!" Before even waiting for a response the young male runs off to the other younglings, litterally jumping with joy as he runs.

Forneus 5.0ish
    The two families meet together relatively peacefully, in a new area somwhere between where their two homes used to be. The Males seem to get along with eachother relatively well, though they rarely have to. One group out scavenging is almost always enough to feed both families, and it is not a problem for them to switch off, day after day. The females however are slightly harder to controll. Each one wants to be the one to decide when which group goes out scavenging, or goes to collect burning-materials, or repairs their homes, etc. And if it wasn't for Forneus' intervention, they likely would have split apart after the first day. However given a bit of time, they eventually fall into a kind of set pattern. Neither female really in charge, but the both understand who should be doing what at what time, simply out of shared habbit.
    Last edited by Rogue_Dragon; 2008-06-05 at 03:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Arasylon

Arasylon laughed at the exuberance of the three younglings he spoke with. As they ran of he called out "Wee will meet again, and sing together of the happy days of youth!"

He bowed to Music-Bringer and dematerialized.

Arasylon reappeared in the last village he had visited to see what had changed for them, what news they had of the god Mandak and how the young female with the crystal voice fared.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arasylon 5.2
    As Arasylon arrives he sees many of the younglings from before just starting to crest the top edge of their home's wall. As they see Arasylon they cheer and rush down off the wall cheering for Arasylon. "You returned! Arasylon is back!" come the cheers of the younglings, though they are now much larger than they were when Arasylon last saw them, and the girl with the crystal voice is indeed with them, in fact in the front of the charge towards Arasylon, her voice easily ringing above the others.
    Last edited by Rogue_Dragon; 2008-06-05 at 04:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mandak, 5.0
    Planning on making a habit of it, Mandak forms himself out of the back wall of his sanctuary. This time he is not the huge behemoth that visited them last time, but instead a mere eight feet tall. "Friends, I have returned, as I always will. How go things here in the forest? Is all well with the Niddog?" He will carry on this line of conversation, but eventually gets around to the main purpose of his visit. "When last I visited you, one of your families told me of a beast who prowls, and took their female from them. Now I go, to find this beast and protect you from its wrongdoing." He sets off in the direction of that family's wall.

((OOC: I overlapped the conversations to save time. How long does it take to reach the destination?))

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mandak 5.0
    The Niddog at first are startled by their wall moving out towards them, however once they recognize that it is Mandak, and not a collapse, they Gladly welcome him in. "The forest safe lately. No worries, much health and goodness." When Mandak speaks of the beast, a low murmur goes through the crowd "You kill beast? You have that power? Come, we show you place." Two of the larger males offer to accompany you to a housing area about 3 days travel from there. The males were part of the family that lost their female, and hence have joined the family Mandak created under the hill. When Mandak reaches the old home-stead, he finds a fairly young family now living there, keeping the walls in good repair, and a large fire pit at the top of the ramp, surely to keep predators out at night.

27. - Top - End - #177

Mandak, 5.0
    "It makes me glad that all is well. Be sure to think of me when something is wrong, so that I may come to aid you." Then, when they reach the formerly abandoned wall, "Greetings. I am Mandak, the Earthlord. I am come to best a great beast that once roamed these lands. DO you know where it is?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mandak 5.0
    The new inhabitants greet Mandak warmly "Thank you Earthlord. We have not seen the Beast. We heard tales of such a creature, but it has not come here in the weeks since we made this our home. We hear great roars though. At night we hear horrible sounds from the east, could that be the Niddog-slayer?"

29. - Top - End - #179

Mandak, 5.0
    "It may be. Stay here, Niddog." With that he ventures off in the direction indicated by the Niddog, being careful to listen and look for anything that might indicate the presence of the beast. He is willing to look for days, if it is necessary.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mandak 4.1
    The first day goes by un-eventfully as Mandak travels towards the origin of the suposed horrid sounds. However shortly after night-fall, Mandak hears them. The echoeing calls of some large creature, that could be none-other than the sounds the Niddog had heard. Mandak moves closer and closer to the sound, untill suddenly, when Mandak Knows that it should be nearby, the calls simply cease. Then Mandak hears rustling in the bushes to the left of him, and to the right of him, then all around him at once, the darkness of the forest night making it unable to see what creature, or creatures waites in the shadows. Then out of the corner of his eye, Mandak spots something moving towards him, something with a large tooth-filled maw, and two shining eyes, intent on making this 'Immortal' their next meal.