New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Pius Fidelis: Convert the Karksh

Turn 4.1, 4.2, and 4.7, The Karksh

Awlruts

Fasha cries out in pain as the spear sinks deep into his unresisting body. As fluid begins to drift out into the open water, he tries to form a last thought, but fails. The Karksh quickly start an uproar, nearly drowning out Awlruts words. Some few remain silent, listening, and it is these who note that there are no sounds of battle in the water surrounding, no motion that large things like the Arkshrash make. When she returns, they do not believe her. They try to tell their fellows that it was in fact her that killed Fasha, but many won't listen. Her trick seems to have fooled many who had disliked Ikeklos for leading the others away, but hadn't had a reason to consider him bad before. Fwush slides forward. "Please, Other Awlruts. It seems wise Fasha was wrong, and now he has disappeared. Please help us. Protect us."

Ardannis

"Thank you Ardannis. There has been talk of moving the colony, but we are not ready yet. Perhaps in time we will ask for your aid with that."

Tumine, Main Colony

She helps them, but truly the bigges hinderance is the fact that the Karksh bodies are made to go over the ground, not through it. Still, with practice, the Karksh are very slowly learning how to harden parts of their membrane and push it against the dirt. It will still take a while, but it's progress.

As she talks to the Karksh, she learns of the attack on Fasha, and his subsequent death at who Fip is positive was Ikeklos. Fip seems very distraught about this, which is very off her usual calm enthusiasm.

"H..he was there. And I was so far away, but I still heard him scream. And I go there as fast as I could. B..but F...Fasha...he Disappeared. I never got to... But Awlruts! She offered to protect us, like you did. Can you protect us with her? Can you keep Ikeklos away? Please, Tumine?"

Tumine, Exodus Colony

The help is appreciated, but it seems that again the Karksh bodies do not adapt quickly, and are simply too loose and floppy to swim well. The currents themselves tug at their skin. Again, some progress is made, but it is slow. She learns that Ikeklos left a long time ago, and hasn't been back.
    Last edited by Jerian_Rumple; 2008-06-03 at 08:50 PM.
    Seek ye not the source of honey, lest ye find it.

-The True Jerian Rumple

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Awlruts, 4.2

"Yes, of course my dear ones." Awlruts said purring these words, "I will protect you, I will be your mother, but you must love me, adore me." Her calm had returned, her words meant to soothe those who turned to her. "I will teach, you have a very adaptable form, in time you can learn to control it. For all those who love me, you are part of my Cult. My Cult of Awlruts, love others if you must, but love me first." After her speach she will then turn to the task of trying to tap this latent ability in them, all the time trying to learn as much as she can and of course teaching them applications of War their bodys have, and how with this they can help better defend themselves, and better attack others.
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

3. - Top - End - #93

Tumine, Turn 4.7

Spoiler
    Show
    I do believe it is turn 4, by the way

Main Colony
    Awlruts... She was there when Fasha disappeared?

Listen, Fip, Iklekos didn't do this. He hasn't returned here since the Karksh who left got to their new home. He was badly hurt when he and I fought another Arkshrash, and he had to leave to heal himself. He hasn't been back since, and it seems to me that this... Awlruts... is trying to take advantage of the fact that we Immortals cannot be seen by you Karksh. I have not talked long with her, but I will. Very, very soon.

After consoling Fip additionally, Tumine goes directly to the scene of the attack, and confronts Awlruts if she is still there (I don't think she is), and to the Karksh there, she explains everything that she knows (as above).
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha 4.7

Sedha appears near the Exodus Colony. She approaches the Karksh there, without any particular preference to which one she approaches. "Greetings. Has my advice of using your food to hide been of any use?"

After spending several days in the Exodus Colony, Sedha travels back to the Main Colony. ((Tempting to start calling it the Genesis Colony...))

Once she gets there (4.9), she walks up to the one of the Karksh. "Greetings, I am Sedha. I have been gone for a long time. I bring news of the other Karksh, and wish for knowledge of what has transpired in my absence. If there are any wounded among you, perhaps I could aid provide aid for you."
    Last edited by pseudovere; 2008-06-04 at 01:43 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 4.2 and 4.7, The Karksh

Awlruts

"Alright!" thinks Fwush, but the other Karksh seem hesitant. An older one thinks, "We will listen to you, Awlruts. We will respect you. But do not ask us to love a not-life, a not-Karksh. Like Fasha said, we are Karksh, first and foremost, and no matter if you have driven off Ikeklos or not, you are not. In time, perhaps, but it is too much to ask right now." Most seem to agree with this one, who's name is Grrg.

They try to learn how to shift their body's shape, as it aids in Tumine's teachings as well, and they make some progress, but since their physique is so alien to Awlruts she mainly can just give ideas and moral support.

Tumine

Fip is silent in shock for a moment. "Sh...she killed Fasha? No, but...it was Ikeklos. He split the colony, and he's deemed the ones that haven't left a waste. It made sense...I'm confused, Tumine!"

When she gets to the scene of attack, Awlruts is indeed gone. She relates what she believes to the rest of the Karksh. Some seem to agree, some don't (especially Fwush), most are confused, like Fip. They immediately begin to debate amongst themselves. Were the Others lying to them? Which ones were? Was Awlruts the bad one, or Ikeklos, or both, or neither?

Sedha

At the Exodus Colony she is greeted by Shhhp. "Hello, Sedha. We have been trying to use your plan, but it is hard when we cannot see what we are hiding in. Still, it is believed that we are being Disappeared less then we could be, so thank you."

Back at the main colony, things are in an uproar. Before Sedha gets to her second sentence, a young Karksh named Thhshish speaks up, "Sedha! I've heard of you, you're an Other! What is true, Other? Who speaks the truth? We're all so confused, and everyone is so angry. Please help us!"
    Last edited by Jerian_Rumple; 2008-06-03 at 09:56 PM.

-The True Jerian Rumple

6. - Top - End - #96

Awlruts, 4.2-4.5

Her main conern gone, and the Karksh now open to her, of course dissent hadn't ended, but most all were convinced. "Understandable, he was right about that. Love, and adoration should be earned. For his wise words, he shall be honoured, and I shall make sure his name is known to the Karksh forever. Now I must go, I have many things to do, but I will be back and I will bring back a gift." with that she closeds her eyes and stands still, begining her demanifestation.
    Last edited by Valgunn; 2008-06-03 at 09:54 PM.
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

7. - Top - End - #97

Tumine Barok, Turn 4.7-4.9

Tumine gives approximately this speech at both locations, trying to settle the confusion and restore a shred of confidence in these poor creatures.

Tumine speaks to Fip and the others slowly, making a conscious effort to be calm and in control. There was a time for vengeance, but the Karksh did not have to witness it.
    Iklekos has not been here for a long time. When the attack happened, I was talking to him somewhere else, and he was badly wounded from fighting Arkshrash. You said that Awlruts was there at the time, so I will talk to her at the first chance I get to find out what happened.

Iklekos did not mean to split the colony, I don't think. He may be misguided occasionally, but he certainly means you no harm. And please remember, Iklekos never said that the ones who did not leave were waste. Those were Awlruts' words, as you've described.

I would like to tell you all not to trust any of the other Immortals, or Gods or Goddesses, or whatever they style themselves. Others. However, I won't tell you that, for you Karksh are smart and should make the decision on your own. I will remain here, overseeing both [this colony] and [the other colony], for some time now, in case Awlruts or one of the Others comes back. I must talk with them, and now more than ever, I must protect you from them.

Tumine does, indeed, spend the next several weeks among the Karksh in her largest form. Any other Immortals she sees will be approached immediately, not threateningly, but she will position herself firmly between them and the Karksh until she has determined conclusively that they are no threat.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 4.8

Once more, the water of the lake plays host to the chilling form of Ikeklos. But this time, it sought its Truth-Seekers: The more vulnerable of the two groups, it needed the greatest amount of protection and tutelage.

It formed nearby, seeking out its Truth-Bearer, Shhhp.
    "Greetings, Truth-Bearer. I return once more. Tell me, did you share my Truth? Have the Truth-Seekers remembered the knowledge we have given?"

9. - Top - End - #99

Tumine, Turn 4.8

Exodus Group

Tumine intercepts Iklekos when he appears, and takes him aside before he can speak, talking so only he can hear.

Iklekos. Many of the Karksh at the other settlement are under the impression that you murdered Fasha and intend to do harm to many of the other Karksh. I expect this is the work of another Immortal, whose name I take to be Awlruts, but I have not spoken to her yet. If my sense of things is correct, you could not possibly have committed the attack, as you were in the other room causing a ruckus at the time, waiting for your Avatar to heal. I've been staying here, partolling back and forth, in case of other Immortals coming and doing more harm. I just warn you that the Karksh will probably not trust you right off, though I've done my best to persuade them that you were not the killer.

When they finish their conversation, she will announce to the Karksh that he is here and not to be afraid.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos

Ikeklos' face is stoic. It hears the news, and says nothing. It is many moments before Ikeklos does anything beyond stare blankly, at the direction of the original colony.
    Then, quietly, it speaks. As it does so, rancor slowly leaks into what it says, growing slowly.
    "Awlruts. Spear-Holder. A... female. Professes herself to be the Essence of Lust and War. Wields a spear. Acts impetuously. First act I witnessed was leveling said spear at an inoffensive Other. She accepted Chaos-Writer's gift.
    Do you mean to tell me, Water-Weaver, that this...Wastrel... Blamed that Water-Dwellers' death on me? That, given her nature, may have ended it herself? And that, in their fear, the Water-Dwellers believed her? That they gave in to their fear, did not think rationally? That she has disrupted the Truth I bore to them? "

Ikeklos pauses. Then, without any of the rancor, it speaks again.
    "Chaos-Writer... Must be told. I know that you accepted her gift. But she does not trust me. If I tell her what has transpired... she will think that I lie. I do not. But it seems that the truth has less and less meaning.
    Chaos-Writer's only wish was to prevent harm to these creatures. If... If Spear-Holder would go so far as to kill one in order to cause them fear, and ruin my Truth... Then Chaos-Writer must know what those who use her power have wrought.
    For now, I must go to the Original Group. They may reject me. If she has truly poisoned them against me so much that they will not return... I must accept that.
    But the Truth must be told. Else, all is lost."

Ikeklos speaks briefly with Shhhp, asking it, more or less, to keep up the good work. Then it begins walking toward the original colony.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha

Exodus Colony 4.7:

Sedha is smiles inwardly, happy that she has done something to aid them. "Those words bring me the most happiness I have had in quite a long time, Shhhp. Have you managed to find anything to help you eat the food slower?

Main Colony 4.9:

Sedha is sudden change of behavior. In a calm, but urgent voice, she addresses Thhshish. "Calm yourself, Thhshish. What has happened while I have been gone?"
    Last edited by pseudovere; 2008-06-04 at 01:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

Tumine Barok, Turn 4.7

Main Colony

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm just noting here that Tumine is constantly, relentlessly patrolling between the two colonies, so if Sedha stays here for any significant period of time, expect Tumine to show up (or just start talking with her whenever it's mildly convenient. Just know she's never gone for very long from either site.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha

Spoiler
    Show
    I did post that I stayed in the Exodus colony for several days, before going to the main colony, during which I likely passed you. If you want to make start a conversation, feel free to do so... actually maybe you shouldn't as it would mess with continuity, seeing as when I get to the main colony, I apparently don't know about the situation.

14. - Top - End - #104

Tumine Barok, turn 4.7

Main Colony
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, I'll just start one up here and leave it up to divine whatever that our paths never crossed :)

I can answer that, says Tumine's voice. Moments later, she is visible, a full 15 feet long, swimming quickly and powerfully towards the colony.
    As you evidently do not know what has happened here, I will trust you, though I do not know you as well as I would like.
    Fasha has been murdered. I believe it to be the work of another immortal, one who calls itself Awlruts, based on the stories the Karksh have told me. Whoever did it was clever, and made it seem as though it were Iklekos' doing, though I know beyond doubt that he was incapable of committing the attack. Understandably, the Karksh are scared, and do not know who to trust.
    I have not yet spoken to Awlruts. Do you know anything of this Immortal?

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Tek 4.8-4.99

Tek approaches the Karksh main settlement. He is 15 feet high and wears Mask of Benevolence.

He meets Tumine Barok, blocking his path. He assumes the worst – the Immortals decided to monopolize the Karksh and leave him out.

“Greetings… to you. Tumine, of Growth. Why do you block my path?”

(OCC – I assume Tek would be told what happened and let in in the end.)

Tek approaches the Karksh carefully.

“Greetings to you. I heard the news of tragedy that occurred. Please tell me in your words, what happened. I wish to know the truth. I feel greatest sorrow for the passing of my friend Fasha.”

Tek asks questions and observes how death of Fasha affected the Karksh, who are the most respected Karksh now and what their plans are for the future.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kranolk: Turn 4.7

Kranolk bites his lip to contain himself and shrugs. "Yes, I should have guessed that there is little your people can do to hunt. You do not seem to be very suited to combat."

He pauses and hefts his spear, still not quite realiing that the Karksh do not have eyes. "I am strong, however, and I can help protect you from these WHishwhish, and maybe teach you to defend yourselves, though I am not sure how. Do you want the help?"
    Cardinal Ximinez by Mephibosheth
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisqui
    And yes, that is pretty much exactly what she meant. Don Beegles FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
    An appeal to me in this fiendish row - is there? Very well; I heard; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

(OOC: Alright, big one. And just as a warning, it might be considered incredibly convenient that everyone showed up .1 turn after Tumine found out. We're letting it slide, but ask if it was coincidence or metagaming.)

Turn 4.7 - a while, The Karksh

Exodus Colony

The Karksh here are shocked to learn about the death of Fasha, especially Shhhp, and they believe Tumine completely, that there's no way Ikeklos could have done it. When Ikeklos arrives they immediately begin telling him of what happened in the main colony, until interrupted by Tumine.

Main Colony

Tumine's words spark a new flurry of debate. "That's how she drove Ikeklos off so quickly!" "No, it's because he wasn't here!" "Why shouldn't he be? He's always so calm and collected. I think he'd do it without a second thought, if it went against one of his so-called truths!" "You're just angry that your Rhash went with them! Don't think with a clouded-" "Don't you dare finish that thought! You should have gone with the others!" "I don't trust her. It's too convenient." "Yeah well I don't trust him. It's obvious he was trying to get more to leave and go to him. I also don't trust anyone who sides with him just because he was injured, -Tumine-. A Karksh can be hurt and still gather food. Why shouldn't cruel Others like him be able to disappear one of us in a heartbeat, wounded or not? We know we can't hurt things yet, but Awlruts is trying to change that. You offered protection. Now Fasha is Disappeared. Awlruts is going to help us protect ourselves!" "But she Disappeared Fasha!" "Prove it!"

Thhshish speaks up quietly when Tumine talks to Sedha. "Without doubt? So you know that he could not have been here with absolute certainty? But what if you're lying? What if Sedha knows and is lying? Someone has to be lying. Others used to be my heroes. Now Others are lying to the Karksh..." Intense waves of depression practically flow out of this Karksh, and you get the sense that if Karksh had tear ducts, it would be crying.

Tek is met by Fip. "Tek! Fasha is dead! And now all the Others are telling us that someone else did it. Awlruts says Ikeklos did it, which no matter what Tumine says I can understand. But Tumine says that Awlruts did it. She was pushy and wanted us to like her, so I can understand that. Fasha was Disappeared, though it sounded like Awlruts was trying to protect him from Ikeklos, and then she went away to fight him, and then came back, and Fasha is gone... What our plans are? Shut up Tek! Just shut up! Fasha is dead, that's all I know. The Karksh are confused and scared, and I don't see how that's ever going to change, and I don't care! Fasha is dead..." Tek also eventually finds out that Fwush is the Karksh closest to Awlruts, but with all this commotion he'll be very hard to find.

For a while his question isn't answered due to the sudden commotion all over the colony. However, after a while a Karksh, very frustrated, says to him, "Protect us? Everyone wants to protect us! Tell you what, protect us from you. Protect us from the other Others! Listen to that! Listen to what you Others have done to the Karksh! No one knows what to think anymore about your kind, so why don't you all just leave?"

-The True Jerian Rumple

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha 4.9

Sedha stared in disbelief at Tumine for several seconds as the Karksh talked and then turned slowly back to Thhshish. You get the feeling that she tried to talk, but couldn't get herself to.

"I know the Karksh want a definite answer. However, as I said, the Others don't know everything, even about other Others. I have never even heard of this "Awlruts" before I came here. If it is any help, know this: I will never, ever lie to you, and that if I had the choice, I would sooner let myself disappear than let a single one of you do so.

"I believe I know Ikeklos. If I know him correctly, then he would never do such a thing, that if he had wanted to, he would have done it ages ago, and because of my lack of knowledge of Awlruts's character I am tempted to blame her, especially since I can see a clear reason that she would want to kill Fasha, and no reason for Ikeklos to do so. However, I was not there, so I cannot truthfully say I know he is innocent or that she is guilty, because I truely don't know.

"But know this: I will get to the bottom of this, and bring you word of what I find, and I will find a way to make sure that nothing like this ever happens to you again.
    "

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Tek

Tek silently waits, observing the communications of Karksh. Their grief makes them deaf to anything he has to say. But sooner or later, the feelings of sorrow would lessen, and they’ll start seriously thinking of what to do next. When this window of opportunity opens, Tek would step in and deliver his speech to all of Karksh.

"The Immortals bring you truths and lies. Both of them lead to much suffering for Karksh. Each truth and each lie divide Karksh further. Those who followed Ikeklos left. Now would those who follow Alwruts leave too? And then those who follow another Immortal? And another? Now there are Immortals, who lie and hurt to divide you. You have but three options."

"You could reject all Immortals. We bring you progress and pain, truths and lies, change and chaos. Without us you would be at peace. If you make this choice I would honor it and leave you alone, until you allow me to return. I don’t know if other Immortals would respect your wishes."

"You could accept all Immortals. Then the Karksh will be separated and dispersed, as each new Immortal would divide Karksh further. But all Karksh would be free to do as they like, follow, whomever they wish. It is way of loneliness and freedom. It’s the choice you would have, if you can’t all come to the same decision."

"You could accept only Immortals every Karksh trusts. Then there will be no division among Karksh and you would gain what the Immortals have to teach you. Of course there might not be Immortal who is trusted by all."

"I await your judgment."
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2008-06-04 at 03:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

Tumine Barok, turn 4.7-9ish

Main Colony
    Tumine makes a few brief explanations, but for the most part allows the Karksh to discuss the events among themselves, and she openly states her agreement with Tek's comments.

(The most important thing she explains is that no, she doesn't trust Iklekos simply because he was hurt, but because she was with him at the time of the attack. She explains things calmly, attempting to appeal to the Karksh's highly-rational minds, despite that part of the mind being harder to reach through the flurry of emotion. This would calm in time, and the truth would be sorted out.)

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

(I'm still not quite certain how long it takes Ikeklos to plod along the lake bed from the Colony to the main cluster, so I'll leave that up to Jerian)

Ikeklos

Slowly, like a convict coming before a judge, Ikeklos approaches the main cluster of the Karksh. It looks at them, watching them, hearing their discord, their fear.
    It speaks.
    "I, Ikeklos, have returned to your people, Water-Dwellers."
    Then, it waits. It waits for their fear. It waits for their resentment. Their anger. Their rejection. It weathers all this with trademark stoicism. Then, it speaks again.

"Do you remember the Second Great Truth I revealed? I dissuaded passion, dissuaded falling prey to emotion. And yet, now, despite my teachings, I but wish that I could join you: that I could feel the sorrow, the betrayal you feel, for I would feel it as strongly as any of you. Instead, all I have is a dull ache, a regret for what has been lost.
    I know little of what has come to pass. Another Deity came among you. An Awlruts. I know her. Spear-Holder. A deity of Lust. A deity of War. A representation of senseless passion. In that time, Fasha died. Blame settled upon me. Given her nature, I can assume it was Spear-Holder who claimed this. I could not have done so. At the time, I was healing after leading the Truth-Seekers to a new place. On the way, I killed an Arkshrash to protect them from harm, and was aided by others. With the damage I had taken, I was unable to protect them, and went off to heal. These are the events, as I had done them. I offer my word that I do not lie... but I understand that that means little now."

Ikeklos is silent a long time.

"Water-Dwellers. Many Others have come before you. Many have said they bear you great knowledge. Many have said they will offer protection. Many have stated who they are, and why they are good.
    Has one ever told you that it had failed? For I have.
    When I first came among you, my Chosen people, I saw great potential. I saw great eagerness to learn. I promised to protect you. When some wished to view the land beyond, I complied, taking them there. I had hoped, after they had learned of the land beyond, to return them to you, so that they could bring their knowledge to you... That you could once again be one people. Now, I have failed you both.
    Weakened from the attacks, I could not be there to protect you when you needed it the most. And now, I am concerned that you will not accept the others back, for you fear that I am an evil Wastrel. I wish to teach them still, and return them after, but I do not want you to fear and hate them through their association with me.
    I promised to protect you. I could not. I failed. If you feel you can no longer trust me, if you no longer wish my protection, I understand. I will not bother you further. But know this: Every thing I have done, every word I have spoke, every step I have took, every move I have made while here has been to help your people, to increase their knowledge and wisdom, and to keep them safe from others and themselves. If you believe that giving in to fear, into hate, and into the whims of a Wastrel who is not here now to back up her claims... If you believe that this will keep you safe... Then I will leave. And I will wish that I could weep, for your people, so terribly wronged.

But... But I must know a truth. In the moments before Fasha was killed, what did Spear-Holder say? What was she saying? Did Fasha reply in any way? I must know this. I yearn for it."

Ikeklos is quiet once more.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 2.7-2.9, The Karksh

Sedha

Thhshish calms down a little. "A...alright. Please, Sedha. Everyone's so angry and confused, and all the Others are accusing Awlruts, but she isn't here, and they weren't here. Please. Find out what happened before everything changes..."

Tek (and all present)

Fip takes charge, once she is calm, as the Karksh do realize that Tek has a point. They discuss what he has said, and then Fip carefully thinks her reply.

"Tek. You were one of the first Others to come visit us. You taught us language. Gave us a gift. You never led us astray. You told us what you would do to help us, and delivered it. As such, we consider you a friend."

"As I said, you have never led us astray, until just now, with your choices. I suppose we should thank you. You made things much clearer for many of us. You have taught us that all Others are alike. All others consider themselves a gift to the Karksh. All Others claim to have answers. All Others believe themselves to be the solution to all Karksh problems. Well, now we say to you and your kind that -you- are the Karksh problem."

"You pull us apart. Ask us to believe things we do not wish to. Claim to be creations of thought or of elements or of concepts, and that since you are these things, that we should listen to you and do exactly as you say. Well, we beg to differ. Others aren't some strange creations. They are another form of life. Simple, fallible life. We cannot see you, it's true, but that does not mean you are not life. You are simply a life we do not understand. Not only are you lifes, you are parasites. And we are your host. You bleed us for information, and give back little. Some of you aid us, and these are welcome. Some demand of us, harm us, like Ikeklos or Awlruts might have. They are less welcome. But all affect us. All change the Karksh from what we would be without them. This process has started, and cannot be stopped, and so you all have succeeded in joining with the Karksh."

"But know you this. The Karksh are not of one mind. The Karksh are many. Yet still we survive. We are not strong. Still we survive. We are not fast. Still we survive. How is this possible? For we know that even if we are of different minds, we are Karksh. No matter how dumb a Karksh, no matter how strange his ideas, he is Karksh. We may argue, but we are Karksh."

"You, Others, so quick to pass judgement on your own kind! Sedha, you base judgment off of rumors. Tek, you as well. You accuse Awlruts although you barely know her, based off the word of Tumine and your knowledge of Ikeklos. Learn of Awlruts first. When you have done so, find -proof-. I wish to know more than any Karksh what happened to F...to our friend. But I will no longer listen to Others spout off ideas about which Other did what. The Karksh deserve proof! We are the wronged ones, and we deserve the truth, not a version of it. Until you have proof, stop these accusations and think about one simple fact. We are Karksh. You are Others. Why is it we are more united than you?"

Ikeklos

After her speech, Ikeklos speaks. Fip takes it upon herself to reply.

"Ikeklos. The Karksh do no know who killed Fas... who killed him. But I do know this. It was Shisha who believed you had wronged the Karksh, not Fasha. Fasha would have welcomed you back. Do I trust you? No. Do most Karksh trust you? No. But there is no proof, and so I will do what Fasha would have. You will be welcome here still. But there is also no sufficient proof that Fasha did it either. So you will accept that she is welcome. You will all accept that she is still welcome until we are convinced that she did do the deed.

She relays what happened before Fasha's death as it was relayed to Tumine, though much calmer. When she is done, she falls silent for a short time, and those around her have gone quiet out of respect.

"Yes, Ikeklos. You are still welcome. As are all Others. I am distraught, and we are all weary. We all wish for an end, but there is none. Fasha wished for the Karksh to travel. I now wish it as well. But I am growing old. I have created no new Karksh, so I cannot ask them to continue to wish for travel. Still. Karksh, Others, I ask all of you. For Fasha, this first casualty caused by Others, to be the last. And to take his dream and make it yours. May the Karksh grow strong, and then may we leave this not-life and explore."

She falls silent again, and then begins crawling away.

-The True Jerian Rumple

23. - Top - End - #113

Tumine Barok, turn 4.9
    Main Colony

Karksh, I, like Iklekos, have failed you. The first thing I told you when I arrived here was that I would protect you, and though I have not done it successfully, if you wish to travel, and if you wish me to, I will travel with you and protect you as I protected the others on their journey.

As for the question of what happened here and who did what, I will do everything that I can to find out the truth, and further, to give the Karksh the ability to verify this truth, and prevent this sort of occurrence from ever happening again.

Unless you would like me to stay, I will leave now. When I return, I will hopefully be able to bring good news and help to the Karksh.

Tek, when you leave here, I wish to speak with you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    referring to the conversation already going on in the outer plane

That is all, Karksh. I am truly sorry for what has happened here, and I will do everything in my power to see that it never happens again.

Assuming no desperate outcry for her to stay, Tumine shimmers into the water, dematerializing on the spot.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kranolk: Turn 4.7

Kranolk is really confused. He had noticed a lot of Gods hanging around, but there had always been a lot of those everywhere. Apparently he had missed some Immortal politics, as was often the case, it seemed. Completely confused, and unsure of what else to do, he dematerializes.
    Cardinal Ximinez by Mephibosheth
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisqui
    And yes, that is pretty much exactly what she meant. Don Beegles FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
    An appeal to me in this fiendish row - is there? Very well; I heard; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos

Ikeklos is silent a long time. If it could harbor strong emotions... it would be filled with sorrow, but also with pride.

"I see you wish to be alone. In deference to your people, I will stifle my advice, my preachings, my endless prattle." It says, a little defeated. "I wish wisdom to you and yours. I will ask questions, and find truths. But most importantly... I will teach those who have left you of the world beyond with all I can... that they may return to you faster."

Ikeklos confronts the other immortals.
    "These accusations, as well as the evidence, against Spear-Holder are grave, indeed. But insufficient. If only we could find Fasha's body, some truth might be gleaned from it. But no. All we can do is query Spear-Holder, without rancor, without leading. If she has done as is suspected... Chaos-Writer must be told. I would not dishonor her by allowing murders to be done with her gift.

I...do not think I will return to these Water-Dwellers for some time. I do not know what will happen should Spear-Holder return while I am here. Should they, or you, ask for me, I would return, but I will not come of my own volition. Now, I must return to the Truth-Seekers. There is much to teach them. So very, very much."

Ikeklos begins to Dematerialize, hoping that it can return to the Truth-Seekers faster by this method. But, it's in for a little surprise...

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Tek

Tek sounds confused:

“I’ve never accused Awlruts or made promises I didn’t keep. All I did was teach and advise you. I said there were Immortals lying to you, but it is logical that either Awlruts or Ikeklos is not telling the truth. Or some terrible misunderstanding took place.”

“Tell me Fip, what proof would you accept? Would all Karksh trust my word if I named one Immortal guilty? If all I could find, would be words and logical conclusions? Or would some claim that I am lying and confusion would grow even further? If you would give me that much trust I’ll search for truth. Overwise I can’t help you.”

“You called us parasites, but I disagree. Parasites are always harmful. We on other hand could also benefit you.”

“We are different from you. We think differently from Karksh and we don’t share our deepest thoughts with each other. If you wish I can teach you, what I know of how Immortals think and what they desire. You’d be able to distinguish between our truths and lies, know how to control our influence better.”

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sedha 4.9

"Fasha, I resent your accusation of me following rumors. I merely said what I would like to believe, not what I believe to be true. I am aware that I know nothing, and I have said as much.

"Aside from that, your speech was beautiful. You speak what I hold to be the greatest truths in life. This is much to serious a matter to be left to rumors. All that we can be sure of at this point is that an Other caused the death of Fasha, and that an Other using the name of Awlruts was present at the time of the murder.

"In fact, given the evidence that we have now, any Other, even I could be the murderer. As long as this matter remains unsolved, and until I have solid proof that I can show the Karksh, I will consider it a blemish on my name as well. An Other bringing death to this world will not be tolerated by me, even if I stand alone in doing so.

"I must leave now, but before I do, I would treat any of your wounds, if any of you would have me do so.
    "

Sedha will heal the Karksh in the main colony for up to 4.95, at which she leaves for the Outer Plane.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 4 Wrap-up, The Karksh

Fip pauses as the Others start disappearing. She seems vaguely saddened. To Ikeklos it seems like she won't reply, when finally she thinks, "Good. Go to them. You and they have proven Shisha wrong, but they will need aid. And tell Shhhp I miss him."

When Tek speaks up, she thinks softly, "No, Tek, we...I cannot give you that much trust. I cannot speak for the others in that matter. Look at it from our side. We would lie for a fellow Karksh. Why would Others not lie for a fellow Other? Until you can bring us more proof then stories, I will not accept it. As I said, other Karksh might. It is for them to decide. And I would not have you teach us the minds of the Others. I fear for my people as it is. Getting into the Others' minds would only hasten the end..."

She does not reply to Sedha, but does not deny her, and Sedha does indeed heal a few.

Turn Switch

Those in the Exodus Colony continue to grow in numbers, and make sure to tell all new Karksh of the other Karksh left behind, and of the Others that made the trip possible. Shhhp dies a peaceful death, believing he did the right thing.

In the Genesis Colony things are quiet. As a race the Karksh are depressed and feeling betrayed, though who betrayed them is a matter of opinion. Though the words of the Others and of the more attentive Karksh have decreased the numbers of those who believe Awlruts did not kill Fasha, there are a few who can't help but favor her over Ikeklos for slights perceived against them. Despite all the words about how Others are not needed by the Karksh, the sheer amount of Other activity recently has made the Karksh even more aware of them, and the young Karsh begin wishing for their favorite ones to come back. Sedha is actually the most appreciated, as her calm demeanor make her a rock to hold on to in these troubled times, and she isn't as controversial as Ikeklos.

The Karksh as a race seem to become smarter, as they grapple with concepts they rarely have had to deal with before, and their language improves as well. They also continue to work on their telepathic abilities, extending its range by quite a bit, or so it seems. A Karksh can now be heard five body lengths away with ease, and farther with strain. As time wears on the Karksh society begins to change. Karksh like Fip are held in high esteem, held above their peers, and are looked to for guidance. They work on their ability to control their shape, both as a way to hope for a day when all this will be over and Tumine can teach them again, and as a way to protect themselves from the Others should worse come to worst, but it is exceedingly slow going, as they try to find out ways to do things the Karksh body simply isn't ready for.

-The True Jerian Rumple

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Tek, Turn 5.01

Tek arrives 15 feet high, wearing Mask of Benevolence, to the Genesis colony. He greets the Karksh, so they would know it is him. After establishing the situation in the Colony (learning which Immortals hold sway over hearts of Karksh), he begins gathering information about Karksh food procurement. He asks Karksh and travels with them, when they go to gather food.

1. How do Karksh decide, where to search for food?
    2. What food do they gather?
    3. How do Karksh coordinate their movements?
    3. How do they protect themselves from predators (swim only in safe waters, hide, flee)?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, turn 5.1

Ikeklos' spider-like bulk, large as possible, returns to the Truth-Seekers colony, seeking its Truth-Speaker. Upon hearing of Shhhp's death, Ikeklos is given pause. It inquires as to how it happened, and is somewhat relieved to hear that it was peaceful. But Ikeklos is apprehensive. It wonders... who now speaks for the Truth-Seekers?

That interaction may go on for some time. However, at its conclusion, Ikeklos has much to teach the Truth-Seekers, but does not wish to press them, letting them learn at their own rate. However, here is the Syllabus:

1) The Karksh need to learn how to swim. Ikeklos is largely unskilled in these matters, so it can help little. If Tumine makes an appearance, Ikeklos will ask her to help with this part.

2)The Karksh need to learn how to protect themselves from predators. This is a two-fold investigation/instruction by Ikeklos.
    First, Ikeklos is curious about the fluid the Karksh use to digest plants. Is it corrosive? If so, is it capable of dissolving stone, or shell? The gist of this is Ikeklos is trying to determine if the Karksh have some natural method by which they can shape stone or shell.
    This leads to the second part, involving the creation of "hats". Based off of Sedha's idea of camouflage, if the Karksh could be taught to carry around shaped shell or stone on top of them, they have portable camouflage/armor to hide/protect them from predators. If the Karksh cannot shape material, then they will have to rely on any protection that occurs naturally in the right shape... for now, at least.

3) The Karksh need to learn of the air. This one is complicated. It involves taking them to shallow enough water that, by standing as tall as possible, Ikeklos is able to hold his arms above water. This is only to be undertaken by the most willing Karksh, and they must be made to understand that this will be dangerous.
    Ikeklos starts very slowly: Participants are lifted, slowly, towards the surface. Any discomfort is to be reported. Then, Ikeklos holds a portion of them above the surface of the water. They are to tell Ikeklos and others how they feel. Every session, Ikeklos intends to hold them a little further out, unless it becomes obvious that they cannot handle it. By this method, even still under the water, Ikeklos is also exposing them to Direct sunlight: If the Karksh have any latent method of photo-sensitivity, Ikeklos intends to help them train it to be stronger, by having them focus on it, discerning light and shadow.

4) The Karksh need to learn of the species beyond. Ikeklos starts with the closest species, the Oque, who it has personally visited. It teaches the Karksh what it knows of them (not much) and attempts to show what one looks like by encouraging a volunteering Karksh to shape its body appropriately. As this flexibility also seems to be a natural advantage of the Karksh, it will also attempt to encourage them to train this ability as well, hoping for an end result of developing manipulators.
    It also teaches them what it can of the Zygon, whose individualistic outlook is emphasized as strange.

5) The Karksh need to learn about weight-training, as odd as it sounds. Outside of water, natural buoyancy will not help them, and they will have to support themselves. By means of weights and rocks, Ikeklos hopes to teach the Karksh how to hold themselves upright and maintain their body shape.

6) The Karksh also need to continue learning from the other Deities Ikeklos trusts: Tumine, Sedha, and Bile. If any of these deities come around to teach the Karksh their Truths, Ikeklos will postpone or lighten its own teachings, and help the others teach their Truth. Other Deities, however, may be on their own, although Ikeklos will not directly interfere with their teachings unless they are obviously hostile to its charges... and it keeps a very close eye on such things.

7) And, of course, all along Ikeklos helps the Karksh to acknowledge and live by the Great Truths it has taught them: It never forces the ideal, but it should be noted that almost everything Ikeklos does will have a considerable slant towards this area.

Throughout this, Ikeklos notices two things. One, an Idea, the second, a potential.
    The idea is actually somewhat reliant on the world, and so may not actually be true. Ikeklos is trying to learn, by first hand viewing, the ecology of this underwater world. It is fascinated by it. GM willing, it may be possible that this world possesses an equivalent of sponges, muscles, and barnacles: Creatures that latch and solidify themselves to other objects to act as an anchor. If these exist, Ikeklos may realize that they are, in fact, living creatures, and tries to encourage a couple to latch to its form. As such, this would give it pinpoints of life that would serve as beacons to watching Karksh, finally giving Ikeklos a semblance of form. It should be noticed that, while Ikeklos is cold, it is not freezing: Its natural chill cannot harm creatures.

The second is that the Karksh are far more intelligent than any other creatures Ikeklos has come across. It is beginning to dawn on Ikeklos that they may be even more intelligent than their knowledge would suggest, but that no one actually told them what they would need to be more intelligent. To this end, Ikeklos continues what it has always done, but now with purpose: It doesn't pull punches when it comes to knowledge. It doesn't dumb things down, and if a Karksh doesn't understand, Ikeklos doesn't patronize it, but simply explains downwards until it reaches a point the Karksh understands, and then explains back up. And, on this point, Ikeklos is eternally patient. Beyond answering questions, Ikeklos encourages them to ask, explaining everything and anything they are curious about. It tries to be truthful. If it doesn't know the answer to a question, it will tell them so. It will, however, remember the question, and ask any other deities that come along if they know.

Ikeklos, in fact, plans on spending at least the Entire Turn doing this. It will only stop if interrupted by catastrophe, danger to its charges, or any other important thing that other deities may interrupt it with.

(ooc: Sorry about the HUEG post, but my schedule for the next couple days is a bit nebulous, and I'd like to make sure I get this all down. If I get some time, I'll RP each bit, but I may not, so... Better safe than sorry)
    Last edited by Altairius; 2008-06-05 at 05:59 PM.