New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Pius Fidelis: Convert the Karksh

Ardannis, 7.0

Spoiler
    Show
    He'll stay for a week or two - long enough to see the interactions started. Also, we...kinda did our intros for getting the groups close enough to meet already...do we have to do something else, or can we hear about the meeting now?

Ardannis collaborates with Iklekos and Tek to see if there are any easy ways for the Niddog to get a little closer to the Karksh, like a rock outcrop they can stand on. Other than that, he waits patiently as the Karksh slowly approach the shore.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

First, Niddog/Karksh interaction.
    Rassh leads the initial party of about 25 Karksh towards the shore. When it's apparent that life they've never run in to before is standing before them, many Karksh hesitate, but Rassh doesn't. Thinking loudly towards the Niddog, he says, "Hello. We are the Karksh. Do you truly think like we do?"

Once the Niddog see the strange blobs which they easily recognize from discriptions of the Karksh, they start calling out, their lyrical voices echoing into the water, and their somewhat chaotic thoughts leaving much static in the minds of the Karksh. However after a bit of apparent in-arguing, a single one steps forward and calls out. "We are Niddog. We have travelled far to see others who think like us. We wish to learn more about you and your ways."

The Karksh recoil a bit from the static, and Rassh calls angrily to the gods. "You lied. They do not think like us. They are simply noisy life, not thinkers!"

Though some may have wondered before, this likely makes it readily apparent that the two species can NOT in fact understand eachother.
    Last edited by Rogue_Dragon; 2008-06-12 at 02:12 PM.
    Faster than a speeding wombat, more agile than a drunken Giraffe, able to leap off tall buildings in a single bound, it's PANTSMAN!!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Tek, Turn 7.01

Tek is 15 feet tall, Primary Avatar, wears Mask of Benevolence and has Magnifying Glass. He also brought a recently crafted Sphere of Telepathy.

Tek steps in. Inwardly terrified of grand failure, he is glad his face is concealed behind a mask, although his expression most probably is unreadable to mortals anyway, because of his weird looks.

"You are too quick to judge Rassh. They are thinkers, you just can’t understand them. Weren’t there time when one Karksh barely understood another? The Niddog speak their own language and they don’t use Telepathy like you do, they make sounds to form words. I’ve helped you form a single language long ago, I can help you create a new language to speak with Niddog now. Remember how we practiced changing shape."

Tek tells the Niddog. “Karksh can’t make sounds, but they can change shape to express their words. This world is full of different wondrous things, isn’t it? I’ll help you to form a communication with them."

Tek tells both races: "I propose a single Karksh and single Niddog would stand in front of each other. The others will observe them, without causing distractions. I will name a word. Then Karksh would change his shape and all Niddog will remember that it means that word. Niddog would pronounce this word and all Karksh would remember the sound he makes, and remember it means that word. This won’t be easy and fast, but nothing that’s worth having comes by itself. Only patience and hard work pay off in the end. Don't hesitate to ask me if you misunderstood something"

If Niddog and Karksh listen to him, Tek proceeds to teach both some basic words that would form the first communication between races. He advises Karksh on what body expressions to make with particular words, so Niddog would have greater chance of understanding and remembering.
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2008-06-12 at 04:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, First Contact

Ikeklos looks vaguely impressed. It supports Tek in its endeavors to create a common Language.
    Ikeklos has another idea, however. Taking a small group of Karksh comprised of those who are too far back to benefit fully from Tek's lesson, it attempts to find a similarly sized group of Niddog. It explains to the Karksh:
    "What Language-Maker seeks to do is a wise idea. In time, you may learn of it from your fellows. In the intervening time, it may be possible to conduct a cultural exchange... with myself acting as interpreter."
    It explains to the Niddog:
    "Greetings, Song-Singers. I am Ikeklos. I have served as a Truth-Speaker to these Water-Dwellers for much time now. I hope to help your two people communicate, although there may not be a common language between you yet. Deities are gifted, it seems, with the ability to be understood by any they address. I am not certain by which mechanic this functions, but for now, I will use this ability to aid your people, as well as the Water-Dwellers, until a common language may be found."

As promised, Ikeklos acts as an interpreter for the two, communicating directly what the two species says. It, unfortunately, can only do one at a time, and so arranges for only one question be given, and only one answer, at a time. If there is a dispute on answers, it gives each individually, pointing out it as being the opinion of a given individual.

5. - Top - End - #185

Ardannis, First Contact

While Tek and Iklekos manage the interpretation between the main speakers, Ardannis flits back and forth, splashing in the surf, answering questions from the miscellaneous members of each group. Yes, they see without eyes - they can sense life directly. So, they can't see a rock, like you can, buy unlike you, they can see someone hiding in some bushes. [...] No, they can't change their shape at all, but those longer parts are called limbs, and they can manipulate their environment easily with them. Etc, etc.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 7.0, The Karksh

Awlruts

"Fear not Fwush. I would not abandon you." Her words intened to sooth as she moves through the colony towards the center hoping to attract new Karksh to her. "I have done much in my time away from you. Sought much. First I think a question you want to ask but haven't?" She smiled, the smile of a mad woman.

"Yes. Where have you been, Other Awlruts? We know that you were in the not-water. What did you see?"

"A very good question." She turned around in the water letting herself float for a moment. "I was beyond this world. I created a place where all those who follow me go after disapearing. Where they can be life for all eternity in happiness." With her speach done she expects a number of Karksh to want to ask questions, she will allow one or two before she begins to help teach them how to harden their outer membrane.

One of the younger, if not the youngest Karksh out of those listening to her, speaks up. "You made...a place? Outside the whole not-life? How? Is Fip there? Because I know she wanted to know..."

"Yes I did. How is far too complicated to explain to anyone who hasn't done it. Yes, beyond the not-life. I'm not sure if Fip is there, maybe. If she held me close to her heart she could be there. If that is what she wanted." Awlruts goes on to explain that the more they loved her the more easy it was too find her paradise. After she has answered all reasonable questions she being to teach the Karksh how better to harden their outer layer.

First Contact

Tek

The Niddog at first seem to have a hard time remembering the shapes that the Karksh are forming, however after a bit of time one of them brings the Karksh a crude symbol he formed from nearby twigs and grass. The symbol is 'home' and he says the word as he hands it to the Karksh, so that hopefully they may be able to find shapes that are more easily remembered by the the Niddog.

The symbol is given to Rassh, and it seems to sit on him for a short while, before it is given to another. There is a few moments pause, and then Rassh forces his body to take on almost an exact replica of the symbol. The first real breakthrough had been made. After that, teaching them a common language was relatively simple, though the language itself was of course simple as well.

Ikeklos and Ardannis

The small group that followed Ikeklos is filled with questions, and at first the Niddog find it difficult to ask but one, however eventually they take turns asking questions.

The first question comes from one of the females. "How many of you are there?"

"Not many. There is more still-life then there is Karksh here. There are many Karksh, but most of us do not know them. They are in deeper water. And you? Are there many other thinking-lifes in the not-water?"

"There are only 18 here, but many many more back home. We have heard that there are other thinkers as well, but we have not met them yet. What do you eat in the water? All of our food comes from the land, and the water carries away what we leave in it."

"We eat the still-life that exists in the water. We do not eat the fast-life, and we do not eat not-life." Ardannis explains that that means they eat living underwater plants.

"You eat no meat, or...not-life as you call it? That seems strange to us, much of our food is meat. But we eat plants, still life, as well."

"For us we cannot catch the...meat. It is fast and we are not. Some of us once tried the fast-life, so we are told, and did not like it. How is it you are so fast?"

"The Fast-life grows old, or becomes injured, or other predators kills it, then we eat it. You do not have to be fast to get meat, you just have to be able to find it. The Gods say that you cannot see, how do you move around or avoid fast-life if you cannot see?"

"We do see. We see all life. We see you because you are life. And we can feel the not-life. That is how we get around. The Others have helped us, and we are starting to learn to see with Othersight, but we cannot see much right now. What is it like? Living in the not-water? It makes us shrivel there is so little of it. How do you stand it?"

"It is easy for us. We cannot breathe the water. When we go to the Water it fills us, kills us. There is still water here, just not as much, and we drink it. The air feels good though, it carries our songs."

"Songs? We do not understand."

To demonstrate, some of the Niddog of the group start to sing, though the songs are wordless, the tunes they create are low-toned, and likely cary fairly well into the water. "Songs, music, sound which we make because we like it. Do you not have music? How do you express things which you have no words for?"
    Last edited by Jerian_Rumple; 2008-06-13 at 02:51 PM.
    Seek ye not the source of honey, lest ye find it.

-The True Jerian Rumple

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, First contact

Ikeklos stays with the two groups for some time(.3 turn). He acts as a translator, as well as a cultural adviser. He suggests more than just a cultural exchange, but as well an exchange of resources: He sees if there is any flora from the land that the Karksh would like, as well as if the Niddog enjoy the Karksh's plants. He does not do these things itself, however, but rather slides the suggestion in to both parties, to see what they make of it.

In the downtime, Ikeklos still endeavors to enhance the Karksh's ability to see light, and makes regular trips from the meeting place to the Exodus Colony to further their training in such, as well as other elements such as camouflage and body changing. Additionally, he has taken time to speak to the Niddog. He teaches them of the First Great Truth, About how waste will harm, and that waste is better averted if all resources are completely shared within a community. However, he finds that the Niddog already hold this truth to some extent, which pleases Ikeklos. He endeavors to learn as much about them as he can, Resolving that he should meet their people, and see what he can teach them.

After the time mentioned passes, Ikeklos must leave: he had other things he must do.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Turn 7.1

Tek continues to help with communications between Karksh and Niddog. He also watches over the Niddog, who came up with idea to use signs. His initiative clearly pleased Tek, who now considers how to best reward him.

Tek also takes interest when songs become subject of talks. He leave to Niddog general explaination, but steps in if Karksh have any trouble understanding the concept. While Karksh can't make sounds, they should be receptive to the rythmes and structure of poetry.

Tek speaks with Ardannis as he goes to visit the Sume.

Unfortunately my Dominion is rather unsuited to relief operations, at least at this stage of state development. I must remain with Karksh and Niddog to assist them with their communication. Can you help my followers as well? I would truly appreciate this. I know you will help all Sume, but can you mention my name to my followers, so they know I haven’t abandoned them.

9. - Top - End - #189

Ardannis

As with Iklekos and Tek, Ardannis remains to watch First Contact and continues aiding as before. He especially takes note of each race's reactions to the meeting, already plotting out which races should meet next.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 7 Wrap-up

Genesis Colony

Time continues to heal the rifts that the Other involvment in the death of Fasha caused, mostly because they've been more or less left alone and most who remember the death have died themselves. It's beginning to look like the main colony will pull through, and there is talk of following Fip's request and beginning to move, now that there are so many Karksh.

Exodus Colony/First Contact

The First Contact with the Niddog goes well, and the Karksh are satisfied, knowing that there is another thinking species that lives in the not-water. The talks are cut off by the approach of ominous dark clouds on the horizon...

-The True Jerian Rumple

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 8.0-8.1, The Karksh

Exodus Colony

The storm strikes the shoreline, extending out over the sea a little. Wind whips the nearby trees and sand from the beach is blown hard. Waves turn to foam and crash down on the land. Rain pelts down, an ugly rain, filled with dust, probably picked up from whereever it's already been. The Karksh, most of which have retreated back to their colony under the waves, feel slightly stronger tugs but that's about it. The water begins to get a little cloudy from the dirt from the rain, and that's when the Karksh notice something.

"Lifes are falling from the high not-water..."

It's true. Held within the raindrops and dust are tiny specks of life, unable to be spotted except en masse like they are now. More and more of them arrive as the rain continues to fall, but to the Karksh they are simply an idle curiosity. If any Others are present they will ask about them, but not seem concerned.

As the storm continues (Turn 8.1) the Karksh stay relaxed, sending out members to gather food, as has always been done. That is when the trouble starts. The tiny lifes, mere specks, are eating the plants that the Karksh eat. And they're doing it quickly, and replicating like mad. This causes the Karksh great concern, as they watch more and more of their food getting eaten away. They begin asking any others they can for help.

Genesis Colony

Life goes on much as it has for a while, as these Karksh are completely unaware of their kindred's plight. Thhshish and Fwush both Disappear. Fwush is replaced by the young Karksh that Awlruts spoke to not long ago, names Whishh.

-The True Jerian Rumple

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 8.1

Ikeklos appears to the Exodus Colony, as it has so many times before. But there is concern in its purpose.

"I have returned to your people, Water-Dwellers. I have felt your concern. What is the matter?"

Assuming the Karksh relate their troubles, Ikeklos ponders it a moment, and asks to see the problem.

As it is, Ikeklos sees only a few options. One, is simple.

Using its ability to freeze water into ice, Ikeklos chooses a plant. It freezes the water around it, and asks the Karksh to report how the tiny life reacts.

The second one it wants to try, regardless of success of the first.
    "As you are aware, there is more than plants down here, life which you call "fast-life". And yet, not all this life is fast. There is life which moves, and yet not very quickly. Perhaps... Amongst these... We could find another source of food for you. And besides... As I understand, it contains more protein than vegetation. Perhaps the change in diet could be beneficial."

As Ikeklos successfully found life to apply to itself before, it now seeks out these creatures again, but for a different purpose. Oysters, Starfish, mussels, even sponges, and even slightly faster life, like shrimp, or crabs. It tries to find all of these, and see if any of the Karksh enjoy it... or, at least, can tolerate it.

13. - Top - End - #193

Ardannis, 7.99-8.01

The discussions slow to a halt as clouds begin appearing over the treetops, and Ardannis moves into action. I have seen this storm before - it has been traveling across the land for some time now. Karksh, this storm appears to trouble you little, under water as you are. I will take my leave and see the Niddog safely home.

As he moves away with the Niddog, he speaks a little louder, so as to be heard over the gusting wind that heralds the approach of the storm. Niddog, I have seen this storm before, and it is great and will last some time. Traveling through it should be uncomfortable, but not greatly hazardous as long as you are able to find food. The Oque group I spoke to you of does not wish to meet you, and in this storm, meeting another group of beings would be difficult, and they will have other things on their mind.

If they protest greatly, he may be swayed, but he doesn't really think it's a great idea, 'specially in this weather. He will travel with them south for two days, and shows them how to weave basic nets out of vines to catch fish when they can't find anything else. Then, recalling that the Oque will soon need his help as well, he promises to be back if they need him, thinking they will do all right getting home with the skills he has taught them.

Spoiler
    Show
    What is their reaction to that? It'll change how he reacts.
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-06-16 at 08:35 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 8.0, The Niddog (posting for an internet-impared RD

The Niddog are saddened to leave these new thinking creatures, however when Ardannis tells them that danger is imminant, and that it is heading towards their old homes, they quickly agree that it is time to return, and share what they have learned with the rest of the Niddog. The Niddog say their goodbyes to the Karksh, and promise that others like them will return someday, when the area is safer. As they move back towards Niddog lands, they find themselves just ahead of the storm for most of the journey, though the streams are much faster and deeper than they were before, the Niddog have few problems crossing them, and they largely rely on their previous methods of food gathering, rather than trying to learn a new method while moving rapidly overland in the path of the Great Storm.

-The True Jerian Rumple

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 8.1, 8.5, The Karksh

Exodus Colony

The Karksh in the colony continue to be on the verge of panic, even after Ikeklos shows up. When he attempts to freeze the tiny lifes, they slow down, but when the ice melts they speed right back up again. It might just be that more cold is needed, but it is hard to tell.

Turn 8.5, Genesis Colony

Over the edge of the not-life shelter comes a wave of the tiny creatures, those that had followed the fertile path that the other Karksh had followed a long time ago. And it had led them to the main colony. And they began to eat. And eat. And eat. The Karksh in this colony begin crying out in alarm and calling for the Others as well. Confusion abounds, and accusations of blame begin to fly.

-The True Jerian Rumple

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 8.1
    Ikeklos decides to go with kill or cure... Even if it loses this plant, the knowledge gained could help save others.
    It pours on the chill, freezing the plant and the water right around it into a solid block of ice.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 8.1, The Karksh

Ikeklos

The ice doesn't last long, but the water, plant, and tiny lifes all get frozen, and both plant and lifes die, being unused to freezing temperatures. The ice melts away quickly, leaving a lifeless plant and tiny bodies floating away on the current.

-The True Jerian Rumple

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 8.1
    Ikeklos is somewhat... Displeased with the result. But now it knows.
    It takes the plant, shakes it to make sure all the lives are off it, and hands it to the Karksh to be consumed.

Oh, how it wished Earth-Eater were here... But before it panics the Karksh, it had to find an alternative.

Ikeklos tells the Karksh that it will be attempting to supplement their diet. With less explanation than usual, It seeks those critters detailed before, but then explains as outlined in the previous post.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 8.1, The Karksh

Ikeklos

He does indeed manage to catch some fast-life. Unfortunately, most Karksh cannot stand it and recoil from it, and those that do start to consume it become ill and their bodies reject it.

(OOC: Sorry, they're herbivores through and through.)

-The True Jerian Rumple

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 8.1

Most... Distressing. Ikeklos chided itself on this: It should have foreseen something like this, with their overly-specialized diet. It should have tried to prepare them earlier. And now, what could it do? Curing the ill killed the plant. The supply was dwindling, and the Water-Dwellers could not tolerate the living flesh. Ikeklos was faced with a situation it did not know if it could win... Unless...
    Perhaps it was time for a slight trial... by ice.

"Truth seekers. These tidings are troublesome. I may have a solution, however, but I will require some volunteers to tread upon the surface. I will need those who believe themselves most skilled at walking upon its dry land. Who will come with me?"

Before leaving, Ikeklos tries to stock up the Karksh: It freezes plants to rid them of the small life, and feeds them to the Karksh until they have their fill. It instructs them to attempt Tumine's teachings of agriculture under outcroppings, in the hopes that this will protect the crops somewhat. Knowing that the Karksh do not know where these outcroppings are, it attempts to point out a handful.
    Ikeklos' plan is thus: To see if this group of Karksh can emerge from the water and find plants , then return before drying out. It will not put them in undue danger, but it emphasizes the importance of this attempt. From here, it's largely up to the Karksh how well they do.

Many times had Ikeklos heard the prayers of these creatures. Now, for perhaps the first time, a god prayed to a god.
    If only Bile were here...

(Wrap up: gah, where did the time go?
    Ikeklos Stays with the Karksh and tries to alleviate their problems by finding a new food source on land, and then cleansing the infection by starting at the edge of where it's most concentrated and working inwards, freezing as it goes and sending the food back to the Karksh. That which they cannot eat, it finds a nice, cool cave, and places the frozen things of plant in there. If needed, it could even freeze the walls ceiling for a good thickness. Hopefully, with enough ice and freezing, it will make a refrigerator. If the finding of food on land doesn't work, It simply resorts to going further to find food for them, while encouraging Tumine's agriculture.

Ikeklos has to leave the Karksh for a little while at just before 8.3, but promises to return soon.

It does so, returning on 8.45, Where it further assists these Exodus Karksh. When the Crying from the Main colony begins, Ikeklos's response depends. If its stratagems have allowed the Exodus colony to procure a new supply of food (Particularly on the surface) or preserve it in freeze caves long enough for new stuff to grow, then it leaves immediately, carrying a single volunteer Karksh, cleansing and gathering on the path as it goes. When it gets there, it repeats the process without the "gather food on land part", cleansing from outward in, and collecting the proceeds, while making a sizable donation in the form of what it cleansed along the way.

If the Exodus colony cannot sustain itself, Ikeklos stays with these ones until the cries grow stronger(about 8.65) before knowing that it must do something. From then, it spends the rest of the turn traveling from colony to colony, always with a volunteer seeing-life-Karksh, cleansing the microbes and gathering food for the Karksh. It uses these volunteers to set up a degree of communication between the two colonies as well, so that they may both know that the other still exists.)
    Last edited by Altairius; 2008-06-17 at 11:03 AM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 8 Wrap-Up, The Karksh

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry everyone, waited as long as I could.

Exodus Colony

Over time the Karksh begin crawling out of the water and some even manage to make it to the plants, hardening their skin to retain moisture, but few plants are gained. Luckily Ikeklo's efforts and the fact that there really aren't all that many Karksh in the colony mean that even with the plants being eaten there are enough collected to maintain the colony.

Genesis Colony

Not so in the Genesis Colony. They had grown large, and the food left to them just wasn't enough, even with Ikeklos' help. The Karksh were angry and frightened and many began to resent the Others for not coming to their aid, except for one. As the food continued to dissapear, so did Karksh, starving to death. Finally the colony could no longer stand it and almost as a group started desperately looking for food, leaving the valley and spreading out in all directions. Devout followers of a particular Other often stuck together as they began to move out, still hoping their Other would assist them. Some stayed, particularly Tumine's group, hoping she would return and help them grow more food so that they could survive in the valley.

And so did the Genesis colony end, and many tribes were formed. The Awlrutsians stayed in one group, although having lost some of their members to starvation. Some of those that followed Tumine joined up with those still loyal to Sedha, and some loyal to Sedha stayed behind with the Tumenites that stayed. Those who only followed Tek stayed with some unaligned Karksh, as their devotion was more pragmatic than ideological. Many groups consisted of unaligned Karksh, those who had had little faith in the Others and after their lack of help now had none, and only wished to survive. Ikeklos' efforts are appreciated, and he gains some followers, and they go with some unaligned towards the Exodus Colony. The Karksh on the move spread out in almost all directions. Some will die without aid. Some won't.

Final tally-

Awlrutsians/Unaligned (65/15) and Unaligned (65) head southwest.
    Tuminites/Sedhites (with Eye) (15/65) and Unaligned (60) head south.
    Tekians/Unaligned (15/75) and Unaligned (50) headed northeast.
    Ikeklians/Unaligned (20/50) headed southeast.
    Tuminites/Sedhites/Unaligned (60/25/65) stay behind.
    Unaligned, 3 groups (75 each) go northwest.
    Unaligned, 2 groups (60 each) go north.

They will not reach the next hex until turn 9.2, if they continue on their paths. The parasites seem to be spreading out as well, however, continuously eating plants just ahead of the travelling Karksh.

-The True Jerian Rumple

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos was… Concerned about the division of the Karksh. And yet, deep in its icy core, it knew it was for the best. The inertia of such a large group meant that the slightest change would be difficult to respond to. By dividing, such a problem can be solved. But the cost… Ikeklos did not yet know the cost. Perhaps, in time, it would find out.
    It gathered those who would follow it together, to take them to the original Exodus Colony. If it made any difference to any unaligned Karksh, it said it would escort them. Ikeklos doesn't promise anything like "safe passage", for, alone, it isn't certain if it can provide it, but it will do it's best. It would escort them, as it had their trailblazers, to the colony, protecting them on the way, but it had some goodbyes to make. To each of the groups, it wished wise decisions, and promised to contact their favored immortal, and tell them of their plight. Then, it escorted the new Truth-Seekers.

Along the way, Ikeklos has a strategy for dealing with any predators who make an attempt on the Karksh. Using it's newfound increase in speed and style of grabs, it will grab a foe, then freeze the water around it. If this is not enough to stun it for long enough, it will kill it.

Along the way, Ikeklos conducts a quick experiment. It asks a Karksh to touch a plant that has been infested, but not eat it completely. What it is trying to figure out is whether the Karksh can dissolve off a layer of the plant, and thus the tiny-life, while leaving the rest of the plant alive.

When it arrives, Ikeklos does its best to explain the situation to the Truth-Seekers, while encouraging them to increase their somewhat successful forays for Surface food. It spends some time integrating the new Karksh into the Exodus Colony, helping them to acclimate to their new life. It continues to push the agriculture of Tumine, hoping that the Karksh can not only replenish their lost vegetation, but actually protect and direct it this time.
    On Turn 9.45, or up to 9.5, depending on how self-sufficient the colony is, Ikeklos must return to the outer plane. It has some plans to set in motion, hoping to prevent a disaster of such magnitude again. It collects those Truth-Seekers who hold its words most dear, a maximum of about 5% of the population, and begins to explain.
    "Truth-Seekers. Your people have weathered a great calamity, and have done so admirably. The Truths you have learned from myself and others have served you well, and allowed you to survive this disaster... where others did not.
    It is a lesson you have already learned which I teach you now. You know of the Three Great Truths, revealed to your people and passed down. How Waste Will Harm You, That Emotions Must be Mastered, that All Things Come from Other Things. And now, in this time, it is important that I give you another truth. Or, rather, truths.
    The first is an expansion of the Third Great Truth. All things come from other things. This is true, even, of the power of the Deities. My power comes from your people. Your belief, your thoughts, your wishes, your contentment suffuses me with additional power... Power that I have used to its utmost to help your people and others. So, too, is it with the other Deities. I tell you this, for it is the truth. Perhaps, also, it will help to explain future developments.
    The Second thing I wish to teach you, you have already seen within your own lives. Brace yourselves. The Truth I teach you is not pleasant. But it must be know, so that the importance of all other Truths is made clear.
    Know this, the Fourth Great Truth:Nothing is Infinite.
    No materials, no resources, nothing is infinite, is completely without bounds. Everything is limited, in some fashion. There may be a large amount of some things, far more than the largest number of Water-Dwellers you can think of could use in the largest amount of time you can think of. But that amount is not infinite. It is because of this reason that it is so important to preserve, and avoid waste. For things you may not use, that you may not see the consequence of using, may be used by things you use. Be cautious, and make sure that everything you make, everything you use has a purpose, regardless of what that purpose may be.

And now, I must ask something of you. A great many are now among your number, who have not had long to learn of the Truths, of the nature of waste, or who have been long separated from the teachings. They must revealed the knowledge you have learned from us, and brought up to speed. So, too, you must try to learn from them what they have learned. This is why I have called you. You, Truth-Seekers, are the ones who hold me in great esteem. It will lie on you to teach these, and others, of the Truths of all Deities. I will make you my Truth-Speakers, as I did the first Truth-Speaker, Shhhp. Go, amongst your people. Save them from waste, from needless action. Strive, always, to learn and progress, and do not stagnate. Remember me. For now, I must go, and return to the outer plane, so that I may set in motion a plan to avoid such a calamity as you have survived from happening again."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Bugbear in the Playground

Awlruts, 9.10 Awlrustians

Having neglected the call of the Karksh before she was ready, she had a premade excuse made if they questioned her not helping them. This is getting ahead of myself, first she apeared in a subtle way, almost as if she had always been there but had chosen to not be seen. Aiming for the group of Karksh that she felt the greatest amount of worship from she will make her presense known to them, quickly asking them what is happening.
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 9.? and 9.1, The Karksh

Ikeklos

The Karksh are guided to the Exodus Colony without any predator attack, remarkably, but the experiment fails. The Karksh can indeed dissolve the tiny life and the outer layer of plant, but those that do get very sick, and the plant still dies as its protective layer is removed.

Upon arrival at the colony he collects about five Karksh and relates his instructions. Three of them say that they will try, but more importantly for them comes food. Two, however, agree to teach his dogma to all the Karksh, and make sure that they conform to it.

Awlruts

Whishh answers Awlruts as they are leaving the not-life valley.

"Other Awlruts? Fwush was right, you did not abandon us, that you would never abandon your friends! Some of the others were beginning to doubt, that you had deserted us and left us to die, but I didn't! Please, Awlruts, we need your help. All the still-life is being eaten by the little lifes that have come. We have to leave. Please, Other Awlruts, we need your help. You are strong, protect us from the Arkshrash and the Whishhish!"

-The True Jerian Rumple

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 9.45

Ikeklos agrees that food is more important at this stage. It also accepts its two new Truth Speakers, but forewarns them.
    "Seeking unity is a noble effort, but forcing conformity is not. When one is forced to think one way, they lose their ability to create and innovate. Keep important my words and teachings, and profess them to those who do not know or believe them, but know this: A heart hardened against Truth will only harden further if it is pressed upon it. Instead, let it see your actions, your contributions, and those who are capable of accepting the Truth will do so.
    I wish you wise decisions in your time."

With that, it leaves, picking a nearby shoal and demanifesting.

26. - Top - End - #206

Awlruts, 9.10 Awlrustians

Floating along she knew they intended to leave, glad because they weren't going to ask why she hadn't come. So she began, "Of course I would never abandon the Karksh. I see you are leaving the vally. Which way did you intend to go?" Hearing of their intentions to go southwest she looks worried, the charts in the Outer Plane showed that area to be some of the least capable of supporting life, "That would be a bad choice. That area is not suitable to support you. I would suggest northwest, into deeper water. I will lead you and your people to a new vally, I will help make the area a bastion of defense."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turn 9.1, The Karksh

Awlruts

Whishh agrees quickly, and the others follow, feeling heartened by the appearance of Awlruts. They do indeed head northwest, and although some predators are seen off in the distance, none bother the group overmuch and they reach a decently defensible position after a long journey (Turn 9.6).

-The True Jerian Rumple

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Tek, Turn 9.95

Tek arrives, Primary Avatar, 15 feet tall, wearing Mask of Benevolence. He brings Sphere of Telepathy with him.

Turn 9.4

Tek approaches the group of Karksh, where his followers remain.

"Greetings to you. I wish to give you some advice. Will you accept my knowledge?"

If Karksh agree, Tek proceeds:

"You have three strengths: Telepathy, ability to change shape and your Intelligence. You are good at them, so you should try to better them.

Your telepathy can become very useful, if you manage to increase its range or find a way to project your thoughts into minds of other life. I’ll bring you Sphere of Telepathy to train this skill.

How “flat” can you make yourself? Can you “squeeze” into tight places? You can try hiding by staying flat on the ocean’s floor or hiding in the holes and tight places.

You can try using your intelligence to determine where there is food and how to avoid predators. You must seek patterns to events. I’ll teach you skills that can be useful for this.
    "

If Karksh agree, Tek teaches them how to count and keep time.

Turn 9.9

Tek returns to the Karksh bringing Sphere of Telepathy with him.

Greetings. I bring you an artefact that can be useful for training your telepathy skills.” Tek leaves Sphere of Telepathy near Karksh.
    Last edited by Thelonius; 2008-06-20 at 12:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

Awlruts, 9.60 Awlrustians

"This is your new home!" She anounces when they finally reach the vally. She will then begin to wander the new vally inspecting it and trying to see if there is anything she could do later to improve it for the Karksh. With her final inspection and the Karksh apearing the settle in, "I will return, but in the time between then and now, I encourage you to develop your abillity to kill fast-life. No better defense then a good offense." with her speach done, Awlruts will begin her demanifestation.
    Last edited by Valgunn; 2008-06-20 at 12:47 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ikeklos, Turn 10.0
    (I know that sorting this one out may take some time, so I'll try to make it simple.)

Ikeklos returns to the Karksh, bearing a gift. As they have had troubles recently with food supply, he has created the Ice Box. This simple, but largish, container preserves food placed within it with an icy chill. It takes some time to explain to the Karksh how it works, and how best to use it. It attempts to find a convenient, nearby cave or outcropping to set it up in, so that it will not be prone to unnecessary danger. In addition, as part of its previous successes with identifying non-living things among the Karksh, it fosters a number of filter feeders and other creatures who do not move much to gather upon it. It teaches them to store in times of plenty, so that in lean times they may have it available.

Ikeklos further encourages their forays onto the surface, their light-sight, etc. while helping them in their daily endeavors.

Turn 10.25
    Ikeklos must leave the Karksh: There is much to do, and hopefully they are now no longer in such dire need of his help. It instructs its Truth-Bearers that, beyond bearing the truth, they will need to teach it to others of similar strength in belief, so that the knowledge is not lost. It suggests they use the Place where he has put the Artifact, as it will act as a tangible element of its help to the Karksh, as well as providing a place of community.