New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Raiser's Rambunctiously Rambling Random Banter #98

Thanks for explaining. I was always poor at maths: I tend to have issues with holding information in my mind while I'm doing other things with it, and I can't remember any of the more complex equations for the more complicated areas of maths. On the bright side, I got a C at GCSE level.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #752
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Player_Zero View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Solve each of these, giving the real values of x:
    √(3x2+1) +√x -2x -1 =0
    √(3x2+1) -2√x +x -1 =0
    √(3x2+1) -2√x -x +1 =0
    Also, not that anyone asked but since it makes me feel smart, here's the solution:

Spoiler
    Show
    √(3x2+1) +√x -2x -1 =0
    √(3x2+1) +√x = 2x +1
    (√(3x2+1) +√x)2 = (2x+1)2
    (3x2+1) + x + 2√(3x3+x) = 4x2+4x+1
    2√(3x3+x) = x2 +3x
    4(3x3+x) = x4 +6x3 +9x2
    0 = x4 -6x3+9x2 -4x
    0 = x(x-1)2(x-4)
    => x=0,1,4

This is the equation you get for all three of the initial equations. You have to check each of the solutions for x in the first equation in order to verify that the solutions haven't been added when you squared both sides of the equation. It turns out x=4 doesn't work for the second one and x=0 doesn't work for the last one.

Isn't that neat?

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, not that anyone asked but since it makes me feel smart, here's the solution:

Spoiler
    Show
    √(3x2+1) +√x -2x -1 =0
    √(3x2+1) +√x = 2x +1
    (√(3x2+1) +√x)2 = (2x+1)2
    (3x2+1) + x + 2√(3x3+x) = 4x2+4x+1
    2√(3x3+x) = x2 +3x
    4(3x3+x) = x4 +6x3 +9x2
    0 = x4 -6x3+9x2 -4x
    0 = x(x-1)2(x-4)
    => x=0,1,4

This is the equation you get for all three of the initial equations. You have to check each of the solutions for x in the first equation in order to verify that the solutions haven't been added when you squared both sides of the equation. It turns out x=4 doesn't work for the second one and x=0 doesn't work for the last one.

Isn't that neat?
    *Clap clap clap.*
    This avatar by Phase.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by randman22222 View Post
    *Clap clap clap.*

Thank you, thank you. But please hold your appluase until the end.

But to be fair I chose the easiest question I've found on a STEP paper yet.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I'm guessing that Player_Zero is prepared to sabotage his Chemistry A-level because:

a) he's secure enough in his mathematical knowledge (and ability to do advanced calculations in his head) that he's certain he'll get a university place to do maths.

And/or

b) never bothered to do any work in Chemistry anyway...and now it's too late. (It's always easier to fail something because you tried to fail it than to fail something because you deserved to fail.)

6. - Top - End - #756
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dish View Post
    So I'm guessing that Player_Zero is prepared to sabotage his Chemistry A-level because:

a) he's secure enough in his mathematical knowledge (and ability to do advanced calculations in his head) that he's certain he'll get a university place to do maths.

And/or

b) never bothered to do any work in Chemistry anyway...and now it's too late. (It's always easier to fail something because you tried to fail it than to fail something because you deserved to fail.)
    a) is incorrect. While I know that I'm good at maths unless I get a B in physics I still can't go to Uni. Physics isn't quite as easy for me as maths; while i understand the subject and the material I won't be able to remember certain key points and I won't have enough confidence to know that my answers are correct.

b) is also incorrect, because I did try at chemistry, it's just that I gave up at the end when they asked me to memorise a load of bull about reagents for organic reactions and because I'm awful at remembering things. I deserved to fail because I could never have gotten myself to learn them. And yes, it was easier to try to fail, that way i won't be disappointed when it turns out that I did.

So, that's the story of my acedemic career. How's everyone else today?

7. - Top - End - #757

I missed out on my place at London University by one point (got a C in A-level Chemistry instead of a B). Thought the world had ended. Then discovered that marvellous thing called clearing. Applied. Accepted by Edinburgh University (to study a different subject, but that doesn't matter because it was really easy to apply to change courses at Edinburgh). Life went on - wonderfully.

Just saying.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Banned

The mathematics course course which I applied for to the universities I applied to were mostly applied to by around 6-12 applicants per place... Or in one case about 30. I most likely won't be able to go through clearing for the universities to which I applied.

Besides, I'm a horrible cynic, apparently. And also, I wanted to go to Warwick.

More also, you are better are chemistry than me, if that means anything to ya'.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2008-06-14 at 09:01 AM.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ettin in the Playground

And also, I wanted to go to Warwick.
    I uh... wouldn't if I were you.
    The Mathematics course over there; not good.
    Well, good, very good apparantly, but most the teachers/lecturers/whatevers are kinda... arsey.
    Not-nice.
    That is what they are.

(Sister's boyfriend is up there doing a Computing degree, and does bits of maths for it.)
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

10. - Top - End - #760
    Banned

I'm kinda' arsey myself, I'm sure we'll get along great.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Mortal man was not meant to understand the machinations of my mind. It would drive him insane to glimpse the merest hint of a thought of a memory of my intellect.
    Cop out! Cop out LIEK Lovecraft!

Although, given that you are a mathematics type and an Englishman, your above statement is probably entirely true.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post
    In other news, I has a blog. I tried making the spoiler in my signature a link to it. Will see how it works out.
    Still double opening when you click the spoiler bar.

You may want to warn people about the auto-forward link to your blog in your sig. It's the kind of cheap stunt that prompted the creation of pop-up blockers, Adblock, Flashblock (both for Firefox - you might have heard of it ), and that gets people put on ignore/block sender lists.

Eggy no like.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2008-06-14 at 09:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #762

I most likely won't be able to go through clearing for the universities to which I applied.
    There are plenty of other universities to choose from. They might not have the same reputation, but you'd be amazed at how good they can still be. You can learn stuff and have fun at the same time!

Besides, I'm a horrible cynic, apparently.
    Is this the word you were looking for? Cos 'pessimist' would also fit. You could at least wait until the results are out before deciding that you can't go to university EVAR.

And also, I wanted to go to Warwick.
    If this is the case, then it is always perfectly possible to re-do your upper sixth. If your determination to achieve your dreams is stronger than your wounded pride this is the best mode of action.

More also, you are better are chemistry than me, if that means anything to ya'.
    But I am much, much, much worse at maths.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dish View Post
    Is this the word you were looking for? Cos 'pessimist' would also fit. You could at least wait until the results are out before deciding that you can't go to university EVAR.
    If I don't perceive the worst possible scenario to be the most likely then in the event that such an event happens I would be hurt more severely. By cloistering myself into a bubble of pessimism I can prevent myself from ever expecting any sort of positive achievement and so won't be crushed when it turns out that I'm not good enough.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Firbolg in the Playground

Five A-Levels are not that hard to do. And when the year starts properly in Ssptember in stead of just being a mid-way month I'm thinking about taking definitely Ancient Greek (if it's on) and possibly Japanese as well. Both options can do at least a GCSE in it.

@Jib: was the weather really that bad? Or was it the ground? Or maybe Cat-Muffins have a natural affinity for sleeping in cars like that.

Y'know, I was fiddling around with a pen today. Thought it's run out of ink or something. Turns out it wasn't. Proof of that? My right leg is besmeared in black-fading-to-deep-purple ink as is my right hand. Biro ink really tastes awful no matter what you say.
    Also; I'm so glad I filched the Buffy boxsets. On the second series now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

I was initially going to do 5 A Levels, but I was made to drop one (I can't remember what I wanted to do, but I think it may have been something to do with economics or statistics).
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #766
    Banned

Ink tastes rather sweet at first and then horribly bitter... And you get that nasty taste in the back of your mouth, too.

Graphite tastes better.

*Continues chewing on his tube of toothpaste.*
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2008-06-14 at 02:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #767

I did three A levels and General Studies. All for rather poor results. That's what apathy, procrastination and the internet will do for you kids.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Unit 3 chemistry is nasty, even at AS. Memorising is no fun. My English teacher made my try and memorise a Wordsworth poem six times. It still didn't learn me. So I got punished. The Latin and Greek GCSE courses are a lot like that. It's the only way to do the set texts. Bah!

In other news I'm terrible at shopping. I was supposed to buy a new shirt. Instead I ended up with a book on string theory and the long overdue purchase of Making Money. Whooo!

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    @Jib: was the weather really that bad? Or was it the ground? Or maybe Cat-Muffins have a natural affinity for sleeping in cars like that.
    Oh no, the weather was fine. I just had no idea where I was sleeping, found out the car was empty, so kipped out.
    People mentioned that free tent in the morning and then realised that I was the only person not shivering, and decided that, yes, the Cat-Muffin Be Clever.

Also; I'm so glad I filched the Buffy boxsets. On the second series now.
    You got the boxsets?
    Hot damn, I'm jealous. I reeeeally want the whole show, but I just can't afford it.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

20. - Top - End - #770

The Latin and Greek GCSE courses are a lot like that. It's the only way to do the set texts. Bah!

In other news I'm terrible at shopping. I was supposed to buy a new shirt. Instead I ended up with a book on string theory and the long overdue purchase of Making Money. Whooo!

Nevertheless, I still want to do them. And have a fairly good memory.
    On your other news: who cares about clothing? They can last years (all my jeans are over ten years old (parents and cousins), many of my jumpers are over five years old (hand me downs and cousins again) and you get the picture. My favourite jacket's a good example: about ten years ago my dad had lost his coat (left it at the pub) and had noticed this other jacket he'd seen in the pub for about three weeks. It was raining so Dad asked the barman if he could keep it. He said yes. So the jacket is at least third-hand and of unknown age as it was already worn out when he took it home with him.
    Books are always good. But how much does one single shirt cost if you can buy two books (very good choices too by the way) with your clothes money? I'd suggest charity shops. Cheap, good clothes and your leftover money can be used to by books.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

21. - Top - End - #771
    Banned

I like to advertise my nerdiness and insanity through the mediocre medium of clothing. CERN T-Shirts, pirate costume, waistcoat, etc.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground

I hate clothes shopping as well. I can't think of anything more boring then trying to find clothes I like which fit which are a descent price (shoe shopping tends to be even worse due to how often I need to buy them: 1 pair will typically last me about 4 months). It's a shame that I haven't figured out how to grow yself a fur coat yet (it would save me a lot of ime and money. And I think it would suit me).
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

Well...I've got *counts* two shirts that aren't for a suit. Or threadbare and covered in brine and river muck. So I kinda need a new shirt. Or two. Ooh! I wanna CERN t-shirt. I used to have a Jodrell Bank shirt, but I got too big for it.

And no, I spent my own book vouchers on the books. No philandering prodigal son am I! I just got... distracted. By The Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic graphic novel. And quantum books. And Richard Dawkins. Shhh. >.> <.<

24. - Top - End - #774
    Banned

As far as I know you can only get them if you go to Switzerland, unfortunately...

Did you see the The Colour Of Magic TV dealie on Sky? I didn't think it was as good as the The Hogfather one...

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

I have two pairs of shoes : School and Other (both are pretty scruffy by now). One shirt (black) that is not for school, which is being worn now.

I havent been clothes shopping in ages. >.>
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, hopefully I shall be going to CERN next year. *taps nose. No wait. Wood. Touch wood*

Nope, I missed the Colour of Magic one. And I haven't caught it on DVD yet. I loved the Hogfather though. I only disliked the casting for Nobby Nobbs. I'm a little skeptical about having David Jason (again) as Rincewind though.

And just in from the news room: Whoo! Melancholy! Still love the song and band.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

They need the big names to pull in audiences (though if the world was a better place, the mere MENTION of pratchett should draw in a thronging mass of milions. /end shameless fanboyism), and he just happens to be avaiable. i agree he is entirely mis-cast, though.
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ettin in the Playground

*big sigh, luxurious stretch*

I just took my ACT - the LAST BIG FOUR HOUR TEST I EVER TAKE!!

Unless I decide to go to grad school and take the GREs. Let's not think about that just yet, okay? I'm too busy being happy about this.

Seriously though, my spring has been FULL of tests. Fall too I guess. I took the PSAT and the SAT and the CAT (California Achievement Test, even though I don't live in California...and I only missed ONE QUESTION on the whole thing! Go me!) and the AP calc and physics and now the ACT. And now I'm DONE.

29. - Top - End - #779

While I have a lot of shirts/tops I don't really wear them all. I wear maybe six out of them all. Then again, what kind of sane Curly would I be if I wore a midriff baring top (don't ask why I have them) or, even worse, a pink top. My favourite shirts are my old white scool shirts, my black short-sleeve shirt, my t-shirts and that's pretty much it.
    Clothes shopping is something I find moronic and frankly intimidating.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

30. - Top - End - #780
    Barbarian in the Playground

I love shopping I absolutely love it. Not in a 6 hour spree but in a going into a shop and finding something you adore cannot get much better than that.

I wear all my clothes any I don't wear for over 6 months i throw away/give to charity.
    *runs off and hides*

My One And Only Trophy