New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remnants IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Remnants IC

You’ve been walking for far too long. The woodland road stretches out before and behind you, unmarked by any tracks except for your own. There were regular, marching footsteps in the dirt until a few miles back, but they disappeared in a mess of scuffed earth and bloodstains. You were closer to Schuttburg than anywhere else, but the journey is making you more nervous with every second it takes. The raw, pervading heat doesn’t help, and you sweat and grow exhausted quickly.

Walking in tight formation, you look around into the forest depths. The trees are densely clumped and block your view, their upper branches silhouetted against the darkening sky. Summer’s end is fast approaching, and one moon lingers fat while the other is half-imprinted in the air above. You can hear the rushing of the river off to the right, but you can’t make out exactly where amidst the gloom of the woods.

Illiiya and Urgrim:
    Spoiler
    Show

You see clearly into the woods, until the clustered trees grow too thick. A few birds fly from branch to branch, but other than these nothing moves. The river is very close, perhaps twenty-five feet away from the edge of the road.

A noise sounds throughout the forest. Something is running towards you, from the left. You can hear the thuds and cracking of twigs and leaves growing louder as it approaches. The trollslayer dejectedly says “It’s just a man” moments before he bursts through the trees in front of you. His uniform is splattered with splays of blood and torn throughout from branches and brambles. He grips a halberd in both hands, has a shield on his back and a sword hanging loosely at his waist. All of them have patently seen recent use. He looks at you with a puzzled expression, then sinks to the ground on his knees, holding himself up with the butt of his polearm.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Remnants IC

"Get up, ya lazy sod. Tell us wat ya wer' runnin' from, an' where it be, so I kin go kill't."

"And yew," Urgim said, turning to the Bretonnian who first led him here. "Yew said ther'd be ale an' monster's her', and so far I've got neither. Oi'm startin' ta think this ain't what ye said it'd be."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Felix is nervous from knowing that fighting has happened recently near their current position. When the bloody man bursts from the woods, he quickly identifies him by his imperial uniform and points his crossbow away from the armed man and towards where he came instead.

If an imperial soldier is here, it must be that a threat required the army and we are in real trouble if we get caught into this. I'm not following a troll slayer to his death.

I wouldn't go after what an imperial army can't beat, Urgrim. Turning to the wounded man, Are you being pursued?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Andrec had been reading his book whilst walking... a surprising feat indeed considering the rough road...

Then he heard the man's movements and liften his eyes over his book. When the poor sod bursts from the treeline, Andrec puts his book away, a concerned look on his face. I don't know about the rest of you... but I'm no healer. It might be kind, however... to patch the poor soul up, at least help him up, before we start interrogating him."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Magnus was still in something of a daze. With the halberd fixed in the ground before him, he pulled himself.

"I'm not sure if I've gotten away from them...been tryin' to get clear fer a few hours. Beastmen. A lot of 'em," he panted. "Which way's Schüttburg? We..." He paused to cough, wiping spittle from his mouth. "...we were heading there to reinforce the garrison, but were ambushed."

Keeping one hand on the halberd, he held out the other. "Magnus Briggs."
    Last edited by Jonathan327; 2008-05-30 at 01:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Felix is still holding his crossbow and on the lookout, now expecting beastmen. Damn bull heads won't get a piece of me.

Without taking his hands off his weapon of choice, Glad to meet you, name's Felix, although this is no time for presentations.

Will you have trouble walking or do you need help? We can also carry some of your equipment if you need it. We must reach the safety of the city at once.
    Last edited by gobogen; 2008-05-30 at 02:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

PaladinGuy

He shook his head. "No, I'm fine. Just haven't had a chance to really catch my breath. Lead the way."
    "Question not the ways of the script, there's always a bigger fish."
    STR 10, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 13, WIS 13, CHA 14
    Lawful Good Human Fighter

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Andric moves towards the man... eying his wounds. "You mentioned beastmen... how close are they? Also... did anyone else survive the ambush... or just you." He takes another step towards the soldier. "Are you fit enough to keep moving... because I think it would be wise if we were to move away from here quickly. It might not be a good idea to stick to the road... as the blasted beastmen would likely see us a mile away. However... going off the road, into the forest... might also be a bad idea... as there could be more of the beasts and we could get lost..."

He takes a step back, and a look of consternation crosses his face. He starts to wag his finger in front of his face, muttering things. He seems to be thinking, perhaps weighing the options.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

"O' course, ya wouldn't, manling. An' tha's why ya will nevah git a honourable death. No, where wer' these beasts of chaos?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Andric turns to the dwarf with a rather annoyed look on his face. "My good sir dwarf... there is no such thing as an honorable death. Either you die... or you don't. Being able to wield a large implement and dying at the hands of another who can wield a large implement is not honorable... simply brutish. If you wish to die... dwarf... then I suggest you get on with it quickly so as to spare the rest of us your increasing stupidity."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Manling? Isn't that another word for dwarf? And no I'm not really looking for death any time soon, and neither should you.

Come on.

Felix starts walking towards the city, hoping the rest of the group follows.
    Last edited by gobogen; 2008-05-30 at 09:38 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

"Cowards! Tha lot o' ya! We'll jus' stay 'ere an' kill them all, then yew'll 'ave nothin' ta fight!" Urgrim yells toward the back of the group, as they head towards town. Turning around, he looks for Quentin.

"Hey, whar'd ya go?" Turning to see the group, he spots Quentin amidst them.

"By Grimnir's beard, Oi nev'r should'a swore a blood oath with a human." Urgrim mumbles, as he runs to catch up to the group.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya

Illiiya stayed nervously quiet for most of the trip, speaking little unless spoken to herself. Most of her new companions seemed the quieter type... though she occasionally caught the bookish human glancing in her direction. Once the trail grew more ominous, she stuck close to Felix, and eyed the area around them warily.

As the bloodied man rushed towards them, Illiiya stood on nervous guard, looking about for threats once she saw that the man seemed like just a wounded soldier. He spoke of slaughter and beastmen... Chaos... The town they headed to and reinforcements.

Burning... fire.... death... the screech of crows overhead... Even the scavengers were too afraid of what lie below for their hunger to carry them to the massacre below. She felt a cold, creeping darkness in the back of her head, and for a moment... felt as if something lurked there.. simply waiting for her to turn and witness it in all of it's horrid glory, before it was able to rip her apart and feast on her remains.

And then it was gone... and she realized she had taken Felix' hand, and was squeezing it tightly.

Ah... sorry. She mumbled softly to him, and released her grip, following her companions as they moved on more swiftly to Schuttburg.

This time she moved just as warily as before... keeping slight distance between herself and the bloody newcomer. Unlike before however... this time, she could not bring herself to look behind her.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Andric followed his strange companions... and the bloodied soldier.

That was fast... he pops out of nowhere and suddenly hes part of the group? I'm new to this whole thing but even I know not to trust strangers. Though i guess e were all strangers to each other just a little while back...

He finds his gaze drifting towards Illiiya. He couldn't help it... she was just so intriguing... We're both mages... maybe I can convince her to talk with me alone... maybe then I can find out where she came from...

He noticed her tense, and was about to offer his concern when he noticed her grab Felix's hand. Demon's Blood! Dammnit! I'll have to get Felix away from her... or else she'll just keep turning to him for support. Dammnit!

He averted his gaze, scowling. His cheeks were red with frustration. Why does this bother me so much? Surely my interest in her is only academic. She is an unknown in the equation... oh...damn...

Letting his anger creep into his voice, Andric snapped "Do you plan on picking up every bloody sod we meet or is this an exception?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Felix looked at Illiiya as she apologized to him, and offered for only answer a slight smile before moving on, with a serious look on his face. Felix felt like he had to take things into his own hands. He was more of a loner usually, but now a group had formed and it seemed like they might need his leadership to survive, at least while they were in the wild.

What a strange bunch we are. The dwarf looks like a warrior who can stand his own, but he is also bloodthirsty like none other. The human scholar (or whatever he is) has the nose in his books all the time - he seems pretty worthless and I don't really trust him. Illiiya needs my protection and I want to keep her close to me. And now who knows if this soldier is ever going to find his regiment again, better keep him with us for now.

Andric's question interrupted Felix's thoughts and confirmed his impression that people considered him the decision-maker already. He thought he noticed frustration in Andric's voice though, and wasn't sure what to make of it.

We're just helping him reach the city and join back with his regiment. You got a problem with that?

As an afterthought he added, turning to Magnus, whom he just now suspected of maybe being a deserter, Unless there is a reason why you wouldn't exactly want to do that?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

"Indeed I do have a problem with that. Let's just consider the overall safety for both us and the citizens of any town we might be headed to. This man has a herd of beastmen out for his blood. Is anyobdy but me worried that in taking him in, we might be leading these creatures to any town we might visit? Only me and Iliiya seem to have any semblance of intelligence in this group, and since she's much too quiet, I feel I must alert you to the stupidity of taking this man in, at least until we know wether or not he's being followed."

He scowls at Felix... a look of anger evident on his face. "Last time I checked, only the dwarf intends on getting himself killed. I assume the rest of use would like to keep our heads upon our shoulders for the time being."
    Last edited by Paper_Bard; 2008-06-03 at 02:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

The kid talks way too much... What a pain in the neck.

Felix sighs and answers in a lower voice. You might be smart and know how to read, but you sure lack the wisdom of an outdoors man like me. First, consider that there are beastmen in the area on the lookout. Whether they find him or us or a whole village doesn't matter to them, they'll just attack on sight. Better all hang together, thus having a better chance of survival if we have to fight. Having a soldier with us can sure help more than having a frail man like you. Second, if he's being followed then his tracks lead to our own tracks, and as the larger group we'll be the ones being followed anyway. Third, you talk way too much. The more you talk the more likely we are heard by them.

Now shut up until we reach the city if you care about your safety so much.
    Last edited by gobogen; 2008-06-03 at 03:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya

I-I don't have a problem helping him... Illiiya said hesitantly, keeping by Felix's side like a security blanket she couldn't bear to be rid of, If there are beastmen about.... won't they.... go for the town s-soon enough anyway? Unless... there's not enough of t-them... then town is the safest place to be.

The slender elven woman looked over to Marcus, the newcomer to their band. He looked like he knew how to fight... and if he should try to turn on them, they outnumbered him greatly. That alone made her feel slightly better.

I f-feel safer knowing that there's... more people with us who c-can fight.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Andric sighed. I guess they won`t respect me until I show them I`m not jsut a scholar... oh well...

He took a few seconds to calm down before moving up to the other side of Felix.
    He wispered into his ear and then retreated back to his previous position near the rear of the group... a bemused grin on his face.

Spoiler
    Show
    A wise man such as yourself should know that looks can be deceiving. I assure you my good man, when battle is upon us, you shall see my... skills. Anyway... I apologize for my outbursts, I`m just feeling a little stressed right now...
    Last edited by Paper_Bard; 2008-06-03 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Sorry, keyboard mapping was screwed up. Got Vista, leave me alone.

20. - Top - End - #20

PaladinGuy

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any chance for listen checks on the whisper?

IC:

As they made their way toward the town, Magnus tried to get a grip on the group about him.

Dwarf with either more courage than brains, or a death wish. Straightforward enough. The man with the crossbow had called him Urgrim.

Felix, the rugged man with the bear skin seemed clear and competent. Useful, that one.

The skittish elf seemed to be hiding behind Felix. Hopefully she wouldn't slow him down.

As he reached the man with the book in his mental inventory, he was interrupted:

"Do you plan on picking up every bloody sod we meet or is this an exception?"

An idiot, great. Sigmar stay my hand!

Before he could reply, the rest of the group joined in. He'd wait.

While Felix included him by asking whether he actually wanted to rejoin his unit--No doubt wondering if I'm lying and just deserted, Magnus thought--they mostly ignored him and continued their debate.

It mostly reinforced his impressions of them. Felix--full of common sense, Elf--skittish, Scholar-- imbecile. Dwarf--likely aloof or deliberately ignoring the issue.

Magnus shrugged. So long's I get to the town, I'm good.

Silence. Time to weigh in. "I guess I'll say my part: we're all going to the same place, and there's beastmen about. If you don't want my help, so be it. If you want me gone, change your pace--I'm heading to Schüttburg to fulfill my orders: whether you're near me on the road or not is no concern of mine. That said, there's much more safety in numbers. I'll see you on to the town, if ye'd like...through whatever obstacles arise. It's up to you."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Andric sighs, remembering that the man he had been talking rude about had been there all along.

He turned back to the man, an ashamed look on his face. "Look... I'm really sorry about what I said... it sounds like you've been to the chaos wastes and back... and I apologize for being so ignorant. I apologize at my rude behavior, I guess I'm just not used to being around people much... the academy students weren't very social."

His eyes grew wide as he said the last bit, ad his hand went to his mouth. Embarressed, he turned back, looking at the ground as he walked. Dammnit man! Just shut that flying trap of yours, do you want everyone to know you're a magiker? Shut up you idiot!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya

Illiiya smiled faintly as they moved. The bookish human man seemed more like someone who was not used to dealing with people more than someone likely to hurt anyone. She was far more concerned about the dwarf. He seemed violent and eager to rush towards a fight. Also, something about his looks... the bizarre hair, the tattoos... he didn't look right. From what little she knew of dwarves, she figured even they might consider him a touch... mad.

"I-it's ok..." She'll say softly, looking to Andric. Even if the rest of her group didn't care, she felt she should let him know that the gesture of peace did not go unnoticed.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyAngel View Post
    Illiiya

"I-it's ok..." She'll say softly, looking to Andric. Even if the rest of her group didn't care, she felt she should let him know that the gesture of peace did not go unnoticed.
    Andric grinned back at Illiiya, running his hands through his dirty blonde hair. He let in a sharp intake of breath, and his cheeks grew red. "Thankyou for your kindness... Miss Illiiya. He seemed to stress the miss, briefly looking Felix's way. "But my behaviour was really quite unnacceptable. I would be most angered if I was wounded and put my trust and faith in the kindness of strangers, only to have one such person talk rudely of me as if I wasn't there."

He turned to the soldier. "You've been through a lot. If there is any way I can make things easier for you, do not hesitate to ask. Do not take this the wrong way... I do not wish to coddle a grown man, but I would hope that you would not let my previous actions to ruin a possible civality between you and I."

24. - Top - End - #24

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    You can take a challenging perception test or average lip reading test to have heard the whisper.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

"Enough wit' yer childish arguin'. No' tell me, manling, were thar any bigg'uns wit' tha beasts?"

26. - Top - End - #26

The sky darkens as you progress along the forest road, always watchful for signs of beastmen or other attackers. Overhead, Morrslieb shines brighter with the approach of night, and casts an eerie glow over the forest terrain. Other than the normal sounds of birds and beasts, the woods are silent around you.

After another hour of walking, the path splits into two. A smaller, well-maintained road leads off to the right, weaving its way through the trees. You can still hear the churning of the river from this direction. The larger track still leads straight onward, but narrows from this point on.

Everyone:
    Spoiler
    Show

Make a perception test. If you can see in the dark, make two. The first test is based on hearing, the second on sight.
    Last edited by Myshlaevsky; 2008-06-05 at 07:21 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

PaladinGuy

Perception Check (37 (57 if hearing's involved.))
    Spoiler
    Show

(d100)[88]
    "Question not the ways of the script, there's always a bigger fish."
    STR 10, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 13, WIS 13, CHA 14
    Lawful Good Human Fighter

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Perception Check (40)
    Spoiler