New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Mr. Lucas' next mistake?

I looked around, but didn't find a thread for this so I decided to post one. If you have no clue what I'm talking about go here

Thoughts, opinions?
    Last edited by FoeHammer; 2008-06-01 at 06:46 PM. Reason: capatilization
    Awesome Avatar by Dispozition

Deranged psychopath of the fan club

With a fond Farewell…
    Spoiler
    Show

SG-1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Mr. Lucas' next mistake?

Ugh. Anything George Lucas has put out since Return of the Jedi has been horrifying (okay, granted, I haven't seen the new Indiana Jones movie yet. But I am not hopeful).
    Easily distracted in the playgr- ooh, bunny.

Championing all things sneaky, stabby, and dreadlocked since 2007.

(on the lookout for a good avvie. If you make custom avatars, PM me)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I still retain hope for the live action series.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't know it looks ok, maybe a bit to cartoonish.
    Looking at this video, I think its pretty good.
    Last edited by Rayzin; 2008-06-01 at 07:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Why must everyone decide they hate his movies before they see them. After The Phantom Menace, people go into his movies expecting to hate them, and after they see it for the sixth time they tell themselves they are right. Apparently the only good thing he has ever made was the Empire Strikes Back. Not the one he rereleased with added special effects, but just the theatrical release from 1980.
    "A grumpy German is a Sauerkraut"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I watched the trailer that Rayzin linked and I thought that it looked pretty cool. It looks kind of like the art style of the Clone Wars cartoons was adapted into 3D.

Honestly, even if it turns out to be terrible I'll probably end up watching it anyway.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I loved the prequels as much as the original trilogy. And I intend to give this new series a fair chance.
    "Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily!"

Self-proclaimed scaly minion of the Nameless Cleric fan club.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

It does look interesting, I'll have to see how it goes. It also does look rather cartoony...eh, I don't like seeing Star Wars really cartoony...

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaHippy View Post
    Ugh. Anything George Lucas has put out since Return of the Jedi has been horrifying (okay, granted, I haven't seen the new Indiana Jones movie yet. But I am not hopeful).
    Saw Indiana Jones today. Lucas wrote the story but didn't direct it or write the script (unlike in the three new Star Wars in which he did both). It's an excellent movie.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scaly View Post
    I loved the prequels as much as the original trilogy. And I intend to give this new series a fair chance.
    I second this motion.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRoeSlade View Post
    Saw Indiana Jones today. Lucas wrote the story but didn't direct it or write the script (unlike in the three new Star Wars in which he did both). It's an excellent movie.
    'Wrote the story' is a gross overstatement, something for which I am very thankful.
    Although I'm pretty sure I can spot a few points where his parts have stayed in,
    Spoiler
    Show
    e.g. the CG alien at the end.
    Thanks to Andraste for the Void avatar.
    My surviving Exalted homebrew can be found here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bookworm
    Alright. Just for that, if we both make it into the game, the first test target for Total Annihilation whenever I get Solar sorcery is going to be you.

12. - Top - End - #12

I'm a fan of 3D...not so much the odd character designs, but I can live with it. So, we get the Hutt Cartel in on this business, eh? I doubt they will, but it would be nice to see a look at Boorka the Hutt's business during the Second Battle of Tatooine, as well as what the t'landa Til and Ylesia were like during the Clone Wars. Then again, it is doubtful Lucas would re-adopt the "red-headed stepchild canon" pieces for a cartoon, but I can have hope, right?
    LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Um, am I confused or wasn't there already a (quite good) animated series?

I know there was because in it Gervous was a real villain, not a crippled moron.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post

I know there was because in it Gervous was a real villain, not a crippled moron.
    Seconded, also, who at Lucas Arts decided that the galaxy needed more species that evolved droopy head tentacles for no readily apparent reason?
    xkcd-atar by happyturtle
    Awesome sigitars by Abardam and Mysticaloctopus
    ----
    Spoiler
    Show

The collaborative homebrew setting I'm working on: Nutopia

15. - Top - End - #15

NecromancerGuy

Seems the Clone Wars cartoon was a big enough hit for Lucas to revamp it and turn it into a full-flegded cinematic release. For what its worth, so far I think it looks pretty decent, and usually I'm very sceptical about these things.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, and once again the new Indy sucked.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by EvilDMMk3 View Post

You aren't confused. There was a Clone Wars series that introduced planets such as Hypori to the screen, had the epicness leading up to Episode III, and the explanation for why Grievous was a hacking chest-dented idiot in the movie rather than a competent melee fighter.

This is YACWS (Yet Another Clone Wars Saga). The Clone Wars saga is a long period, and they've fit all the canon into a coherent line SO FAR. This doesn't, however, mean they won't eventually bog the period down into a case of "This goes here, replacing this, oh and this too".
    LGBTitP

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    You aren't confused. There was a Clone Wars series that introduced planets such as Hypori to the screen, had the epicness leading up to Episode III, and the explanation for why Grievous was a hacking chest-dented idiot in the movie rather than a competent melee fighter.
    You see I really like this Grievous, deadly when he has fear and surprise, gets cocky and pwned by the man withe the mauve lightsaber.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Grievous wasn't all that different in the movie. Dooku made it very clear to him that he needed surprise, fear and intimidation on his side when fighting Jedi; he needed to confront them when they were already half-beaten, too. He fought Ayla Secura, Ki-adi Mundi and Shaak Ti (twice!) when they were physically exhausted and frightened, but when he faces Mace Windu (who, it seemed, was just getting warmed up), he gets maimed for his trouble. He keeps trying to get the psychological upper hand against Obi-Wan, but Obi starts with it and doesn't lose it.

I'm intrigued about this animated series jazz. I had a feeling that someone might try to complete a third trilogy using animation; I have a feeling that if Clone Wars is a success, that might happen.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    Grievous wasn't all that different in the movie. Dooku made it very clear to him that he needed surprise, fear and intimidation on his side when fighting Jedi; he needed to confront them when they were already half-beaten, too. He fought Ayla Secura, Ki-adi Mundi and Shaak Ti (twice!) when they were physically exhausted and frightened, but when he faces Mace Windu (who, it seemed, was just getting warmed up), he gets maimed for his trouble.
    Noone can defeat Clone Wars Mace Windu, Grievous never stood a chance.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by GoC View Post
    Noone can defeat Clone Wars Mace Windu, Grievous never stood a chance.
    Dunno. Dooku's style was specifically made to counter Mace's, so I think he'd have a good shot.

Then again, Mace is infinetely cool.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Azerian Kelimon View Post
    Dunno. Dooku's style was specifically made to counter Mace's, so I think he'd have a good shot.
    Not sure about that - it's Dooku's style which is considered a little archaic, whereas Mace's style is relatively new. However, it's mentioned in more than a few places in the novels and the RPG books that Count Dooku and Yoda were the only two swordsmen in the Jedi order who have managed to defeat Mace in a duel.

Clone Wars Windu, on the other hand, would hand them their asses on a platter.
    Last edited by SmartAlec; 2008-06-02 at 01:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

I liked the prequels better than the originals. There, I said it. The effects are better, it's eaisier on the eyes, flows better and ect. Acting and whatnot I don't really care, it's not shakespear.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieSmiles View Post
    Why must everyone decide they hate his movies before they see them. After The Phantom Menace, people go into his movies expecting to hate them, and after they see it for the sixth time they tell themselves they are right. Apparently the only good thing he has ever made was the Empire Strikes Back. Not the one he rereleased with added special effects, but just the theatrical release from 1980.
    George Lucas didn't even make The Empire Strikes Back!

It was Kerschner, dammit.
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)
    Str 23, Dex 32, Con 30, Int 17, Wis 27, Cha 19
    AC: 33, Claw: +29 Melee (1d2+19)
    Body by Jake Army. Avatar by Kyace.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

The voice acting seems kind of "meh". And the music doesn't really flow with what's going on.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

When I saw the trailer for this before Speed Racer, I burst out laughing at the "save Jabba the Hutt's son, we must" or whatever that line was. I'm not saying it's going to be bad, but I get the feeling I'm going to be taking this less seriously than I did the Gungans.

And I liked Grievous in the movies. Cyborg Snidely Whiplash, now with more arms! What's not to love?

Frosty: What exactly is 4chan anyways? An image board? What does /u/ stand for?

Kamikasei: May I touch you? I wish to share some part of your innocence, as though you were a relic, or holy man.

26. - Top - End - #26

Beholder

Yeah, that plotline makes no sense.

The Jedi, guardians of peace and justice, are supposed to save one of the most vile crimelord's (with tons of resources of his own) son? I mean, they're trying to save a kid who will grow up to be like his parent: he'll ruin many people's lives, and all that.

But Hutts are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlec View Post
    Clone Wars Windu, on the other hand, would hand them their asses on a platter.
    Don't know about that. Yoda was throwing those huge Trade Federation ships around with the Force ...
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2008-06-03 at 06:32 AM.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

i think its quite cool, just take it out of context its an action film of starwars, not a narative, sweeeeet
    http://s9.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=97391

On No Accounts Must the Above Link Be Clicked!

Best Avatar by Sampi!

28. - Top - End - #28

I think it looks pretty funky to me.
    Own it, pwn it, nuke it, sheep it, eat it, quick re -right it, Joe it, turn it, turnip, pimp it, gimp it, dot it, rock it, spec re - spec it...

I'm bringing smexy back

As a Warblade, I'm pimp as hell.

Big up kpenguin for the chronic Avatar.

Powergaming - because you can't roleplay when your dead.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him dominate the World

29. - Top - End - #29

I just realized that the whole Rotta Desilijic Tiure business has hit at least one canonicity snag. In his last will and testament, Jabba claimed to have no offspring.

The Hutt deal plot makes sense somewhat, at least in the context of what has been revealed so far. It more or less appears to be "You give me my offspring, I don't have Cartel ships blast you out of space while in their shipping lanes". Even the Jedi have to bow down a bit during the pressure of war.
    LGBTitP

30. - Top - End - #30

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    I just realized that the whole Rotta Desilijic Tiure business has hit at least one canonicity snag. In his last will and testament, Jabba claimed to have no offspring.

The Hutt deal plot makes sense somewhat, at least in the context of what has been revealed so far. It more or less appears to be "You give me my offspring, I don't have Cartel ships blast you out of space while in their shipping lanes". Even the Jedi have to bow down a bit during the pressure of war.
    Well, either his son died between the Clone Wars and RotJ, or they had a falling out. What if Rotta was Force-Sensitive and went off to train with the Jedi? We'll have to find out. Hutt Jedi = rare but sweet.

And your idea as to the plot does make sense, too.