New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default A Goliath's Tale: Terror in the Night

The calm autumn night hangs silently onto the mountainous craigs, as the eternal battle between the day, symbolized by Naki-Uthai's campfire, and the night wages on. Vanua's eye hangs full upon the horizon, bringing mischief upon those he gazes.

Down in a narrow valley, guarded by a swift-flowing icy stream and the ever-vigiliant Dawncallers, the tribe's camp sleeps contentedly. As the deepest shadows slowly give way to murky darkness, illuminated slightly from the reflected light of the full moon hanging fat, just above the nearest ridge, the watcher's gutteral cry rends the air. Suddenly the entire tribe is roused from its torpor.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Goliath's Tale: Terror in the Night

Gauthak Eagerfoot

With a bound, an enormous Goliath leaps from his tent, greathammer at the ready and eyes flicking across the horizon as they struggle to adjust to the darkness. Racing toward the edge of the camp, he calls "What danger, Dawncaller?"
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

Used to DM: Unlikely Comrades, A New Chance (OoC)
    Used to play: The Legend of Ashardalon, Tudor Mansion

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

Always interested in playtesting new/variant/homebrew rules. :-)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Kathanga Feastbringer

A young goliath woman silently emerges from her tent. She has her longbow and quiver, but has not taken the time to don her armour or her masterwork boots. Her torch of continual light is stuffed into her quiver, flame end down, but it has a leather pouch over the end to concealing the light. She follows the direction of the alarm, taking care to move silently. She intends to stay in the shadows if anyone should bring out a light.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spilk

Roused from sleep, Spilk listens for clues as he hastily dons his armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 round to stand and grab armor. 5 rounds to ready it (-1 AC; +1 ACP). 1 round to grab quiver and glaive. Assuming he's heard nothing useful, Spilk peaks out on round 8.

Init - (1d20)[11]
    Eight rounds passive Listen - (8d20)[14][14][18][17][20][7][19][9](118) = 19,19,23,22,25,12,24,14
    On round 8:
    Hide - (1d20+3)[13]
    Spot - (1d20+4)[18]
    Last edited by Maurkov; 2008-06-02 at 01:02 PM.
    Business Trip 6/7 - 6/18. I'll try to keep up.
    Gwydr

5. - Top - End - #5

Kaeiolathlak Skinchanger

The moment that Skinchanger is awakened from his sleep he transforms into his fast, wolf-like predator form, rolls out of his tent, and dashes in the direction that the Dawncaller's cry came from. He doesn't bother with his armor, knowing that it would be useless once he shifts anyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action to shift, Run with 50ft base land speed in the direction of the Dawncaller's cry.
    Last edited by jagadaishio; 2008-06-02 at 01:13 PM.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cloudhead

The watcher's cry jerks Cloudhead upright in his furs and he scrambles out his tent as the echos fade into the darkness. He stands for a moment, his body shaking like a sapling in the winter gale, his heart pounding like a greathammer against the ground. It's just the cold, Cloudhead tells himself, wondering if he should do something. I haven't... I'm not... This is my first... Looking around, his body almost collapses when he sees that few of the tribe are outside and none wear their protections. I can... I don't need... He braces his feet and clenches his fist, takes a deep breath, presses his lips tight, and starts running toward the general direction of the commotion.

As he passes Naki-Uthai's Dayfire he pleads for aid. Naki-Uthai, eyes to me, breath pushes my back, hold away the branches. Your sun in me. Naki-Uthai, keep Dawncaller in day, leave Kuliak in night.

(Naki-Uthai, watch over me, give me strength, guide me. Your favor is with me. Naki-Uthai, share your favor with the Dawncaller, keep him alive, do not let Kuliak take him.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Round1:
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    Decide to fight.

Round 2: Start running (30' base speed) towards the camp edge

EDIT: Let's try the rolls again:
    [roll=Spot]1d20+2[/roll]
    [roll=Listen]1d20+3[/roll]

EDIT2: Gah, Beren, roll for me.

EDIT3: yay, it worked! see my post after Detedinator!
    Last edited by Anna_Irving; 2008-06-02 at 10:53 PM.
    Character Sheets:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Adjudicator
    HP: 10/10
    AC: 16, T:12, FF: 14

Inititative - (1d20+2)[8]

Slipping out of the folds of his tent as quietly as he can, the tall goliath is crouched even more then normal as a stray bit of light shows the tell-tale gleam of the mithril links he wears even while sleeping. In his left hand he carries his bow, while with his right, he struggles to hastily don his oversized quiver while juggling it with his axe. His normal belt is missing, and his large feet are bare. As he slips out, the chaos of his gear within his tent gives lie to his quickly organized exit.

In his first fumbled movements, he manages to sling both his quiver and axe, and moving at an accelerated pace towards the watcher he pulls forth an nocks an arrow to his massive bow.

As he moves, the darkness and hurry brings back memories of his mother and how she died in each of his dreams for seasons after the cave in...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move action exit tend/sling quiver, second move towards watcher/'sheathe' axe'. Moving at 40ft.

Hide - (1d20+7)[22]
    MoveSilently - (1d20+7)[13]
    Spot - (1d20+8)[13]
    Listen - (1d20+3)[8]

Note: You can't edit in rolls, or mess with rolls after an edit.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

8. - Top - End - #8

Stoneblessed

Javarral arose and stepped calmly from his tent, scanning the area for any sign of the danger.1 Failing that, he would at least look at the direction the most others were heading towards.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20+2)[10]
    Thanks to Dashwood for the avatar!

Check out my Homebrew.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

[OOC: maybe 3rd time's the charm?]

Spot - (1d20+2)[22]
    Listen - (1d20+3)[7]
    Character Sheets:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

For Anna:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When doing your rolls the two most important things to remember is you can't edit them in, and you can't use the preview button. I also find it easier to put your tag saying what the roll is for outside the actual roll commands.

Near the edge of the camp, three powerful figures are deep in conversation. The largest, the chieftain Akala Fishstringer Kulie-Kamana, is physically restraining the Tent-mother. Near them both is the captain of the Dawncallers.

With the rest of the tribe approaching, Dawncaller chants out praise for swift action and signals that danger has been chased from the camp for now. With a grunt, Fishstringer releases Tent-mother, who stands quivering with rage. Turning to the approaching tribe he calls out, "Vanua greeted us tonight! Danger has passed, but an avalanche may be waiting. Silver-claw was attacked and is gone and there are strange tracks running all through camp. Skinchanger, take three more and find him. Eagerfoot will lead another three to find and kill the monster."

As he finished his pronouncement, Tent-mother yells back, "And what about Night-eyes!?"
    Turning his aging eyes upon her, the chieftain replies with great force, "You will not go looking for him until dawn! He has run off too many times, I will not risk more when these unknown dangers lurk in the night!"

Cold Un-descriptive Information
    Spoiler
    Show
    Silver-claw is one of the dawncallers, named after his preferred weapons, silver-tipped claws.
    Night-eyes is one of the children who occasionally wanders off at night, in search of something to force his being named an adult.
    The time is a couple of hours before dawn, and everything is in shadowy illumination (which grants concealment).
    Last edited by Beren One-Hand; 2008-06-02 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Formatting

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Wolfbrother

Wolfbrother had always been somewhat of an early riser and this night was no different. Wolfbrother traveled with Meeka close at hand like they usually did, Wolfbrother to meditate and Meeka to hunt.

When the Dawncaller's cry rang out over the area, Wolfbrother had just finished his ritualistic meditations. Unsure where Meeka had run off to Wolfbrother blew three hard blasts on the bone whistle he carried with him. This was his signal to Meeka that she was to come to him and keep close. Wolfbrother grabbed his spear, which he had set down before he began meditating, and began making his way to the call.

When he caught up with the rest of the tribe that had gathered he overheard the chieftain giving out orders. One lost and one to hunt. Unless it takes a long time to catch this monster, I will not be much use if a battle ensues. Seeing Meeka arriving Wolfbrother takes out his whistle and gives one long blow on it, signaling to the wolf that she should assist Wolfbrother in gaging the direction and the type of creature that made whatever tracks he was looking at.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Kathanga Feastbringer

Feastbringers steps out of the shadows. She knows her tracking skills would be useful for either mission, but she hopes her big brother chooses her. It would be proof that he no longer thinks of her as a child.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

13. - Top - End - #13

Eagerfoot

Glancing briefly over the Goliaths already approaching the scene, Eagerfoot makes a swift decision. Tracking, range, and strength - we'll need all three for a strong hunting party. Wolfbrother! Adjudicator! Spiderbane! With me! Whatever beast has attacked Silverclaws will fall before us! Glad he had slept in his armor, he waits impatiently for Wolfbrother and Meeka to pick up the trail.

Spoiler
    Show
    This character is wonderfully uncomplicated to play. :D
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-06-03 at 05:32 AM.
    Notice: Weekends are unpredictable for me. Weekdays are not. Expect more consistent activity then.

PbP registration entry, last edited 8/17/09 (do have a look if I'm applying for your game)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spilk Spiderbane

Spiderbane nods to Eagerfoot. Wisely chosen. Seeing that the fighting is over but the trail is hot, Spilk briefly returns to his tent for his pack and tools*.

"Which way, Adjudicator?"

Spoiler
    Show
    *Leaving behind the cold weather gear, tent, bedroll, and coins, Spilk will be at light encumberance. Ten feet faster than most, he'll use the extra time to adjust his armor.
    Business Trip 6/7 - 6/18. I'll try to keep up.
    Gwydr

15. - Top - End - #15

Kaeiolathlak Skinchanger

Skinchanger stands, shifting back to his normal form, standing in the wool pants he normally wears, barefoot and lacking any equipment. "Kathanga," he says, calling his sister by her childhood name without thinking about it, "try to find any sign of where Silver-claw may have disappeared to. Check where he was when he called first. Cloudhead, Stoneblessed, we're going to give my sister any help she needs."

Skinchanger then shifts back to his predator form and puts his face to the ground, prepared to aid his sister in tracking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Skinchanger will provide Feastbringer with aid in tracking by means of a survival check. Even if he rolls a 1, since we're in a natural environment, he automatically succeeds in aiding in her check. Cloudhead and Stoneblessed will be expected to scout out as the other two are distracted by tracking.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Kathanga Feastbringer

"Of course, Kaeiolathlak," Feastbringer says in her sweetest tone. "Just let me get my kit." She jogs to the tent to don her armour and boots and fetch her gear.

When she returns, she puts her tracking skill to use.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival: (1d20+7)[15] (that's without any aid that Skinchanger gives)

I'm in the UK, so I'll give you a few contingency rolls before I go to bed.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot: (1d20+7)[18]
    Listen: (1d20+5)[16]
    Move Silently: (1d20+9)[14]
    Hide: (1d20+8)[13]
    Survival (track 2nd mile): (1d20+7)[15]
    Survival (track 3rd mile): (1d20+7)[23]
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[2]

Last edited by happyturtle; 2008-06-03 at 03:27 PM.

― Dorothy Parker

Show
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cloudhead

While Feastbringer readies herself Cloudhead runs back and slips his beltpouch around his waist. He quickly rolls up his bedroll, slings his backpack onto his shoulders, and hurries back with a large sturdy stick in hand. His small tent stands empty.

Returning before Feastbringer, Cloudhead looks at Skinchanger and realizes what he's expected to do. Okay, I can do this, he encourages himself. Be still. Be quiet. Just like practice. Glad for Vanua's full eye above, Cloudhead starts to scout ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide - (1d20+2)[10]
    MoveSilent - (1d20+2)[5]
    Spot - (1d20+2)[13]
    Listen - (1d20+3)[16]
    Survival - (1d20+5)[8]
    Last edited by Anna_Irving; 2008-06-03 at 03:34 PM.
    Character Sheets:

18. - Top - End - #18

Skinchanger

Seeing that the other members of his tracking party are taking the time to gather up their gear, Skinchanger heads back to his tent, shifts back to his normal form, takes a minute to pull on his armor, and grabs his pack and staff. After he has all of his gear, he shifts to his predator form, his equipment melting into his body until such time that he changes back, and jogs back to be ready to start on the search.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess I'll drop some rolls to be used when needed too.
    Spot - (1d20+8)[12]
    Listen - (1d20+8)[22]
    Hide - (1d20+1)[16]
    MoveSilently - (1d20+1)[18]
    Initiative - (1d20+1)[19]
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Initiative is a good idea]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[15]
    Character Sheets:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

You can now go to your seperate theads:
    The Trail of Mystery: Day 1 - Group 1 (Eagerfoot, Wolfbrother, Adjudicator, Spiderbane)
    The Missing Dawncaller: Day 1 - Group 2 (Skinchanger, Cloudhead, Feastbringer, Stoneblessed)

You can still post here if there is anything you want said before you leave as a group (and it won't hold up your group thread).

21. - Top - End - #21

Eagerfoot

Ua thakan, companions. May Manethak guide your steps swiftly to Silver-claw. After wishing the other group good fortune, he lopes off, following the others' tracking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mohk'ra, warriors!
    Last edited by harmonictempest; 2008-06-04 at 05:19 AM.