New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) Supermen and Flying Machines: Operation Warlock

Tzvetan Toronov

"I'll report it to Col. Pohl in person when I sign off, sir. I'm sure it's nothing."

The guard detail drew to a halt outside Hangar 5, the entrance to the lab complex. A couple of large crates marked "Hangar 5, Lab 2" sat to one side of the door. Brown hit the buzzer, and men at the guardpost inched open one of the huge doors manually from within. The gap was wide enough for two men to enter at once, but no more. The whole operation took about 3 or 4 minutes, and the men were exhausted afterwards.

The crates probably contained the powered amphibious exoskeletons you and your team had been developing. The exo-units were being tested at Monterey last week, and as you were unable to leave the base to attend, had been shipped back here for analysis. Dr Borson, your 2IC, was meeting with you this morning to discuss the results. The remainder of the team were due to return later in the day. As some of the exo-unit components were compatible with Zulfiqar, naturally you were eager to see how the experiments had turned out.

The guard addressed Lt Williamson as you and your guards filed in. "The motors seemed to have failed overnight. We can't the doors open far enough to move the crates. It's first on the mechanic's list though," then turned to you, "so hopefully your work won't be delayed long. An hour at most."

OOC: Hangar 5, Lab 2 is your lab.
    Last edited by Hairb; 2008-06-09 at 11:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

"You heard about this Age of the Air party everybody's been reading about? Seems like it's all anybody thinks about these days. Hell, hardly anyone's even goin'!"

Your driver chuckled, as if at a private joke.

"Mind you, that ol sewerage leak will take 'em all down a peg. Must have roachs up to their knees!" he guffawed.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jack Power

Jack laughed along with the man and, concentration broken, accidentally floated up a few inches, bumping his head on the roof of the cab with an "Ow". Embarrassed, he settled back down carefully, and hooked a foot under the driver's seat. Hopefully the man would think Jack had simply sat up too suddenly.

To distract the driver, Jack patted his left breast pocket, "Got me invite right here. Now, I'm guessing I'd best be checking out that fancy elevator this morning, before all the high mucky mucks be filling up the top floor. Does it be a long way from your man's diner to the Atlas Hotel?"

When the cab pulled up in front of the diner, Jack looked around nervously before getting out, trying to figure out a good way to get inside.
    Last edited by Jacob Orlove; 2008-06-10 at 04:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Laveau's Diner was upstairs from a busy looking salon on Decatur St. From the balcony, customers looked out onto the wharves and across the river to Algiers.

To your surprise, the driver took you past the front of the diner, around the corner to an alley behind the shops on Marigny St, where he came to a stop. The alley was cluttered with empty crates and overflowing trash bins.

While making change for your fare out of a battered old tobacco tin, he spoke in a low, almost conspirational, tone. "Old Man Laveau's a bit gone on this health stuff... he reckons smoking's bad for the head. Says if people want to poison their brains in his restaurant, they can go do it up on the roof. He had stairs and a door put in. Ain't nobody going notice you if you're smart about it."

As he gave you your change, he pressed a grubby business card into your hand. "Anytime, anywhere, Flyboy. My nephew takes the wheel after 9 most nights, but he's a good kid. Try the crab casserole."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thompson raised an eyebrow, but smiled at Mrs Chen "Thanks Mrs Chen, i'll keep an eye out for him." he headed up to his apartment and put the lettice in the icebox, before getting a letter opener and slitting the envelope open, then pulling out whatever was inside.
    As i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i shall know no fear, for i have three lives remaining and god mode enabled.

Pastry Chef of the Lord Shojo Fanclub

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Thompson Torque

The envelope contained a blank piece of paper, neatly folded in the usual way. The paper was of slightly heavier than usual weight, and had no smudges, rips, creases, marks or stains on it. There was nothing else inside the envelope.

7. - Top - End - #37

Jack Power

Relieved, Jack gave the driver a warm smile. "Sure, the very thing. Hell, keep the change. And thanks." Jack said, taking the business card, but not the money, from the driver's hand, and slipping it into one of the outer pockets on his coat.

After leaving the car, Jack stepped carefully around the trash, and ducked inside to climb the dimly lit stairs to the diner. Crab casserole for breakfast would be a first, but the cabbie's advice had been good so far!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tzvetan Toronov

Tzvetan switches back to his normal vocal range and huffs in genuine annoyance, "There's no reason for it to be delayed at all, Lieutenant. I can still enter my lab, and I can undoubtably find something better to do in there than waste my time waiting outside. The work you want me to do might be delayed, but that can wait, at least for an hour."
    Last edited by Myshlaevsky; 2008-06-13 at 08:32 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thompson Torque

Thompson frowned "Hmmm, blank paper... It HAS to be invisible ink!" he rushed over to the lamp and held the paper to the lightbulb, hoping that the heat or light would reveal something.
    As i walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i shall know no fear, for i have three lives remaining and god mode enabled.

10. - Top - End - #40

Peter Steele

Don't be paranoid, Duke thought as he approached the warehouse. But nonetheless, he took a walk around the parked car, just to see what - or who - might be inside.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Jack Power

Sneaking into the rear of the alley, you floated up to the roof of the building when you were sure nobody was looking. Peeking your head up over the edge of the roof, you noticed that the roof was empty, apart from a man and a woman on the far side, looking away from you. Like your driver had described, a small shelter the size of a phone booth or shower stall sat in roughly in the middle of the roof, covering a opening in the floor. Stairs led down into the building, and the sound of a busy kitchen and the smell of food issued from it.

Tzvetan Toronov

"Very well, Doctor. I'll get the security team. We'll let you know when the doors are ready to be opened." The lieutenant headed into the guard post, and shut himself in a soundproof booth. Though the window, you could see him speaking into a telephone receiver. His conversation was short, about 15 seconds at most. He hung up and then left the booth.
    "The boys in black are on their way on up. Just a minute."

Out in the main hangar, a small lift with heavily armored doors opened. Inside were five men in black and red jumpsuits. Four of them were toting automatic rifles; the fifth carried a heavy piece of equipment on his back like a backpack. Attached to this pack by a piece of flexible conduit was an antennae-like wand with a pistol grip. He wore a pistol at his hip. You recognized the men as one of M-26's special security teams that took care of areas that were off-limits to the base's regular staff, including your lab. The teams seemed to rotate duties regularly, and were typically no-nonsense and decidedly bored-looking. You did not recognize any members of the team, which was not unusual.

Thompson Torque

The light did nothing to the paper. Even after heating the paper for a good five or so minutes, nothing happened. While standing in the living room, you noticed a unfamiliar but unpleasant smell emanating from the kitchen.

Peter (?) Steele

The car was empty. Apart from a number of old butts in the ashtray, nothing else inside it caught your eye. The paintwork suggested that the car had been dirtied only recent, and was generally kept quite clean.

12. - Top - End - #42

Jack Power

That food smelled good. Hunger taking over, Jack walked quickly towards the tin shelter over the stairs. It was nice to have his feet on something solid, to just walk without having to think about it all the time. Jack just hoped the man and woman wouldn't turn around and see him before he got inside.

13. - Top - End - #43

Duke Steele

Duke shrugged, and went into the warehouse. Got to make a living now, come up with something I can sell, or . . . . The wheels were spinning in his mind now. I need a copy of the society page and a good map.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thompson Torque

Thompson frowned, then grabbed his gadget harness from its hiding place under his beat up old armchair and strapped it on, pulling his coat on over it afterwards. The alien drew the gas filter out from under his coat and strapped it on tightly. the smooth silver surface covered the bottom half of his face and a glass lens covered each eye. he crept up along the wall to the kitchen door, peering around the corner and reaching into his coat, fingers running along the rough grip of his zap pistol.

15. - Top - End - #45

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, I somehow managed to miss this update. Can I get conformation of whether or not I recognise the antennae-like equipment or if I know anything about it.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Jack Power

Neither the man or woman looked around. They were both gazing at the Atlas Hotel, murmuring sweet nothings to each other. From up on the roof, you noticed that the nearby buildings' rooves were all quite close, and featured a profusion of vents, chimney and the like. In the style associated with the french quarter, they were all flat-roofed.
    OOC: Unless you want to chat to the waitress, read the graffiti in the gents' room, see what the folks on the roof are looking at or something else along those lines, maybe we should move this along. Where are you heading next?

Duke Steele

You tinker on a few projects lying around the shop until lunch, then lock up and head to a gas station to get your car cleaned while you eat. You pick up a copy of the paper and a AAA map at the counter and leaf through them while eating lunch at a diner across the road. It occurs to you that you haven't opened the envelope Mulholland gave you yet.
    OOC: What catches your eye in the paper and map, exactly?

Thompson Torque

Alarmingly, your gadget harness is absent...

Tzvetan Toronov

The antennae, you recall, is for detecting listening devices or wireless signals. The Special Security performs a full sweep of the lab at the beginning of each day, before any personel are allow to enter it, and scan everyone who goes in or out afterwards.

Unlike the lift in the dormitory, this one is ran beautifully and is almost silent. The Specials are silent, too; unlike the rest of the men on the base, none of them ever try and get friendly, even the ones who stick around for more than a month at a stretch. As the heavy doors retracted, three siren blasts announced your arrival on sub-basement three. You passed through a security checkpoint, past the massive cargo lift and then passed another checkpoint, this one defended with a concrete emplacement and a heavy machine gun. As usual, Specials were manning the checkpoints; as usual, you were greeted with the same blank looks of indifference.

Upon reaching Laboratory Complex #2, two of the guards unlocked and entered the room while you and the rest waited outside. After a few minutes, they returned, and the man with the sweeper pack went in. His search of the room took almost nine and a half minutes to complete. He spoke to you.
    "Well, that's clean. We'll let you know when Dr Borson arrives."

17. - Top - End - #47

Tzvetan Toronov

Impatient, but at least glad that something was being done, Tzetan kept quiet for the remainder of the journey, adjusting his pace to match perfectly that of the specials. En route, he attempted to work out the most probable reason for the failure of the motors, thinking of any information particular to them he had recorded over the past few weeks.

He waited stock-still until the completion of the search, growing steadily more annoyed at his hour slipping away at the hands of others. When the sweeper emerged he asked, in a neutral tone (and no-one could do a neutral tone better than he could), "When will that be, exact-ly? Additionally, I wish to perform a field test as soon as I believe the new machinery has been successfully adapted to Zulfiqar. Will you inform the appropriate people?"

18. - Top - End - #48

Jack Power

Jack ate a long and leisurely breakfast as he took in the view of the river. As he left, he got directions from the waitress to a nearby tailor. After that, he went back up to the roof and smoked a cigarette or two, unobtrusively waiting for the rooftop to empty, but once it did, he jumped to the roof of next building over. Well, there were worse ways to get around a city.

OOC: Next on the agenda is nicer clothes, I believe, then over to the Atlas building to check out the view from the top until the party tonight.

19. - Top - End - #49

Duke Steele

The Society Page. One of the last places Duke looked at in the paper, and then only to put under a leaking engine. But today . . . there it was. Hearst, San Simeon, tonight, a fundraiser for somesuch. Out came the map. Automatically, Duke started to check to see what roads he needed, and then he stopped himself with a smile.

The California Condor didn't need roads to pay William Randolph Hearst a visit.

With the smile still on his face, he cut open the envelope to count his pay.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Machival Turgenev
    Brooklyn, NY
    Red Hook
    5:03 PM

The damp packet of info on your man contained very little real information of use. Whoever gave you this assignment must have thought you were some sort of amateur, despite his assurances that "he'd heard you were the best."

Most of it was just psychobabble: stuff about nervous tics, potential anal-retentive behaviour, no signs of major phobias or obsessions. Headshrinker garbage. A good deal of it found its way into your fire as fuel, but you had managed to distill a few key pieces of information out of it: every Monday, your man would be at the office he frequented in Red Hook. He'd leave at dusk to make one of his mysterious visits during the evening, and nobody knew where to. He followed no set route, used multiple means of transportation and was adept at losing tails. No known home address, no name given, no affiliations of any sort.

The one image of him in the file was a photograph that depicted him boarding a streetcar. Aged anywhere from his late 40's to his mid 50's , he was grey at the temples, clean-shaven and had a nasty scar under the left eye. His style of dress was precise, conservative and deliberately unremarkable. He carried an attache case that had seen better days.

Dusk arrived, and your mark was moving erratically. He left his office in a converted Red Hook warehouse at five and walked nine blocks east, caught a taxi towards the river and got out near the Brooklyn Bridge. Heavy traffic due to a truck rollover meant you had no trouble keeping up. On leaving the cab, the man joined the line of people waiting for a street-car headed to across the bridge to Manhattan. If he'd noticed you or anyone else following him, he gave no sign of it. He was wearing a long black coat, a black hat with a soft crown and carried an attache case not unlike the one in the photograph.
    Last edited by Hairb; 2008-06-18 at 05:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thompson Torque

Thompson swore at finding his harness gone. He looked around for a few seconds, before covering the bottom of his face with a handkerchief and cautiously peering round into the kitchen.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

Machival Turgenev

Machival coughed out a sigh of relief. "You sneaky bastard." any other merc in this city would have cringed at the mystery man's decision to take a street car to Manhattan, the crowded streets are a "tail's" worst nightmare. But Mach was no ordinary merc and Manhattan was his turf. Coarse this meant he was wearing his lucky blue bandanna and Black Glasses durin tonight's endeavours. "This will be easier then I thought" muttered Mach setting off on the hunt; smiling as he melted the package given to him by his employer into mush.

Mach swung up to the already moving street-car and hung towards the back trying to stay as inconspicuous as possible.
    Last edited by Machival; 2008-06-19 at 05:22 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Machival Turgenev

The streetcar headed across the Brooklyn Bridge, hanging a sharp right turn that made your stomach do a half somersault. It sped northeast along Lafayette, then up 4th and onto Park Avenue. Your mark alit at E 85th street, and headed west towards Madison Avenue. He made a sharp turn into the doorway of a divey little bar halfway down the street.

Thompson Torque

The smell, now quite pungent, seemed to be coming from the lowest of the four drawers under the kitchen bench, the one with the dodgy set of runners. You noticed a large flake of pale yellow paint on the floor in front of the drawers. The colour matched the decor of the kitchen perfectly, although it was not immediately obvious where it had come from.

Duke Steele

The envelope contained seven pieces of paper. Two of them you expected: a payroll check for your redundancy payout and another for the last fortnight's wages. However, the envelope also had another four checks in it, the first of which was made out for a fortnight's wages with overtime and postdated two weeks after today. The next was for the same amount and postdated two weeks later again, as were the remaining two. The last of the envelope's contents was an index card, which bore the message Sorry in Mulholland's looping scrawl. The checks were all signed by both the payroll clerk and Mulholland and looked legit.

Jack Power

You had noticed a rather fancy look department store on the way over, and it wasn't much trouble to hop onto the roof and descend the internal fire escape stairs. You found yourself on the second floor (Lady's apparel and shoes) near the men's room. Menswear was on the ground floor according to the sign. A staff member noticed you and approached.
    "May I be of assistance, sir?" he asked.

Tzvetan Toronov

"I don't know. Borson usually comes through at 0900. If you want to do field tests, better talk to Director Grier yourself. He's due for an inspection here at 1200 hours. Better have something good for him." He ran the antennae over you, found nothing and then waved you through.

The lab is a concrete room about 100 meters on each side. At the far end is a balcony overlooking the machinery workshop on the floor below, and a set of stairs and a cargo lift for moving gear between the two floors. Most of the lab was given over to immersion tanks, high pressure testing equipment and the like, all of which was used in development of the exo-units. In a cordoned off corner of the lab was the equipment used to maintain your shells and, of course, Zulfiqar, sitting under dust covers.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

Machival Turgenev

Machival stumbled off the tram after his target pushing the passers by on the street out of his way. Machival kept pace with his mark but made sure he was a safe distance so as to avoid suspicion. Machival scuffled to a halt at the door of the shady looking tavern. "Easy there Mach, not falling for that again." mumbeled Mach lifting a finger in exclamation as he threw a sharp pivot turn "Back door it is." Mach ducked into a dank alleyway beside the bar. "oooo k here we go." he pulled off his leather gloves to reveal a pair of rubbery purpley-blue hands. Mach took a deep breath and marched hands outstretched through the wall of the tavern as if it were but a shadow.
    Last edited by Machival; 2008-06-24 at 09:37 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Duke Steele

"Whoa," he said quietly. Mulholland must have felt very guilty, or he was trying to buy some silence on the St. Francis Dam. He went over the checks again. A nice cushion to buy some time with.

Whistling some ragtime, Duke made sure all the doors were locked and the window shades were down. Then he pulled up the floorboards, revealing the large, semiburied locker. Three padlocks were removed, and he pulled out the Condor suit.

Laying it out on a large table, he started to go over it, bolt by bolt, tube by tube. Long flight tonight, have to look my best. That brought him up short. "I do have to look good," he said to the empty room. The suit was currently designed to be almost invisible at night. Well, that's easy to fix, he thought, pulling out a metal polisher.

26. - Top - End - #56

Jack Power

"Um." Jack tried to think fast. He needed an excuse to avoid going downstairs. "I'm needing to use the Jacks here, but I'm hurrying. Could you be bringing up a shirt and trousers, just as these I'm wearing, but pure classy?" Before the man could do more than nod, Jack ducked into the lavatory.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thompson Torque

Thompson grabbed a ladle, hooked the end into the drawer handle, and gave a good tug to try and open it up, not trusting whatever was making the smell inside. He kept his coat covering his mouth and nose at all times.

28. - Top - End - #58

Tzvetan Toronov

Tzevatan edged around the workshop himself, looking for anything untoward or different since he had last visited. He pulled the dust covers from Zulfiqar, switching it on momentarily to check everything was functioning as it should, sans brain, and replaced them. After this, divesting himself of any steam build-up in an empty area of the lab, he began to prepare for continuing the work he had left over from the previous session.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriously sorry about the delay, but the forum has been killing me, and it seemed like every successful post I made just worsened the problem. Thankfully, it seems to have settled down now.
    Last edited by Myshlaevsky; 2008-06-25 at 01:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Tzvetan Toronov
    Everything in the lab was as usual, and you noticed nothing untoward or sinister. Maintenance went off without a hitch, and you were able to work quite efficiently. Although you achieved no major breakthroughs, you were satisfied that the morning had been a productive one.
    At around 0845, you heard the cargo elevator klaxon down the hall sound three times. A voice crackled over the public address system.
    "We've got the hangar doors open, sir. The crates are on their way down to the workshop."
    A few minutes later, the PA system came to life again.
    "Dr Borson has arrived. The team are taking him down to you now."
    Doctor Avery Borson was showing signs of exhaustion, presumably from his long flight. He greeted you wearily, before carry a stack of documents over to a large desk.
    "Grier apparently wants a preliminary report by midday, so we'd better start going over the results straight away. I don't know what the hurry is. This is hardly the most sensitive project we've ever worked on. There hasn't been anything odd happen around here that would scare the old bastard, has there?"

Thompson Torque
    The drawer flew off its runners and the kitchen floor. Flecks of paint showered off the sides of the drawer and its contents crashed together noisily. You could see that an object had been placed in the space between the bottom of the drawer and the kitchen floor. On closer inspection, it appear to be a rectangular object wrapped in a few layers of greaseproof paper. It was unmistakably the source of the smell. The object was about 8 inches wide, 5 1/2 inches deep and 3 inches high.

Jack Power
    After a few minutes in the bathroom, you heard a knock on the door.
    "Sir? I've found something I think might be to your liking. Are you all right in there, sir?"

Duke Steele
    By dusk, your suit was looking pretty impressive. An almost-new moon was waxing in the night sky and Chinatown had started turning in for an uneasy night's rest, accompanied by the usual serenade of barking dogs and the rattle of trolleys.

Machival Turgenev
    You emerged in a rather grotty bathroom stall in what could only be the bar's men's room, going by the smell. The hinge of the door, swollen with damp, had jammed closed. You heard the sound of footsteps entering the bathroom and the click of a small item against the tiled floor. There was a sound like somebody stripping off a heavy item of clothing. There was a metallic clank, and the scraping of something heavy being dragged against the wall. A set of rusty hinges close to the wall squeaked open.
    Last edited by Hairb; 2008-06-25 at 08:45 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Spoiler
    Show

Can I get some information about Dr. Borson?

Tzvetan Toronov

Toronov acknowledged Avery Borson and answered his question as best he was able, "My trip to the lab was unusual, in that there were numerous irregularities. I have encountered nothing indicative of a larger problem, however. If you have seen Director Grier, you are doubtless in a better position to assess the situation than I."

He moves round the lab to pick up the archived data of his own tests and returned to face the doctor.

"Is there something in your own conclusions that makes you believe this project has especial significance?