Page 1 of 34 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Heroes of the Soap...err Lance OOC

Here is the OOC thread for Dragons of Autumn.

One reminder from the recruiting thread...

Frequency of posting. I expect you to check the thread at least once per day and post as required. Absences are allowed, I need to know ahead of time. I expect this game to last a long time. If you’re gone for 14 days without notice I will kill and replace your character.

Toliudar-Pearl Kharlas-The Fearless Leader
    LordOfTheDucks-Lagri Firekeeper-The Reluctant Prophet
    codexgigas-Bryce Alban-The Idealist
    Annalia-Hector Kinder-The Protector
    SilentNight-Kalrin Danton-Prettyshaper-The Sage
    Philistine-Gneiss Copperpot-The Dwarven Rogue
    bchilders-Kiran Darkmoon-The Mentor (ceased posting in game)
    RoylkinEarthwhispr-Gakhan Nightbringer-The Ranger (vanished somewhere)

Dragons of Autumn-DragonLance
    Dragons of Autumn-DragonLance II
    Dragons of Autumn-DL III-Pax Tharkas

Here are the roles, I have an idea which one I think each of you would fulfill, but I'd like to know what all of you think about which one you'd be best for.

The Prophet (Out of all of them, I've already selected this one, waiting for them to accept/decline)

The Leader
    Spoiler
    Show

The Leader is the face of the group. He does the talking in delicate social situations; he negotiates with friends and enemies when appropriate. He is trusted to make many decisions on behalf of the entire party.

Any charismatic character with a sense of responsibility can fill this role. The other characters should like and trust him, even if he doesn't trust himself. It's unlikely a wizard can fill this role, but many other classes can; a noble or a charismatic fighter would be ideal.

The Rogue
    Spoiler
    Show

There are certainly times when a character who knows how to sneak, pick locks and get into places he's not supposed to can be very handy. Rogues (of course) and rangers can fit the role very well.

The Sage
    Spoiler
    Show

A wizard, though not required for Dragons of Autumn, is certainly useful. Spell support for the party is always extremely helpful, but the role of sage could be filled by a master with the sage focus or a rogue with a number of skill points dedicated to various knowledge checks. However, selecting those classes over wizard will lessen the overall combat effectiveness of the group.

The Ranger
    Spoiler
    Show

The Ranger is often seen as a dark and stoic warrior. The party relies on the Ranger for his combat abilities and his knowledge of wilderness and nature when traveling to distant lands. The Ranger archetype is not usually suited to take a leadership role as most rangers prefer not to deal with people in general.

Any character with good fighting abilities and survival skills could fill this role. Player characters with the barbarian, fighter, or ranger classes are the most likely candidates to fill this archetype. Monks or nobles with skill points in survival would also make an interesting choice.

The Mentor
    Spoiler
    Show

The Mentor archetype is a character who teaches by example, is a steadfast friend, and counsels the others using his life experience.

The most important aspects of filling this role are loyalty and friendship. Wisdom and old age would also seem to be a requirement, but they are not entirely necessary. Since these are roleplaying attributes, it does not matter what class a person plays. Any player willing to support the party as a whole, rather than looking out only for himself, would do well in this role.

The Protector
    Spoiler
    Show

The Protector is the archetype who is always willing to put himself in harm's way for the good of the party. He will step into any fight to shield the ones he loves.

The role of the Protector will most likely be served best by a skilled warrior who can stand at the front of the party in any battle and is able to take a beating. Knights and fighters make the best protectors, although a barbarian could also fill the role.

The Idealist
    Spoiler
    Show

The Idealist archetype is that of the beautiful, gifted and doomed. This character in the story is fated to fulfill some destiny during the adventure and is willing to give up his life to accomplish this task.

The character who takes this role should have some affinity with the noble ideals of the Knights of Solamnia. It will take a huge sacrifice to bring the Knights back together and rally them against the invading Dragonarmies. A knight or warrior affiliated with the Knights would be the most likely candidate for this role, though even a non-knightly character may prove to have the commitment and conviction to rise above the darkness and inspire others at great risk to themselves.

The Hawk
    Spoiler
    Show

Any warrior character with levels in fighter, barbarian, or ranger could fill the role of Hawk. Nobles, especially among the nonhuman races, are likely to possess the required emotional drive. The hawk archetype is related to aggressive impulses. Driven by frustration or despair, this character often seeks a foe upon which to focus his aggression, although as the story develops he may begin to understand the need for peace and stability.

Choose a leader, which type your character is (I prefer one character per type, but some may have two), and do your backgrounds and finish up your character sheets. The game won't be started til this is finished.

Any other questions?
    Last edited by wxdruid; 2011-10-01 at 06:52 PM.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Heroes of the Soap...err Lance OOC

Dibs on Protector? Although Hector could be considered (borderline) hawk, it doesn't sound that much like him. Plus, we have a barbarian for that.

One thing's sure, and it's that you probably don't want him to take the leader spot. He's too impulsive and irrational for that kind of role: it'd get us in a lot of trouble.

Also, soap for the win! And it appears I'm the only one here not using myth-weavers! (Just opened all your sheets, and they all have this weird little symbol-thingy)

EDIT: Okay, here's a few positions I think should be given... if you want them, of course! I'm basing this draft on what I can see of classes and basic personnality. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong. Awfully so. And to tell me why, as we all want to get to know each other's characters.

Ranger: Gakhan Nightbringer has ranger skills. If he desire it, I believe we can pretty much give him that spot.

Sage: Kalrin's the only wizard around. I do believe this should go to him.

Hawk: As I mentionned above, Lagri has the raging barbarian part of this role.

Protector: Must I repeat myself? I'd like to see Hector there, although I could indeed get shifted elsewhere.

Rogue: Hello, Gneiss. Say, is that rogue levels on your sheet?

Idealist: We have two Knights who could fill this role, but I'd be tempted to put Pearl in this role. It seems (to me) that Bryce has become has bit more disillusionned and realist. Still. Two Knights!

Leader: That'd actually put Bryce here. Since, you know, Kiran has cleric levels, and I'd expect a Prophet invitation to be waiting for him. I have to admit I'm a bit ambivalent at being led by a Solamnic Knight, though. It's definitely not the most... diplomatic type of characters.

That would mean we are mentor-less. Thoughts, folks?

Re-Edit: Oh. I also already know how I met Pearl, and have quite a good idea concerning Bryce. I seem to be the only native to Solace, although a few of you have resided there for a bit.

It seems like a good idea to first create a group with those who have taken residence in Solace, before finding some way to add the others. Perhaps by encountering them through an adventure of sorts?
    Last edited by Annalia; 2008-06-02 at 03:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Pearl is a natural for the idealist role, although Bryce is also an excellent candidate there.

She'll never be the strongest (literally or figuratively) fighter in the group, but with her reasonable-but-not-maxed investment in social skills would do all right as a leader - if a slightly impulsive one.

Entirely opinion, and feel free not to look, but here's how I'd see the breakdown going:
    Spoiler
    Show

Prophet: Kiran
    Leader: Pearl
    Rogue: Gneiss
    Sage: Kalrin
    Ranger: Lagri
    Mentor: Gakhan
    Protector: Hector
    Idealist: Bryce
    Hawk: Hector and Lagri seem to fit this best

If I recall correctly, we all knew each other five years ago, and then sort of went our ways, yes? Pearl's already interwoven a bit with Hector, but I'd be delighted to meet up with any of you during your intervening five years. It would be obvious for Bryce and Pearl to meet up once or twice, but I'm open to more esoteric connections as well: meeting Kalrin in a library, bailing Gneiss out of a jam, learning a bit of the craft of animals from Gakhan. Whatever.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

4. - Top - End - #4

I think it's more the other way around, actually. Once we leave, we remain alone for five years. Although I honestly don't see anything wrong with meeting in-between, we probably should work out how we met before taking the pact. I doubt we'd do something like that with people we don't trust (at least partly) before-hand.

We have so far...
    Pearl and Hector as sparring partners.
    Bryce spent some time as Hector's father's apprenticeship.

5. - Top - End - #5

ClericGuy

I was leaning towards the prophet myself, but I guess I'll wait to see what everyone else takes and pick up the left-over.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And your looking at your claws and your looking at your fangs and your thinking Your thinking to yourself I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Lagri is the outsider it seems. Friendly enough, but still the outsider. I can see him filling either the Hawk or Ranger.

As a foreigner he can be a link between any dwarf/elf character and the human bulk. Gakhan's hatred for ogres seems like a good stepping stone.

For leader I nominate Pearl, but am alright with Bryce. Paladins just scream "leader" to me.
    Last edited by GrassyGnoll; 2008-06-02 at 05:30 PM.
    Just my opinion about the whole “weed” debate, but it seems to me that cannabis, also known as marijuana,[4] and by numerous other names,[] is a preparation of the cannabis plant intended for use as a psychoactive drug and as medicine.[5][6] Just stating my opinion…

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, Gneiss is The Rogue - it's the only role he really fits. His personality has a bit of a Hawkish bent to it, but his methodology is pure Rogue. For the party as a whole, I see it as:

Leader: Pearl
    Rogue: Gneiss
    Sage: Kalrin
    Ranger: Gakhan
    Mentor: Kiran
    Protector: Hector
    Idealist: Bryce
    Hawk: Lagri
    Prophet: ??? (Short odds on Kiran, but I could also see an outside chance of it landing on Pearl or even Gakhan instead.)

Annalia, my understanding matches Toliudar's - the start of the adventure here is our party reunion after returning from our five-year individual searches for the Gods. So we need to both work out the initial meet-ups from back in the day, and also what we've been doing for the last five years.

Meetup/origin ideas (Should I be sending this stuff via PM?):
    Annalia/Codexgigas: When Gneiss first arrived in Solace, he would have needed to replace some kit that got left behind due to the hurried nature of his departure from Haven - so he quite likely would have paid a visit to the Kinder smithy, giving him an initial contact with Hector and/or Bryce. If one or the other of them (or both) turned up at the Inn within a day or two after that, Gneiss probably would've waved him (them) over to sit and have an ale.

Toliudar: If a pair of constables from the Lordcity of Haven showed up at the Inn in Solace, hot on the trail of a certain dwarf (ahem) who'd just taken lodgings there, do you think Pearl might have faced them down and sent them on their way because they had no lawful authority outside of Haven proper?

LordOfTheDucks: Was Lagri treasure-hunting for magic items on his first trip to Solace? I could see Gneiss having a couple of little trinkets - loot from one of his last "jobs" over in Haven, probably too hot to fence locally but not useful enough to keep - which he would be more than happy to sell, especially to someone who's planning to take them far, far away! (By the way - I could be mistaken, but I believe the setting is about 50 years too early for Cryonisis to be a major force on Krynn.)

Now Playing:
    Gneiss Copperpot

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    LordOfTheDucks: Was Lagri treasure-hunting for magic items on his first trip to Solace? I could see Gneiss having a couple of little trinkets - loot from one of his last "jobs" over in Haven, probably too hot to fence locally but not useful enough to keep - which he would be more than happy to sell, especially to someone who's planning to take them far, far away! (By the way - I could be mistaken, but I believe the setting is about 50 years too early for Cryonisis to be a major force on Krynn.)
    I don't see why not. Magical items just might happen to be hot merchandise down south.

Ah time is a fickle mistress. Even though the rebellion against Sleet was a few years off it didn't really affect anyone outside of Icereach and put in place two far more interesting Dragonlords. I felt pushing up the schedule for sedition was justifiable from a storytelling standpoint.
    Just my opinion about the whole “weed” debate, but it seems to me that cannabis, also known as marijuana,[4] and by numerous other names,[] is a preparation of the cannabis plant intended for use as a psychoactive drug and as medicine.[5][6] Just stating my opinion…

9. - Top - End - #9

Annalia, my understanding matches Toliudar's - the start of the adventure here is our party reunion after returning from our five-year individual searches for the Gods. So we need to both work out the initial meet-ups from back in the day, and also what we've been doing for the last five years.

Meetup/origin ideas (Should I be sending this stuff via PM?):
    Annalia/Codexgigas: When Gneiss first arrived in Solace, he would have needed to replace some kit that got left behind due to the hurried nature of his departure from Haven - so he quite likely would have paid a visit to the Kinder smithy, giving him an initial contact with Hector and/or Bryce. If one or the other of them (or both) turned up at the Inn within a day or two after that, Gneiss probably would've waved him (them) over to sit and have an ale.
    Oh, yeah. I just expected working out the five years of travels to be done more individually. Probably because mine has already been worked out.

As for your suggestion, that makes perfect sense. Although from the way I see it, Hector was probably out during the day. Gneiss could probably meet Bryce there, and if both him and Hector are at the Inn the following night, Bryce could present Hector. From there on it's easy shot: Hector is by nature open, joking and easy-going. He makes friends easy.

On other note, Pearl as leader goes fine with me too.

EDIT: Say, Roylkin, is that house Gakhan built some distance from Solace also in a valenwood tree? Because Hector had this bad habit of climbing in trees.. as a kid/teenager. That and Otik's spiced potatoes could be a great way to introduce Gakhan (who sounds rather reclusive) to the group.
    Last edited by Annalia; 2008-06-02 at 10:58 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Toliudar: If a pair of constables from the Lordcity of Haven showed up at the Inn in Solace, hot on the trail of a certain dwarf (ahem) who'd just taken lodgings there, do you think Pearl might have faced them down and sent them on their way because they had no lawful authority outside of Haven proper?
    She might indeed have sent them on their way for lack of evidence...she might just as soon have guilt-tripped a certain dwarf into working to pay for whatever had been taken - although she might have contributed her own labour and savings to such a cause.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think Pearl makes a better leader than Bryce, although I can also see how she makes a better idealist. I see Bryce as the idealist/protector, and I'm honestly leaning toward idealist. Yes, he is disillusioned with what he found in Solamnia, but it's because the Knighthood doesn't meet his ideals. Plus, I'm planning for Bryce to become a Clerist following the return of the true gods, which should go a long way to help with his disillusionment. I more or less envision him as attempting to call the Knighthood back to its devotion to the gods of good that is supposed to be at its core, along with the Oath and Measure.

As far as intertwining backgrounds go, Bryce is a native of Solace (his father isn't), so he and Hector probably go pretty far back. I fully agree that the smith Bryce was apprenticed to was Hector's father, so that just strengthens the connection. There's also an obvious connection to Pearl, both through Hector and through the Solamnic Knights. If our dm is fine with it, I'm even inclined to believe that Bryce and Pearl spent most of the five years together, since it's been established that they were both in Solamnia during that time. Bryce would certainly be willing to take Pearl on as his squire and would support her petition to the Order of the Crown, even if the Measure, in all its twenty-seven current volumes, states that she needs to prove noble birth.

Relationships with everyone else will depend on what other ideas people come up with. Bryce and Gneiss probably met at the smithy, and Bryce might even have botched Gneiss' order (he was never that good of a smith).

Edit: Annalia, I just noticed your message. I obviously agree with all of your ideas.
    Last edited by codexgigas; 2008-06-03 at 01:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    She might indeed have sent them on their way for lack of evidence...she might just as soon have guilt-tripped a certain dwarf into working to pay for whatever had been taken - although she might have contributed her own labour and savings to such a cause.
    Guilt? A fellow's got to make a living, you know, and Mister Rogue here earns his daily bread on the shady side of the street! Anyway, he always made it a point never to steal anthing from anyone who couldn't afford to lose it - as attested to by the fact that after he made an imperfectly clean getaway, his victims could still afford to hire a pair of rent-a-goons to follow him and try to drag him back. If it helps, you could try thinking of Gneiss as a sort of freelance socialist, operating at the microeconomic level to redistribute wealth and help keep society's financial wheels turning... But I'd probably better do better than that, eh?

Okay... the Havenites had no jurisdiction, and no evidence (unless/until they manage to search Gneiss's belongings, which he would have to be forcibly restrained to allow). They had a description so vague that it could fit almost any dwarf, most kender, a shortish human, or even a heavyset elf; plus a rumor that their quarry had left Haven on the Solace road. And Gneiss would have been loudly protesting his innocence all the while. Lying of course, but he was looking at being robbed (to his way of thinking) and dragged off to Haven in chains, and probably getting a beating from his captors every step of the way. So yes, he'd lie to the big, tough human in hopes of enlisting her to aid him against the other big, tough humans.

Much later on, once he got to know Pearl a bit better, and especially when they both ended up as members of the Innfellows, then he'd feel bad about that. This would make him even less likely to ever tell her the truth about that day, because honestly, honesty is not his strong suit. But it also gives him extra incentive to try to dispose of the "hot" items from Haven the first time he gets a chance to do it without Pearl noticing. At first, because he wouldn't want her to decide to drag him off to Haven herself; later, because he would have been ashamed if his friend found out the first words he ever spoke to her were lies.

Of course we do have a perfectly viable fallback option if this doesn't work out. Pearl knows Hector; Hector and Bryce go way back; Bryce and Gneiss met at the smithy shortly after Gneiss hit town.

Now Playing:
    Gneiss Copperpot

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'm enjoying reading all this, you guys are doing a great job at the background stuff, keep right on going.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

14. - Top - End - #14

ClericGuy

I see Kiran as coming late to the scene, not so much part of the crew that was purposefully meeting back in Solace. But for a connection I could definitely see one of the returning companions coming through ****(can't remember the name of my city at work) wounded and Kiran having to tend to them. Especially if it was Hector, a connection could have been made over their beliefs in the old gods. Let me know if anyone thinks it fits their character.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And your looking at your claws and your looking at your fangs and your thinking Your thinking to yourself I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey guys, sorry I'm late, I had a gig to play. So yeah, I guess I'm the sage, being the only wizard.

Philistine: Would you say that Gneiss has a typical dwarven love of gems? If so then here's roughly what I'm thinking.

Once Kalrin arrived in Solace he first tried to find his friend Billin. After determining that the trail had gone cold, he kipped at the inn for a while, selling his gems. Eventually they caught the eye of Gneiss Copperpot, the new dwarf in town. Perhaps Lagri too. Gneiss showed them to his friends at the smithy who set Kalrin up with a little part time job.

Alternatively,
    Toliudar: Sure, Kalrin would probably head to any library that was availible.
    Actually, Kalrin could meet just about any of the heroes during his search for Billin......
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2008-06-03 at 09:44 AM.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by bchilders View Post
    I see Kiran as coming late to the scene, not so much part of the crew that was purposefully meeting back in Solace. But for a connection I could definitely see one of the returning companions coming through ****(can't remember the name of my city at work) wounded and Kiran having to tend to them. Especially if it was Hector, a connection could have been made over their beliefs in the old gods. Let me know if anyone thinks it fits their character.
    Hector + Wounded is a very likely combo. Not only does he train often, which can go south with a bad move, but he's kind of a show-off.. which implies stuff like climbing high in trees (we should keep that one for Gakhan, if his house is indeed in a tree), diving down from a cliff into the lake (can't remember if there are mountains around Crystalmir lake), and all sorts of dangerous endeavours. As long as there's someone (*cough* Pearl? *cough*) watching, he's willing.

Also, folks, there is something else we must figure out. If you check the timelines, you'll realise that when the pact was made, Pearl was 15. I'm starting to think her leadership should be something more recent: something that comes naturally during the game. It strikes to me that a motley crew such as our characters wouldn't follow a fifteen-year-old teenager. However, if at the time her opinions and ideas were already quite respected by everyone, it could make sense that when she suddenly orders/strongly suggests something during the game, no one goes "Since when are you the leader?" We'd just go "Yeah, makes sense.", move out, and later on it'd become quite the natural thing.

EDIT: Oh, and gemcutting's decidely not Hector's father cup of tea, so he'd be pleased to get our local wizard's help on this. Which means you have a stable footing in Solace, and can meet about everyone through that.

Oh, and for the record. The blacksmith's name is Gerard Kinder. He seems to come up often, so I figured we'd best have a name.
    Last edited by Annalia; 2008-06-03 at 10:34 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Annalia View Post
    Also, folks, there is something else we must figure out. If you check the timelines, you'll realise that when the pact was made, Pearl was 15. I'm starting to think her leadership should be something more recent: something that comes naturally during the game. It strikes to me that a motley crew such as our characters wouldn't follow a fifteen-year-old teenager. However, if at the time her opinions and ideas were already quite respected by everyone, it could make sense that when she suddenly orders/strongly suggests something during the game, no one goes "Since when are you the leader?" We'd just go "Yeah, makes sense.", move out, and later on it'd become quite the natural thing.
    That sounds about right. Pearl needs to become our leader, and there could even be some (slight) argument over it after the fact. After all, we are taking orders from the youngest in the group. Still, if she's level-headed and hsa good ideas (and prevents Bryce from getting himself killed for the sake of honor), everyone should eventually fall in line. Likewise, Bryce and Hector are also too young to really be in a leadership position pre-pact. That brings up the question of who convinced the rest of us to go search for the true gods. Gakhan seems like the logical choice to me, but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Also, with so much testosterone in the group, and Pearl the only woman, there might be a sense that, if some of the more muscleheaded of the group won't listen to another muscleheaded guy, they don't so much mind taking suggestions from a woman. And she in turn feels somewhat maternal and protective of "her" lads. Even Hector.

And yes, I like the idea of there being not so much a clear sense that she's in charge, but rather a growing consensus that she tends to speak the commonly-held beliefs. Albeit sometimes in a slightly stuffy paladin-esque way. One of the purposes of having Pearl SO young was that she would be underestimated and overlooked frequently - she'd be used to it by now.

Silent Knight: I think that we could have fun with the very different ways that a paladin and a TN wizard might use a library. You hoarded books, and snuck pages into your pack. I spent half the time chatting with the staff of the library...

Philistine: I LOVE the idea that their friendship is based on a lie, a lie he now feels he can't ever tell her about. Let's run with that.

19. - Top - End - #19

You know.. it sounds to me like Pearl would be happy to die by your side for honour's sake, rather than try to prevent it.

As for who convinced us... well, it won't need that much convincing for my part. Hector would be more than happy to leave on something like that, and if someone brought up the idea on a night he'd drank a bit, he'd probably be game right away and work towards helping convincing the others.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

That brings up the question of who convinced the rest of us to go search for the true gods. Gakhan seems like the logical choice to me, but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.
    Hmm. good question, Codex. If Kiran is not a prime mover of the group five years ago, then yes, we need to find another galvanizing force. Gakhan works great for me. Maybe Bryce.

21. - Top - End - #21

RedWizardGuy

I can't see Bryce as the galvanizing force. Before the pact, I see him as being fairly immature and more interested in having a good time or playing knight than looking for religion. The quest he undertakes as his part of the pact is really more to become a knight than to find the true gods. His eventual epiphany is going to be because of the growing disquiet he feels with the Knights of Solamnia being more champions of law than of good at the moment. After all, in his mind, the orders are supposed to be devoted to Habbakuk, Kiri-Jolith, and Paladine as much as they are to the Oath and the Measure.

22. - Top - End - #22

Hector can be a galvanizing force. Heck, Hector is by nature someone with the enthusiasm and energy to get people to do things. The problem is that I don't see this being his idea. It's obvious to me he would love such an idea and spread it around to all his adventuring-like friends (namely, our group!). He's always had this thing for heroic epicness and, well, 'find the old gods' sounds just like it, eh?

Edit: Also, is it just me or we've yet to hear from Roylkin? C'mon, join the party, we're having fun before the game even started!
    Last edited by Annalia; 2008-06-03 at 01:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

ClericGuy

If Hector is looking for someone to give him the idea, then we could say that our "run in" happened before the split. Kiran had left the tribe because of their focus on ancestor spirits, helped Hector patch up whatever wound he had acquired and shared his belief in the existence of the old gods. Alakazam - Hector is given the idea and uses his entusiasm to spread it to the group.

wxdruid - Any word on the accept/decline for the prophet role because *shameless plug* Kiran would love to step in to that void

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Not that I saw anyone suggesting it, but Gneiss is of course far too materialistic to come up with something like the Pact. I think he'd also be among the least enthusiastic about the idea, maybe even a bit disparaging at first - though he'd go along once he realized his friends were serious about it.

@LordOfTheDucks: Groovy. It's good to know a friendly fence - and even better if the fence is going to re-sell certain hot merchandise a long, long way from the place where people might still be looking for it.

@SilentNight: Ha! Yes, I think it's safe to say that a new guy in town throwing around quantities of gemstones would get Gneiss's attention, and very quickly too. He not only has the stereotypical dwarven fondness for worked stone, but also the stereotypical rogueish fondness for low mass, low bulk, high value items. Gneiss might also sign on to help make sure you make it to the Tower of High Sorcery at the start of our five year mission, before going his own way.

@Toliudar: Allrighty, we'll do that then. And, bonus! Something else just came to me! Since Gneiss will always feel a bit like he's treading on eggshells with Pearl, this is his plausible excuse to follow her lead even if he's not necessarily comfortable with her decisions - and his deference might even help ease her into the leadership role with the rest of the group. After all, if she can convince a Gray Hat like Gneiss...

Now Playing:
    Gneiss Copperpot

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Also, with so much testosterone in the group, and Pearl the only woman, there might be a sense that, if some of the more muscleheaded of the group won't listen to another muscleheaded guy, they don't so much mind taking suggestions from a woman. And she in turn feels somewhat maternal and protective of "her" lads. Even Hector.

And yes, I like the idea of there being not so much a clear sense that she's in charge, but rather a growing consensus that she tends to speak the commonly-held beliefs. Albeit sometimes in a slightly stuffy paladin-esque way. One of the purposes of having Pearl SO young was that she would be underestimated and overlooked frequently - she'd be used to it by now.

Silent Knight: I think that we could have fun with the very different ways that a paladin and a TN wizard might use a library. You hoarded books, and snuck pages into your pack. I spent half the time chatting with the staff of the library...
    I whole-heartedly support the idea for Pearl's leadership. Should lead to some interesting role-playing.
    Also, just because Kalrin's TN (I would've made him NG if I could've) doesn't mean he's reclusive. He'd probably spend just as much time talking with the staff. Except he'd be doing it to learn about local customs or perhaps some forgotten tome in a back hall. Perhaps after Kalrin was comfortable enough with the town as stated above, and joined in the pact, he set off to take the test. Afterwards, he went to Palanthas to research Kender wanderlust patterns where he ran into Pearl. How's that sound?
    EDIT:@Philistine: Sweet. that works perfectly.(Assuming that Gneiss doesn't decide to "appropriate" his fee from Kalrin without telling him.)
    Last edited by SilentNight; 2008-06-03 at 06:05 PM.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I like that even better, SilentKnight.

I think that Pearl would have been fascinated by a wizard researching the kender - speaks to someone with a broader understanding of what's important in life. Perhaps, then, they've been travelling together from Palanthas?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Toliudar: Yeah, Kalrin would probably also be extremely interested in a young woman who is defying all known convention. Are you saying that they travelled together from Palanthas before or after the pact?

My meager homebrew

28. - Top - End - #28

@bchilders: That's perfectly fine with me! You mention you actually left to look for those old gods, and Hector can immediately mention he has quite a few friends he could convince to help out. A few weeks later, we have the Pact!

@Toli and SilentNight: I see talk of Palanthas. Hector spends most of his time there, as a gladiator (perhaps the only place with a bit of dirt in the entire town!) If you two headed there at some point, they could at least pay a visit.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

@SilentNight: O ye of little faith! Though Gneiss is not technically an Outcast, he still really doesn't have a place in dwarven society anymore - yet he's a product of that very clannish society, and the in-group/out-group distinction is very important to him. Once you're part of the in group, you're safe as can be. That's why he feels so bad about lying to Pearl back when - it didn't matter when she was just some random stranger, but now she's part of the in group.

So Gneiss will see Kalrin as far as the Tower at Wayreth before heading off to... hmm. Maybe to Mount Nevermind, to see if the gnomes know something about Reorx that the dwarves don't.

EDIT:
    Background updated
    on sheet, MAJOR revisions. All the party members except Gakhan are at least mentioned in there now, so please let me know if everything in there is okay.

EDIT 2:
    Also, I don't know if we're color-coding our characters, but I think of Gneiss as a nice sienna color.

@V: No worries, it's a perfectly reasonable thing to wonder about. Especially since I just got done telling Toliudar what an amoral SOB Gneiss can be when he's up against it.
    Last edited by Philistine; 2008-06-04 at 01:45 AM.

Now Playing:
    Gneiss Copperpot

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

@SilentNight: O ye of little faith! Though Gneiss is not technically an Outcast, he still really doesn't have a place in dwarven society anymore - yet he's a product of that very clannish society, and the in-group/out-group distinction is very important to him. Once you're part of the in group, you're safe as can be. That's why he feels so bad about lying to Pearl back when - it didn't matter when she was just some random stranger, but now she's part of the in group.

So Gneiss will see Kalrin as far as the Tower at Wayreth before heading off to... hmm. Maybe to Mount Nevermind, to see if the gnomes know something about Reorx that the dwarves don't.
    Sweet, sounds good. Sorry.

@Annalia: Again, that depends if they're travelling together before or after the pact. But sure, I'm sure they'd love a short visit. Soap jokes for all.

My meager homebrew