New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Graemoore, History Written in Blood (IC)

Ibrahim

Ibrahim grabs the nearest pouch of gold and draws the strings on it, opening it up to look inside. He grins, saying, "Five hundred gold goes a long way to assuaging any argument I have with anyone. And I most definitely am a sellsword - so I'm happy to do the job." He turns to the gnome and does his best to convey sincerity, "Look, Binnar - I'm not going to try and get us all killed. We'll go to this place, do the best we can to complete the mission, and then return and collect our payment. After that, if things are still sour, it's not a problem because we never have to see each other again. That's how I feel."

He swivels back round to face the Dragonborn.

"Grail... I do want an answer to the question that Binnar already asked, though - I can understand how you came by me, but what about the rest of these people? They're obviously not mercenaries."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: This post was originally intended to go immediately after JJ's update; that's when I tried to post it, anyway... but it never came through...))

Brogrunn said nothing at first, and made no move toward a sack of gold. Instead, he stared at the Dragonborn intently, as if weighing his words against some powerful scale...

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like an Insight check if I could please, to see if Brogrunn can tell whether or not Grail's intentions are the same as what he's said they are.

(1d20+7)[10]

At last, the Dwarf seems to make up his mind, speaking quietly, with a voice that sounds like it has been traveling for one day too many.

"So be it. I will aid you in this task, Master Grail; it could well be that I am destined to do so. Just so long as you do not seek these long laid to rest things for mere personal gain." With that, Brogrunn took a bag of gold.

((OOC: Okay, now for post Binnar/Kyra spewing...))

Brogrunn said nothing, even as the gnome interrogated their prospective employer, and the tiefling suddenly burst into confusion and emotion. With a gauntleted hand resting on his warhammer, the Dwarf intoned quietly.

"I will do this, as I have already sworn to do so. If my fate lay on this road, then who am I, a servant, to disobey the Raven Queen?" The Dwarf stepped forward, away from the wall, his eyes glinting in the candlelight, "I will remain by your sides, and the Queen willing, I will be able to help keep you alive... for however long that I may."
    Last edited by MountainKing; 2008-06-07 at 03:45 AM.
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Excidium calmly stands beside Kyra, gently laying his hands on her shoulders to calm her down. "Well it seems Kyra is more than willing to go, I was already convinced at the mention of relics from before when Bahamut struck the continent in half, who knows what forgotten knowledge is down there," he then slowly gets Kyra to sit back down on the bed after taking his own sack of coins.
    Last edited by cRySTaL*NiNjA; 2008-06-07 at 10:15 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra

Do you really mean it? Kyra said softly with wide puppy-dog eyes.

After a moment of silence, she lunged forward and threw her arms around the gruff dwarf, hugging him tightly. Her tail swished about excitedly behind her, even after she released him... and her face seemed to beam with glee.

You're the greatest little hairy man ever! She said excitedly, almost hopping back to Excidium's side.

She plopped back down on the bed, this time, far less upset. Even if the others decided to go, she at least had two companions.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Brogrunn did his best to deal with the tiefling's response with stoicism, remaining quiet as she expressed her joy (indeed, a small part of him feared she would explode if he spoke further) before finally bouncing back to her original place. The Dwarf nods.

"Aye. I am called by the Queen to seek my destiny in her name; those who cross my path are perhaps destined to die... perhaps they are destined to be kept alive a short time longer... and perhaps, ultimately, they are destined to bring my own death... So long as your intentions are pure, Master Grail, I will help as best I can."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    As far as you can tell everything he has said is the complete truth.

"It's quite simple Binnar, my friend."

He reaches into his belt and pulls out a small grey polished stone with smoky black swirls.

"Thisss iss a propheteer'sss 'tone, a holy artifact firssst manufactured by a sect of Pelorianss. It'sss intent it to alleviate suffering. If in plight this item will ssshow you what you need to fix it, and asss it ssso happenss it told me about the four of you." He tosses the small rock at the Gnome, "It alsso hass another purpossse, if you break it and sssprinkle the fragmentsss on sssomeone they will be completely healed, it can cure dissseasessss, even bring back someone from the dead. Thisss will desstory it though."

He moves swiftly back behind his desk and takes a seat, however, either way you ssslice it, you can only use it once. Ssso choosse carefully. If the sstone showsss you sssomething that iss all you will ever sssee from it, it is besst just to passsss it on to another. Conssssider it another enticssement for thiss tasssk, sseeing asss I can no longer ussse it."

"So now you know how and why I came to the conclusssion you all would help me, and everyone hass agreed but you Binnar. Will you help me?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

Binnar catches the stone, looking at its luster. He scratches his chin a little, putting the stone on the table in front of him. His eyes wander from the stone, to the bag, to the dwarf, finally landing on Grail. He reaches out with one hand and picks the Prophet's stone up again, examining it a little. he then stows it away in his pants pocket. He points his rod at Grail, and says, "I will do this. But you still have not explained why you have not done this on your own. It will not effect whether or not I explore beneath the city, but it would be the respectful thing to do and it would very much make me trust this ... job, as it were, a great deal more."

Binnar hops out of the chair, snatching the bag full of money and peering inside. He puts the ebony rod in its slip and stands next to the door. "So, how long until we begin?" He look at all of the people in the room, taking in each individual one by one.

Spoiler
    Show
    EDIT: I will also make an insight check to see if he's being truthful.
    See the OOC thread for the roll.
    Last edited by GnomeNinja; 2008-06-08 at 01:41 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra

Kyra blinked at the coin in her pouch, counting it twice. She looked with even more interest on the stone, reaching out to touch it. She scowled momentarily when the gnome stashed it in his pocket. All was forgotten however, as Grail explained what the stone did. Her mind reeled with the possibilities.

"Wow... it can bring back dead people?" She said in soft amazement. "It must be worth a fortune..."

She beamed as the doubting gnome finally agreed... as well he should, seeing as he pocketed the gem. She made her way over to Exicidium excitedly, her tail swishing back and forth.

"I'm going!" She exclaimed to him with a bright smile, "This is going to be great! Just like in the stories!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Grail leans forward resting his chin in the palm of his hand, "It'sss a long and boring en devour, but you sseem intent on hearing it, you mussst know the whole sstory or I'd have much fear about being misssjudged by you asss well." his fingertips stoke the scales at the end of his gaping maws as he drifts of into the depths of his own mind for a moment...

After a moderate pause he seems to come back from the realm of memories, "Right, exscusse me. Long ago when I wasss but a tad more then a hatchling, a boy of mere forty-three ssseassonssss, I had entered into the ssservice of Bahamut, as all my ssires have sso done, a line that sssstretchess further back then the ssscalesss of Mosolae, the most ancient wyrm among thisss land of Graemoore. A creature so ancient it could recite to you in full detail the days of Bahamut's reckoning upon this land," his voice raises into a dramatic crescendo as he weaves the tail of his own history, and you think it might not be the first time he has done so, "It wass very meager work at first, I ssstarted as nothing more then a lowly ssquire and ssstablehand, asss iss cusstom when one intendssss to enter the righteousss ranks of Bahamut'ss Paladins," his eyes sweep the room glancing over each person as he gauges interest in his tale, or perhaps his ability to tell one.

"I rosse through the ranksss at monumental sspeed, young and brasssh, sso full of life I was eager in my devotion and it sshowed!" his posture now straight up his arms rest flat on the edge of the desk, but he waves them about making proper hand gestures when he reaches a dramatic emphasis, "Sso young then, sso," his eyes lower down for a moment, "sso naive," he adds boldness and flare to his words with an added shake of his head.

"I wass ssuch a fool, to believe in this city and it's inhabitants. Like most I ignored the reality. Buried not sso far beneath this jusssstice, this peace was missery, pain, torment, injusssstice, and sssegregation. It wass sssoon after I had obtained my armor and weapon, implementsss of chivalry they where called, that I wasss ssent to quell a ssmall rebellion down here. A place buried in darkness, and in the mindsss of those who claimed to know jussssstice." His voice holds true grievance, words, and expression betray a normally clam and collective man.

"We had expected to find thugsss and murdesrss as we where told would be sssuch, but to our dissmay all we found where disstraught civiliansss looking for a way out of their missserable exissstence. They had placed minor explosssivess at the bottom of a support plate in the sssouthwest quarter of the ssecond tier, their attemptsss where in vain, and all they could manage wassss to crack the enchanted beam and ssshake the upper quarter a tiny bit. We decided to go against ordersss, and let them go with mere warning," he turns his chair about and gazes out a dust covered window into the darkness surrounding the modest Inn, a move meant to hide his face, but a reflection gives way to the shame weighing in on his expressions.

"It wass then a sssmall child approached me, covered in filth, esssspecially evident in the dirt and tearss caked around her eyessss. I could sssee ssuffering in every move sshe made, in every word she sssspoke. Horrorss, most here could never even claim witnesssss to," he calms himself before turning back around to face everyone, but he offers a nod of small acknowledgment to Binnar before continuing, "Sshe begged me to let her die, but it sssoon became apparent that decission would never be put into my handss as a hail of boltsss rained down into the gathering, no one esscaped. I myssself was hit with sseven misssles, I recall being kicked in the sssnout, and a man with a ssilver ssasssh with a sssmall badge attached to it ssstanding there as he spoke 'Thisss onesss still among the living, he'll make a nice fall guy if he ssssurvivess,' I lost conssscioussnesss again, but I remember waking nearly a week later, ssstripped of my rank, disssowned by both family and church. No one would lisssten to my accusationsss againssst the city, and I didn't really expect them too.

"Not too much later I found myssself sstanding in front of the tribunal, they sspoke at me with anger and conviction, they called it a trial, but I already knew the outcome, and it wass sssso, a guilty verdict sswept acrossss the whole fold of 'em. For the crimess of conssspiracy, military incompetence, and high treassson I was banisshed to the sssouthern tundra, which looked about as pleassssing to me as execution, it wassss practically the sssame idea," he finishes his story with a renewed conviction, although you could tell recalling it was definitely a mentally exhaustive experience for the aging Dragonborn.

"And that isss why I cannot attend to thisss matter with too ..."

A creaking sound permeates the air followed by a barely audible curse, and a medium-sized creature draped in a crimson cloak crosses from one side of the open portal to the other. His boots weighing heavy on the worn-out floor boards, and as from what you could guess is followed by the sounds of tumbling as one loses footing trying to make haste down a flight of stairs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll initiative checks in the OOC thread.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Brogrunn did not hesitate in his response; armor clanking as the Dwarf shifted-to, he charged out of the room and towards the stairs, intent on discovering this man's intentions. Brogrunn felt that Grail was trustworthy, but yet... Binnar had kept the Dragonborn hard pressed with questions. Perhaps, he had missed something, perhaps not. Only the Lady would know.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, that will be a double move, since that's the only thing that's getting me to the top of the stairs as mentioned in the OOC thread.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra

What the...? Kyra said in surprise, turning towards the door as she heard the cloaked figure dashing past. She looked to the dragon-man for but a moment to see what he did, before leaping into action.

[spoilers]Kyra's next action depends on one thing... is there a window in Grail's room to the outside. Since he was waxing poetic about the first tier in the prolouge, I'll imagine there was... but I'm not sure. Thus... there are TWO sets of actions for Kyra.[/spoiler]

If Grail's room has a window to outside.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kyra looked about for a second, spying the open window. Feeling nimble and adventurous, she made a run for it... and jumped into the open frame (or opened it, if it was not... which I'm guessing is a minor action). She then swung herself down... hanging by her hands for a moment before she dropped to the ground.

(Kyra will move from E-14 to the window, and use the other half of her action to climb down the window... which is either a climb or a acrobatics... at DM discretion. I'm guessing that will be a second move action. To make things simple, I'll make just one roll. (1d20)[18] That gives her 23 if it's athletics/climb or 26 if it's acrobatics/tumble)

If there is NO window.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kyra darted towards the door, swaying past anyone in her way nimbly. She will move at a full run... and double move. Going from E-14 to F-16 (top floor) At the top of the stairs, she will yell out.

Stop that man! He tried to rape me!

(I figure that even if no one here does anything to stop him... that will, at least, confuse the living crap out of everyone there. Plus, I put the Chaotic in Chaotic Neutral )
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2008-06-10 at 10:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

When Brogrunn reaches the top of the stairs he sees the man who fell who looks to be unconscious at the bottom of the stairs, and directly behind him is five men in similar garb crossbows lowered ready to shoot the first thing that rounds the corner. Further back stands the barkeep wearing a very grim smile, and with that death seems almost imminent for our dwarven heroin as the strings snap and five bolts wizz there way towards the brave soul.

Luck happens to be on his side as three bolts stick into the wall behind him, but he doesn't escape uninjured as two bolts puncture his abdomen sending a searing pain throughout his entire body for a moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    You do have 50% concealment at the top of the stairs.
    You take 10 dmg from 2 bolts.
    Initiative is reset so that the enemy acts before Brogrunn next round.

Kyra:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes there is a window. There is a roof outside the window first but that would be effortless to get to, so the roll counts from you getting off the roof, and you would succeed making it to the ground unharmed. And you are at I-14 which puts you at 13 squares from the main door. You also see the men inside that shot at Brogrunn through the window. Make a stealth check if you wish to avoid being seen through the window by the bandits.

Grid will be updated with positions.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra

The little tiefling landed on the ground with a soft thud, crouching low and spreading her weight out to make as little noise as possible. She peered in the window... expecting to catch the fleeing man as he tried to leave the building. Instead she saw a small group of armed men downstairs. Nearly yelping in surprise, she crouched back down under the window, hoping they had not seen her.

Stealth roll:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+10)[20]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

You slip under the window sil and remain unnoticed.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Upon hearing the snaps of crossbows as Brogrunn ran out of the room, Excidium moves to a corner of the room and blasts a small hole in the floor with a silver bolt from his fingers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving from E13 - E16, W and uses Magic Missile to punch a hole in the floor at E15. If an attack roll is needed to hit the floor (1d20+4)[6]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for damage?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Spoiler
    Show
    Here ya go (2d4+4)[10]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Your magic bolt strikes the floor and sends splinters flying in all directions, upon examining the damage you think it might take one or two more to break through.

19. - Top - End - #49

Spoiler
    Show
    I put this in the OOOc, but you haven't seen it. JJ, I need to know if I have cover or concealment before I post.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes I seen it and I replied a few hours ago to it.

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler
    Show
    Reactive Stealth (Gnome Racial Ability)
    Stealth: (1d20+2)[6]

Binnar wraps himself in a bit of the shadow surrounding him, moving aside as the dwarf rushes past him. He swirls around and draws his rod as he moves towards the stairs, pointing it ahead of him as he follows Brogrunn. When he hears the bolts connect with the wall and the dwarf’s abdomen, he moves beside him looking down to see how critical the injury is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Double move B13-F16, South
    Warlock Curse's the closest opponent (assumed to be cloaked figure)
    The move also raises his Shadow Walk, giving him concealment.
    Last edited by GnomeNinja; 2008-06-11 at 10:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Ibrahim runs after the others, stopping in the doorway to motion to Grail for help in the fight. He stops just short of the stairs, pressing himself against the wall and looking to the injured dwarf.

Spoiler
    Show

Double move to E17

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Grail moves to the bed and takes up spear and shield, as he mutters "Ssserve me well," before heading out the room behind Ibrahim.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moves from e-14 to d-15 to pick up items, then from d15 to A15.
    double move action, minor action to pickup items, and free action to speak.

One of the bandits shouts "Fire at will!", and they all take to loading their weapons before unleashing another barrage on their new found quarry, the unlucky gnome. Bolts start whizzing past Binnar, but two of them manage to graze him.

Spoiler
    Show
    You get hit by 2 bolts for 2 damage. o.O Man that was the unluckiest rolls I have ever seen. Grids are updated.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Brogrunn grunted as the bolts slammed into him, piercing his heavy armor, but he made no other sound. Leveling his gaze on the men before him, he drew his shield and hammer, before beginning to take the stairs slowly.

"Our destinies are now joined. I know not who you are, but one of us is destined to leave this world," the Dwarf intoned, his voice ringing like a low, heavy knell as he advanced down the stairs.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know if I'm close enough to be attacking or not, but it looks like I'm close enough to issue a Divine Challenge, which I will do so on the closest conscious bandit. Drawing shield and hammer as my minor action, using my move action to get in close if necessary.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Excidium mutters to himself in frustration before loosing another silver bolt at the same spot on the floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Missile on E15 again,
    (1d20+4)[17] to hit
    (2d4+4)[9] damage

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Kyra

Spoiler
    Show
    My post, as it often does, has a few what-if's in it. For instance, since I could see inside from out, I assume there is no shutter... and since glass is A: expensive, B: probably often broken down here in the slums, and C: not needed, as the upper tier would block all the rain... I'm assuming that the window has sutters that are open, and there is nothing impeding her from jumping through the opening. If I'm off, please correct me and I will edit this post.

Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap! The young tiefling thought to herself, as she peered into the building. Her new group was in a bad spot.

Looking about for a moment, she tried not to panic... pulling a knife from it's place at the small of her back. This was why she carried the things, after all. She winced as she saw two shots hit her new dwarven friend. He seemed to be still standing... but he was outnumbered.

This is what heroes do! She reminded herself, trying to keep her hand from trembling, I can do this!

With one last moment to gather her courage, Kyra gripped her knife backhand, steeled herself, and leaped! She jumped through the open window gracefully, lannding on the other side in a crouch and slashing at the back of one of the men's knees with her knife. She tarried only a moment there... not even long enough to see if her strike had done it's deed, before she sprinted away from him, past the leader, and rolled over the bar to take cover... crouching again behind her cover, knife in hand... prepared to defend herself.

Spoiler
    Show
    In summary, Kyra is using deft strike to move from I-14 to I-13, then move diagonally through the window to H-12, and slash her opponent... whom I'm hoping she has advantage against, since he does not know she's there. Then she will normal move to the left and swerve around the boss (who gets an AoO, but I'm hoping has no melee weapon out to use on her... or that he'll miss due to her artful dodger perk). She will end her move by rolling over the bar (I'm guessing that's the bar) at E-10, landing in E-11 behind cover... so that they'll have to approach her to attack, and turn their back on the group.

This is a crazy amount of movement in one turn... but that does seem to be the rogue's thing... so I'm hoping I can pull it off. Here are my rolls! For her acrobatics or athletics checks (not sure which is applicable) she'll take ten if she can, giving her a 19 or 15 respectively. If I can't take ten, use the rolls made below.

Athletics: (1d20+5)[24]
    Acrobatics: (1d20+9)[21]
    To hit: (1d20+9)[25]
    Damage (if she hits): (1d4+3)[7]
    Sneak Attack (if applicable) (2d6)[8]

Holy crap that's a lot of rolls. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2008-06-14 at 05:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Spoiler
    Show
    First of all, sorry for getting this up so late. Car crash.
    Also, the forums are evil and are having problems.
    Second of all, I make a few assumptions here, and at one point it breaks into two scenarios. One assumption is that jumping over or slipping through the railing of the stairs is difficult terrain, as is the edge of the bar, for simplicity. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Binnar reels a little from the crossbow bolts, cursing once in Elvish. He glares at the bandits, pointing his hand at the unconscious one and firing a blast of bright black energy at him. "This will happen to you if you do not cease, fools."
    He then runs down the stairs, slipping between two posts in the stair railing. He looks back at the bandits and sees the rogue crash through the window and take several quick strikes at a bandit. He sneers, jumping kipping up a little and sliding across the bar counter, as shadows wrap around him. He snaps his fingers, and a curse falls upon the closest enemy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eldritch Blast on unconscious bandit - Attack (1d20+5)[14] <bandit takes -5 to defenses> vs. Ref - Damage (1d10+4)[11], (1d6)[6] for Curse
    Move G17 - E16 S, Shadow Walk grants concealment
    Warlock's Curse bandit 5

If unconscious bandit died
    Spoiler
    Show
    Binnar feels a opening in the world as the bandit dies, a little hole to be exploited. He draw power from this hole, and faces the nearest bandit. "I dare you to get me, fool", he says as he waves his hand white and black light flashing in front of the man for a second.

Action Point - Dire Radiance on bandit 5 - Attack (1d20+6)[19] vs. Fort - Damage (1d6+3)[4], (1d6)[5] for Curse <if the man moves closer, he takes 1d6 + 3 damage as well.>
    If unconscious bandit lives
    Spoiler
    Show
    Binnar turns around, seeing his allies and enemies sparring. He sees the tiefling behind the counter as well, and says, "Came from nowhere. We must leave one to be questioned.
    Last edited by GnomeNinja; 2008-06-20 at 09:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Ibrahim

Ibrahim slips into concentration and follows down the stairs without thinking, drawing his shield and longsword as he goes. At the last few steps, he moves off to the side and swings a fast slash towards Brogrunn's opponent, putting his whole body behind the cut and opening up the man for a subsequent attack. The dwar'f's intonation has set a paean running through his head, half-remembered from his feywild days.

Spoiler
    Show

Moving into combat with the same bandit as Brogrunn and using Hammer & Anvil, provided I'm in range.

My attack:
    (1d20+6)[7]
    (1d8+3)[10]