New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Planar Olympics (IC)

Hallia

[spoiler]I cast Heroism (keeping track of time on my sheet) and head back in.

ROUND 1

5-foot step, full attack.

To hit: (1d20+3)[12]
    Damage: (1d10-1)[5]
    To hit: (1d20-2)[7]
    Damage: (1d10-1)[4]

ROUND 2

Full attack.

To hit: (1d20+3)[5]
    Damage: (1d10-1)[9]
    To hit: (1d20-2)[14]
    Damage: (1d10-1)[2]

OOC: How long does the entering arena/fighting/possible prize recieving take?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Cac-kt

"Well, I'm not planning on using them. And I'm sure nobody would buy it!" Cac-kt laughs with a clack of his mandibles, and turns to look over the balcony, to watch people.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Cac-kt

"Huh, well... I guess that'll work, but you may as well dump it down a hole if you don't have a use for bottled venom."

Hallia

Spoiler
    Show

There is always the quarter staff... it does less damage per hit, but since wizards are proficient with them there is no penalty for using them.

I can take those rolls, or you can add +4 to all the attacks and reroll the damage as 1d8-1.

Ugly Panda

Spoiler
    Show

Ah, then knock a round off the completion time to finish with 12 seconds left: over a third of the total available time. (You're still starting human: it's hard for Dire Apes to stand in line, although you're welcome to a diplomacy check if you want to try and claim those extra 3 seconds too.

Ehm,

"And we have a winner! Congratulations, that was quite the comback. Here's your commemorative dart, and please indicate if your preference of competing in or viewing for each of the mundane and magical events."
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-09-04 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Eating Crow.

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: Regular Ape. Essentially a small Gorilla or large Orangutan.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quarterstaff it is.

Damage rolls: (1d8-1)[1]
    (1d8-1)[0]
    (1d8-1)[4]
    (1d8-1)[5]
    I wonder if, when the comic eventually ends, people on the boards will continue for several years to say that it's not actually over yet...

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

TheCleric: The muse has left the building. Ballad is running late.

Hallia

Spoiler
    Show

RatAttack - (1d20+4)[11] Damage - (1d4)[3]
    RatAttack - (1d20+4)[8] Damage - (1d4)[4]

This rat is a bit feistier: as soon as it hits the ground leaps in a snarling furry at the first humanoid it sees: you. Your first swing at the angry rodent connects, but inflicts minimal damage (1 point) and the rat doesn't slow. Your next two swings are even less effective, but your fourth swing hits solidly with a crunch leaving the rat in a limp semi-conscious state on the floor.

"And we have a new grand champion! Tell me, do you wish to keep the rat or take a commemorative dagger?"

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hallia

"I'll take the dagger."

OOC: How long did that take? I've still got a lot of time on my heroism.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Alexis

"I'll watch mundane, compete in the magical."

OOC: Oops, sorry. I forgot to write that.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Cac-kt

Cac-kt stand on the edge of the balconey, looking over at the people running around. "So. Tell me more about the competitions around here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    After hearing about them, Cac-kt will ask for information about the Obstacle Course.

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Cac-kt
    "Heh, events? This is a fair! You name it and we probably have it. Games of skill, exotic shows, demonstrations, and "
    *Bong* the guard is interrupted as a gong toils out the hour.
    "That's are que, the legal advisor board you're supposed to to attend starts in 10 minutes. Let's get you there so you can get a good seat (and I discharge my duty)"

Alexis
    "Excellent, then place your mark here and here... good. Are you attempting any of the other championship events?"

Hallia (about 15 minutes from the time you cast the spell to when you leave the booth with the dart, and yes it is a dart (the sign was correct, the dagger mention was a typo on me))

"Here you go my man, and if you'll just place your mark here if you want a free viewing pass for the Melee Grand Challenge, or here if you want to try your luck as a participant and you can be on your way to enjoy your stay here."

Leosera ((I'm activating the DM wand of temporal disruption here: I haven't made any more progress on the ballad, but don't want to hold you up any longer from the fair. I'll post whatever I have come October, sooner if I actually finish. As such, I'm sniping out the hour running from the end of the first act to when you exit the venue))

And so the performers ends with the participants all giving a bow. Some of the patrons leave in small knots commenting over the show while others approach the stage to speak with the performers or give coins to the tip jar.

A few minutes later and you find yourself blinking in the sun light as a distant gong sounds the hour.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-09-21 at 03:27 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Alexis

"If I have nothing better to do those days." She then gives a slight giggle.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Cac-kt

"Great! Let's go. Do you want to see me again after? I'd like to see Flouder as well some time, but I don't think his mother would like that..."

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Alrighty. Now, what were we doing? I don't really remember...

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

(We can only enter 3 events, right?)

Hallia

I'll enter it.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Hallia
    (While you may enter up to four events, an individual may only advance in three)

Leosera
    The general idea is 1) enjoy the fair and 2) visit all qualification booths you are interested in. I believe you picked up a map, so if you name a location you can find it.

Cac-kt
    At the Public Advisory:
    "...And so in summery... " The speaker drones on summarizing laws that frequently trouble new visitors. The speaker, a half-elf woman in rich dress, is addressing a small crowed of two dozen at most who appear to be a mix of confused visitors, noble retainers, and merchants all seeking information on fine legalistic details.

High Points of the speech
    Spoiler
    Show

*Magical curses shall be considered bodily injury.
    *Persons who inflict injury or thieve must pay thrice the cost in reparation or forfeit body and/or soul to auction. Repeat offenders may, at magistrates discretion, forfeit additional possessions of no limit up to including body and soul.
    *Anyone who causes a performance or sale to be hindered by excessive noise or behavior shall be charged with Disturbing the Peace and fined up to 3 gold plus half the value of the disrupted events or transactions.
    *All creatures with an Int of 4 or less must have a guardian who takes full responsibility for said creatures actions.
    *Repeat kidnappers shall at the discretion of the law be striped of all possessions and sold as slaves.
    *No creature of Gargantuan size or larger is permitted in the fairground.
    *Poisons must be licensed. Possessors of unlicensed poison may be required to consume said poison.
    *Flying is probated without license.
    *All sales and transactions must be made by a licensed salesman and subject to tax.
    *Injury inflicted to assist in the apprehension of a criminal shall be fined no more than equal cost, a cost which may be waved at a senior officers discretion.
    *Scrying of any form is prohibited and subject to fines up to double cost of admission to all fair ground events.
    *Evil and Chaotic Outsiders as well as undead must register prior to entry, as must aberrations and snakes.
    *Sales of the Blood or flesh of any sentient forbidden except as relates to criminal disposal.
    *Conjured food may not be sold.
    *Non-sanctioned weather magic is prohibited on pain of drowning.
    *Smoke, fog effects, and illumination alterations must be sanctioned, or the offender shall be liable for all injury and thefts that occur in the duration.
    *Intelligent items must pay price of admission to the fare and all events in addition to any current possessor.

"...in short other than the new law against obstructing designated roads the rules are the same as the last event. Any questions?"

Alexia
    The man smiles and looks up at you (he's in his late middle age and is probably a local hired to help with the fair) and gives a small laugh of his own. Well there's always the shows and the shopping of course, but I'll be happy to give directions to one of our other challenge booths. What else are you looking to do?

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Alexis

She begins counting with her fingers as she speaks. "Well let's see, I beat up a rat, shot some stuff full of arrows, and climbed up that tower twice. What's left?"

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

17. - Top - End - #137

DwarfClericGuy

LEOSERA

"How about accompanying me to get something to eat?" A voice sounds from behind Alexis upon her query of 'what's left'.
    Apparently he's there now, wandering around, looking for things to do when he catches sight of a fetching young lady, begins to approach her and fits in what he believes to be a very clever and well timed flirt/invitation.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hallia

I think I'll look for a place to eat. I feel like chicken.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Alexis
    "Welll, discounting all the common dunking booths, ring tosses, and such sounds like the only real challenge you've missed is the barrel ride, assuming ridding interests a gall like you."

Leosera Ah, sorry, but Alexis is in the private back room as it were. However, if you wish to pay to view the tower climb you could easily have seen her and be waiting outside to congratulate her on her success, or you could have do the challenge yourself (without a preview) and thus have walked in on them to finalize your own reward.

Halia
    Food: the fair is full of food. Roasted nuts, imported fruits, baked potatoes and more can be found on the corners. There is even one booth serving roasted rat to those who want a more personal vengeance on the rodents after the Wac-a-Rat challenge. For avian there are two establishments that come recommended. Soup Stand offers a watery chicken and potato soup with crackers that comes cheap at 7cps, but the best taste for the coin has to be the Emu Butcher that offers a rich Emu Salad or a massive fried drumstick steaming hot (probably actually turkey but still much larger than a chicken's) for a mere 2 and half silvers.

Also, If you want a real fancy place where stewards will wait on you, the Entourage can serve almost anything very well, but at 2 gold a head entry fee, plus food, it's not for the budget conscientious.
    Last edited by Psionic Dog; 2008-09-27 at 08:52 PM.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Alexis

"Don't discount my skill at anything! I'll go there to see how quickly I can win." Alexis prepares to storm out, then remembers. "Umm, what are the directions?" she says sheepishly.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-09-27 at 09:10 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hallia

Oops. I've just realised that I have 105 minutes of heroism left.

I'll ask someone for directions to Barrel Shootout.

22. - Top - End - #142

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Figures when I take a liberty and try somethin' without be absolutely sure of the surroundings, it'd be too wrong to work over.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Cac-kt

Cac-kt listens intently to the hearing, and, at the end raises his hand. "I have a question. Can I see Flounder again?"

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

TheCleric
    Spoiler
    Show

Huh?

I thought that's what I posted, a "work over."

Anyway, the problems with the last action were:
    • Declaring a new location. A relatively minor issue, but it works best to state the means and intent rather than claim a result.

• Declaring Extra Knowledge. Again not a major issue, but it helps to keep player and character knowledge somewhat separate.

• Setting conflict: In a game of cooperative story telling I'm happy to readjust the setting when it's not explicit, although some concessions may be requested to help keep the background and world mechanics smooth. Again, a minor issue.

Anyone of the above could have been hand-waved with minimal changes, but compound complicated issues quickly become complex major issues even if the initial pieces were all minor.

Advice for the future:
    A) Take smaller steps: moving from outside a theater into a conversation inside a challenge booth halfway across the fair ground takes more than a single line of text.

B) Declare intents and direct actions. The less guess work and gray I read the more likely your attempts will meet clear success or memorable IC obstacles.

C) If you want to work something complex out, PM me. I check my PM's frequently and would be happy to work with you to achieve something you think is pure awesome.

Cac-kt
    Half the crowd turns to look at you. The speaker looks confused for a moment, and looks at a bookish-scholar who only looks confused back. After a brief moment she says: "Ah, I'm not familiar with this 'Floundar.' That question would be better asked of either the marshals or the information department. Any other questions?"

(If you don't have any other questions the session ends 10 minutes later after a few of the other delegates ask for interpretations of obscure legal codes or recent rulings against others in their business.)

Hallia
    Between your stained map and and a few friendly gossips you soon find your way to the Barrel Shootout.

Alexis
    "Oh, its just on the other side of the Central Plaza, South East corner."

Hallia and Alexis

You soon come a cross a big sign. It looks like you found the place.
    Bucking Barrel Shootout
    Try for 4sp or view for 2cp!
    Grand Prizes: Free Attendance or Participation at Olympic Trial Obstacle Courses plus commemorative dart.
    Standard Prize: Dart only.
    Grand prize awarded for breaking all 3 pots, standard for breaking two. Limit one prize per individual. Maximum 2 tries allowed to achieve grand prize. Viewing limited to two attempts per purchase.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Alexis

OOC: Same as usual. Pay to watch, then pay to play.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2008-10-07 at 11:08 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Cac-kt

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is my friendly Hobgoblin friendguard still around? Or anyone else I know for that matter?

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

OK... How long does that take me? Gonna watch, then participate.

28. - Top - End - #148

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah no no don't worry about, I just wanna play. Apologies. What could I sensibly be doing?

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

LEOSERA

Nail Hill Reenactment (this is as complete as it ever will be)
    Spoiler
    Show

You are ushered into an aery pavilion. Instead of chairs the patrons have their choice of hide covered benches or fluffy cushions on the floor. Cool water is complimentary as is a small loaf of spice bread. Wine, cheese, and fruit are available for extra (1gp small serving, 5gp platter). Perhaps 35 others join you in the pavilion to watch the coming show. Most are human, but there is a smattering of other humanoids, including one ornately clad cloud giant under the effects of a compression spell.

Before you stands a low wooden platform, with curtains on the three sides not facing the audience. A bard comes out and sits on the edge of it holding a beautiful stringed instrument. For several minutes he plays a slow wistfully melody as a two more stragglers enter and are seated in the back.

"A tale you wish to hear I see." The bard suddenly begins. "A tale you shall receive, no it is more than a tale." He continues slowly still playing. "An epic ballad of valor with as much lore as glamor you shall hear, and even see. The Battle of Nail Hill we now present to thee!"

At this point the bard suddenly stands and tosses his instrument aside, but the music does not end: a drum and lonely woodwind off stage start their own haunting melody.

"Nail hill, you must understand, was more than a simple, single, hill: greater still than its old iron mine, for gold struck and rubies were found, thin yet assuredly there. All this that stood below the Humnaheims, that dwarven realm of the Emerald Mountains tall and above the rocky Gnarlwood forest that BloodFist, the goblin chieftain king, had claimed. For years a human buffer town lived between the foes, and hilltop tower built as well. But! when the pox came through and men moved on that hill, tower crowned, stood on. Contested ground it surely was and those goblins moved in quick, but with gold at stake and an encroaching foe the dwarves could not look mildly on: A dwarf march took war to old nail hill."

ohHOOOWWWN

A horn blares as the bard delivers the final line and the air behind the stage shimmers before settling into the illusion of a ruin-strewed grassy hill with a dark wood in the background to the left and majestic mountains to the right. A quartet of dwarves of and a half-dozen goblins appear as well, with three real dwarves and four real goblins also stepping on stage as well.

"And thus that battle began!" the bard suddenly screams while the two sides lunge at each-other. The goblins open with a volley of javelins, and the dwarves reply with crossbows before the two sides before the two forces met with a clash of shields, axes, and maces. The reenactors are all fighting defensively and pulling blows to avoid lethal strikes, but they are truly fighting. As a combatant falls they are pushed off the back of the stage, and a few seconds later they reenter again from the wings as if fresh units in a massive struggle. Nearly two minutes slowly tick past before a worg with an elaborately decorated goblin rider enters the stage as well as a buff dwarf in gleaming armor. The bardic narrator also reappears striding amount the still fighting combatants and new challengers.

"The goblins, 200 strong with worg allies besides fought as one under RawBreath's banner against IronFist and his 150 souls." The bard continues as the two new combatants join against the other in a swirling frenzy, and the bard continues into a genealogy and listing of others of fame: a still contrast to the beating drums and clash of steal elsewhere.

After two more minutes of reeling and fighting the goblin leader is knocked out and dragged halfway across the stage by his battered mount. "With time, a full hour more than you see today, IronFist and his kin began to prevail, but then! Then that lizard, RustingBreath, a great dragon huge in size, it rose forth to claim both tattered sides and battered hill as it's own sprawling prize!" At this note everyone turns to face stage left where in a flash of swirling light an illusionary green dragon appears with a roar.

"Battered yes but dead no the ancient foes turned a new as heros rallied forth, to join together in fragile piece: a truce at nail hill thus born." At this the bard hops off the stage and a steady drum beat begins to grow as the a cleric heals the fallen RawBreath who claps hands with IronFist as the two lead a charge against the dragon.

Round and round the mortals fought, scattered and regrouped until at last the the overwhelmed dragon was pulled down, but the fighting paused only long enough for a dirty and bleeding IronFist to raise his banner in victory, while RawBreath swong a heavy mace against the dwarf from behind.

"The dragon dead, the battle not, the fighting raged a-new, as goblin treachery slew anew the truce on the bloody hill." The bard finishes as a mist settles across the stage. "The dwarves were beaten back, and goblins all did flee, but both call the dreadful day at least a partial victory.

Today there stands a distant hill a few brave prospectors dare try, but every night the hills sing woe and the ghosts arise again: for none have told these restless ones there foe no longer stands
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Psionic Dog View Post
    And so the performers ends with the participants all giving a bow. Some of the patrons leave in small knots commenting over the show while others approach the stage to speak with the performers or give coins to the tip jar.
    "Now That was entertainment, much better than the watching those noisy fools at the barrel shootout you took me to!" one snobbish noble woman loudly tells the gentleman she was with.

Cac-kt
    ((Ah, sorry. Forgot to add this line.))
    You relize the friendly hoboblin guard who was assigned to you made a quiet exit shortly after the advisory started. You don't recognize anyone else either for that matter. When it ends, you will be free to go.

Hallia, Alexia
    PM's coming latter today.

I assume this is the usual 1 viewing for Alexia and 2 viewings for Hallia?

It will be 5-10 minutes per viewing setting, 10-20 minutes per competitive attempt.

My Homebrew.

Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yep. I like monkeys.