Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Nexus University IC

Markus quickly steps over into a transporter.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

So does John
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

And Jim, of course.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No, puppyavenger, the elf wanted tot talk to you for some reason.
    Mark looks at the elf, his mouth agape, "Sir, I'm an undergrad, as I said. Did this not strike you as odd as well?" He turns the key in his hand over, and then asks, "Will this even take me to where I need to go?" He brushed a strand of hair out of his face, looking at the elf while tryiholding his anger back.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Realising what the gnome had said.Soo, how exactly do I get back to my room?
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

7. - Top - End - #67
    Barbarian in the Playground

Peter Volokhev

Throughout the course of the students introducing themselves, Peter stays out of the way, observing instead of interacting. He doesn't hide or anything of the sort; when the chairs are summoned he sits, he stands in the crowd, and he gathers with everyone else to collect the keys. He just doesn't do much to actively interact with the others.

But what he observes is very interesting.

The rock creature has a mind structure extremely alien to Peter. The teetotaler has a central mind with thousands in orbit around it, small barriers erected between the central one and the outer ones. Those two were the most interesting that he saw, but he took a cursory glance at the minds of every student there.

As soon as the keys are offered, he walks over and takes one, stepping onto the teleportation pad's surface immediately thereafter.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry I took so long to post. My power was out for a few days, followed by an actual university orientation, but I'm good to go now.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

8. - Top - End - #68

OOC: Onto the transporter then, I guess.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC

[/spoiler]Sorry about the delay. My original writings were deleted an I had a bout of writer's block before I finally got this out. Enjoy[/spoiler]

The transporter pulls you along the infinite avenues of the University. The journey has the disconcerting feel of at once standing in place and moving at great speed. Here and there you see circles in the darkness about you, showing various scenes - classrooms, empty plains - and more exotic locales - long beaches of glittering white sand under strange stars, a pier reaching out into a boundless ocean while playful sea creatures frolic about it, the water in which they swim reflecting the light of other planets in the dim twilight sky as a lone figure looks out over the water. A ship sailing across a storm-wracked sea. A desert of black sand with a gibbous moon looking down, giving the entire expanse an eldritch glow. But after some length of time, you emerge...

Coin

Spoiler
    Show

Your particular journey seems to take an unusually large time compared to the one you experienced earlier. As you move farther and farther along, you see fewer and fewer portals, and they lead into more and more unusual places. In some, the sky and the grounds eem to have switched places, and in others, there seems no seperation at all. In some, you can see nothing. Perhaps they are sealed, but at last you emerge...

Into the light. all there is is light. No, that's not correct.. there's light, true enough, but the only reason that it is all you see is because it is all there is. you're drifting, peacefully in a vast expanse of infinite white. No features mar it. Despite the absence of anything, however, this place does not feel dead... merely waiting.

At last, you hear a sound behind you. A sharp, clicking sound like tiny, purposeful hammerblows. As you turn, you see a woman advancing on you, somehow striding forward despite the lack of anything to stand on. Looking at her features, she could be a model - even in the plain, even severe dark grey dress she wears, it's plain that she has a stunning figure. However, looking at her face leaves no doubt that she's a teacher. Something in the firm set of the sculpted jawline gives it away.

Control, young man... something absolutely necessary for a person of your potential... yet something you have a shocking lack of. She speaks without any preamble, adding as an afterthought I'm professor Thorpe. You'll be working for me, and I'll be trying to teach you something

Mark

Spoiler
    Show

Your journey passes fairly swiftly, and you find yourself settled in a large, leather armchair before a comfortable fire. The air in the room is warm and comforting, and smells of old books and comfortable use, with perhaps a tinge of cherry pipe-smoke. A rotund, elderly gentleman looks up from where he was, until a moment ago, reading a thick tome and smoking a pipe, the aroma of which was, indeed cherry flavored. He looks you over for a moment before speaking up in a gruff but not unfriendly voice.

Who're you? ah, yes, bless me, slipped my mind.... young lad they were sending over, whazzit, student, eh? He smiles good-naturedly Excellent. Thaddeus Q. Mapleton, Esquire. Professor of applied linguistics and Thaumotology. I understand you're to be my student for this year or semester or whatever they have at the moment, eh?

Markus

Spoiler
    Show

You spend some time in transit, and it seems to you that most of the places you pass seem to be training grounds - or workshops. It is into one of these that you emerge, finding yourself in a vast storage hanger - so high, in fact, that the roof would disappear into darkness if not for the vast array of lights hanging. Staring straight up at the ceiling, and the lights hung therein, is like staring up at the stars. But more impressive even than the size is what the hangar contains - dozens, if not hundreds of different mecha, running from sleek, elegant war machines to massive, baroque constructions that appear to have castles or cathedrals stuck atop them, to even stranger constructions - one, for example, appears to be made of living crystal, while another looks like a steamwork monstrosity - all brass and guild, levers, wheels, steam and sparks

A gruff, grizzled man in a flight jacket approaches you. He has several scars running accross his face, and he chomps a cigar as he gives you a long, steady stare. After a moment, he grunts at you

Eh, you must be this Markus kid, eh? Well lucky you... you get to run with me. You're my new assistant. I expect you to work yer butt of kid. But if ya do, I'll make you the best damn pilot yer world's ever seen. With me so far?

Jonersinesphirthin

Spoiler
    Show
    To no surprise, you find yourself back in your room. Well, there are no classes today, so you can feel free to do as you like. Visit off campus, go shopping, or just spend time goofing off. It's your choice.

Jim

Spoiler
    Show

The space you eventually find yourself in can only be described as epic. You're standing on a simple metal platform, on which sits a desk, behind which a woman in glasses peers at you over the top of them for a moment before speaking into what appears to be an intercom. But your eyes are elsewhere. All around you, in every direction, are books. Legions of books, miles and miles of books reaching off into empty space. Each in its place, organized by topic, author name, and world of origin... more knowledge than anyone could absorb in a thousand lifetimes. Between the shelves flit figures, some obviously students, others seem to be professors. Gravity, it seems, has no hold here.

As you turn about, you find a handsome, smartly dressed woman staring at you with a small smirk on her painted ruby lips. you would be Jim, eh? Well, they told me that you wanted to know everything... this seemed like a good place to start. Welcome to the library.

Peter

Spoiler
    Show
    You find yourself in something that looks like it came out of either a pulp novel or a comic book - the typical mad scientist's lair. Beakers bubble, Tesla coils rise like sinister towers with arcs of blue-white electricity sparking between them, and from the shadows comes a mad laughter - albeit cone capped by a hacking cough and a faint apology.

A tall, thin man in laboratory goggles and a white coat strides like a phantom out of the gloom, his thick black rubber gloves still dripping something sticky. his hawk-like eyes look you over for a moment, and his pointed face grins at you. Ah, my new assistant! So very good of you to come! I understand you're interested in... the mind, yes? well, that happens to be my area of expertise. I hope you're comfortable with getting your hands dirty, my lad.

Geode

Spoiler
    Show

The destination at which you arrive has, at least, a grand view - you appear to be on the bridge of a starship, the entire long, curved wall in front of you a transparent display. you find yourself on a raised platform, next to a pale-skinned creature with huge, dark eyes, pointed ears, and long-fingered, two-jointed hands, dressed in a simple robe embroidered with flowing, hypnotic designs that pulse and change with many hues. It looks up at you with a gentle smile on its face.

Ah... good day to you. You would be the new student I've been expecting, yes? So good to meet you it is. Now, I'm given to understand that you have been working with energy fields as of late. Tell me about that.

Mike

Spoiler
    Show

You emerge from the tunnel in a room filled with flickering lights. It appears to be a practice range, where spellcasters fling all variety of offensive magics at mobile targets arranged on a large, open field that rapidly repairs itself. Striding accross the lawn towards you is a short, stumpy dwarf, rapidly muttering to himself in his own language. At last he arrives and looks up at you, his hands on his hips.

You're my new graduate assistant, eh? Well, we'll see about that. Yer' application form says that you've had a great deal o' trainin and natr'l talent, but the page where it describes what yer' here for is a wee bit singed. So, what kind o' magic did ye come here ta learn about, lad?

Last edited by WhiteKnight777; 2008-06-15 at 12:25 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight777 View Post
    Peter

Spoiler
    Show
    You find yourself in something that looks like it came out of either a pulp novel or a comic book - the typical mad scientist's lair. Beakers bubble, Tesla coils rise like sinister towers with arcs of blue-white electricity sparking between them, and from the shadows comes a mad laughter - albeit cone capped by a hacking cough and a faint apology.

A tall, thin man in laboratory goggles and a white coat strides like a phantom out of the gloom, his thick black rubber gloves still dripping something sticky. his hawk-like eyes look you over for a moment, and his pointed face grins at you. Ah, my new assistant! So very good of you to come! I understand you're interested in... the mind, yes? well, that happens to be my area of expertise. I hope you're comfortable with getting your hands dirty, my lad.
    Peter Volokhev

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, that really depends on what I'm going to be dirtying them with," says Peter with a smile. He cranes his neck to get a better view of all of the devices and experiments in the room, hoping to spot a label on something in order to help him better understand what anything is.

"I'm okay with dirt and blood, but I would rather not get anything toxic on them," he says, still smiling and clearly not serious. He takes a look at the (presumed) professor and tries to bring up a display in his own vision of the (presumed) professor's mind. "My name is Peter Volokhev," he says, extending his hand and hoping that the custom of shaking hands is common to both of their origins.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

11. - Top - End - #71
    Colossus in the Playground

Jim

Spoiler
    Show

The space you eventually find yourself in can only be described as epic. You're standing on a simple metal platform, on which sits a desk, behind which a woman in glasses peers at you over the top of them for a moment before speaking into what appears to be an intercom. But your eyes are elsewhere. All around you, in every direction, are books. Legions of books, miles and miles of books reaching off into empty space. Each in its place, organized by topic, author name, and world of origin... more knowledge than anyone could absorb in a thousand lifetimes. Between the shelves flit figures, some obviously students, others seem to be professors. Gravity, it seems, has no hold here.

As you turn about, you find a handsome, smartly dressed woman staring at you with a small smirk on her painted ruby lips. you would be Jim, eh? Well, they told me that you wanted to know everything... this seemed like a good place to start. Welcome to the library.

Spoiler
    Show

"Ah, the Library. Could have guessed.", Jim says, with a smile on his face, looking over the endless rows of books.
    "I am indeed Jim. And who would you be?"
    A little bow of the head, a vague gesture with the hand, and a very broad smile accompany this sentence.
    "Anyway, going by the size of this place, even attempting to know everything in here would be rather pointless, wouldn't it? I guess I should attempt to get at least a general overview of part of it, instead. At least for now."

Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteKnight777 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Your journey passes fairly swiftly, and you find yourself settled in a large, leather armchair before a comfortable fire. The air in the room is warm and comforting, and smells of old books and comfortable use, with perhaps a tinge of cherry pipe-smoke. A rotund, elderly gentleman looks up from where he was, until a moment ago, reading a thick tome and smoking a pipe, the aroma of which was, indeed cherry flavored. He looks you over for a moment before speaking up in a gruff but not unfriendly voice.

Who're you? ah, yes, bless me, slipped my mind.... young lad they were sending over, whazzit, student, eh? He smiles good-naturedly Excellent. Thaddeus Q. Mapleton, Esquire. Professor of applied linguistics and Thaumotology. I understand you're to be my student for this year or semester or whatever they have at the moment, eh?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Used to the teleportation system, Mark does a small turn at the end to avoid losing his balance. When he sees the old, rotund man, he walks forward to him, trying to be as quiet as possible to avoid disturbing his reading. When the man sets his book down, Mark visibly relaxes.

Mark shifts the messenger bag at his side as the elderly gentleman speaks. An absent-minded, quirky professor, obviously, but those kinds were certainly interesting. He smiles as the man finishes, and takes a seat in a nearby wooden chair. "I think they've been using the semester system for a good 11 and a half years, but like everythign here, it's fairly morphic. My name is Mark Neric, second-semester undergaduate student. It's a pleasure to meet you, Professor Mapleton." He nods his head, asking, "Esquire? A lawyer practicing magic and the sciences? That's fairly unique." He then remembers the elf's mistaking him for a grad student, and adds, with a concerned look drowing on his face, "You did know I was an undergraduate, correct? Because there seems to be a bit of a mix-up recently."
    Last edited by GnomeNinja; 2008-06-15 at 12:09 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

John
    Spoiler
    Show

Shrugging, he go's through his normal routine of setting up the various traps and alarms than leaves the plane to the nearest plane that has an entertainment industry.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Mike:

Spoiler
    Show

zSorry about the singes sir, paper that touches me tends to do that. I'm here to learn about fire magic by the way sir. I'm a salamander, so learning to control a flame is natural...Its almost an extension of my body now. So what do you wish me to do? I'm up for pretty much anything.

Go Tigers!

15. - Top - End - #75

Geode scrutinizes the being for a moment before settling his stone sphere down. With a hefty blow to it's top, it falls into four quarters, revealing several apparatusses. Geode picks one up and strokes a stone finger across it. A bluish sphere of transparent light eminates from the device as it is activated.

Passing his hand through the shell
    It is not too spectacular when it is dormant, but when the tachyon field becomes agitated...I will show you.

Geode picked up one of the stone pieces left from the sphere and brought it down onto the tachyon shell. There was a loud WHUNG as the shell flashed bright blue on the point that was struck.

However, it cannot hold for long under stress before dissapating.

16. - Top - End - #76

Spoiler
    Show
    By the way, Geode will change shape to adapt to the lower gravity environment over the course of a couple of hours. Eleven fingers per hand, thiner limbs, more legs and a longer, thiner body should compensate for the low-G environment. By the way, is this still up?

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

so..is this dead?
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I think so. The more I try to work out plots, the more things slip through my grasp. If anyone wants to take things over, however, I'm welcome. My fault, really... I'm good at concepts, but frankly I tend to be a terrible DM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I hope this doesn't die, but I think I figured it would. This would be really hard to work out for separate people. I think it's inevitably going to fail unless we all come together under one plot, at most two.

Just a suggestion so this lives.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I wish to post agreement with Gnomeninja's statement.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.