New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Nexus University IC

Nexus University: Orientation Day

It's amazing what the mind can grow used to. Even the extraordinary becomes blase with repeated exposure. The wondrous can easily become the mundane through something as simply as seeing it over and over again.

This capability of the mind to cope with the unimaginable is likely the only reason anyone ever gets anything done at all at Nexus University. The sheer size of the place was nothing short of awesome, and very few languages had words to accurately convey the sheer majesty of some of the campus' locations. However, there wasn't much majestic about the room you found yourself in at the moment. Like almost all travel through the myraid dimensions that made up the university, you arrived here, still a bit bewildered from the flurry of moving-in activities, using a small pass-token which activated the University's incredibly complex Magitech transportation system. You noticed a number of other beings here - though it was hard to tell, they looked like students, mostly because they were on time. Fifteen minutes after the scheduled start, a silver-haired elf appeared out of thin air, dressed in a black uniform that had a vaguely military look to it. Producing a glowing touchboard, he ran his eyes over the lot of you, ticking off items quickly and muttering softly under his breath. At last he snapped his fingers, sending the glowing blue device back into the etherspace whence it had come - or possibly to clerk's office. It was difficult to tell. Then he gave you all a bright, slightly brittle smile and began to speak, in tones of almost unhealthy good cheer.

Ahhh.. Welcome, welcome one and all... I'm not sure if all of you have recieved a formal welcome yet... You will have noticed by now that despite our best efforts in the Administrative department, the University exists in more or less a state of controlled chaos at any given point. I do believe one of the professors has created a device to try to model it - though last I checked, it had started spouting smoke and repeating verses from the Necronomicon backwards... He trailed off, blinking, then seemed to realize where he was once more. I do apologize... too much work, not enough Reverie, you know... in any case, welcome to the university. You've all been accepted as graduate students, and so before you go to meet your respective professors I'm here to see if you have any general questions about the university. We in the Administrative department understand the transition to such an... imposing campus can be difficult, so we're trying to ease the process out a bit... One of the ways we do that is by encouraging new students to exchange information and get to know other new students, so you can engage in the learning process together, in a more efficient and enjoyable way.

Beaming brightly at all of you, he paused for a moment before continuing, looking vaguely disappointed at the lack of applause, for just a moment. Now, you've all been settled into your quarters as appropriate to your needs, and each of you have been given the code that you can use with your Universal Transport Key that links to your particular residence hall or off-campus housing location, so feel free to exchange codes if you want. I'll give you a few moments to introduce yourselves, and when you're ready, see me and I'll give you the code to transfer yourself to your private meeting with the professor who you'll be instructed by and working for. And if you have any general questions about the campus or the University, ask and I will answer to the best of my ability.

So saying, the elf moved to a corner, seating himself in a simple wooden chair and quickly becoming absorbed in paperwork

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Nexus University IC

Markus runs a hand through his hair for about the seventh time that day. He is very nervous, never having been away from Silvanus before. He was also never very good at social interaction. He looks around, trying to pick out someone normal looking from the crowd. He eventually settles on what appears to be an ordinary human (Coin), and walks over. "Hello, what's your name? I'm Markus."
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2008-06-09 at 08:10 AM.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Mark squinted his eyes a little to see past the others, but he knew something wasn't right from the moment he was dropped in the room. He heard glimpses of the elf's speech, but what really caught his attention was the, "... Accepted as graduate students." He closed his eyes, thinking, I think the Magitech system messed up again... When he heard no more from the elf, he stepped through the jumble of people, walking leisurely up to him.

"Sir, no disrespect, but I think the Magitech system had a problem again. I'm, um, I'm an undergrad, so..." His voice trailed off a little as he motioned towards the others in the room. He continued, asking,"Do you know to where I should be going?"
    Last edited by GnomeNinja; 2008-06-09 at 05:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

John looked around for a while, eventually, he walked over to the giant crystal-man and spoke telepathcly saying "How are you? and speaking of that who are you?
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

John looked around for a while, then, eventually went over to the crystal golem and, speaking telepathcly said "Who are you? what are you? Where are you from? When are you from? how are you? would you like some food?
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

The large Stone-man, carrying whal looks like a large stone shere, flinches as it recieves the telepathic messages and tries unsuccessfully to shrink back against the wall in an almost comical fashion.

((A mind is a mind, so telepathy should work, however, gleaning information from the mind may be a bit more difficult, seeing as Geode has no "brain" so to speak))

What returns to John through the telepathy is a garble of grinding and clicking noises accompanied by flashes of yellow and dull red light. Though the method is strange, it is obviously a display of discomfort and apprehension and also...understanding?

A sound issued from an opening on the creature's back (yes, back) as it pointed to itself. It sounds are muffled by the grinding of stone and a loud humm, but a name is discernable.

Geode

The giant then poined to John with a large, jagged finger of layered rock. A flash of geen and yellowish light suggesting inquisitivness issued from the crystals composing the visible parts of Geode's interrior.

((I will allow further probing of the mind if Jhon want's to try it, but Geode is old. The torrent of information may be a bit much to handle, Especially if pressed with Who or What questions))

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hearing the voice at his shoulder, Charles Henry Anstron springs from his chair, spinning around in a blur. As he does so, Markus' hand begins to rise almost of its own volition.

"Hey Markus!"

The high-five hits with such exuberant force that Markus' hand stings slightly, although it is obvious that no ill intent was meant.

"Wonderful to meet you an' all that! Name's Charles, but don't use that boring moniker. Call me Coin."

This is obviously not someone with Markus' social difficulties. From his styilistically tossled blond hair to the soles of his brilliantly white dress shoes the man drips exuberance and charisma, and seems to be, at least for the moment, brimming with excess energy.

Coin claps Markus on the shoulder and gives him a good-natured grin, the brilliance of which almost lights up the room.

"'Scuse me a moment, won't ya? Thanks, Markus...knew I could count on ya!"

It is only after Coin departs that Markus realizes that he didn't, in fact, tell him yes.

Watching Coin's progress through the room is like watching a cyclone. He doesn't stop; he just keeps walking, talking, waving, and smiling until everyone in the room knows his name and face. When he finally makes his way back to Markus, he cups his hands around his mouth and speaks to the room at large.

"ATTENTION PLEASE! IF WE'RE ALL INTRODUCING OURSELVES ANYWAY, LET'S MAKE THIS EASY. EVERYONE OVER HERE, PLEASE!"

A wave of his hand later the university chairs have been flung against the walls--barely missing the administrator--and a motley collection of far more comfortable chairs have arranged themselves in a circle in the center of the room. It looks like someone has put an antique store on shuffle, but it's better than the university's hard wooden affairs.

Coin sits down, snaps his fingers, and takes a long sip of the resulting beverage before setting it down in disgust.

"Also, can anyone here summon a decent martini on the first try? I keep getting whiskey..."

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Switching to draconic
    Sorry, do you speak any languages? He then tries it again in whatever pidgin speech is spoken around Campus.
    Turning to Coin
    I'll take the whiskey
    Names John, well, not actually John, but no-one can pronounce my proper name, not even my parents.. Anyway, who are you? speaking of which, what are you? Since, you know, most people can't summon alcohol at will, you could make millions man!
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2008-06-09 at 07:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

9. - Top - End - #9

Mark plugs his ears as he hears the yell from behind him, and swivels around just in time to dodge a chair flying at him. He stumbles out of the way, looking up to see the other students befiddled as well as more comfortable chairs pop into place. He the hears a young man ask, confidently, about conjuring a martini. A student on the side shouts, "What the Nine? A martini? You just did this kreife, and you can't make alchohol?"

Mark looks down at himself, straightening his pants.

"Oy, boy, did he say make a martini? Well, you see, all you have to do is take a bit of gin, add some flavor, probably orange and some olive or lemon, and..." A voice invaded Mark's mind, that of one of his some-amoun-of-greats-grandfather. He rolled his eyes, trying to shut him out, but another voice invaded, No, you ninny, he mean making one magically. Honestly, why my mother married you, I have no idea... Anyways, Mark, deary, I think you learned some Liquid Creation spells last semester. A martini exactly, though, that might be tough. Here's a suggestion...". Mark responded mentally, "Yes, thank you, I think I can handle it. How about some ... badminton?" He projected them back into his mind for them to play.

He waved his hand in the air, saying a few words and using the modifiers his female ancestor had suggested. A liquid and a lemon slice appeared in the air, hovering for a second before falling onto the floor. He had forgotten to make a glass.
    Last edited by GnomeNinja; 2008-06-09 at 07:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems you forgot something telepathically
    He then shoots a small jet of flame at the martini and sees what happens.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

11. - Top - End - #11

Marcus hears the voice in his head, and responds telepathically, "Get out of my head, and please stay out." He then plays around with a few magical gestures, seeing if he can get any sort of glass to appear, after a couple of tries and a handful of sand, he stops.

He turns again to the elf, asking, "Please sir, I'd like to know where I should be going. I'm a second-semester undergraduate student here. Thank you so much." He fidgets a little with the bag strap across his chest as he asks.
    Last edited by GnomeNinja; 2008-06-09 at 07:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Markus raises his eyebrows briefly. Hoo-boy...this will be interesting. He walks over, pulling up a chair.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Names Mike. Well, I guess it really isn't, but thats something you can pronounce. You hear come in a voice that hisses and pops like a fire as it speaks.I'm a salamander, hence the rather...fiery look I have. Anyone who looks can tell what he means. He has a humanoid shape, but flaming (literally) red hair, orange skin, and blue eyes, but not the normal blue. Those near him can feel the heat coming off of him. He waves his hands and mutters, trying for a martini, but unfortunately makes a margarita. Dang. I always confuse those two. Anyone want this? He asks, holding the glass up. Its a bit warm, but still good.

Go Tigers!

14. - Top - End - #14

Coin carefully edges his spotless shoes away from the now burning alcohol on the ground. Then he raises a hand, snaps his fingers, and, from where once was nothing but air, tosses a golden disc towards John.

"I'm Coin, remember? That's my calling card. As for what I am, I'm just an ordinary guy with a bit of a magic problem. And I'm afraid I couldn't really make a killing with the alcohol...can't exactly sell something if you're not sure what you're about to make, and it's awkward to inadvertently sell someone bottled aardvark."

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

eh, why not. Walking over,? being carefull not to hit anyone with his chair and speaking telepathicly. Anyway, hope no-one minds the mind-speak. I'm still working on my accent for mouth-speak.
    If the margarita is passed over, he holds it with his tounge and drains it into his throat.
    So, does anyone besides the Currency guy have a prouncable full name?
    To Coin
    We're in a University were half the people don't have a concept of currency. I'm pretty sure no-one will care what they're drinking halfway through a frat party. Turning his snought and blowing a bit of steam at the undergrad You might even stop someone like him from growing up to be a drunk
    Last edited by puppyavenger; 2008-06-09 at 08:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

16. - Top - End - #16

Mark turns as he feels the large dragon pass by him. As he hears the question in his mind, he first of all says, "I do mind the telepathy. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't want foreign thoughts in his mind, for one reason or another." He then sighs a little and adds, again verbally, "Well, I'm Mark. But I shouldn't even be here, and I guess I'll be going soon. Oh, and I don't drink. I've, uh, seen what it does to people, plus people of my family are forbidden."
    Last edited by GnomeNinja; 2008-06-09 at 08:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Markus gets comfortable in his chair, swinging a leg over the side. He takes out a piece of...something. It looks like a red circle. Markus pops it in his mouth and begins chewing. He then looks at John. "Please don't be condescending. Arrogance isn't a good personality trait."
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2008-06-09 at 08:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Snorting loudly and with much steam
    Likthe Thatssss Stoped anyone befooore than, a few seconds laterin mind-speech (not to Mark) Yes! got the accent!
    Spoiler
    Show

Playing

Dragon Avatar by Serp

19. - Top - End - #19

Geode was stil getting used to these strange creatures. The flying chairs did nothing to calm him down. The people from the university that had first approached him told him that there would be no trouble, but he was starting to have doubts. He tried to sneak, unsuccessfuly, behind the dragon. It was obviously not human and seemed agreeable enough. As he settled the large sphere down he accidentally tripped on the dragon's tail.

Sitting in the large crater he made in the floor, he said meekley.

I don't drink.

20. - Top - End - #20

"It's stopped my entire family, dragon." He points at the dragon a she talks, his other hand resting against his messenger bag. "Actually, not me, or Elsa, and probably some others... but you're on the right track boy." The voice reverberates in his head; his anger must have lowered the blocks too much. He looks at the floor and blinks a little, regaining his concentration. He then looks back up at the dragon, finishing with "And I'm sure plenty of others as well. You're not even humanoid; do you even know my culture or many others?"

21. - Top - End - #21

Markus looks at Mark, still chewing. "Your entire family doesn't drink? That seems...odd. Are they some form of priesthood?" He draws his leg back down, leaning forward.

22. - Top - End - #22

Curiosly, Geode extended a finger towards a puddle of spilled drink. The finger began to flow into a slender spire and as the tip touched the puddle, the molecules settled on the finger, Geode became confused.

Humans poison themselves willingly?

He paused as his crystals shed a light blue collor.

What is, Culture?

23. - Top - End - #23

Markus looks at Geode. "Yes. It's all psychological." he taps his head. "It isn't a fast poison, or even one that usually poisons the drinker, physically at least. Some people enjoy the taste, while others like to be drunk. In some cases, it helps them forget about whatever troubles they have in their lives. Now then, culture...how does one explain culture? It's like...common acts or things that people are supposed to do as part of a society or group. Like greeting people who you know or, in fact, drinking."

24. - Top - End - #24

Mark looks at the fellow in the chair, brushing a strand of hair out of his face, and responds, In a manner of speaking. I don't know where you come from, but my family is roughly equivalent to more highly cultured shamans." He then hears a rough voice, and turns around to see a moving statue. Not that he's surprised by much at the academy, but he sees it change colors and shape slightly. He makes out a question, though he notices it doesn't seem to come from the beings 'face,' as it were. He responds to what he thinks it asked, "Technically poison, no. Destroy minds and consciences, as well as resiavi yes." He smiles a little and takes a seat in one of the comfortable chairs. Well, might as well get comfortable. This is an interesting crowd.

25. - Top - End - #25

Markus shifts his head to the side at Mark's answer. "I...see. That makes sense. I've heard of roughly forty seven similar positions. Is there a particular reason for it, or is it just TWTAD?"

26. - Top - End - #26

Mark looks at Markus and turns his head to the side, asking "TWTAD? What's that? And who are you, anyways?"
    Last edited by GnomeNinja; 2008-06-09 at 09:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Markus smiles. "T.W.T.A.D. stands for The Way Things Are Done. It's a fairly common expression where I come from. You see, I am from the plane of Silvanus, a plane highly advanced both magically and technologically. We have a great deal of knowledge about the nature of other planes and specific planes as well, although that isn't really my area of expertise. As for me..." he stands, crossing his straightened right and diagnally across his chest as he bows. "I am Markus Eventee."
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2008-06-09 at 09:37 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Mark stands up as well and attempts to mimic Markus' bow. "Sounds like an interesting place. And yes, I suppose it is just the way things are done. Nerics just don't drink; I'd guess it came about because making people who have naliedi - oh, what is the closest word? I guess, 'special powers,' - So, giving alchohol to people with powers sometimes would be a distinctly bad idea." He sits back down and scratches the back of his head, giving a small smile.

29. - Top - End - #29

Addressing Markus, the crystals became a bright orange.

Then you may be interested in this.

He placed his hand on the stone sphere. The surface rippled and flowed away as Geode withdrew something from it's depths. As he did, no hole was left behind. He held up a medium sized, seemingly unremarkable rock, but on closer inspection, is filled with tiny crystals and intricate ridges.

He stroked a protrusion on the rock, and it erupted in light, projecting "darkness" instead of light. From the darkness shone bright lights of many colors; blue, red, orange, white, blue and even brown. It is apparent that they are stars and planets in vivid details.

This is the world from which I came.

With a few ripples of the stone that made his fingers, the stellar map rotated and focused on an enlarging point. A medium sized yellow star and a green and blue planet.

This is what I saw, what I remembered when I first became conscious of my being. The whole...galaxy was it called?...it may be of interest to you.
    Last edited by Smiley_; 2008-06-09 at 09:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Coin, now sitting happily with something vaguely resembling the desired martini, albeit a lurid green color, nods his head toward Mark and Markus.

"Man's right, Markus. Alcohol and magic don't mix. Remember that."

He takes another sip and grins widely.

"Lucky for me mine is already out of control, eh?"

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions