New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: In the Shadow of Death (IC)

Elia

Stepping up a little her head still pounding but much of her cheer and friendlyness returned now they were in town. "Excuse me sir. We're from Green Brooke Hollow. We've come for Henriks and Offlas wedding. This is Mr Gondel Wynn, Mr Denis, Boar, Everhayt, Mr Mardok, Donny, and I'm Elia don't mind anything Donny says. So if it's alright what's your name?" This lengthly introduction of each of the people in their group broken up by pointing and in Donny case a sort'f apologetic smile.
    "I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    Get on your nerves, Get on your nerves:
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves,
    I know a song that'll get on your nerves," - Nobody

2. - Top - End - #122

Schella

Schella steps forward, then, and takes a breath, but Elia cuts her off. She holds it until Elia finishes, and then says, appending seamlessly to the end of Elia's introduction, And I'm Schella, and despite Elia's not introducing me, I'm a friend of these people's as well. She says this with a smile and a laugh, clearly intending to introduce herself by herself, anyway, and therefore certainly not offended by Elia's leaving her out--she just doesn't want the rider to be confused. But I agree--What's your name?
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

3. - Top - End - #123
    Orc in the Playground

Donny

Donny merely glances at Elia's up-front refutation of all that he might possibly say in the future and smiles tiredly up at the horse-seated man waiting, giving him a chance to introduce himself unlike the uncouth others.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Everhayt

The young man stays in the back of the group, intimidated by the rider. He doesn't remember him from his previous stay in willow's end, he feels quite weak after the gnoll's experience and the sword and armour were scary enough even without the clawed foot. I'd rather keep away from sharp things for a while... he thinks, recalling his near-death experience.
    a dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords at dawn

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Denis

"We had some trouble on the road, sir - a pack of gnolls. Some of us need to see your healer, and all of us need a rest."

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Here for the wedding, right. You must be family from Green Brooke Hollow. Well, my name is Honesty, and I am the sheriff of Willow Bend as appointed by the magistrate. This a town of laws," the man says, eying your spears, bows, and warhammers, "and I will not have unauthorized persons sporting weapons around town like brigands. If you would kindly hand over your weaponry, I will store it away at the jail," he points behind himself with a large, gloved hand at an ugly, but imposing, stone building in the middle of town, "where you may come to retrieve it once you wish to leave town. It is there that I or one of my deputies may be found if you have need for the hard fist of the law." He leans down from his horse and extends an arm towards you, waiting for you to give up your weapons.
    DMing In the Shadow of Death IC/OOC
    Lorne Keldoryn in Beauty and the Blight of the Black Rose IC/OOC
    Grudok Blackclaw in Legends of Arhade IC/OOC
    Marcellus Ashhad-Verinus in The Age of Wyrms IC/OOC
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Donny

Donny's eye twitches a little at the man's name, but he nods politely and answers.

"Yes, you are quite right. Blades are hardly practical wedding attire. Fortunately I have no need to carry any. Donny Lune, Wizard of Green Brook Hollow at your service, my good sir," Donny says, taking the extended hand and shaking it firmly. He turns to face the rest of the people from Green Brook. "Well, what are you waiting for, people? Lets get those weapons stored away nice and safe."

A barely concealed grin threatens to break out across Donny's face as he hams up his 'official' act, though he is careful to hide this from the sheriff.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check to see if Honesty believes he is sincere: (1d20+3)[4]
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

[Ooc: apologies but I didn't want to ruin that priceless roll, (haven't worked out the rules for the rolls on this board yet) and I thought that Donny ought to respond to such an abysmal failure.]

Donny glances back at the sheriff and doubles over with laughter at the incredulity he sees painted across the man's face. Wiping a tear from his eye Donny straightens up enough to speak again.

"I am honestly sorry, Honesty. I didn't mean to..."

But Donny can't say any more because he is laughing too much. Soon he sits down on the ground gasping for breath, but the mirth quickly falls from his face and as it does you can see the weariness of a long march, a sleepless night, a lack of food and hours of intense worry in his haggard and pale face.
    Last edited by Dark_Stalion; 2008-08-20 at 04:09 PM.

Kurt

9. - Top - End - #129

Schella

Not holding a weapon (as her dagger is hidden in her dress), Schella simply curtsies and says Nice to meet you, Honesty! I'm glad we don't have to carry those things around anymore. They remind me of the gnolls. At this, she has a stage-shudder, obviously an act, but a sincere one.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unlike some people

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Denis

Denis tugs the sling loose from the spot where he'd carried it tucked into his belt. "Well, I suppose it wasn't doing me much good anyway," he says, handing it over. "Here you go."

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

Boar

Boar immediately hands over the spear and large bow. "These are the some of the weapons the gnolls that attacked us had. After we were attacked, we thought we might need them." He hands over his quiver with only a slight hesitation. He pauses before handing over his bow. "Sir, may I keep the bow. It was Fathers. I will unstring it if you ask, but I would be very glad if I could keep it."
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

12. - Top - End - #132

Elia

"Nice to meet you Mr Honest-" But before Elia could even finish her sentence Donney had broken into laughter. Staring at him obvious she was annoyed Donny was yet again being a pain in the ass of the entire multiverse Elia straightened out her dress as Donny finished laughing chiming in afterwards "Don't worry about him I'll make sure he doesn't cause much trouble. So... where are we supposed to be going?" With that she let Shcella finish and watch the others hand over their weapons and Boar questioning about his bow.
    Last edited by Valgunn; 2008-08-21 at 03:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Everhayt

Oh, well, I guess we are safe here, yes? says the young man as he gives in his sling. Everhayt doubts for a minute and then sighs, searching into his backpack. He extracts a cloth bundle and hands it over to Honesty. Please, take care of that he says. It's not that valuable, but it was a gift from my father too. He doesn't unpackage it, as if he was ashamed of having brought it to the wedding. Elia's question seems to snap him out of it, and as she finishes he adds, excited The gifts! we have some gifts to deliver before the wedding! however, the quick movements make the recent wound hurt ouch... and we should also find a healer... he mutters.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Honesty nods curtly at Boar, "Alright, make sure you keep it unstrung at all times... and I don't want to see you poking, prodding, or in any other way hassling the townsfolk, with or without your bow." He turns his horse, and begins to slowly trot down the path, "All those who need to visit the local herbalist to have your wounds looked at, follow. Otherwise, Corl will lead you to Henrik's abode. I believe he is expecting you."

"You heard the man, follow me this way and I'll get you to Henrik's safe and sound,"
    the halfling starts down another path, cheerfully whistling to himself, not looking back to see if any of you are following.
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

15. - Top - End - #135
    Orc in the Playground

Boar

Boar removes the string from his bow and places it in his pack. Then follows Corl. Once they are out of earshot of Honesty, "Corl, does he treat everyone he meets as though they are common criminals? What reason have I given him to make him think I would harass people for no reason?"
    NOTE

"Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

16. - Top - End - #136

Elia

Shuffeling her body a bit as they moved knowing that perhaps it was because Boar was half orc her mouth opening to say so but then closing again quickly thinking better of it. "Perhaps it was those Gnolls? I would be on edge if Gnolls were prowling about a town I said I'd protect." Her voice sounding sure and honest and despite what she originally thought this sounded a good explanation too for Mr Honest and his rough manner. So with her new explanation in and the old out Elia perked up a little taking in for the first time the novelty of being in such a large town gawking at the buildings and how many people were around.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Everhayt

Hmph! Boar is a hero! he and Gondal saved us from those Gnolls, you know? You could be more polite... the young man frowns. He wasn't going to harm anyone. he mumbles. Complaining, Everhayt follows Honesty. I will meet you later, friends he says, before splitting. I think I need some of that healing. he sighs. I just hope he doesn't give me a bad tasting medicine he says while following the rider.

18. - Top - End - #138

Schella

Schella follows Corl. You know, Elia, that makes sense. I wonder if he thinks there are more of them out there? Despite wishing to appear causal, Schella continues to reflect on the Gnolls, unable to let the experience go. It seems that every time she opens her mouth, it's to say something else to imply how little they scared her.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Denis

Denis trudges along with the rest of the group, Val at his heels. "Well, they must be worried about something. What, I don't know, but-" he fails to stifle a yawn, "Honestly, I don't even want to worry about it right now."

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Those Following Honesty:

The rider leads you along a worn dirt path that skirts the outside of the town before heading off into the country side. The path leads you back to the outer fringe of the forest where a small log cabin lies nestled amongst the tree, wisps of smoke wafting from the chimney.

Honesty dismounts from his horse as he reaches the cabin and, walking the rest of the way up the pathway, gives the tiny door three long knocks before pushing it open with a loud SQUAWWK! "Yannie! I have with me some travelers who are in need of your assistance!" An older halfling woman with steel gray hair bounces into the room, a bundle of herbs clasped in one hand and a pruning knife in the other. "Come in, come in, watch your heads. I'm afraid this house is a little cramped for the likes of you folks," she says, beckoning you into her home with her knife.

Those Following Corl:

Corl leads you through the center of town, next to the colorful halfling quarter, and then down to the docks. He leads you to a shabby, wooden, one-story house, probably a three roomer. "Well, here it is. I'll see ya all at the wedding." Corl grunts as he works to push the thick oaken door open, revealing Henrik sitting on a rickety wooden foot stole. Henrik is a big man, with thick, dockworker's arms and a tussled crown of golden hair. He's wearing just his leather breaches, but a canvass cloth is draped across his broad shoulders. Behind him, standing on the table, is an old halfling woman, the features of her face hidden behind a mask of wrinkles and her white hair gathered in a simple bun. She holds a pair of large, iron shears in both hands, which she uses to snip away at Henrik's uncouperative mop of hair.

"Hey, I was wondering when the lot of you would have decency to show up. I was expecting you to arrive last night," he gets up to greet you, sending a shower golden hair clippings raining to the floor. He strides forward to shake your hands, but stops as he notices your blood spattered clothing and exhausted looks. "What happened to you all? Are alright? Is there anything I can do to help?"
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Donny

Donny hesitates, his eyes following Elia as she heads off after the metal clad monster who calls himself sheriff. Reluctantly he follows the small irritation. By the time they arrive at the cottage Donny is definitely in a bad mood.

"Oh we're fine, just as happy as a damned daisy. You know we're just dying to have our heads split open again because you can't keep your woods clean of BANDITS! I mean BLOODY GNOLLS for crying out loud. Yeh, it was a real pleasant trip, thanks! Nice welcome committee by the way. What is he, another Gnoll? What do you do, breed them?"

Kurt

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Donny (BIG EDIT):

Corl stops for moment as you insult the town's sheriff, his normally cheerful continuance becoming more somber. "The gnolls have been a problem around these parts for as long as I can remember, though the situation has picked up this past year, your lucky that you all made it out of that situation alive and aren't being dragged off Kudan to toil away the rest of your days under the crack of the whip. The Gods know we have lost too many to that fate this last year. Without the sheriff, I don't know who Willow Bend and the surrounding countryside would survive. No one gave Honesty a break when he first arrived, children ran in fear, parents would lock their doors and bolt the shudders whenever he walked by, but the old sheriff, Don Verontia, saw through his outward appearance to see the honesty and loyalty within him, that's how he got his nickname. He's never done a one of us a bad turn, and though he may seem rough and harsh at times, he only has the best interest of the community at heart."

Corl walks the rest of the way to Henrik's in silence.
    Last edited by darkzucchini; 2008-09-06 at 06:05 PM.
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Donny

Donny seethes at the term kid but appears not to be able to find adequate words for a rebuff and settles for quiet glaring.

Kurt

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Denis

"Mistress Yenith?" Denis asks. "Good day to you, ma'am. I'm Denis Champmathieu, I was apprenticed to Old Magda back in Greene Brook Hollow. I wasn't able to do much for my companions on the road - we were in a hurry in case more of those gnoll things showed up and attacked us - but if you need a hand with anything, I'd be glad to be of help in any way I can."

25. - Top - End - #145

Schella

Shut up, Donny. Henrik, it's good to see you. We were, indeed, attacked by gnolls; the ones who aren't here right now have gone to see a healer.

Schella steps into the house, saying But we're all right. Just as fine as we ever were! I'm sure the sheriff will have the others fixed up in no time... how are you, Henrik?

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Denis:

"Yes, yes, that's me. Now take these bandages and I'll make some compresses so we can patch your friends up right and proper. Hows old Magda doing? Still endlessly complain about back problems and her failing vision? Maybe that woman would enjoy the last few years of her life if she didn't focus only on what is bad." The little old halfling thrust a bundle on linen bandages into your hands, then turns to the table where she begins to crush a pile of green herbs into a sticky paste.

Schella:

Spoiler
    Show
    I believe Donny is with the group of people who went with Honesty and not those who went with Corl to Henrik's place.
    Last edited by darkzucchini; 2008-09-04 at 07:07 PM.
    Dromm 'Lumpy' Loderr

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Denis

"She's well, Mistress, thank you," Denis says. "My apprenticeship has only recently ended - she said I was 'able to walk without Old Magda there to hold my hand,' and that I needed to get out into the world for a while - to really see the Great Cycle in action, with my own two eyes - before my training could really be considered 'complete,'" he smiles. Looking back at the others' injuries, he says, "Miss Elia took a nasty knock on the head, young Everhayt had an arrow right through his side, and Gondal here ran afoul of a beast's spear. My Val took an arrow as well - I'll tend to her when I get a chance, she doesn't seem to be as badly hurt." Kneeling, he motions toward the nearest of the injured to come forward and have a seat so that Yenith can look over them.

28. - Top - End - #148

Elia

Looking over at Everhayt and Gondal, Elia couldn't help but feel her wound paled to theirs so she shuffled back a little behind them so they would go first. Even as she did so she rubbed her head a little feeling the lump underneath the bandage.