New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: bigginers game

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default bigginers game

the storm has bean blowing for days blotting out all signsof sun or stars, you have all been called to the local temple of pelagia, where you meet with Chilonna, the local priestess, and Alexander Montcrief, the town mayor. they are standing over jason brown, one of the young fishermen born in the area. he was found unconscois at the gate to the ruined manor house. he claims as you aproach jason skreams somthing and faints. the mayor walks up to you and says "i called you all here because you are all known for your 'abilities', jason claims that he was dared to climb to the top of the ruined lighthouse. but when he opened the door he saw a horible beast that scared him and he ran. i want you to investigate."
    Last edited by lord of pixies; 2008-06-09 at 11:34 PM.
    Thanks to abrdam for da avatar

"There are Three things all wise men fear: the Sea in Storm, a Night with no Moon, and the Anger of a Gentle Man."-- Patrick Rothfuss

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: bigginers game

(OOC: I'm sorry if I screw up, since I'm still kinda new at this... Here's my character... http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=57667

Well... Here we go! )

Raising his right hand, Steven Phillips wiped his wet hair out of his eyes so that he could see the mayor more clearly. "Not to worry, sir. We're the best you can get for this job. We'll make sure that the monster, and any other vile creature we come in contact with, is taken care of in the proper manner. But before we go, lets make sure that we know what we are dealing with..."

The galant warrior focused his green eyes on the unconscious youth on the ground in front of him. "Did he say what sort of monster it was? Or give any clues to its identity? How large it was, if it had claws or fur, what sort of teeth it had... anything?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, um... How do we know when we need to make certain rolls? Like... if I don't know I'm supposed to roll for some mundane task, and I don't... will you point that out, or mention it beforehand? Sorry, this is my first PbP, you know...
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2008-06-10 at 12:27 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Morgainmonde

Is the young man's fright of a magical or mundane nature? Its probably just the shadows playing tricks on him. Though it could be much worse... When do we set out?

Morg studies the area and occupants of the temple in great detail.

Spoiler
    Show
    Are we dealing with the ruined manor or ruined lighthouse, or are they the same? Also, detect magic would identify the school of magic affecting an individual. If this kid's fear was caused by something other than a low common sense score, it would read faint necromancy (for Cause Fear)
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Steve

Looking over to his comrade Morgainmonde, Steve replied: Well, once we figure out what we're in for, I think we should get the appropriate gear. Backpacks and torches, and perhaps a few potions if our funds permit. At least, that is my take on the situation... After that, we should head on towards out destination, and remove the threat as fast as possible."

Turning his attention back towards the mayor, Steve proceeded to essentially try and get as much information out of him as possible. "By the way, what can you tell us about this abandoned building? Who owned it, how long has it been in this state, and what can we expect to find inside of it? This information may, somehow, prove usefull at some point..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Should we have an OOC thread for char sheets, dice rolls, and OOC debates? You know, just so this doesn't get too cluttered...
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2008-06-10 at 12:54 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Syrus

Haveing up to this point, been content to merely observe the scene from a few steps behind her comrades, She states:
    " I have recently finished shopping at the local curiosity shop. I have managed to acquire a wand that should serve us for cure spells, as has morgi, though an emergency potion or two may not be amiss. I also have acquired enough Sunrods to burn for 18 hours, if you only use one at a time, and a lantern that should burn for a good while after that.

She turns to the priestess and inquires "Is there aught we should know of this lighthouse, and in which direction does it lie?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Is it just the four of us Doomcup,lycan,Neoseph, and myself. that seems to be all that has posted recently..

6. - Top - End - #6

Tau Pei

Tau Pei takes a careful survey of his surroundings, a habit of his days back in the kingdom. At last he walks up, eyeing the priestess with a look of wariness, and talks to the mayor:

We'll do what we can. I've heard of monsters taking shelter in old ruins before. The others have already asked what I want to know, so I won't weary you by repeating their questions.

A monster in an abandoned lighthouse? he thinks to himself, that thing must be guarding something valuable.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, it looks like just us for now. Maybe the others will show up later...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

the mayor says that "decades ago, a pompous nobel named Lord Gregor purchased the land north of Fairhaven. he constructed an opulent manor and a tower to entertain guests and house his many trouphies. but a mysterios accident claimed lord gregor's life, soon his servents departed the manor house to seek other employment.

the manor fell into despair. however Fairhaven converted the tower into a lighthouse to aid the local fishermen and passing merchant ships. a local resident named Llewellyn operated the lighthouse. but lately the lighthouse hasent been run, and anybody sent up comes back like jason, if they come back at all." he pauses to let the warning set in " jason claims as he aproached he heard a scream and as he opened the door a skeliton with glowing black eyes rose up and cursed at him. that is when he ran, slaming the door behind him."

Spoiler
    Show
    i KNEW i forgot somthing!!! OOC thread
    Last edited by lord of pixies; 2008-06-10 at 09:55 AM.

"There are Three things all wise men fear: the Sea in Storm, a Night with no Moon, and the Anger of a Gentle Man."-- Patrick Rothfuss

8. - Top - End - #8

HalflingRogueGirl

eek Re: bigginers game

Syrus

Syrus flinches, and even in the gloom and concealed by her cloak, it is obvious that she has paled considerably.
    Undead! She spits out, I am no fan of foes that feel no pain, and only hatred. yet they cannot be allowed to remain in so vital a place as that lighthouse. let us be quick in the hunt, and quicker in our task.

She turns away from the conversation, having no further stomach for it, and trusting her allies to glean whatever information was nessesary for thier task. This is going to be unpleasant she thinks silently to herself, and begins calculating the cost of holy water.

9. - Top - End - #9

Morgainmonde

Well Then. Fellow stalwart defenders of the coin in your purse. Shall we make our way to the manor now, or allow this rain to pass? As long as no one goes near the house anytime soon, the foul creatures lurking there are unlikely to leave the manor. Probably just got tired of the closets they were hiding in.

Morg laughs at his own pun, even if no one else does.

Spoiler
    Show
    Skeletons in the closet. I crack myself up. Is the priestess hot? I don't know what Syrus wants. Tau Pei wants loot, and Steve wants to be the hero. Morg's interested in two things. Booze and Chicks. Depending on the rules for Illicit substances, he might be into that too. To quote Belkar the wise "The Belkster don't have time for the fuglies"
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Tau Pei

He nods his head at what he just heard from the mayor, then thinks about Morgainmonde's question.

"Hmmm... I vote we start towards the manor, though I'll wait if the rest of you decide otherwise."

He examines the temple around him, the murals, the tapestries, the sculptures, taking it all in. His fists clench for a moment, then relax. Bad memories... he thinks to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming this is how the temple's made up, of course. Oh, and Tau Pei is interested in loot only as means to get his throne back, BTW.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

(Sorry for posting late)

Derrick
    Derrick turns around the corner, and walks towards the rest of the group.
    What's going on? I've just been at...

...my local store
    , he says, finishing the sentence.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check:
    (1d20+10)[28]
    Actually, he was buying some illegal poisons...
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-06-10 at 03:42 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

HalflingRogueGirl

Syrus

Syrus raisen an eyebrow at Derricks' late arrival, but refrain's from comment.
    It is true that skeletons don't eat, but we don't know if that's the extent of the problem. Also, however unlikly it may be in this case, undead in random places potentailly mean a master of some sort. I don't think this is something that can wait for long.

Syrus stand by, allowing the implication of her words to sink into her allies. That being said, the weather is terrible. It has been this way for a couple days, no? It should blow itself out by morning, and if not, it is quite possible that the storm is of arcane nature, and will persit for some time yet. I doubt that undue harm will come if we spend the rest of the afternoon preparing, and venture out in the morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Syrus action are primarily governed by apathy. She most often supports the endeavors of her colleages, and expects to get little but her share in whatever take the group ends up with. Her interests in this regard are more towards trinkets and gadgets than truely useful equipment, but she taakes gold readilly. Gross injustice has been known to move syrus to passion, but little else has much effect on her, as she regards normal tragedies as being a fact of life, rather than something for others to struggle against. She harbors a fear and hatred of abberations and undead, considering them to be abominations against nature.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Steve

"I for one think we should wait. This storm is something fierce, and walking in it is a bad idea, in my opinion. By the time we get the manor, we'll be chilled to the bone, and in a state of vast discomfort. It'll be hard to swing a sword or shoot an arrow when you're shivering from the cold, and if one of us gets sick from it, that'll just make things worse.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, lord of pixies, you never told me what my starting equipment, like backpacks, potions, ect, should be... Am I the only one who didn't start with anything?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Koris

“Did someone say sick?” He asks as he makes his approach, His healer’s robes are well used and do little to hide his Elven appearance. His heavy bag slung over his shoulder as he makes his way to the group.

“Terribly sorry about being late… I had a few things I had to take care of before arriving.” He apologizes as he straightens out his clothes. An odd silver bauble hangs from his neck, it looks like a pentacle with an Eye emblazoned on it. Those familiar with the Arcane or Divine arts recognize it as a silver Holy Symbol of Baccob, the Uncaring. His deep hazel hair is a bit untidy, but tied back. His eyes tell of the far off forest, deep and verdant as he gazes around.
    Caliel, The Golden Prince
    Calling all Clones - Beta Team, Cast of Characters
    ---
    ~For every Light there must be Shadow,
    For every Hope there is Despair.
    For deep in Dreams do live the Nightmares,
    And in darkness, we are there.~

15. - Top - End - #15

OrcBarbarianGuy

A brutish figure steps out of the shawdows and into the dim light of the church. At 6'11" he towers over every one in the church. He makes presents himself in his full battle dress armor reflecting the torch light. First he grunts and then speaks. "Obviously you will need my club at your side. She's been screaming for battle since I was released from the army. Cracking skulls will do her fine to though. I want a fair share of any loot we find though. He examins the smaller bodies around the room and thinks to himself If any of them die its not on my back. I'm there for the battle. I've fought undead before, they unnatural, they need to be destroyed.How far is this manor anyways if its under a mile we should leave now.
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

16. - Top - End - #16

Derrick
    Do that mean we're going to explore the mayor's house? Then, count me in.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-06-10 at 03:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Steve

Steve arched an eyebrow at his comrade. "Mayor's house? Who said anything about his residence? We're cleaning an abandoned mansion out of monsters.

Then, stepping closer to Derrick, the fighter dropped his voice to a low whisper that only the half-elf could hear. Although, I doubt any of the items left within its walls have any proper ownership... You may yet be able to sate your appetite for shiney and/or valuable things...

18. - Top - End - #18

Morgainmonde

Looking at Tau Pei clenching his fists
    I know how you feel. This place's feng shui is leaving me with all manner of unnatural vibes. It's been, like, 25 and a quarter minutes since my last ale.

As Derrick waltzes in
    You havent missed anything. Get your gear ready and lets see if we cant scare up some decent ghost stories for the tavern in this ruined mansion.

Thinking aloud
    Satdav isn't going to fit, is she...

Spoiler
    Show
    sense motive check (1d20+1)[4]
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Derrick
    It wasn't the mayor's house? I believed t was his house, since it has him who... Nevermind.

Derrick turned his head against steve, whispering:
    Yeah, just what i thought too.

Derrick turnes away from Steve, speaking in a loud voice:
    Let's get on! I don't want to stand here the rest of the day.

20. - Top - End - #20

Morgainmonde

Those among our ranks who be witches please say 'Aye'. The rest of us will survive a little bit of rain. Let's get a move on. Last one to break a skull buys the first round. And I like to drink the expensive stuff first! None of that moose puckey until atleast the third round.

Spoiler
    Show
    Still waiting on a hotness reading for the priestess. If she ranks about 7/10 or higher I get her scry number before heading out (or atleast try to). As a guidline, 10/10 requires a will save or be feebleminded. 5/10 requires about 3 bottles of something dwarven to look like a good idea. 1/10 requires wild empathy rather than diplomacy to make friendly.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

HalflingRogueGirl

Syrus

Seeing that the majority intent is to leave at once, Syrus takes the mayor by the elbow and draws him to one side, so as to escape to comotion. Sorry, about that. they can be a bit rowdy. Traveling all the time does that to people. Now about this mansion, if you can tell us the location it is in, as well as any special dangers you know of, we'll be on our way.

Spoiler
    Show
    wow, the party grew fast. Tally ho then

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

(((the priestes is about an 8/10 and you guys are wimps it's rain!!!! although i like the roleplaying portain of this)))

the mayor says that the sooner you go the better, seeing as they cant risk any more merchant ships getting sunk because the lighthouse isnt running.

p.s. the rain is mundane (no magic)
    Last edited by lord of pixies; 2008-06-10 at 06:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

OrcBarbarianGuy

Let's head out then. Oy Mayor where is said light house, give me some directions so I can destroy this menace faster What is a light house anyway I aint ever heard of one of them before And are you sending anyone to turn this light on perchance or do we have to kill your skeletons and figure that out too.

This is said while he walks briskly towards the mayor.

Spoiler
    Show
    changed my color noticed it was already taken.
    Last edited by RagnarRock; 2008-06-10 at 06:48 PM.
    GENERATION 13: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

24. - Top - End - #24

Tau Pei

To Morgainmonde's reaction:

No, it's personal... I'd rather not talk about it...

Watches as the rest of the party arrives, then says:

I agree. Now that we're all here, we can make short work of anything in that manor.

To Odin:

I can tell you've been in quite a few battles. It'll be an honor to fight at your side.

He indicates general courtesy to the rest.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does any of that require rolls? I'll roll if they do.

25. - Top - End - #25

OrcBarbarianGuy

After surveying the humans stengths and weaknesses Odin respond in a direct manner

Honor is for those who have never experienced war. Honor implies mercy. I do not have the patience for mercy. Respect is something though that i understand and if you can prove to me that you can fight in that tin can of yours you may gain some. Though your strength is evident in your body and for that you have some of my respect. What is your name worthy full-breed.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Steve

Placing his right hand on the hilt of his greatsword, which rested upon his back, Steve nodded towards the door. "Well then, once everyone is prepared, lets get on our way. The fact that the lighthouse is required for ships does add some urgency to our little quest. If we dally too long, we may have the blood of innocent sailors upon our hands... And we don't want that, now do we?"

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingRogueGirl

Syrus

Being satisfied with the answers she has gotten, and not wishing to be such a crowded place any longer than nessesary, Syrus draws her cloak tieter about her, and heads for door. As she passes Steve she mutters " Need anything from the store? Gonna pick up a couple extra Sunrods. Gonna need em in a group this big. Back in ten minutes...

28. - Top - End - #28

To Odin, smiling:
    My name is Gen Tau Pei. The respect is mutual.

Though Odin's words did sting a little. When I ruled my kingdom, entire armies moved on my command, and I did my best to be there with them when they did. Now Father, there was someone who wouldn't have known war if it bit him in the face...

To Steve:
    You're right. We should deal with this quickly, as soon as Syrus gets back.

To Syrus as she passes, whispering, giving her a sack filled with 1000GP:
    If they have them, get me three potions of Cure Moderate Wounds, would you?

Spoiler
    Show
    Going by market value in DMG, plus extra in case of markups. Removed from inventory: one sack, 1000GP. If I've messed up again, don't hesitate...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Steve

Nodding to Syrus, Steve unslings his backpack and hands it to her. "If you will be so kind, please use the money in here to purchase a few torches, some potions of Cure Moderate Wounds, and perhaps some food. There's 1000 gold coins in there to pay for it all. Thank you for offering..."

Turning to the rest of the group, he stated: "Once she gets back, we'll be on our way. If you have aything else to do before we go, you'd bets get it done with now.

30. - Top - End - #30

HalflingRogueGirl

Syrus

Accepting the purses, as she goes, Syrus plods through storm to the curiosities shop, and after some haggling that gets nowhere, spends900 gp out of each for 6 potions of Cure Moderate wounds. Out of her own purse, she spends 42 gp to purchase a torch for each party member, A two-yard section of cotton, an extra pint of oil, and 8 more sunrods. Rolling her purchases into the cotton to protect them from the storm, put the bundle into her pack, thanks the (grateful) merchant for his time, and returns to the temple.

She shakes herself off as she enters, scattering rain-water and to the hallowed marble tiles
    Here's your change she says, tossing the considerably lighter coin purses to thier respective owners.
    And here are your goods handing the three of vials to each of them.